WashU St. Louis 2018

Carly Rae Jepsen

I just made my official decision to go to WUSTL yesterday! It feels great to finally know where I am going to live in four months, after having started with an initial application pool of 15 different schools in every corner of the country. 

I have some friends and distant relatives in St. Louis that are helping to guide me through the process of finding housing. Once I have a few good options, I will have to go down to St. Louis and scope out the residences in person.

Anyone going to WUSTL in 2018, feel free to send me a message or link up with me!

Hey! Not going to WashU but I currently work here as a research tech. I live in the Central West End and love it. The Monticello is a great, lower-cost building (many of the CWE can be quite expensive), but there are plenty of nice places around. If you are wanting a bit more of a nightlife scene, The Grove has some great options as well. I grew up in University City and loved living near the Loop, another awesome area. If anyone has questions or needs recs feel free to ask! Sorry to crash your thread, thought it might be helpful ;)

@TheScienceHoney I saw you live in CWE. I just found an apt in the CWE and would just like to know a little more. I have already visited the place and the apt is great and the location seems to be pretty awesome! Can you tell me about what it's like to live there, favorite restaurants, parking (my apt said that most people park on the street which seems like a pain), culture/nightlife/etc?

On 4/14/2018 at 1:25 PM, speechpathy said:

@TheScienceHoney I saw you live in CWE. I just found an apt in the CWE and would just like to know a little more. I have already visited the place and the apt is great and the location seems to be pretty awesome! Can you tell me about what it's like to live there, favorite restaurants, parking (my apt said that most people park on the street which seems like a pain), culture/nightlife/etc? 

Sure! I love living in the CWE - it's safe, but there's lots of options for restaurants and entertainment close by. I'm a dive bar person so I really enjoyed Tom's, which is just your typical bar with trivia nights and karaoke sometimes, and right next door is International Tap House, which has a wonderful selection of beer. They also do live music and trivia. Pagan Wine Bar is a cute little wine bar in a former bookshop with great handmade cocktails and a great wine selection. There are so many options for dining no matter your taste. I really love Rasoi, which is an Indian restaurant with a tasty lunch buffet, and Sushi Koi, which has nice happy hour deals in the evenings and yummy bubble tea in the day. Gamlin Whiskey House is a little more upscale but perfect for a fancy date night, same with Wildflower. Taste is a cute little place that also has nice happy hour deals. If you like dancing, Viva Nightclub is really fun. When my friends and I would go out in the CWE we would usually just bar hop as everything is in close walking distance. There are plenty of places to hang though I think most places close by 1 or 3 AM, depending. I also spent many weekends at Coffee Cartel studying, they are open 24 hours and serve up ice cream, sandwiches, salads, a huge variety of coffee, and some alcoholic beverages as well. A Shake Shack just went in in the CWE and people are going crazy over it, it's not bad in my opinion, if you like burgers and shakes.

Whole Foods and Straubs are convenient for grocery shopping, and if they are a little too pricey for a grad student budget, there is a Schnucks (local supermarket chain) right down Lindell. Also, the place I get my brows done, Roya's, is next to that and if you need a brow lady, she's the best. There is a public library on Euclid that's really nice, but you'll of course also have access to WashU's libraries which are far bigger. During the summer the CWE neighborhood association throws a few block parties and other fun outdoor events with lots of local restaurants and bars, live music and dancing, craft shows, etc.

If you're a movie goer, the Chase Park Plaza Hotel has a theater and they do $5 movies on Wednesdays. They also have a bar there. Forest Park is nearby and is nice when the weather is warm for running, biking, walking, or taking in some of the great free entertainment: the Zoo, Art Museum, and Science Center all have free admission. In the early summer, the local Shakespeare company puts on Shakespeare in the Park, which is also free. Depending on where you are in the CWE it's easy to walk to Forest Park, or hop on the Metro at the CWE station (you'll get a free student Metro pass, which is really convenient.)

In addition to the CWE itself, The Grove is another close by neighborhood that has an even more vibrant nightlife. Here you can find a huge variety of bars, food, outdoor patio spaces, a brewery (Urban Chestnut), most of the local gay bars, live entertainment, and more. It's just a few minutes away from the CWE by car and opens up so many more options.

It's a really fun and vibrant place to live. I will say though, parking can definitely be a pain. My apartment has a parking garage that costs extra but it's so worth it because sometimes, especially on the weekends, you will drive around for 20 minutes before finding a parking spot, and you might get a metered spot. That is one of the only downsides to living in the CWE.

@TheScienceHoney thank you for all of the great info! That's a great list of places to check out, so I will definitely look into those restaurants/bars/coffee shops. I live only two hours away to I'm pretty familiar with St. Louis, but wasn't too familiar with CWE. The only thing that I am worried about is the parking situation. I found an apt already and they said they have a wait list for their garage, which I heard was only one floor or something like that, so idk if I would even get a spot. I will probably add my name though cause driving around for 20 minutes is probably the last thing I'll want to do after attending grad school classes all day lol.

Thanks again for the great info!

I am having a tough time finding a place ready to move in August, most places want an immediate move-in. I found a Skinker Debaliviere place that looks nice but they would want me to sign an 18-month lease which I'd rather not do. I think I'll wait til June to look, and that way I can save more for the deposit. That is, unless something comes up on the Quadrangle website now which I doubt.

I'm leaning towards University City or Clayton South of Delmar right now.

• 3 weeks later...