So you didn't get into the Ph.D.

Today I got an email from the professor I wanted to work with from my number one choice school saying I was off the wait-list and that they couldn't admit me this cycle. I have been bouncing from OK to really bummed. (When I was initially wait-listed I was crying and ridiculous). I only applied to 4 schools so that was definitely one of my issues but I responded to him, saying I was disappointed but not discouraged and I intended to apply again next year and asked for suggestions to strengthen my application- he told me to narrow my focus (it was initially interpersonal traumas but i need to narrow it further- which makes sense). In addition to that, I have a new research opportunity and a publication in the works. I tried to look at Ph.D. programs today, just jump back into it and that was a mistake- I felt so overwhelmed. I'm trying to cope with this (the rejection) by planning fun stuff this upcoming year (like a trip to Walt Disney World things like that) but even that seems to be daunting right now.... I guess I'm hoping I can cope by talking to people about it. How is everyone else coping?

Sorry to hear about that!  

I'm technically waiting on results still, but I'm not doing well if I'm being honest.  I only applied to three schools, and haven't heard back from two yet.  Not hopeful at this point, sadly.  One of those two is my top choice by far, and I made the mistake of checking the results page and seeing someone got an email offering them a spot in the program.  Good for them, but I haven't gotten that email yet and don't think I will (Based on the school's email habits historically according to this website).  

And like you, I'm currently planning fun things for the future that don't involve school!  I really want to take a long road trip this summer after I graduate.  Just grab a couple friends and drive off toward Vegas or something crazy like that, haha.  I'm just focusing on graduating and finishing college on a high note as well.  I want to keep my GPA up and solidify relationships with professors so that next year when/if I apply, I'll be in a reasonable position to do so.   

On a more boring note, I'm looking at jobs and internships that I can apply for.  Not very fun, if I'm being honest.  

At this point, anything to take my mind off of grad school and my attention away from my inbox is a welcome reprieve.  My dogs being cuddly right now is really helping.  

I'm in the same boat. I'm on a wait list, and the professor at my top choice school recently let me know that it's very unlikely that the department will make any additional offers this cycle. I'm pretty disappointed. It's hard to put in so much time and thought toward something and have it not work out. The feelings come in waves, but I'm trying not to get too discouraged. 

On 3/30/2018 at 11:39 PM, Hopeful22 said:

The feelings come in waves, but I'm trying not to get too discouraged. 

Yes! That's exactly right, like sometimes I'm totally fine and gung-ho about applying again next year and then sometimes I just feel overwhelmed about going through the process again you know? You have to find out which professors are taking students (it might not be the same as it was this year)- I need to broaden the school's I'm looking at and yadda yada. Just thinking about it makes me feel tired lol but I suppose that isn't helping anything...

22 hours ago, cc2907 said:

Ugh same here, waiting but discouraged   Where did you apply?

I applied to UCCS (no interview), Wyoming (was waitlisted), NIU (was waitlisted) and Birmingham (which actually hasn't said anything at all- but I suspect rejected). This is further than I got last year so I think it's worth it to apply again next year you know? Waitlisted is close...ish.... Where did you apply?