New Slogan for Grad Café?

Needle in the Hay

Hi all,

The current slogan for Grad Café, “Where something is always brewing,” really isn’t cutting it. In fact it gives no indication whatsoever about the purpose of the site. I am going to start brainstorming other possibilities and I wanted to enlist your help. Maybe we can send the top three suggestions to the website managers. 

I realize that this is not about Philosophy, but (a) you philosophers are my people and (b) I think that philosophical training can help one to think creatively and logically about these things.

Thank you,

NitH

16 minutes ago, Eigen said:

It seems like you're starting with an assumption (the slogan isn't cutting it) and then working from there. 

Perhaps you'd like to share why you think the slogan isn't cutting it?

As I said in the original post, it does not in any way clarify the purpose of the site. Maybe I’m wrong, but that strikes me as a defect. 

It fits quite well with the coffee theme of the board, and the all hours discussion. A slogan is a motto, not something that's supposed to explain a purpose.

That said, why does it need to clarify the purpose of the site? It's not like there are problems with getting new members, or with people not understanding the purpose of the site. 

From Wikipedia:

Dass, Kumar, Kohli, & Thomas' (2014) research suggests that there are certain factors that make up the likability of a slogan. The clarity of the message the brand is trying to encode within the slogan. The slogan emphasizes the benefit of the product or service it is portraying.”

How does the current slogan emphasize the benefit of the site? I don’t think it does.

Perhaps this is a different criticism than my original one, but perhaps not—the purpose of the site presumably coincides with the benefits it provides to the user.

Edited by Needle in the Hay

Another fundamental rule of marketing is that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Changing a slogan that's been around and (judging from the user base) working for years doesn't seem like the best move.

Its an interesting thought experiment, but I think starting with a statement that e slogan is "bad" when it's been working well for over 10 years might be a bit overstated. 

16 minutes ago, Eigen said:

Another fundamental rule of marketing is that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Changing a slogan that's been around and (judging from the user base) working for years doesn't seem like the best move.

Its an interesting thought experiment, but I think starting with a statement that e slogan is "bad" when it's been working well for over 10 years might be a bit overstated. 

OK fine, perhaps a bit overstated.

Any ideas though, anyone?

I think the name and slogan unite a common interest (grad stuff) with the notions of openness, availability, and friendliness. Compact and inviting, imo. Gotta love what coffeepls said. Though in my experience that motto tracks the circumstances connected with us being here rather than what the forum itself is about. 

Edited by falafelizer

lol before I read this thread, if you asked me what the slogan was, I would have said, "TheGradCafe has a slogan??" 

I think I've been here way too long to have an objective opinion on what would draw people into this website in the first place! But in terms of what I'd like to see for a motto that represents our community, I'd pick something lighthearted ("aaaaaahhhhh" and the current motto works well) as my view of this place is a support environment where people go to get advice and/or blow off steam.

I think there was a thread awhile ago about changing the whole banner/logo/motto altogether. A few people expressed interest but I am not sure any actual new designs were proposed!

4 hours ago, TakeruK said:

I think there was a thread awhile ago about changing the whole banner/logo/motto altogether. A few people expressed interest but I am not sure any actual new designs were proposed!

If they came up with anything, they didn't send them to me or bgk (the administrators here) so I'm guessing the idea died. I'm pretty sure I encouraged them to send me what they come up with though! We (bgk and I) are always open to suggestions for improvements. However, because we also both work full-time and do this as a service more than anything else, we do need people to take the initiative and not just hand us dozens of ideas that we don't have the time to implement.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:41 AM, falafelizer said:

I think the name and slogan unite a common interest (grad stuff) with the notions of openness, availability, and friendliness. Compact and inviting, imo. Gotta love what coffeepls said. Though in my experience that motto tracks the circumstances connected with us being here rather than what the forum itself is about. 

hahah maybe the slogan could be "grad stuff" 

jk