Deadline Predicament - Advice Needed

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any sort of advice for my troubles here.

For the longest time, I have had 1 acceptance from the many schools I applied to: UCI. When I went and visited I loved it there and all the people within the program. During this time, I found out I was waitlisted at University of Michigan (which originally was one of my top schools to attend). 

Here comes my problem: Michigan recently informally told me they are planning to extend an offer. UCI wants their response by April 15th. As of right now, Michigan has not officially extended the offer yet. Even if they were to, I don't know if I would feel comfortable accepting without having the chance to visit the campus and meet the personnel within the program (I know I will most likely love it there, but I just can't be too careful since I'll be spending the next 5 years of my life there). In the best case scenario, they give the offer on Monday and then that leaves very little time to plan a trip over before April 15th. I am sure that Michigan would be more than willing to have a longer deadline; however, I don't want to deny UCI by banking on the fact that I would accept Michigan on the chance that I don't like it over there. 

So I guess my question is what should I do? I have emailed my points of contact at Michigan explaining my predicament last week and haven't received a response yet. Would it be a poor move to ask UCI for an extension? Is it possible that they would rescind my offer for asking? I apologize if that is a naive question - I am just completely out of my element here. 

I don't see how they could rescind your offer for asking. It might annoy them a bit, but probably the worst they can do is say no.

If you aren't getting through to Michigan by email, I would call someone over the phone and say I want to visit this week, when can I come and who can I meet.

In terms of planning the visit, I agree it makes more sense to be proactive rather than wait for an official offer, but personally I would not decline my only acceptance until I got an official offer from Michigan.

I'd second calling and maybe being proactive in at least visiting Ann Arbor if that's important to you to see if you'd like the town. You could also set up some Skype talks or phone calls with professors and honestly probably get 90% of the experience.  I think it would leave a bad impression to ask for an extension with UCI, especially unless you already have an offer from Michigan.  

I also think you should call Michigan on Monday, and look at visiting Michigan (flights, maybe hotels?) this weekend but don't book anything.  I would also wait to ask for an extension at UCI until you are sure you have a funded acceptance at Michigan.  I think it might come off as you don't want to go to UCI but I think you do.  You should probably tell Michigan (if you haven't already) that you have another offer and they want a response by April 15th so you need to know as soon as possible if they are going to accept you and if you are you want to possibly visit or skype with professors/grad students this week.  I would be afraid that Michigan would fall through so I would hold onto that acceptance at UCI until April 15th.

Both UCI and Michigan have good reputations.  You cant go wrong with either program.  I would email the chair of the department at Michigan and tell him you want to visit and go as soon as you can.  How much does cold weather bother you?

3 hours ago, Gauss2017 said:

Both UCI and Michigan have good reputations.  You cant go wrong with either program.  I would email the chair of the department at Michigan and tell him you want to visit and go as soon as you can.  How much does cold weather bother you?

Haha it doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it oddly enough. I mainly wanted to meet the people there and see the atmosphere the department and students give off. 

I think UCI Statistics Department is new and still growing. In my opinion, they can only accept few people and their acceptance rate is fairly low also (last year was 12.4% and the previous one was 8.2%), referenced from http://www.oir.uci.edu/applications.html

I am still waiting for the result from them as well. The last time I inquired from them, they said that they were waiting for those who got accepted to reply back to them. Based on that answer, I don't think they are willing to extend their offer past 15 April, because they only sent offers to few people and need to get back to the "waitlisted" people as soon as possible before sending the final offers/rejections as the deadline is also approaching.

Hope this help!

On 4/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, ywa136 said:

Hi StatApplicant21! I am just wondering whether you've heard from Umich Stats PhD yet cause I'm on the waitlist as well but haven't heard anything. It's the 10th already...

I was fortunate to officially get off the wait list this past week. They are to the point now where when one person denies an offer another is made to someone on the wait list. 

Hope you hear good news soon!