Columbia University 2018

MettaSutta

@archimon I plan to live off campus but in Morningside Heights b/c I might do less than 12 credits/semester (grad housing only allows FT students).  Didn't get my UNI yet-weird! (Admitted on 3/20, sent in deposit a few days later). 

Congrats! Did you apply for the FLAS fellowship?  I did in Hindi! Also, do you plan to go on to get a PhD, or will this be a terminal MA for you?

18 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

@archimon I plan to live off campus but in Morningside Heights b/c I might do less than 12 credits/semester (grad housing only allows FT students).  Didn't get my UNI yet-weird! (Admitted on 3/20, sent in deposit a few days later). 

Congrats! Did you apply for the FLAS fellowship?  I did in Hindi! Also, do you plan to go on to get a PhD, or will this be a terminal MA for you?

I am planning to do a Ph.D., but I was told by my advisor that the committee wanted to be sure that my language skills were adequate before admitting me to the Ph.D. program (my writing sample didn't use any untranslated sources, though I took a gap year to study Chinese in Taipei to cap off the four years of Chinese I did as an undergrad, so I should be mostly good to go on that front I hope!). How about you? Are you planning to stick around for a Ph.D.?

I didn't apply to FLAS, but I wouldn't really be able to use it for Chinese, and I'm planning to start learning Japanese once I get to Columbia - I'll likely try next cycle for Japanese, though I'm not sure if FLAS provides enough money to make that affordable - we'll see! Do you have any background with Hindi?

18 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

@archimonAlso, did you get a merit scholarship? Columbia gave me $10,000!  I was shocked because much lower ranked programs gave me zilch! 

Congrats! I did get a merit scholarship! Mine covers half-tuition and gives me a $30,000 stipend to live off of, so the offer was quite generous - it seems to be extremely rare for EALAC to fund M.A. students, so I'm very grateful to have gotten what I did. 

Edited by archimon

On 4/13/2018 at 6:32 PM, lewin said:

8 hours ago, archimon said:

I am planning to do a Ph.D., but I was told by my advisor that the committee wanted to be sure that my language skills were adequate before admitting me to the Ph.D. program (my writing sample didn't use any untranslated sources, though I took a gap year to study Chinese in Taipei to cap off the four years of Chinese I did as an undergrad, so I should be mostly good to go on that front I hope!). How about you? Are you planning to stick around for a Ph.D.?

I didn't apply to FLAS, but I wouldn't really be able to use it for Chinese, and I'm planning to start learning Japanese once I get to Columbia - I'll likely try next cycle for Japanese, though I'm not sure if FLAS provides enough money to make that affordable - we'll see! Do you have any background with Hindi?

Congrats! I did get a merit scholarship! Mine covers half-tuition and gives me a $30,000 stipend to live off of, so the offer was quite generous - it seems to be extremely rare for EALAC to fund M.A. students, so I'm very grateful to have gotten what I did. 

No, I'm just getting a terminal M.A. (already 30 years old, lol)

I'm Indian and can speak Hindi comfortably, and can read and write a little.  

6 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

No, I'm just getting a terminal M.A. (already 30 years old, lol)

I'm Indian and can speak Hindi comfortably, and can read and write a little.  

Ah, I see. What do you hope to do after the program? Are you looking to do FLAS for a full year or just a summer?

5 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

@archimon What specialization within East Asian Studies will you choose?  Mine will be Religion and/or Law (Buddhist here!).

Roughly, I work on the social and intellectual history of the Song Dynasty (960-1279) - in the past my work has largely focused on the history of the family and kinship organization.

5 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

@archimon  unrelated, but Have you heard of Wooden Fish Monastic Retreat in China?  It looks phenomenal-they pay all expenses save flights!

http://www.woodenfish.org/hbmlp2017

I haven't, but I've never been particularly interested in religion, so that says nothing about the program - it may well be quite well-known/regarded.

4 hours ago, polyxcrunner said:

@archimon Yes, I was referring to the FLAS fellowship.

MS in BME this fall!

According to this page (https://gsas.columbia.edu/student-guide/financing-your-education/flas-fellowship-academic-year), it looks as though FLAS is only available to a subset of GSAS students.

Edited by archimon

On April 20, 2018 at 1:58 AM, polyxcrunner said:

@archimon Yes, I was referring to the FLAS fellowship.

MS in BME this fall!

Hi friend I'm also attending the BME master's program this fall! Congrats!

On 4/19/2018 at 6:47 PM, archimon said:

Ah, I see. What do you hope to do after the program? Are you looking to do FLAS for a full year or just a summer?

Roughly, I work on the social and intellectual history of the Song Dynasty (960-1279) - in the past my work has largely focused on the history of the family and kinship organization.

I haven't, but I've never been particularly interested in religion, so that says nothing about the program - it may well be quite well-known/regarded.

According to this page (https://gsas.columbia.edu/student-guide/financing-your-education/flas-fellowship-academic-year), it looks as though FLAS is only available to a subset of GSAS students.

After the terminal MA I hope to go into human rights focusing on South Asia.  I have a background in law. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 10:21 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

@archimonAlso, did you get a merit scholarship? Columbia gave me $10,000!  I was shocked because much lower ranked programs gave me zilch! 

Hi! Can I ask how and when you were able to view your financial aid package? I sent in my deposit last week but haven't received any information on aid or scholarships. I had to manually search for my ID to get my Columbia email as well. I then tried viewing my financial aid using my C number but I only have the option to view the 2014-15 school year.. Which obviously isn't correct hahaha! Perhaps Columbia is just lagging behind in keeping me updated? 

Oh and of course congrats to you! That's wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, simmieism said:

Hi! Can I ask how and when you were able to view your financial aid package? I sent in my deposit last week but haven't received any information on aid or scholarships. I had to manually search for my ID to get my Columbia email as well. I then tried viewing my financial aid using my C number but I only have the option to view the 2014-15 school year.. Which obviously isn't correct hahaha! Perhaps Columbia is just lagging behind in keeping me updated? 

How were you able to get your Columbia email by searching for your ID? I have sent in the deposit but not the official paper transcripts.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, simmieism said:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, simmieism said:

The Director of my MA program told me by email that I received $10K as a merit scholarship.  

On 5/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, simmieism said:

And congrats to you as well! ?