They said they are still looking for funding.

A few weeks ago, one PhD program I am applying to told me that right now they don't have an open position for me but I'm a highly ranked applicant. They also told me that they are still looking for funding and once there is change of my status, they will let me know.

Is this just another way saying that I'm on their wait-list? The director of the committee replied to me that my chance will possibly materialize after April 15th. Does it mean anything?

Any thoughts guys?

Thank you very much!

24 minutes ago, Takeiteasy said:

A few weeks ago, one PhD program I am applying to told me that right now they don't have an open position for me but I'm a highly ranked applicant. They also told me that they are still looking for funding and once there is change of my status, they will let me know.

Is this just another way saying that I'm on their wait-list? The director of the committee replied to me that my chance will possibly materialize after April 15th. Does it mean anything?

Any thoughts guys?

Thank you very much!

My situation is also the same. They accepted but waiting for funding. 

Your situation is actually better than mine. I don't even know whether they will accept me in the first place. My question is in what situation they will give me the admission. Is it when they find funding (assuming they are actually looking for more funding)? Or is it when somebody rejects their offer (which seems less and less likely now)? 

Hard to know as these things can vary greatly, but it sounds to me like you'll only get admitted if the program can fund you. Frankly, you shouldn't do a PhD without funding anyway, so that sounds entirely reasonable to me. The fact that an offer may come after April 15 suggests that they are waiting to see if the first batch of candidates who have offers will accept or decline. If enough of them decline, some funding will free up that could go to waitlisted candidates. Whether or not you're officially waitlisted, it sounds like that's what your situation is. Good luck! 

Thanks fuzzylogician. What you said really makes sense.

Now I'm wondering if I should send the program director another email since my last inquiry email was sent to her on April 2. I want to know how many people are still ahead of me on their waitlist and if they are still waiting for someone to accept or reject their offer. If yes, how many people are still being waited for responses? And what is the response deadline for those applicants?

Waiting on the waitlist without much detail is painful and unhealthy. I just want know more about my chance.

Will my questions and timing sound reasonable if I send the director an email next Monday?

Thank you!

Sending another email sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't ask all these questions you listed above. Really what you want to know is when you might expect to hear, and if the program can give you some indication of the likelihood of acceptance (while you understand that there are no promises). I'd just ask that -- above yourself, not others -- and reiterate your interest in the program. 

On 4/21/2018 at 7:11 AM, Takeiteasy said:

Thanks! I love your advice, very clear and sensible, making me feel a little better. Really appreciate it!

Hi,

Did you get any news for funding?