Leaving One for Another?

nushi

Hey everyone ?

I'm an international student who has been accepted in a university in the US (PhD program) with a fellowship for the first year, & then an assistantship.

I'm considering also application for a scholarship in an Australian university this July, which has a research center that I'm highly interested in. However, the results of Australian apps only appear in the start of the American academic year, whence I will probably have started my PhD in the American university.

I'm asking if it would be possible, or bad to leave that American university (after I started there, with a fellowship) if I get accepted in the Australian program that I prefer?

I highly need your advice, please, because I'm very confused. Have anyone passed through a similar experience before?

Can you defer (or reject) the American offer, find work as a research assistant in Egypt and then wait for the outcome in Australia? Presumably if you don't get admitted (the easy part) and receive a scholarship (the harder part) you can reapply in the American system a year later. One year probably isn't the biggest deal especially if you can find relevant work in the interim to boost your CV. 

I'm not going to ask why you prefer the Australian program, because I assume you've done your research and this is something you really want. Australian and American PhD programs are very different structurally, and Australia and the US are also very different places to live in among developed nations, so I can see why you might have a strong preference even before research is concerned. 

I agree with @lemma, either reject or defer the American admission. Knowingly applying for a program when you have already accepted an offer from a US institution can burn many bridges. In addition, it does not reflect well on your professional behavior, even to the Australian program. Remember that a lot of people are invested in your American offer (including LoRs writers). 

Have you considered doing a postdoc in the Australian institution? You can use your PhD years to build connections and work collaboratively so that when you graduate you have a network there to further your professional interests. 

Edited by AP

Thank you all for your informative & helpful replies ?

Well, yes, you make a good point @AP that I could apply for post-doc in that Australian institute.

The thing that's not making me very enthusiastic about the US university I was accepted in, is that it's ranked lower (according to Shanghai world universities ranking) than my university in Egypt. But then again, gaining a new experience in a different country, & a different educational environment is perhaps more important than universities' ranking, don't you think?

I'm not very enthusiastic about postponing my options for another year, as I may not get accepted into any university next year, & I'm not comfortable about spending all the US $ again for application fees. Besides, I'm already 32 yo, & I've postponed my PhD for 2 years already to find programs outside Egypt & take the required exams. What do you think?

Thank you all for your advice...

I forgot to ask... Is it possible to defer an offer to another year after I already accepted it?

Whether or not deferral is possible is entirely program-specific. You'll have to contact the department which admitted you and ask them to get an answer about whether you can defer your offer to another year. You should also ask if the funding offer will be the same if you do defer to next year.

As far as ranking, for grad school, the university's overall ranking is far less important than the ranking in your particular field IF you're interested in an academic career in the US/Canada. People know the best programs in your field and they'll know that something like University of Wisconsin is strong in your field even if it isn't the strongest/highest ranked university as a whole. If you're planning to go back to Egypt or not pursue a faculty position, then the name of the university may matter. Some questions to ask yourself: How well known is the Australian institution in Egypt? In other countries? How highly ranked is the department/program to which you were admitted in the US (top 10? top 25? top 50?)? Where do graduates of the US program typically find employment? Do any of those employment options appeal to you? Where do graduates of the Australian program typically find employment? Do any of those employment options appeal to you? 

Hopefully that's a helpful starting point.

Thank you so much @rising_star for your very helpful advice ?You're truly helpful...

According to Shanghai World Universities Ranking, in the field of "Sociology" neither of the two universities in the US nor Egypt are ranked. Do you know how I could know what's the rank of the Sociology Department of the US university I got accepted in compared to other programs in the field?

And how can I know where its PhD graduates are employed?

I'm sorry to ask these questions, it's just that I'm very new to this. I've never applied to any universities abroad (outside Egypt) before. I'm certainly interested in getting a tenure / academic faculty position in universities in the US, Canada, or anywhere in the world.

You can and should directly ask the department about the placement of their recent graduates. For many departments, this information is available on their website. As far as the ranking in your discipline, you may want to ask on the Sociology forum or read older posts there to get a sense of the relevant ranking.

• 2 months later...

I no longer prefer this, as I found that the research center I'm interested in, in Australia, don't have many professors interested in my topic.