WFP Future International Talent (FIT) Pool

Markee

6 hours ago, JBA said:

So to prepare for the interview...

First, you need to know the competency required for the job that you are applying for, unfortunately, WFP is not like UNICEF or UNOPS so they don't have a Competency Framework document already prepared.

UNOPS competencies are: Agility, Effective communication, Integrity & Inclusion, Partnering, Result Orientation, Solution Focused, and Strategic Perspective (I don't find the link to share right now)

UNICEF competencies are: Builds and maintains partnerships, Demonstrates self-awareness
and ethical awareness, Drive to achieve results for impact, Innovates and embraces change, Manages ambiguity and complexity, Thinks and acts strategically, Works collaboratively with others, Nurtures, leads and manages people (UNICEF's_Competency_Framework.pdf)

So depending on the level that you apply there are some more in-depth characteristics required for each of them (like level)

You can also find UNDP competencies framework on the internet. As you might have noticed, the competencies are almost the same between agencies so you can easily extrapolate for WFP too 😉 

For any UN CBI you need to build your examples on those competencies mentioned above. So you need to prepare several examples, of different situations that could highlight the competency that you will be asked for. not more than 3 competencies in general during the interview...

Now for WFP you can use the method S.T.A.R to frame your example: 

Situation (S): Describe the situation or context in which the experience or challenge occurred. This sets the stage for your response and provides the interviewer with background information.

Task (T): Explain the specific task or goal you were assigned or faced in that situation. What were you expected to achieve or accomplish?

Action (A): Detail the actions you took to address the situation or accomplish the task. Be specific about the steps you took, your role, and your responsibilities. This is often the most critical part of your response, as it showcases your skills and competencies.

Result (R): Discuss the outcomes or results of your actions. What happened as a result of your efforts? Use quantifiable data if possible to highlight the impact of your actions.

You can also prepare for each example the "what you could have done differently?" That is the favorite question that would come after you finish explaining your example...

Let's do the extra mile, don't use always the same position/work for all the competencies try to diversify different experiences! the goal is to show that you have the competencies but also that you have a lot of experience in different settings 9geographic, work-wise etc)

I hope this helps, if I can provide more information don't hesitate to ask I will try my best to reply :-))

Thank you very much for your insightful explanation. With this I think I will better prepare for my upcoming interview.

Through the job description is isolated 3 competencies I think: Professionalism-mobility-diversity, teamwork-work under supervision, organizing and planning skills. I will practice build examples with regrads to the other agencies core competencies and hopefully things fall in my what I have prepared.

I hope your interview went well and I wish good luck for the outcome.

5 hours ago, NDj said:

Thank you very much for your insightful explanation. With this I think I will better prepare for my upcoming interview.

Through the job description is isolated 3 competencies I think: Professionalism-mobility-diversity, teamwork-work under supervision, organizing and planning skills. I will practice build examples with regrads to the other agencies core competencies and hopefully things fall in my what I have prepared.

I hope your interview went well and I wish good luck for the outcome.

From my understanding of the competencies it is different from the skills... the written test was about your knowledge on technical and specialty matters what you mentioned above are directly link to the skill as project management or engineering.

From my previous experience in the interview that I did they where looking more on the capacity to manage a situation that would require competency that are out of the "scholar' or "job" deliverables... but more about you has human being managing stress, confrontation, ethic or moral issue etc. Things that are not really in the job description but important when you want to hire someone...

Organizing, planning all those thing are more a skill work related to the deliverable of the job itself.

I might be wrong with WFP it is my first time with them but for UNOPS and UNICEF it was more like I said above 🙂

4 minutes ago, JBA said:

From my understanding of the competencies it is different from the skills... the written test was about your knowledge on technical and specialty matters what you mentioned above are directly link to the skill as project management or engineering.

From my previous experience in the interview that I did they where looking more on the capacity to manage a situation that would require competency that are out of the "scholar' or "job" deliverables... but more about you has human being managing stress, confrontation, ethic or moral issue etc. Things that are not really in the job description but important when you want to hire someone...

Organizing, planning all those thing are more a skill work related to the deliverable of the job itself.

I might be wrong with WFP it is my first time with them but for UNOPS and UNICEF it was more like I said above 🙂

Okay thank you, I got you know. I think I was not really separating skills from competencies. 

I have googled and their so many competencies and they can ask questions on any of them 😊

Thank you for the insights, I appreciate it. 

On 9/5/2023 at 6:57 PM, Kampala2022 said:

JBA

How did it go? Please share your experience. Am interested to know. I Am waiting for the CBI invitation after the language test.  It seems they started with a group who didn't go through a language test.

Hello! just finished the interview, 3 persons on the panel 2 HR and 1 Chief Engineer. I had to do a small presentation of myself and my motivation about why applying to the Fit Pool program then they asked 5 competencies questions. So exactly as I mentioned in one of my posts on how to prepare for the interview. the competencies were closer to the UNOPS ones than UNICEF. 

It lasted 1 hour in total and the jury was very nice. let's see the outcome, they told me 3 months for the final results to know if I am taken or not.

Best of luck for everyone!

14 minutes ago, JBA said:

Hello! just finished the interview, 3 persons on the panel 2 HR and 1 Chief Engineer. I had to do a small presentation of myself and my motivation about why applying to the Fit Pool program then they asked 5 competencies questions. So exactly as I mentioned in one of my posts on how to prepare for the interview. the competencies were closer to the UNOPS ones than UNICEF. 

It lasted 1 hour in total and the jury was very nice. let's see the outcome, they told me 3 months for the final results to know if I am taken or not.

Best of luck for everyone!

JBA. Thanks. How did you do presentation? Did you share the slide on Teams? Example of competencies they ask?

1 hour ago, Kampala2022 said:

JBA. Thanks. How did you do presentation? Did you share the slide on Teams? Example of competencies they ask?

There is no presentation to show only yourself in front of the camera like any zoom meeting 🙂 you will have to talk that 's it!

On 9/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, NDj said:

Hey,

I also received an invitation for CBI, engineer P2. I did not have to take the language test as well. Mine will be on 13th.

Looks like you know how they conduct their interviews. Could you give more details and guidance that can help as I prepare for the interview?

Good luck with your interview, wish you all the best.

Thanks

Hello,

How was the interview? Highlight your experience.

2 hours ago, Kampala2022 said:

Hello,

How was the interview? Highlight your experience.

Hello, 

Well it was not bad I guess 😊

Common protocol setting, friendly panel members... They asked questions about motivation, teamwork, communication skills, why are you the best candidate, organisation skills. I was asked 5 competency based questions, with so many follow up questions but that depends on your answers I guess

On 9/15/2023 at 7:19 PM, Qoi2023 said:

Could anybody offer me insights into the French Language Test. Is it done on Imocha? What were someof the questions. Its weird it was not a language requirement for the role (NOT FIT POOL) but now they are asking for it deep into the process. Some questions areas to prepare?

Its done through Language Test International. mine were 18 questions. Computer plays and you listen then you speak as its recording. Honestly speaking, its needs someone who understands French. Hope you understand the French language. Some of the questions they ask are to explain about yourself. situation where there is a disaster what do you do? What do you do during your free time.

Edited by Kampala2022

Hello everyone!

New update, I just received an email for "Info for Background Checks due Monday, September 25 - WFP FIT Pool".

Academic verification and Professional reference check (form the 3 last direct supervisor)

Cheers!

3 hours ago, JBA said:

Hello everyone!

New update, I just received an email for "Info for Background Checks due Monday, September 25 - WFP FIT Pool".

Academic verification and Professional reference check (form the 3 last direct supervisor)

Cheers!

Congratulations for making to that step. I am still waiting invite for CBI after language test. I may ask which level did they qualifies you and what is showing in the status. are all levels you applied still showing the same? Did they update the dates? I did tests on 12th August and they changed date for P2 on 15th August. Later this month they changed for P3 and P4. On supervisors, do they need details of the supervisor for the current employer? What do they also need from acadameic? Degree only?

Edited by Kampala2022

20 hours ago, Kampala2022 said:

Congratulations for making to that step. I am still waiting invite for CBI after language test. I may ask which level did they qualifies you and what is showing in the status. are all levels you applied still showing the same? Did they update the dates? I did tests on 12th August and they changed date for P2 on 15th August. Later this month they changed for P3 and P4. On supervisors, do they need details of the supervisor for the current employer? What do they also need from acadameic? Degree only?

Hello! I qualified for P3 level. On the website of WFP recruitment only P3 changed its status: "Congratulations, you have passed through to the next phase of the recruitment process". The p4 shows always the same status:"We are pleased to advise you that you will be partaking in the assessment phase" even if the date changed...

Nothing is done yet they still have to check for my references and diploma background.

For the references, it is clearly mentioned: direct supervisor in the last 10 years. here below more details:

Please read carefully the instructions and have the information ready before opening the form link,
as you can only submit your form once.
1. You will be asked to provide at least 3 direct supervisors as references from your 3 most
recent roles. This is important to WFP, and you will be contacted for further elaboration if
you do not follow this requirement.
2. As much as possible, do not skip supervisors from the last 5 years. WFP strongly prefers
more recent references, even if their period of supervision is more brief than those from
farther back. You may opt to add a 4th reference if you feel it is necessary.
3. Each reference must be a direct supervisor in an official capacity for at least 3 months (if a
consultancy/project-based role), or at least 6 months (for full-time employment). A direct
supervisor oversees your day-to-day responsibilities and conducts your
performance appraisals and their name is indicated as “first-line manager” or
similar in official evaluation paperwork.
4. Each direct supervisor must have worked with the candidate within the last 5 years. If
you have reported to fewer than 3 direct supervisors within this period, we will accept
references from before 2017, provided they meet the other criteria.
5. Each direct supervisor should have operated within different timeframes. No two
references should overlap in terms of the dates supervising the candidate unless there
was a transition period, turnover, etc. which you will be asked to explain in the online
form. Please make sure to double-check the dates you provide.
6. Supervisors for internships, graduate studies, or PhD advisers may not be considered
valid references unless there are no other supervisors available. Please make sure to
specify and elaborate on the reason in the form if such is the case.
7. Relatives will NOT be considered valid references.

Cheers

JBA, This is Good insight.

For me, the process started with "We are pleased to notify you that you will be partaking in the assessment phase" then moved after the test to " congratulations, you have passed through to the interview phase. Then I did a CBI and technical interview with a 5 member panel. Total 4 CBIs 2 Technical and 2 Motivational questions.

Later on the status moved to "Congratulations, you have passed through to the next phase of the recruitment process" during which they called me for a 2nd CBI and Technical interview with an expanded panel.

I am really hoping that I have passed the process. Some interesting thing I noted in the SAP portal; when i click edit the application, there are 5 new items that showed up after the last status updated. A section to upload BSITF , ASITF, Language and Academic Certifications, Pensionary Status, a Section for 3 References. I do not even know If I should put anything, so I will wait to hear from the HR office.

I don't know what next to expect next and in how long. But this is not FIT Pool. This is just a normal term Job in HQ.

43 minutes ago, Ndesh-ndesh said:

For me, the process started with "We are pleased to notify you that you will be partaking in the assessment phase" then moved after the test to " congratulations, you have passed through to the interview phase. Then I did a CBI and technical interview with a 5 member panel. Total 4 CBIs 2 Technical and 2 Motivational questions.

Later on the status moved to "Congratulations, you have passed through to the next phase of the recruitment process" during which they called me for a 2nd CBI and Technical interview with an expanded panel.

I am really hoping that I have passed the process. Some interesting thing I noted in the SAP portal; when i click edit the application, there are 5 new items that showed up after the last status updated. A section to upload BSITF , ASITF, Language and Academic Certifications, Pensionary Status, a Section for 3 References. I do not even know If I should put anything, so I will wait to hear from the HR office.

I don't know what next to expect next and in how long. But this is not FIT Pool. This is just a normal term Job in HQ.

Ndesh.

Were you subjected to language test?

1 minute ago, Ndesh-ndesh said:

Not yet.

But now they are requiring that I take any 2nd Language test because they like diversity?

Then if you are subjected to 2nd  language test, prepare. I did French and realized that the test needs someone who understands the language. Am yet to get results though they changed status date  2 days after the test

13 hours ago, Ndesh-ndesh said:

Good morning, if all of this is not for the Fit Pool program but for a job, from my understanding they are doing now the reference check (the one that you shared when you applied for the job) you can Ask your references if they received an email from WFP?

But I don't get why you have to go through 2 CBI... Unless they had a doubt between you and another one?!

Anyhow fingers crossed and let us know! for which position did you apply?

22 hours ago, JBA said:

Hello! I qualified for P3 level. On the website of WFP recruitment only P3 changed its status: "Congratulations, you have passed through to the next phase of the recruitment process". The p4 shows always the same status:"We are pleased to advise you that you will be partaking in the assessment phase" even if the date changed...

Nothing is done yet they still have to check for my references and diploma background.

For the references, it is clearly mentioned: direct supervisor in the last 10 years. here below more details:

Please read carefully the instructions and have the information ready before opening the form link,
as you can only submit your form once.
1. You will be asked to provide at least 3 direct supervisors as references from your 3 most
recent roles. This is important to WFP, and you will be contacted for further elaboration if
you do not follow this requirement.
2. As much as possible, do not skip supervisors from the last 5 years. WFP strongly prefers
more recent references, even if their period of supervision is more brief than those from
farther back. You may opt to add a 4th reference if you feel it is necessary.
3. Each reference must be a direct supervisor in an official capacity for at least 3 months (if a
consultancy/project-based role), or at least 6 months (for full-time employment). A direct
supervisor oversees your day-to-day responsibilities and conducts your
performance appraisals and their name is indicated as “first-line manager” or
similar in official evaluation paperwork.
4. Each direct supervisor must have worked with the candidate within the last 5 years. If
you have reported to fewer than 3 direct supervisors within this period, we will accept
references from before 2017, provided they meet the other criteria.
5. Each direct supervisor should have operated within different timeframes. No two
references should overlap in terms of the dates supervising the candidate unless there
was a transition period, turnover, etc. which you will be asked to explain in the online
form. Please make sure to double-check the dates you provide.
6. Supervisors for internships, graduate studies, or PhD advisers may not be considered
valid references unless there are no other supervisors available. Please make sure to
specify and elaborate on the reason in the form if such is the case.
7. Relatives will NOT be considered valid references.

Cheers

JBA. Thank you for this information. You are almost. I saw they advertised position of project engineer P3 to manage a project in Brindisi. You can also try your luck.

5 hours ago, JBA said:

Good morning, if all of this is not for the Fit Pool program but for a job, from my understanding they are doing now the reference check (the one that you shared when you applied for the job) you can Ask your references if they received an email from WFP?

But I don't get why you have to go through 2 CBI... Unless they had a doubt between you and another one?!

Anyhow fingers crossed and let us know! for which position did you apply?

My References havent received any requests yet. The 2nd interview was last week, so I probably wait like 2-3 weeks based on my previous updates frequencies. The 2nd CBI was really a shocker to me too. I dont know how serious they will consider the 2nd Language test too and if they mean it; then I will even take longer before anything moves to referees.

Crossing my fingers, the role is quite "unique" and just the mention of it alone would sell me out!

LOL I hope you understand

On 9/8/2023 at 3:33 PM, Kampala2022 said:

Hello, you have to see it as a normal job interview so you cannot show anything besides yourself at the interview. for the competencies asked, check my post on the type of competencies I mentioned in one of my post above regarding UNOPS and UNICEF. It will help you to have a better picture of how to prepare.

The type of question can be:

Describe a moment where you felt that your audience was not understanding you, what action did you take and how did you make sure that they understood after that? what could you have done differently?

Or

Describe a situation when you have to convince a peer or your superior that your idea was better than his. How did you manage? what could you have done differently?

Good luck

5 minutes ago, Ndesh-ndesh said:

My References havent received any requests yet. The 2nd interview was last week, so I probably wait like 2-3 weeks based on my previous updates frequencies. The 2nd CBI was really a shocker to me too. I dont know how serious they will consider the 2nd Language test too and if they mean it; then I will even take longer before anything moves to referees.

Crossing my fingers, the role is quite "unique" and just the mention of it alone would sell me out!

LOL I hope you understand

Sure! don't burn yourself out! Let us know how it ends for you! :-))