WFP Future International Talent (FIT) Pool

Markee

Hello colleagues,

I hope you are all well.

I’ve been doing some research in the agencies and am afraid wfp probably have been one of the few not to utilize their pool even for short term gigs.

many of us are going to a year + in the Pool with no single invite to express interest. It’s amazing that they would spend all that money to recruit and fail to utilize us even in the very least.

It’s not all gloom, please look out for other agencies and continue to apply especially for the TA roles which are easier to come by.

The struggle continues.

Uhuru

Hello everyone, did anyone go through technical assessment for P3 Admin Officer WFP FIT Pool?? How is the test like & how do I prepare for it please???

Appreciate your reply at the soonest as I have to do the test very soon.

Thanks

Edited by Reham Aly

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 9:46 AM, Uhuru2020 said:

Hey Guys, 

Just checking to see if there any updates from HQ.

I am gonna write to them to check on how far with the pool feedback! I will let you know if they respond. 

Hey @Uhuru2020No update so far, radio silence!

Keep us updated on how things go on your side. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 3:26 PM, Uhuru2020 said:

Hello colleagues,

I hope you are all well.

I’ve been doing some research in the agencies and am afraid wfp probably have been one of the few not to utilize their pool even for short term gigs.

many of us are going to a year + in the Pool with no single invite to express interest. It’s amazing that they would spend all that money to recruit and fail to utilize us even in the very least.

It’s not all gloom, please look out for other agencies and continue to apply especially for the TA roles which are easier to come by.

The struggle continues.

Uhuru

Really? But why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello colleagues,

As many of you I also passed all tests to be included in the Fit pool (HR) and it has been more than 1 year that I am waiting for any sign from them.

The most disappointed part is that I participated and passed the selection also in the round 2018/2019 and during 2 years of waiting I received only 1 email to enquire if I was interested in joining an opportunity. My answer was obviously positive but after that I never received a reply anymore and my inclusion in the fit pool expired in March 2021.

I participated again in the selection during the year 2020 and now my inclusion in the fit pool is going to expire very soon in May 2022.

Frankly speaking, I already lost all hope to receive an offer, I only wonder where is the point in organizing 5 steps of selection, screening thousand of applications, interviewing people, doing background check, wasting their time and OUR time and then calling NONE of us.

Honestly, it s just ridiculous.
Sorry, just wanted to share my experience and vent, I know you can understand.

My best to all of you :)

Hi everyone,

I meant to write here sooner, to share some positive news regarding the HR FIT pool - I was confirmed to the pool in August 2020, and after about a 7 months wait, I was contacted regarding an opening, and alas! now I am a P3 HR officer working for the WFP! This is just to say that there are opportunities, and I know the wait is excruciating, but if there is an opening, WFP is committed to have the position filled from the FIT pool as they are looking to bring in fresh, new talent. 

Hope my story brings some encouragement. Best of luck to you all!

Hello Wila,

This is such a wonderful news, I am truly happy for you!
I think this is the first time we read somebody got a contract through HR Fit pool... it really brings us some hope!

I understand WFP might not be able to offer a contract to all the candidates who passed the selection but knowing that some of us were contacted and offered a position brings some positive vibes.
Thanks for letting us know!

May I ask you if before receiving the offer of employment you had to pass another interview with the Hiring Manager of the country? It was more an informal discussion or a formal interview?

Congrats and hope you are enjoining the experience!

On 10/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, Lucy222 said:

Hello Wila,

This is such a wonderful news, I am truly happy for you!
I think this is the first time we read somebody got a contract through HR Fit pool... it really brings us some hope!

I understand WFP might not be able to offer a contract to all the candidates who passed the selection but knowing that some of us were contacted and offered a position brings some positive vibes.
Thanks for letting us know!

May I ask you if before receiving the offer of employment you had to pass another interview with the Hiring Manager of the country? It was more an informal discussion or a formal interview?

Congrats and hope you are enjoining the experience!

Hi Lucy,

I did have an informal conversation the HM - however as they receive more than one candidacy from the FIT pool, which they may select from, it is important not to take this chat lightly, as you will be still competing with the others. 

Hope this is helpful. Best!

Hi everyone,

Just to encourage all of you as well. I joined the Risk & Compliance Officer pool in March 2021. This month I got contacted to express interest >>> 

Verification of Interest for the position of Risk & Compliance Officer_WFP Burkina Faso

Don't give up!

On 10/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Lucy222 said:

Hello colleagues,

As many of you I also passed all tests to be included in the Fit pool (HR) and it has been more than 1 year that I am waiting for any sign from them.

The most disappointed part is that I participated and passed the selection also in the round 2018/2019 and during 2 years of waiting I received only 1 email to enquire if I was interested in joining an opportunity. My answer was obviously positive but after that I never received a reply anymore and my inclusion in the fit pool expired in March 2021.

I participated again in the selection during the year 2020 and now my inclusion in the fit pool is going to expire very soon in May 2022.

Frankly speaking, I already lost all hope to receive an offer, I only wonder where is the point in organizing 5 steps of selection, screening thousand of applications, interviewing people, doing background check, wasting their time and OUR time and then calling NONE of us.

Honestly, it s just ridiculous.
Sorry, just wanted to share my experience and vent, I know you can understand.

My best to all of you :)

This makes me sad...

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have applied for the role of Service Designer. I have been now invited to a 'video assessment' of 45 minutes. I have no idea what they will ask. By reading all (almost) your comments I guess is about behavioural and technical questions. 

I would like to hear more and I will update you with my process.

Thank you all

D.

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2021 at 8:51 AM, Reham Aly said:

Hello everyone, did anyone go through technical assessment for P3 Admin Officer WFP FIT Pool?? How is the test like & how do I prepare for it please???

Appreciate your reply at the soonest as I have to do the test very soon.

Thanks

Hi all

I have also gotten an invitiation to do the WFP Finance Officer P-3 FIT Pool technical test.

How are these tests like? Are they hard? Can we take notes with us?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Hi all 

I have read through all the chats, I have a oral test for language and I picked French, I am not very good at all I only know the basics 

can someone guide me in what I should expect and what I should focus on 

your help would be highly appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I just got invited to do a technical assessment by WFP for  FIT Pool Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, P2. Is there someone who can share their experience or some tips and how the process goes? What should I expect? Language test requirements? Any tips? Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Like Wila, I meant to write here sooner, but I only find some time to do it now. I would like to share with you my experience as someone who actually went through the FIT Pool process and got hired by the WFP. I hope that this will help you in your future applications and assessments with the pool. So... there you go:

First of all, the FIT Pool selection:

- Like everyone else, I applied to a specific pool cycle and got invited to a technical assessment. I guess the test content and format are different from pool to pool (say, HR and M&E won't look the same). This assessment usually tests standard knowledge of the field that you're applying to, and may include some essay questions.

- Then the next round was a pre-recorded video interview where they asked standard motivation and behavior questions. After this, I got invited to a language interview which was conducted via phone. There were a lot of questions from easy to difficult to check my comprehension and speaking skills. I guess if you are already a native speaker of one of the official languages apart from English (i.e. Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, Arabic and Portuguese), they may skip this step.

- After that, I was invited to a panel interview with 4 interviewers from various relevant parts of the organization. It was quite long if I remember correctly; and I thought I didn't do super well but luckily I passed it.

- Some time later, they contacted me to ask for my permission to check my references. (They will talk to your contacts directly via phone, Zoom, etc.)

- The final step was checking educational credentials with the schools I attended.

In sum, each round has a very clear structure, and in my opinion, not so difficult - but you always have to give it all. In my case, I prepared for each round very carefully. The interval between each round is usually 1.5-2 months, except for the last few formal procedures after the panel (ref. checks, educational details, decision of FIT pool inclusion), which were pretty fast. Therefore, please do have a lot of patience for this lengthy process :)

Now, you get into the pool, what next? I know a lot of you are curious about this part. And I have to tell you, seriously, I don't really know. Because unlike the FIT Pool selection which was structured, the hiring part is a balance between the organization needs, policies, budget, contexts and many available pools of candidates to choose from (FIT, JPO, organization transfers, waitlist candidates for similar positions, etc.) I can only speak for my case:

- I got contacted for a position just one month after I got into the Pool - but it was for a consultancy. I had an informal interview with the hiring managers and got the job, but I turned it down. I didn't want to take a consultancy contract at that point because of some personal reasons, and this did not affect my membership in the pool.

- After that I only heard back from them perhaps 2-3 times per year regarding updating my CV to renew my membership in the pool for another year or inclusion in emergency deployment possibilities (generic emails which were sent to everyone in the pool). I updated my CV per instructions but that was all and I actually forgot about the Fit Pool :)) At one point I went on to work with another UN agency as a consultant.

- One day, a hiring manager from WFP contacted me about a P- position that I am actually very interested in. Like the previous time, I also had an informal interview with the managers. Later on (after getting hired), I got to know that they were considering ~5, 6 suitable CVs from the FIT pool, then the hiring manager shortlisted and interviewed 3 - This validates Wila's post that if you are contacted, you will still have to compete with other candidates so try your best.

- For me both times, it was radio silence for like almost 1.5 months after the interview. Then suddenly HR contacted me and told me I got the job. So again, the less you think about it, the faster time will fly by.

In general, it was a long process - and I got very lucky. On the other hand, I know that the organization is committed to bringing in new talents and takes the FIT pool very seriously. In fact, I've met quite a lot of people currently working for the org have been FIT pool members - some of them got hired via the pool, some of them got their jobs by applying to the position as normal external candidates. So, my advice is, you could treat FIT pool as a chance to land a good job, but it isn't everything (although it does take a lot of time and effort) - Don't wait for it as your only chance or feel bad if you don't get contacted often (this happens to everyone!) Find a position you actually like (UN or not) and a field you want to pursue, keep learning - things will work out eventually.

• 5 weeks later...