Inexpensive Cheap SLP Grad Programs

Hi Everyone! 

First time posting, so bear with me. I will be graduating December 2019 from an undergrad program in MA, and I know this is early, but I'm looking for information on the most affordable grad programs for Speech! Literally anywhere in the country I would love to hear about, but a special interest in New England schools. Of course the cheapest programs are not always the most prestigious, or highest ranking, but I've heard that going to a big name school is not as important in this field. I know of a few programs with a cheap tuition rate, but would love to hear about schools that look more expensive but provide great funding or GA positions.

Any information is appreciated, thank you guys!

Hi @SLPtbd and anyone else who may read this with interest, 

Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

My program is located near Erie, Pennsylvania! I chose this school because of its extreme affordability! It still rates pretty high in "Pennsylvania Programs". It is a fairly small school. I did not attend here for undergrad but I think they really think about the price for their graduate students! 

Every first year SLP graduate student is offered a GA position that you can accept or decline. If you accept (which I believe most do) it is 3/4 tuition reduction for the first year and you get paid $7.50/hr with your "paychecks" coming bi-weekly. You can work in the clinic, under a professor with their undergrad classes, or in research. They try to give everyone the choice they are most interested in. You will have to work in those positions 13.5 hours a week for the 15 weeks of the semester (including finals week). They estimate that the GA "award" is worth $10,462 based on tuition rates as of 2017-2018. If you are a "calculations" person, as of right now I believe it is $550 per credit. Im not sure how that compares to every school, but within the 5 schools I applied to, that seemed to be the "standard". 

There are 5 placements (externships) in the program. 2 will be in the clinic on campus and 3 will be outside placements that you can choose. You don't have to worry about them being close to the school. They can be close to your hometown if that is far away! You will have to work with adults and children and both in the school and hospital setting, but they want you to focus the majority of your externship placements on the population and setting you are most interested in. A staff member will discuss it all with you, and place you where you will work best and be the happiest. 

My particular cohort will be 26 individuals this coming fall. I am not sure how that compares to other programs but I believe that is considered on the smaller side. They have a 100% passing rate on the Praxis exam between 2015-2017, a 97% employment rate within 1 year of graduation, and a 95% completion rate. Which they explained only 3 people between 2015-2017 didn't complete the program because they found out within their first year of graduate school that SLP was just not for them. 

Your summer between your 1st and 2nd year, you will have to take 1 class on campus for a small portion of the first half of summer. Then the rest of the summer you will be able to be wherever you want with your placement. 

They do require neuroanatomy. You can take it your first semester of graduate school if needed. So if you don't have that class, I wouldn't be too concerned. But keep in mind, that is just one more class you need to pay for in grad school. 

If you are interested in what is in the area of the school, here is what I can tell you:

Edinboro, itself, is pretty small. The town is very cute, and it is rural enough that I do not believe there to be any sort of "safety" issues. (I haven't lived here yet so I can't say for sure). I live about 2 hours south of Edinboro so I have been in the area numerous times. Erie PA is about a 20 minute drive north of Edinboro. There is a bit more to do in this area if you have a car or make a friend that has a car. There is a beach right on Lake Erie (lake not ocean). There is Waldameer which is an amusement park and Water World water park for the hotter portion of the first semester. There is also Splash Lagoon which is an indoor water park with laser tag and other things to do. There is also fishing, boating and other recreational things you can do outdoors. 

Ultimately you can find something to do, you just have to look for it. (That is if there is any free time available in grad school). 

The only downfall I can see for some people, is that Edinboro is right in the snow belt. Edinboro gets A LOT of snow. Lake effect snow tends to fall directly on Edinboro. 

If anyone has anything to add, please do! Like I said, I can only speak for what I know from experience and family experience who have gone to school in that area for college. I obviously don't know everything there is to know about the program because I did not attend there for undergrad and the Fall semester hasn't begun yet. I only know that if you are looking for an affordable school, I really do think this is a good option. It was definitely one of the selling points for me! 

Feel free to ask me any questions! I will try to answer them or find the answers for you! 

Governors State University is one of the cheapest school in Illinois! It's $353/credit hour. If you are an out of state resident you have to live here for 6 months before you can apply as an instate resident which is a nice option! It's about an hour south of Chicago so it's nice to have the option to travel into the city! 

Not sure where you went to undergrad/where you live, but Worcester State is crazy cheap whether you are in state or out of state! It starts with an intensive course in the summer and spans two and a half years into a fall semester..but still so worth it for the price! They also have department scholarships and GA positions. 

Edited by Peachyspeachy

Eastern New Mexico University is ~$300/credit hour and is entirely a distance program (except for your first semester).

Edited by dafall

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...