New York, NY

I have an acceptance from NYU and my take it. I'd be moving with my husband and elementary-aged child.  What areas are good for families, especially the schools?  My husband is a (computer) systems engineer/admin so we won't be living only on my stipend but are not exactly rich either.  We are not too concerned with a bit of a commute but definitely don't want to spend an hour getting to work/school every day.  My choice would be to live somewhere in Manhattan but I'm OK going further afield if it means better schools, larger apartment.house, etc. Any thoughts?

Manhattan can get pretty pricey, but there are some more affordable areas if you look around. If you don't mind living in one of the other boroughs, Astoria in Queens is a really nice area with a good school system. Astoria is also about a 5-15 minute train ride into Manhattan depending on where you are.

Manhattan can get pretty pricey, but there are some more affordable areas if you look around. If you don't mind living in one of the other boroughs, Astoria in Queens is a really nice area with a good school system. Astoria is also about a 5-15 minute train ride into Manhattan depending on where you are.

I also second this, I live in Astoria right now and it's amazing. Great school district and it's about 20-30 minutes to NYU (you only have to take the N train there) Astoria is nice because it's a mix of areas. You have the main streets where there's some hustle and bustle for when you and your family want to eat out/have fun but you can find apartments away from those streets as well. 

I am really considering having my graduate life in New York but not sure about the living expenses there. Is US$3,000 a month adequate to cover apartment, utilities, food, and commuting expenses at NYC?

Edited by Maxtini

I am really considering having my graduate life in New York but not sure about the living expenses there. Is US$3,000 a month adequate to cover apartment, utilities, food, and commuting expenses at NYC?

It depends where. In Manhattan, yes if you have a roommate or two or three. In any of the outer boroughs, definitely but you might need to do a bit of apartment hunting if you don't want a roommate.

Question for any NYU folk--

I am trying to figure out where I can reasonably afford to live without having to commute from my parents' place in  North Jersey (which would be a nightmare, for a multitude of reasons).

How hard is it to get graduate housing at NYU? I prefer my own space, so is the single bedroom like undergrad living, or do you find it private enough?

For those who live off campus, where should I look to rent? Is it reasonable to hope to find a single bedroom/open loft for under $1200/month? Is the commute from Astoria or Brooklyn horrible?

Any thoughts, personal anecdotes about this are highly appreciated!

If you have residential life experience (like you were an RA) or if you have any student affairs experience from college or life, consider applying to be a graduate hall director at either Columbia or Barnard.  It's a 20-hour-a-week live-in position that provides free housing, a small stipend (around $500/month) and some meals in the dining hall (75 meals for the year).  In return, you supervise a group of resident assistants (usually between 8 and 13), do some administrative work like manage an area budget and fill out paperwork, and serve on crisis call duty between 5 pm and 9 am about 10 weekdays and 2 weekends a semester.  I did it for two years and it was a total blast; I only quit because I got married and needed to focus on my dissertation, plus Columbia didn't have good married housing for GHDs.  Barnard's GHD housing is better than Columbia's.  Columbia's deadline for GHD applications is March 7; Barnard's application isn't up yet but should be soon (app deadline is usually in March).

Hi! I applied to the GHD position and I have a phone interview on Friday. I was wondering if you could tell me more about the position or had any advice for the interview? I can message you too if you'd prefer. Thanks!

Edited by mphwannabe

Hey everyone, 

I'm a new york city native but I wanted to ask any current grad students (particularly any from NYU Sackler, Mt. Sinai or Weill Cornell) how livable a $35,000 stipend is for grad students since they're all in relatively expensive areas of the city. I know the general cost for things but I currently live at home and live rent free. I get by on about $1,000 every month but I imagine that with rent being close to that if not more, I wouldn't have much to spend afterwards depending on what the monthly stipend is. Any thoughts or experiences? I'm trying to decide whether to stay in NYC or leave for grad school and move back in the future. 

Edited by insaneinthemembrane

Question for any NYU folk--

I am trying to figure out where I can reasonably afford to live without having to commute from my parents' place in  North Jersey (which would be a nightmare, for a multitude of reasons).

How hard is it to get graduate housing at NYU? I prefer my own space, so is the single bedroom like undergrad living, or do you find it private enough?

For those who live off campus, where should I look to rent? Is it reasonable to hope to find a single bedroom/open loft for under $1200/month? Is the commute from Astoria or Brooklyn horrible?

Any thoughts, personal anecdotes about this are highly appreciated!

The commute from Astoria down to NYU takes me about 30 minutes from the train platform so definitely doable. It depends on which part of brooklyn you're looking at but it's also not too bad of a commute. I don't think you would find any single bedroom housing anywhere close to the campus around that price range unless you get really lucky. 

The commute from Astoria down to NYU takes me about 30 minutes from the train platform so definitely doable. It depends on which part of brooklyn you're looking at but it's also not too bad of a commute. I don't think you would find any single bedroom housing anywhere close to the campus around that price range unless you get really lucky. 

Good to know-- 30 minutes is a totally reasonable commute to me. Do you think my price range is reasonable for places like Park Slope, Bushwick, Gowanus, Astoria, Ridgewood, etc?

I was accepted to their MA program and am considering going, and just wanted to know if there are any current students or former ones who had input/reflection on their time there. I wasn't given any sort of stipend "at this time," they told me, so, sparing me the details of how foolish it is to go into an MA program paying for own way (been there, done that, I know what's up), I'm just curious to get a feel from others' experiences what the dynamics are in their department— what opportunities are there for MA students in terms of campus work, internships (in Manhattan or otherwise), teaching assistantships (is this reserved for PhD students only?). My focus is American lit. which their department has a specialization in, and I am enthralled to have been accepted as it was truly my dream school. I'm considering taking the plunge, dependent on what offers I receive from two other schools. I basically just want input to get a feel for what kind of situation I'd be in there, and what kind of department they have. I've heard it's close-knit for the most part. I'm obviously going to visit before making any decisions, but am curious about others' experience at this school.

Edited by drownsoda

m2alc: $35K is very livable in the city - my stipend was around $32K. But don't plan on living in the area...if I recall correctly Weill Cornell's academic stuff and Mount Sinai are on the Upper East Side, and NYU Sackler is in like Midtown East. I would plan to live in East Harlem or maybe a close neighborhood in Queens - you should still be able to get there relatively quickly (30 minutes or less depending on how far into Queens you live). But UES is not going to be affordable.

I don't think you are going to find a reasonably priced apartment in Park Slope. You maybe would in Gowns  probably would in Astoria and Ridgewood, and definitely in Bushwick. Astoria's a really nice neighborhood - a friend lives there. You should definitely consider finding some roommates and sharing, though. I only know a very small handful of people in NY who live alone, and most of them have assistance from their parents in one way or another.

I see you were accepted to Emory, too - Atlanta has a very low cost of living, although you would really need a car to get around most efficiently there. Warm summers and mild winters :) I've also heard good things about the Twin Cities.

I just accepted an offer to join Columbia's Pathobiology program, which will be at their Washington Heights campus.  

How is living in Washington Heights?  I plan on living in the grad housing at least the first year.  The housing itself seemed pretty nice, and its affordable and close to campus.  Other than that though, i haven't heard a lot of great things about the area.  I'm hoping to hear some more positive stuff from someone.

What are some other neighborhoods that I may want to look into if I decide to move in the future?  I don't really mind a commute but I'd prefer to stick to one train, which limits options I guess.

I have an acceptance from NYU and my take it. I'd be moving with my husband and elementary-aged child.  What areas are good for families, especially the schools?  My husband is a (computer) systems engineer/admin so we won't be living only on my stipend but are not exactly rich either.  We are not too concerned with a bit of a commute but definitely don't want to spend an hour getting to work/school every day.  My choice would be to live somewhere in Manhattan but I'm OK going further afield if it means better schools, larger apartment.house, etc. Any thoughts?

I'm a public school teacher in New York, and schools in NYC are COMPLICATED because there are more than 1,700 schools in the 5 boroughs. Elementary and middle schools tend to be zoned (though some aren't and may require applications), and students apply to high schools while in 7th grade. I would recommend searching the schools in the different neighborhoods you are interested in living in. Along with DOE website, insideschools.org can be very helpful to get some more insight into the schools. 

In terms of where to live, I agree that Astoria is a good area because it has affordable housing, interesting things to do, and a manageable commute. Upper Manhattan, say above 86th St., will probably have more affordable apartments than other areas of Manhattan, but every neighborhood in Manhattan gets more expensive every year. Brooklyn used to be more affordable, but the neighborhoods that would have a short commute to NYU are becoming more popular. Still, you could research Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Prospect Heights because these are great family neighborhoods and you may be able to find a well-priced apartment. 

Good to know-- 30 minutes is a totally reasonable commute to me. Do you think my price range is reasonable for places like Park Slope, Bushwick, Gowanus, Astoria, Ridgewood, etc?

$1200/month to live alone probably isn't going to happen anywhere (unless you live far out from Manhattan). 

However, if you had a roommate (or two) that could be a possible budget for Astoria, Ridgewood, and Bushwick. This may also be possible in Park Slope, but probably closer to the South Slope. Gowanus does not have very much housing because it is/was an industrial area, so the scarcity actually makes it difficult to find an apartment there. You should also note that Gowanus, while a cool neighborhood, doesn't have that great of train access. This is also true of Bushwick. 

For whatever reason, it's extremely difficult to afford a studio or one bedroom if you have any kind of budget, but once you have roommates, there are many more possibilities. Check out Zillow for an idea of what different neighborhoods are going for right now. 

Edited by allinduetime

Can anyone recommend a good timeline for finding housing? 

My current job contract will be up at the end of June, and classes start in NYC in September.

I'm hoping to sublet my apartment in Boston during July and August and spend some time with family in California during the summer -- when should I look for September housing? I'm hoping to spend a week out at the beginning of July, is that too early/late?

Also, I'm hoping to spend around 800/mo on a room in a shared apartment somewhere near Harlem, is that doable or a total fantasy?

Edited by grad_wannabe

Is it possible to use a bike as a method of transportation in NYC or would it be too dangerous?

It depends on where you are, but yes, you totally can! It's becoming increasingly popular. Just be sure to follow traffic laws and wear a helmet. Also, please use the bike lanes when possible. 

My current job contract will be up at the end of June, and classes start in NYC in September.

I'm hoping to sublet my apartment in Boston during July and August and spend some time with family in California during the summer -- when should I look for September housing? I'm hoping to spend a week out at the beginning of July, is that too early/late?

Also, I'm hoping to spend around 800/mo on a room in a shared apartment somewhere near Harlem, is that doable or a total fantasy?

The summer is the busiest time to find housing, I started searching in early June and still couldn't find a place by August. I was recommended by everyone I talked to to start in May (I also had a Sept start date), but also know that when you find a place you like you have to put a deposit down that day (or at least it's recommended). I remember driving into the city to look at a place and loved it but wasn't 100% sure so I took the afternoon (about 2 hours) to make a decision and then went to the bank to get a cashier's check and dropped it off with my application and got a phone call from the landlord saying that the place had been rented out 10 minutes before I dropped off my check and within that afternoon he received 20 other applications. It's extremely competitive. 

I was extremely lucky to get Columbia housing and I would definitely suggest trying for that. My rent in Morningside is about 1k which is amazing for the area, I don't know anywhere in Harlem where you can get housing for $800, even with multiple roommates. Maybe the outer boroughs but I still think that's a stretch. 

It depends on where you are, but yes, you totally can! It's becoming increasingly popular. Just be sure to follow traffic laws and wear a helmet. Also, please use the bike lanes when possible. 

I will mostly be in Manhattan where the NYU Medical Center is and surrounding areas. That is good to know though! Biking is my favorite way to get around.

July for a September lease is too early. Start looking in August. Because the market in NYC is so competitive, most places are rented within days of being posted (especially no-fee/no-broker ones). For this reason, do not start looking for a place more than a month in advance because most places in NYC are only posted a month before the prior owner's lease is up. If you see a place that is posted two or more months ahead of the move-in date, something is probably wrong with it, or the price is too high.

I've lived in NYC for 6 years and moved twice during that time (plus had to find housing when I first moved there). I found great places every time (only reason I decided to move at the end of each 2-year lease is because NYC has so many great neighborhoods and I wanted to experience living in different locations). My first place was a large 1-bedroom in Jackson Heights (Queens--20 minutes subway ride to Manhattan, and said to be the most diverse neighborhood in the US) for $1,300, my second place was a 1-bedroom on Roosevelt Island (unique place where you might find a good deal since not many people know about it--my boyfriend and I got a 12 months + 3 months free deal, the rent came to about $1,500 for a very large 1-bedroom 5 minutes from the subway), and my third place was a studio in one of the most coveted areas in Brooklyn Heights, which is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Brooklyn (one stop to Manhattan) where it is next to impossible to find anything under $2,000 (my studio was $1,600 in a fantastic location, townhouse tree-lined street, 5 minutes from the subway and with access to all subway lines).

Here is the strategy I used. Never had to hire a broker either.

Start looking for a place as late as possible, ideally no more than 4 weeks before you want to move. Check the Craigslist no-fee section a few times a day, you will quickly get a feel for things. Look at posts with pictures, but do not ignore posts without pictures either (since many people filter them out, you might find a great deal--I found my studio in Brooklyn Heights this way). When you see a place you like, immediately set up a time to visit. Some places will have open houses and will not allow you to visit separately.

As you select places you like, be aware of the NYC trade-off factors that rent price is a function of: space vs. location/subway access (these two go together). Keep in mind that until you become a millionaire, you CANNOT get both a great location/subway access AND a decently large space. The better the location/subway access, the higher the price. The bigger the space, the higher the price. Also, keep in mind that qualifies as "big" in NYC would qualify as "medium/small" in many other places, so adjust your expectations accordingly. In conclusion: decide what your absolute limit is for location and space, keeping in mind you will have to trade one off for the other if you want a decent price. Personally I prefer proximity to the subway (no more than a 10-minute walk and preferably access to more than one line because in NYC there is always subway construction work going on) and can make do with a smaller space. Proximity to the subway means the whole city is my living room (or library), hence I am okay with a smaller space. And in the winter you will hate your life if you have to walk more than 10 minutes to the subway. In my view, your quality of life in NYC will be a lot higher if you are close to the subway vs. having a larger space but being far from the subway.

The other thing is actual distance from Manhattan/your school--I don't really think this matters as much, as long as you are close to the subway it doesn't really matter if your subway ride is 15 minutes or 20. Get the Kindle app and use the time to read, the subway ride can be your personal time to think/read/meditate. Or, as many NYers do, you can take a quick nap and catch up on sleep--for some reason I never fall asleep as fast as I do on the subway! It's much better than living in a city where you have to drive everywhere.

Now for the most important part: when you visit a place that you like and that is in line with your location/space trade-off, i.e. the big factors match up with what you want, put in an application right away, i.e. be ready to sign the dotted line right then and there if they want you to (most places will want to review your credit score first though). Bring whatever paperwork you need such as employment or University co-signing paperwork. Do not assume the apartment will be available the next day or even a few hours later.

Following this strategy, I had to view fewer than 3 places to get a lease each time I moved. So it only took me 1-2 days to find a place, and I started searching about 3-4 weeks before my move-in date, as described above. And for the Brooklyn Heights place, it was literally the first place I checked out. So remember, if you are prepared and follow this strategy NYC moving does not need to be as stressful as it is made out to be. Frankly I am much more apprehensive about finding a place in Boston since I hear there is no way to get around the broker fee there...

Good luck!

Edited by Sabrosura

You're welcome! I'm trying to demystify NYC a little as I see a lot of people are apprehensive about moving there, but it really is not a difficult city to live in, and the cost of living can be manageable as well with a bit of due diligence. I have traveled extensively and NYC is still my favorite city in the world. :) The most important thing to know is that NYC can be *anything* you want it to be, and that's the best part about it. If you want to live a high-energy lifestyle in which you are out and about every night, you can get that, if you want peace and quiet, you can get that too. Not to mention all the amazing authentic food from all over the world you can get in NYC, and as a bonus you will spend less too if you get your food and groceries at ethnic stores and restaurants. :)

I'm applying to Hunter College, and if accepted, I'll be moving from Utah to NYC.  I have a brother there, but his apartment is full and I'm worried about making monthly payments of rent without a job (my program would involve coursework 2 days a week, and field placement -mostly unpaid- the other 3 days).  I'm wondering how the dorm situations are, or if there's some crazy way to make a monthly rent payment happen.  I know I'll be taking out loans, but my experience with education loans have been just enough to cover tuition.  Do they give you more as a graduate student?

I'm really excited about this possibility of moving to my favorite city, but I'm trying to prepare myself for whatever may come and understand exactly how everything works.