New York, NY

22 minutes ago, Shahed_d said:

Thanks Heather,

Do you know what neighborhoods specifically in BK or Queens would be best to try and look for a 1000-1200 1br (not studio) in? Trying to figure the neighborhood with the right balance of affordability and commute to NYU, so just looking for an idea of how far away from Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg you have to get before you start finding apartments in that range. 

Also, does anybody have recommendations on how to convince landlords to rent to two people who are new in town and thus have no proof on income from NYC? My girlfriend's brother lives in Manhattan and is well off, would that kind of a co-signer, plus proof of my school grants and loans, plus some savings in the bank suffice? I've been reading that you really want to have your application together in order to grab something quick, so I'm trying to get an idea of what people that are just moving into town need to be able to close a deal.

One last thing, what is the best way to find apartments once you've decided on budget, neighborhood, etc. Is to just go looking around for signs? Any good websites? Or should I just go to an agency? I'm also a bit mystified by the broker-fee concept, do they take SO MUCH money that people are just reluctant to use them? I feel like it would be a worthwhile expenditure if they didn't take more than 500-1000 dollars to close a deal.

I know that's a lot of questions but I've been really getting a lot from reading the forums on this website. Thanks to everyone who has been so willing to help the newbies.

You have to get significantly far from Brooklyn Heights for that range.  Crown Heights or Bed Stuy might be a good place to try (Crown Heights is slightly "better"/safer).  I also suggest Kensington, Borough Park, Midwood, or Bensonhurst in Brooklyn.  I live in Kensington and I think it's possible to find something at that rate, and it's about 30 minutes to the Village.  You may also want to try Flatbush, there are definitely good deals there.

Hey Peanut! You may want to check out the New York City thread for this question. They have a great rundown of affordable places in NYC. But the short answer is not really unless you decide to live in what is essentially a closet or find some roommates, unless you are super lucky and manage to snag a rent controlled apartment. 

Anyone know where to look for good apartments in the Garden City/Mineola area? I'm moving from Philly for Adelphi's speech path masters program and need to figure out housing. I'm not looking to live on campus because I'd be uncomfortable rooming with someone I don't know.

3 hours ago, jenjoy said:

Anyone know where to look for good apartments in the Garden City/Mineola area? I'm moving from Philly for Adelphi's speech path masters program and need to figure out housing. I'm not looking to live on campus because I'd be uncomfortable rooming with someone I don't know.

It will be very difficult to find affordable 1br apartments in NYC; it's not the kind of place you can move to by yourself as a grad student and get your own apartment. Nonetheless, you should reach out to students in the program (or ask your program for student contact info) and see what kind of living situations they have. I doubt any of them will be in their own apartments unless they have a lot of money. 

On 3/21/2016 at 7:09 AM, Heather1011 said:

Yes, it's doable, but you can't be too picky about where you live.  Further out into Brooklyn/Queens, or in "bad" neighborhoods, you can get waaaaay cheaper than that.  When I first moved to NYC, I lived in Bath Beach/Bensonhurst, which is a lovely enough area, and I paid $600/month including utilities.  It just took over an hour to get places in Manhattan.  I currently pay a little more than 950 in my place much closer to Manhattan, but my roommate pays less, about what you want to pay.

Thanks for responding!

Even $950 is too much (it's only 80 dollars less than I am paying now in a 4 bedroom), now that I am thinking things through. I know a girl in the sociology phd department at my school and I think she pays $700 per month in Queens. A met a girl recently (not a student, though) who pays $670 a month (she said it's newly renovated). I think I'll go a bit out into Queens or Brooklyn. $850 will be my absolute max. As long as it doesn't take more than 45 - 50 minutes to go to Manhattan, then I'll make do.

4 minutes ago, ravyn said:

Thanks for responding!

Even $950 is too much (it's only 80 dollars less than I am paying now in a 4 bedroom), now that I am thinking things through. I know a girl in the sociology phd department at my school and I think she pays $700 per month in Queens. A met a girl recently (not a student, though) who pays $670 a month (she said it's newly renovated). I think I'll go a bit out into Queens or Brooklyn. $850 will be my absolute max. As long as it doesn't take more than 45 - 50 minutes to go to Manhattan, then I'll make do.

I think 50 min out of Manhattan at < 850 is a reasonable expectation, you should be fine :)

Hi everyone,

I've just accepted Columbia TC's offer for an MA in TESOL, and will be attending starting in the Fall. I'll most likely be in grad housing, since I don't think I'll be able to find anything for much cheaper and might not be staying in NYC for the whole year. Anyone who's dorming at TC and wants a predetermined roommate, please message me!

Does anyone know anything about Columbia's grad housing? I was looking for a studio so I'd either go with a room in the Georgian Building or 154 Haven. Has anyone lived in either of these buildings and know which one is better in terms of accomodations, size, etc?

Thanks!

On March 21, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Shahed_d said:

Thanks Heather,

Do you know what neighborhoods specifically in BK or Queens would be best to try and look for a 1000-1200 1br (not studio) in? Trying to figure the neighborhood with the right balance of affordability and commute to NYU, so just looking for an idea of how far away from Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg you have to get before you start finding apartments in that range. 

Also, does anybody have recommendations on how to convince landlords to rent to two people who are new in town and thus have no proof on income from NYC? My girlfriend's brother lives in Manhattan and is well off, would that kind of a co-signer, plus proof of my school grants and loans, plus some savings in the bank suffice? I've been reading that you really want to have your application together in order to grab something quick, so I'm trying to get an idea of what people that are just moving into town need to be able to close a deal.

One last thing, what is the best way to find apartments once you've decided on budget, neighborhood, etc. Is to just go looking around for signs? Any good websites? Or should I just go to an agency? I'm also a bit mystified by the broker-fee concept, do they take SO MUCH money that people are just reluctant to use them? I feel like it would be a worthwhile expenditure if they didn't take more than 500-1000 dollars to close a deal.

I know that's a lot of questions but I've been really getting a lot from reading the forums on this website. Thanks to everyone who has been so willing to help the newbies.

I have a friend who lives off the Ditmas stop of the F train in Brooklyn. It's a little far out, but she has a super nice 1 bedroom apartment for $1300. It's actually a nice Hasidic neighborhood, doesn't feel sketchy at all. I bet you could find something there in your price range. 

On 4/12/2016 at 8:09 AM, mmmarimba said:

I have a friend who lives off the Ditmas stop of the F train in Brooklyn. It's a little far out, but she has a super nice 1 bedroom apartment for $1300. It's actually a nice Hasidic neighborhood, doesn't feel sketchy at all. I bet you could find something there in your price range. 

Haha, I also live off the Ditmas stop on the F train in the nice Hasidic neighborhood. so I can confirm that it is not sketchy! :D Creepy.  Yeah, that's Kensington.  It's affordable (my 2 bedroom is $1800, it's huge) and mostly on the up & up, gentrification-wise (I'll just throw that term out there), so get the apartments while they're still affordable.  As a young white girl moving in three years ago, my roommate and I have noticed an influx of other young white people moving into this mostly Hasidic/Mexican/Bangladeshi neighborhood.  We're kinda sad about it, but we're part of the problem :P 

Edited by Heather1011

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond excited to be moving to NYC! Attending TC Columbia's Social Organizational Psychology this Fall!

I am still trying to decide between on campus and off campus housing.

Anyone in the same boat as me? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to Sarah Lawrence for undergrad and grad. Housing is definitely one of the more annoying things about it. Most grads in my program buddied up to find housing; that's probably your best bet. Living in a neighboring town should be no problem if you have a car, or even a bicycle. I lived in a so-so place in Yonkers and walked to and from campus 30 minutes each day, and I was fine; I spent most of my time on campus anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

@jdc1004 - Those are housing options nearby the Columbia medical center campus - are you a medical center student? Those are the only ones who can get those.

I went to Columbia's medical center campus (public health, 2008-2014) and I lived in Washington Heights for three of the years I lived there. I lived on Haven Avenue actually one or two buildings over from 154 Haven, in a non-Columbia unit, and I had friends who lived in the Georgian and 154 Haven. If you have to choose between Columbia housing options, I think 154 Haven is better than the Georgian. The studios in 154 Haven are bigger, and it's newer and brighter, and Haven Ave is way quieter than 168th St. The Georgian is on the corner of 168th and Broadway, right across from the ambulance bank of the ER (so ambulances all night, yaaaay) and next to one of the busiest thoroughfares in the city. Haven Ave was pretty quiet and residential, and you're half a block from a nice park with a dog run and just like a block from Broadway if you want to walk there for shopping. Both of these were dealbreakers for me because their kitchenettes have no ovens. I just felt like $1200-1400 was an outrageous price to pay for a tiny studio with no oven - you can find an actual decent-sized studio with an oven in the same neighborhood, or pay for half of a 2-bedroom with a living room and kitchen for a lot less than that in that neighborhood. Overall I just felt like the medical center campus's rental rates were overpriced for the neighborhood.

I know NYC is expensive, but for students isn't there always a 1k-1.2k per month shared housing option? You can find these in most major cities I know of (LA, Seattle, Boston)

All of those cities are less expensive to live in than New York. However, you can find a shared apartment with a roommate in which you pay less than $1200/month with roommates in New York.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys, I am planning to move NY for research and I realized that I need a roommate to survive to be on time for my morning meetings at NYU Langone Med Center. Could you please share your experiences and most important if anyone looking for a roommate or leaving their apartments.

Really appreciated ! H

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone here had any experience with subsidized housing? Can students living on stipends qualify? I suppose establishing residency is a given, but I but can't find specific info, even about that. If you can share any thoughts or point me to some links, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thank you.

On 2/22/2017 at 2:19 PM, HermioneWannabe said:

Anyone have info about the Columbia grad housing?  There's a 95% chance that's where I'll be going in the fall and I like to start having a handle on things as early as possible. 

You should receive an email from Columbia about Graduate Housing Application or you can also check out here: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/how-apply

In general, graduate housing in the main campus (116th Street) is reserved for PhD and Post-Doc so if you are a MA student, you may want to search for off campus alternatives.

Edited by machinescholar

11 hours ago, machinescholar said:

You should receive an email from Columbia about Graduate Housing Application or you can also check out here: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/how-apply

In general, graduate housing in the main campus (116th Street) is reserved for PhD and Post-Doc so if you are a MA student, you may want to search for off campus alternatives.

Awesome, thanks! I'll be going into their phd program, so I'll keep that in mind. 

On 2/18/2017 at 4:27 PM, unitstructures said:

Has anyone here had any experience with subsidized housing? Can students living on stipends qualify? I suppose establishing residency is a given, but I but can't find specific info, even about that. If you can share any thoughts or point me to some links, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thank you.

Hi @unitstructures, my client base at work is folks in poverty and I can say from experience that it is VERY difficult to get subsidized housing. Even New Yorkers are on housing lotteries for years. If you're moving to the city from elsewhere, I honestly would not recommend that as an avenue because you almost definitely won't find housing in time. This goes for public housing (social housing to you Berliners) as well as rent voucher programs.

@unitstructures if you don't mind me asking, where are you going? Some schools subsidize student apartments. You can also apply for International House, which offers graduate student housing in Manhattan at discounted rates compares to the area. You can also consider living in one of the outer boroughs and commuting in.

I just found out that I've been admitted to a PhD program with five years of funding at CUNY.  I visited it when I interviewed.  I've been to NY a few times, but haven't spent any time in Midtown other than when I went to my interview.  Can anyone give me advice about CUNY and/or New York?  Where can I find (reasonably) affordable housing with my husband?  Is it possible to find safe/reasonably affordable housing?  Will I have to sell my car?  Is apartment searching in NY better online or on foot?  

Thanks!

On 3/2/2017 at 8:28 PM, emilyf413 said:

Hi @unitstructures, my client base at work is folks in poverty and I can say from experience that it is VERY difficult to get subsidized housing. Even New Yorkers are on housing lotteries for years. If you're moving to the city from elsewhere, I honestly would not recommend that as an avenue because you almost definitely won't find housing in time. This goes for public housing (social housing to you Berliners) as well as rent voucher programs.

Thanks for the answer. Another question: what if I plan to live there for 5+ years? Can I get in the lottery just in case I can qualify in the far future? If so, what steps should I take? 

On 3/3/2017 at 6:52 AM, kimmibeans said:

@unitstructures if you don't mind me asking, where are you going? Some schools subsidize student apartments. You can also apply for International House, which offers graduate student housing in Manhattan at discounted rates compares to the area. You can also consider living in one of the outer boroughs and commuting in.

Thanks for the link. The school I'm considering offers housing, but their prices are still too high. After tax, rent, and a monthly metro card, I would have about 160/mo for utilities, food, and everything else, which is not possible. Not afraid to live on ramen for five years, but still.

As for the outer boroughs, it seems landlords usually want to see proof of annual income that is about 40x the monthly rent. That's only 650/mo for the stipend I was offered, before taxes.

The only solution I see is to live in a flat-share. Is this what all students living only on graduate stipends do? I guess yes...

On 3/5/2017 at 12:34 PM, unitstructures said:

Thanks for the answer. Another question: what if I plan to live there for 5+ years? Can I get in the lottery just in case I can qualify in the far future? If so, what steps should I take? 

Thanks for the link. The school I'm considering offers housing, but their prices are still too high. After tax, rent, and a monthly metro card, I would have about 160/mo for utilities, food, and everything else, which is not possible. Not afraid to live on ramen for five years, but still.

As for the outer boroughs, it seems landlords usually want to see proof of annual income that is about 40x the monthly rent. That's only 650/mo for the stipend I was offered, before taxes.

The only solution I see is to live in a flat-share. Is this what all students living only on graduate stipends do? I guess yes...

I would say $160/month for groceries, food and misc in NYC is next to impossible ...

And yes, most graduate students live in shared apartments. Many universities have off campus housing websites where you can find roommates. You should definitely check it out.