New York, NY

For the roommates from MSM and Columbia looking to room together - none of the on-campus options will allow you to do that, and I-House - as far as I know - will only allow domestic partners and married couples to apply for housing together with the guarantee of ending up in the same unit or room.  I'd look for off-campus housing on the open market.  Morningside Heights may be more than you want to pay for a two-bedroom; if you were willing to flex a one-bed you could probably find an apartment on the market in the area for <$2,000.  If you wanted separate bedrooms then you should probably investigate Harlem or Washington Heights.  I lived in Wash Heights and it took me 20 minutes door to door to get to Columbia, and me and my roommate lived in a big two-bedroom for $1800/month.  I 100% agree with the crosstown bus thing, though, in Central Harlem.  You can get a decently-sized and priced apartment there, and it might even be newly renovated in a brownstone.  A friend of mine and her roommate lived at 133rd and Malcolm X/Lenox (Central Harlem) in a newly renovated two-bedroom in a brownstone with exposed brick and stainless steel appliances - including a dishwasher!! - for $2000/month.  BUT.  You could wait aaaaalllll day for the M60 to come by, and I have a friend who lives at 141st & Lenox (Central Harlem) who has to take the 2/3 down to 96th and then switch to the uptown 1 train to go to 116th/Columbia.  (I hate the crosstown buses.)

I agree with the two weeks estimate.  My roommate went to scout out an apartment probably like 3 weeks ahead of time, found one, signed a lease.  When we called to arrange for me to sign the lease, the landlord had rented the apartment to someone else who was going to move in sooner and start paying pro-rated rent sooner.  We found our actual apartment on Monday, signed the lease Thursday and had moved in by Friday.  And the only reason we waited the four days is because it took me that long to cobble together my security deposit (they asked for twice as much as I expected they would).

I also did the LIRR thing to Port Washington every morning and evening for a summer internship - I was commuting from uptown by CUMC.  It took me 2 hours each way, but it was a pretty pleasant trip - only one change (A to Penn Station was about 45 minutes and then the LIRR to Port Washington was about an hour).  I also tried to find a way to save money but found none - the student discounts are only for those in K-12.  So yeah, it does look like it'll be about $40 round-trip and also about a 2-hour trip (the 1 train from Penn Station to Columbia/116th St is about 30 minutes).  The only way you could save money is if you were always coming at off-peak times and could by a 10-trip off-peak pass.  But then you'd have to get to Penn Station after 10 am every day and department from Penn Station before 4 pm or after 8 pm, which is probably unrealistic for your program.

Do you have any opinions on the brooklyner? It is in Brooklyn heights. Do you think it is a viable commute for a NYU student. Do you think it is a safe area? Do you have other suggestion for 2000 studio (nice apartment complex with gym and pool, washer and dryer in the house)?

Do you have any opinions on the brooklyner? It is in Brooklyn heights. Do you think it is a viable commute for a NYU student. Do you think it is a safe area? Do you have other suggestion for 2000 studio (nice apartment complex with gym and pool, washer and dryer in the house)?

Brooklyn Heights is a super nice area. It's really very safe (as is the vast majority of New York), and it's a short commute to NYU; probably 20 minutes, including walking. I think finding all those amenities is definitely possible, but you'll obviously be looking at big, new buildings. You might also look in Financial District (you might be slightly priced out there, but the majority of buildings offer those amenities). There's also a lot of new buildings in Long Island City and Williamsburg that might have what you're looking for. 

As to where I'm going, I went and visited this week (I'd never been to Seattle and the department paid for plane tickets and lodging) and I absolutely loved the program out there. But I really love NYC and my fiance wants to stay here for his job/future school prospects. He's at NYU now in psychology and he really likes it. I'm super torn! 

Good luck! 

Brooklyn Heights is a super nice area. It's really very safe (as is the vast majority of New York), and it's a short commute to NYU; probably 20 minutes, including walking. I think finding all those amenities is definitely possible, but you'll obviously be looking at big, new buildings. You might also look in Financial District (you might be slightly priced out there, but the majority of buildings offer those amenities). There's also a lot of new buildings in Long Island City and Williamsburg that might have what you're looking for. 

As to where I'm going, I went and visited this week (I'd never been to Seattle and the department paid for plane tickets and lodging) and I absolutely loved the program out there. But I really love NYC and my fiance wants to stay here for his job/future school prospects. He's at NYU now in psychology and he really likes it. I'm super torn! 

Good luck! 

Thank you so much for all the information and best of luck to you!!!!!

I'm looking for housing in Queens, seeing as I will be attending St. John's University (in Jamaica, Queens) starting in the fall! I was curious if anyone had opinions on certain boroughs in Queens... I would really like to be near a subway line that goes into Manhattan, is relatively close to the St. John's campus (by bus), and is not too expensive. :)

I was born and raised in Queens, and there are plenty of neighborhoods to choose from. Personally, I think Forest Hills might be a good option. Apartments are pretty inexpensive, there's a large shopping street that has many different stores, It takes about 25 minutes to get to St. John's via public transportation (about 10-15 minutes by car), and the E,F,R,V and LIRR (all of which go into Manhattan) are there as well as several buses. It's a vibrant neighborhood with lots of community activity and VERY safe. They also have their own community based ambulance service which holds events throughout the year (shameless self promotion since I volunteer with them).

There is also Woodside and Flushing, which connect to the 7 train and LIRR and several buses, but are farther away from St. John's than Forest Hills. However both are vibrant neighborhoods close to the city. Flushing has a very vibrant East Asian community, so there is lots of awesome food!

If you don't mind being a little further from the city, Bayside is another option. It is about 25-30 minutes by bus to St. John's and the LIRR goes into the city from there. It's a bit more suburban than the other neighborhoods I mention, but there is plenty to do.

I hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions!

Can anyone give advice about living near the Upper East Side and Hunter College (68th)? Budget is pretty limited so the cheaper, the better, but I know it's an expensive part of town..

I went to high school a block away from Hunter. The area is REALLY expensive, and you are unlikely to find an affordable apartment nearby. However, both the 6 and the F are really close (actually, the 6 stop connects underground to Hunter) so commuting there is really easy. Plus, there are a ton of buses that stop near if not next to HUnter. If you live in one of the outer boroughs like Queens or further uptown, the commute can take as little as 15-20 minutes. I would definitely recommend to looking at apartments a little further away. It's annoying because you won't be as close to home, but the glory of living in NYC is that our public transportation operates 24/7.

I agree - unless you're wealthy or willing to borrow the big bucks, living on the UES nearby Hunter is unaffordable.  But you can easily commute from East Harlem or Queens.

Brooklyn Heights is a really nice neighborhood and one of the more desirable neighborhoods in the whole city, let alone Brooklyn.  So yeah, it's a great place to live, and definitely a viable commute for an NYU student.  It's about 15 minutes and you can take the A/C or the F.  Easy cake.  It's a relatively new building - I remember seeing the advertisements for it when it was newer, and I've lived here in 6 years, so probably younger than 6 years.  However, I think the Brooklyner may be a little more expensive than what you're looking for.  The studios start at about $2300.  Also, I don't think there's a pool, although there is a fitness center.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but NYC apartments work really, really different from apartments anywhere else.  I'm from Atlanta, and in an apartment complex down there you would expect a pool, probably a fitness center in a mid-priced complex, and definitely a washer/dryer in the unit in even a budget unit.  But in NYC, you pay through the nose for even things that are basic in other places and even if you are willing to pay through the nose, sometimes those things are difficult to find.  First of all, there aren't really "complexes" here, rather buildings.  The only complex I can think of is Stuyvesant Town  I think most luxury apartment units will definitely have washer/dryers in unit, but even some of the luxury places might not have that.  Many of them will have fitness centers, but I think few of them will have pools.  I had some friends who lived in Trump Towers and even they don't have a pool.  You might want to consider instead living in a place with a W/D in unit that's on the same block as a great gym with a pool, like a NY Racquet Club or Equinox.  I also agree with the advice to look in the Financial District - that's a pretty short commute to NYU.  I have a friend who lives in a building quite like the one you want (fitness center, I think there may be a pool, definitely w/d in unit) in the Financial District - she works at a big financial firm and walks to work every day.

Personally, if I had $2,000 to spend on a studio or one-bed, I'd take advantage of that and live in a building in the Village (or SoHo) really close by NYU, and join a gym on my block.  The neighborhood is really great - lots of great food and shopping!  But I do think that the allure of having a fitness center in my building and a W/D in my unit would be pretty amazing.

I agree - unless you're wealthy or willing to borrow the big bucks, living on the UES nearby Hunter is unaffordable.  But you can easily commute from East Harlem or Queens.

Brooklyn Heights is a really nice neighborhood and one of the more desirable neighborhoods in the whole city, let alone Brooklyn.  So yeah, it's a great place to live, and definitely a viable commute for an NYU student.  It's about 15 minutes and you can take the A/C or the F.  Easy cake.  It's a relatively new building - I remember seeing the advertisements for it when it was newer, and I've lived here in 6 years, so probably younger than 6 years.  However, I think the Brooklyner may be a little more expensive than what you're looking for.  The studios start at about $2300.  Also, I don't think there's a pool, although there is a fitness center.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but NYC apartments work really, really different from apartments anywhere else.  I'm from Atlanta, and in an apartment complex down there you would expect a pool, probably a fitness center in a mid-priced complex, and definitely a washer/dryer in the unit in even a budget unit.  But in NYC, you pay through the nose for even things that are basic in other places and even if you are willing to pay through the nose, sometimes those things are difficult to find.  First of all, there aren't really "complexes" here, rather buildings.  The only complex I can think of is Stuyvesant Town  I think most luxury apartment units will definitely have washer/dryers in unit, but even some of the luxury places might not have that.  Many of them will have fitness centers, but I think few of them will have pools.  I had some friends who lived in Trump Towers and even they don't have a pool.  You might want to consider instead living in a place with a W/D in unit that's on the same block as a great gym with a pool, like a NY Racquet Club or Equinox.  I also agree with the advice to look in the Financial District - that's a pretty short commute to NYU.  I have a friend who lives in a building quite like the one you want (fitness center, I think there may be a pool, definitely w/d in unit) in the Financial District - she works at a big financial firm and walks to work every day.

Personally, if I had $2,000 to spend on a studio or one-bed, I'd take advantage of that and live in a building in the Village (or SoHo) really close by NYU, and join a gym on my block.  The neighborhood is really great - lots of great food and shopping!  But I do think that the allure of having a fitness center in my building and a W/D in my unit would be pretty amazing.

thank you so much for the info! Do you by any chance have some specific places in the financial district that fits the 2k limit? Somehow i would expect studios in the financial district to be way more expensive than 2k. I honestly wouldn't mind living closer to NYU.

Hallo,

I am thinking of  attending a program at CCNY, and I need some suggestions at which areas I could possibly live.

I am an international student, so I am in lack of information. I will do a MA program which is not funded, so I can not afford a high rent.

I heard that the school is placed at a unsafety neighbourhood, so I am also thinking of living on campus. 

Can anybody share some information about budgets living in New York?

Is it easy to find a part-time job to survive? How are they paid?

Thanks a lot!

Well, we'd have one person in the living room (MSM tuition is pretty ridiculous). I also doubt that either school would be willing to accommodate that, but actually I haven't even asked so I'll probably do that soon. Thanks for the off-campus housing suggestions though! That's what we'll likely be going with so it's great to have a starting point :)

You really don't want to have one person's bedroom be in the living room. I guarantee you this will cause problems. Two people living together, even if they really love each other, should each be able to get away from each other if necessary. If you or your friend has to walk through the other person's bedroom in order to visit the kitchen, the bathroom or to go outside, it's going to get dicey. Plus, whoever lives in the living room will have no privacy. Trust me. It's a recipe for disaster.

If anyone needs help finding an apt in NYC, I have a good friend who does real estate. He's lived in NYC his whole life, so he's well acquainted with the safety/cost/ease of transportation of various neighborhoods. He's helping me find a place when I move this summer. You can PM me for his info. 

You really don't want to have one person's bedroom be in the living room. I guarantee you this will cause problems. Two people living together, even if the really love each other, should each be able to get away from each other if necessary. If you or your friend has to walk through the other person's bedroom in order to visit the kitchen, the bathroom or to go outside, it's going to get dicey. Plus, whoever lives in the living room will have no privacy. Trust me. It's a recipe for disaster.

I think this depends on how the apartment is set up.  My old two-bedroom apartment was set up so that the living room was truly a separate room, and you didn't have to walk through it to get to any of the other shared spaces (kitchen or bathroom) or to any of the other rooms - when you entered you could walk down a long hallway to get to the bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen.  So it would've been pretty easy to flex that into a 3-bedroom and the roommate in the living room would've had plenty of privacy.

I am thinking of  attending a program at CCNY, and I need some suggestions at which areas I could possibly live.

I am an international student, so I am in lack of information. I will do a MA program which is not funded, so I can not afford a high rent.

I heard that the school is placed at a unsafety neighbourhood, so I am also thinking of living on campus. 

Can anybody share some information about budgets living in New York?

Is it easy to find a part-time job to survive? How are they paid?

Thanks a lot!

CCNY is in a mixed area.  There are parts around it that are kind of sketchy - I would say mostly in the high 130s and the 140s east of St. Nicholas.  But I had a couple of friends who lived there (one at 133rd and Lenox, and one at 141st and Lenox) and were just fine; both lived in really pretty newly renovated units.  There are also close-by neighborhoods that I consider fine and would totally live or actually have lived in.  I actually live relatively close to CCNY - it's two stops away on the train or a 10-minute bus ride from me - in a nice neighborhood.  If you looked in the 130s and 140s along Broadway, or in the 120s between Broadway and like Amsterdam or St. Nicholas (that's Harlem) I think you'd be fine.  You should also look at Washington Heights - which starts in the high 150s/early 160s.  If you look around 165th to 175th St that's the area of NYP Hospital and the Columbia University Medical Center, so lots of students live around there and it's a very safe area.  That's where I lived when I first moved here; it's called Washington Heights.  If you share with people in any of those areas. you will probably pay anywhere from $700-1000 a month - with the most common amount being between $800-900.

What information about budgets do you want?  How easy it is to find a part-time job depends on your skills and degrees.  I found it very easy to find a part-time job on campus, and after I earned my MA in my MA/PhD program, it was extremely easy to find part-time work in the city - lots of nonprofits and corporate firms want people with my skills and an MA (I do statistical analyses and know a couple of different packages).  If you have any research experience you could work as a part-time research coordinator or project manager.  It just depends.  It also depends on when you're looking - when you move in August there will be tons of other students also looking for part-time jobs, but if if you're looking in the winter to early spring months there's less competition.

When I first moved to New York I shared a two-bedroom apartment in Washington Heights.  I paid $900 for my half of the rent; my half of the utilities (gas/electric) was usually around $30-60 depending on the time of year (more in the summer with the air conditioner running) and $15 for Internet.  I think I spent about $250/month on groceries.  The monthly unlimited MetroCard back then was $81 but I think it's like $112/month now.  My cell phone bill was about $100/month, but you can definitely get something cheaper.

CCNY is in a mixed area. There are parts around it that are kind of sketchy - I would say mostly in the high 130s and the 140s east of St. Nicholas. But I had a couple of friends who lived there (one at 133rd and Lenox, and one at 141st and Lenox) and were just fine; both lived in really pretty newly renovated units. There are also close-by neighborhoods that I consider fine and would totally live or actually have lived in. I actually live relatively close to CCNY - it's two stops away on the train or a 10-minute bus ride from me - in a nice neighborhood. If you looked in the 130s and 140s along Broadway, or in the 120s between Broadway and like Amsterdam or St. Nicholas (that's Harlem) I think you'd be fine. You should also look at Washington Heights - which starts in the high 150s/early 160s. If you look around 165th to 175th St that's the area of NYP Hospital and the Columbia University Medical Center, so lots of students live around there and it's a very safe area. That's where I lived when I first moved here; it's called Washington Heights. If you share with people in any of those areas. you will probably pay anywhere from $700-1000 a month - with the most common amount being between $800-900.

What information about budgets do you want? How easy it is to find a part-time job depends on your skills and degrees. I found it very easy to find a part-time job on campus, and after I earned my MA in my MA/PhD program, it was extremely easy to find part-time work in the city - lots of nonprofits and corporate firms want people with my skills and an MA (I do statistical analyses and know a couple of different packages). If you have any research experience you could work as a part-time research coordinator or project manager. It just depends. It also depends on when you're looking - when you move in August there will be tons of other students also looking for part-time jobs, but if if you're looking in the winter to early spring months there's less competition.

When I first moved to New York I shared a two-bedroom apartment in Washington Heights. I paid $900 for my half of the rent; my half of the utilities (gas/electric) was usually around $30-60 depending on the time of year (more in the summer with the air conditioner running) and $15 for Internet. I think I spent about $250/month on groceries. The monthly unlimited MetroCard back then was $81 but I think it's like $112/month now. My cell phone bill was about $100/month, but you can definitely get something cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any opinions on the graduate dorms for NYU? I have been trying to look at my options (for engineering at NYU) and I have been finding that some of the buildings are only for certain programs. So I am not all that sure what my options really are. I wanted to live in an apartment style but I'm not so sure anymore.

Any help or other information about living and going to NYU would be much appreciated!

For those of you who want to transition into living in New York, especially if you're from far away and can't look for apartments easily, I'd highly recommend applying to International House of New York for at least your first year.  It's a 10-minute walk from Columbia, but they house graduate students (including NYU, CUNY, Manhattan School of Music, etc.) or interns from all over the world.  It's a good way to make friends outside of your program and also learn the ropes of how to look for quality apartments after your stay (you can stay for up to 3 years).

What about mosquitoes?  :blink:

I get mosquito bites very often in my home city, and I am afraid of mosquitoes very much  :wacko:

I heard that there was a mosquito problem a few years ago. 

What about recently? Are there many mosquitoes in NYC?

There are mosquitos in New York, but not many. The number varies with where in the city you are though, as the outer boroughs tend to have more Mosquitos than Manhattan. Expect mosquito bites, but not many.

There are mosquitos in New York, but not many. The number varies with where in the city you are though, as the outer boroughs tend to have more Mosquitos than Manhattan. Expect mosquito bites, but not many.

Thanks~ :)  Maybe I need to get some mosquito repellents when I go outdoor B)

Hey, you'll be across the street from me :D  (Or would be.  I'm graduating!  But my husband will still be here.)

1. Well, it's on the high end of Columbia's housing even for 1-bedrooms.  Is it a good rate for this neighborhood?  Kind of.  It's cheaper than most 1-bedrooms in the neighborhood, which can run $2,000 a month.  Is it a good and/or affordable rate overall?  Eh.  $1600 is far more than I'd be willing to spend as a single person moving to New York.  If you got a 1-bedroom in Columbia housing, it's probable that you'll be sharing with a partner, so that can be doable if your partner has steady income

2. They vary in size.  My husband and I live in a one-bedroom, and it's decently sized.  I wish I could remember how many square feet, but I'm bad at estimating size.  And I don't have our floor plan anymore (I thought I saved it PDF, but I didn't)

3. You can't, but in my building lots of people have dogs even though it says no pets.  I'm pretty sure we're an all-Columbia building (we have a doorman hired by Columbia and all our facilities people work for Columbia).  And some of them are huge, like this huge sweet bulldog and a giant golden Lab adolescent.  I'm sure tons of people have illegal cats (as a matter of fact, I know for sure that at least one of my neighbors has two or three cats because I've seen her gently push them back into the apartment with her foot as she leaves in the morning).

4. It has a really nice facade/entry way!  Haven't seen past that, honestly.  We're a block from a grocery store (terrible grocery store, but good for a quick "crap, I need tomatoes" run), and a couple of blocks from a nice small wine store.  Butler is also right on the end of the block across the street from Morningside Park.  It's a nice park during the day but I would approach from the Amsterdam side at night (not that you'd ever have a reason to approach from the other side; the park blocks everything, and Columbia is towards Amsterdam and away from the park).

PM me if you have specific questions about the neighborhood!

I just got approved by my school for housing, I haven't gotten my assignment yet. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the initial deposit for your apartment? I am trying to determine how much it will be once I get assigned.  If you don't feel comfortable posting it here you can PM me. 

Just got my housing assignment from Columbia. It appears to be a 1BR in Butler Hall for around $1600 a month. Can anyone tell me:

1. whether this is a good rate (I suspect it is)

2. how big the 1BRs are?

3. how to convince them to let us bring our cat

4. any else about Butler Hall?

Columbia Housing doesn't allow us to see the floorplan or any pics of the place before the deadline for signing (in 4 days!!).

Wow, how do all these people get their dogs past the front desk and doormen for walks?

The doormen say nothing.  In fact, they often pet/greet the dogs.

Our deposit was equivalent to one month's rent, if I remember correctly.

I also just received my housing assignment from Columbia and have 4 days to decide! It's at 526 West 112th Street, $1,092.98 per month (includes utilities), 1 roommate. Since I won't be able to see the place before saying yes/no, wanted to see if the rent sounds reasonable for the area, and if anyone is familiar with the building or knows anyone living there that can share what the place is like. 

Thanks!!

Edited by hpa87