New York, NY

Hello everyone. I need advise regarding mobile connection. I have an unlocked Iphone 5 that I want to bring along to USA and continue using. I think that leaves T mobile as my only option for service provider but i have heard that its quality is really bad around Columbia university campus. Anybody have any experience regarding that? Is it worth bringing my phone or should i just get rid of it here and buy a contract deal with verizon? 

You heard quality was bad here? Not really, Columbia is in a prominent neighborhood of Manhattan, they won't neglect customers there. It's totally fine, go with T mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

Pistache: Everyone wants to waitress to make extra money on the side, so waitressing could potentially be competitive especially at some of the mid-range and high-end places - and especially if you want to make enough to cover rent plus some living expenses.

Samsonite2PV: You can probably find a template online.

Namash: I used to have T-Mobile and I go to Columbia.  The service was pretty bad (spotty, dropped calls, <3 bars sometimes) and it was eventually part of what made me decide to ditch T-Mobile 3-4 years ago and go with AT&T.  Verizon is also pretty good (actually, their service is better than AT&T's around here).  My best friend also had T-Mobile up until a year ago, and she had to switch to Sprint because her cell phone didn't work in our apartment (114 & Broadway, which is right at the corner of Columbia's campus).

If I were you, I would try to bring it with me and try on the service for a few months (since your phone is unlocked, you can get a service plan without a contract).  But after that if it doesn't work, then you may need to switch.  However, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use an unlocked iPhone 5 with AT&T without a contract - AT&T also uses a microSIM card, and I think Sprint does, too.

OUTDOORSY PEOPLE: how do you like living in NYC? My partner and I bike a lot—road cycling and bike touring are big parts of our lives, and so is rock climbing. I love NY and have friends there that are hip to the big bike culture there, but I am wondering how I would do studying there for 5+ years. Aside from Central Park and the expensive climbing gym in Chelsea.. would it be easy to get away to less populated/woodsy areas to do such activities easily (and perhaps, without a car?). I'm mainly trying to gauge if I would be able to live in a hyper-urban area and still get my fix. I'm from a major city on the West Coast, so I'm used to the city and like it—but I feel like NYC is another animal.

My friends and I go as far as Vermont for hiking or Maine. 

From Waterbury's Green Mountain Club, to several Bicycle Tours, Vermont definitely has what you seek -- biking, hiking, and rock climbing!

Without a car, the Megabus may be your best bet to get here -- there's a route between NYC and Burlington, VT. The end stop is University of Vermont, which is walking distance of downtown.

A much lengthier trip, there is also the Amtrak Vermonter from NYC, which stops at various towns in Vermont. (Not in Burlington, VT). Traveling through New York to Rutland, VT, the Amtrak Ethan Allen Express might be helpful to you, as well. I believe that Rutland is also the office site for Green Mountain National Forest.

Also, airlines. JetBlue flies a few flights a day between JFK and BTV

For lower cost lodging or ride shares, check out Airbnb, Couchsurfing, and Craigslist Vermont.

In any event, I grew up in the Green Mountain State, and I have lived in Maine. Let me know if I can be more specific.
Edited by ArtHistoryandMuseum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OUTDOORSY PEOPLE: how do you like living in NYC? My partner and I bike a lot—road cycling and bike touring are big parts of our lives, and so is rock climbing. I love NY and have friends there that are hip to the big bike culture there, but I am wondering how I would do studying there for 5+ years. Aside from Central Park and the expensive climbing gym in Chelsea.. would it be easy to get away to less populated/woodsy areas to do such activities easily (and perhaps, without a car?). I'm mainly trying to gauge if I would be able to live in a hyper-urban area and still get my fix. I'm from a major city on the West Coast, so I'm used to the city and like it—but I feel like NYC is another animal.

Me and my SO just got an apartment in Inwood at the northern tip of Manhattan, which is next door to the only old growth forest in the city. I've read that there are bike trails in and around the park and that it's good for gentle hiking, but it's as yet untested by me.

• 3 weeks later...

Me and my SO just got an apartment in Inwood at the northern tip of Manhattan, which is next door to the only old growth forest in the city. I've read that there are bike trails in and around the park and that it's good for gentle hiking, but it's as yet untested by me.

I like Inwood, but based on what my friends in the neighborhood say, I wouldn't recommend you go into the park after dark.

^Definitely agree with the above.  Actually, that goes for all of the parks in New York, with the exception of the very small Union Square Park and Washington Square Park, and that's because they are well-lit and you can see into them from all directions outside the park.

I just got into my safety school (Icahn School, Mt Sinai) and I'm waiting on my top choice, Columbia. There's about an 80% chance I will end up in NY. Where can I live? Preferably in a way so I can still afford food.

Edit. My budget is approximately $800-$1200 for myself. I don't know if this is a reasonable estimate for NY, but I'm from SF and this price range is what I'm used to.

Edited by 123hardasABC

^Definitely agree with the above.  Actually, that goes for all of the parks in New York, with the exception of the very small Union Square Park and Washington Square Park, and that's because they are well-lit and you can see into them from all directions outside the park.

Nope, not even. No park is 'well-lit' , with 5.5 gigawatt lightbuls, it still wouldn't be safe, women still get attacked in these parks. Avoid parks at all costs in the wee hours of the night. 

I live in Washington Heights, northern manhattan, pretty affordable. We are within walking distance of the Cloisters park which is gorgeous and full of beautiful hiking trails. I work in midtown and I frequently walk through central park on the way home. there's no reason an outdoorsy person shouldn't be able to satisfy themselves in NYC.

Is there an average range for broker's fees? I'm definitely trying to avoid them period but I noticed some apartment listings have them but no $ amount. And what's the deal with guarantors? Do most landlords require a guarantor if you're a student? What if you're willing to pay 6 months in advance or something along those lines... I think I'm stressing myself out needlessly but apartment hunting in New York is already way more complicated than I thought it'd be...

Edited by excusemyfrench

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in both Union Square Park and Washington Square Park at night, and I am a woman.  While I wouldn't make a habit of it or go down there with the intention of being outside, the lighting and atmosphere in those parks is very different from, say, Central Park or Morningside Park.   I don't even like going in Morningside Park during the day.

As for broker's fees, they are usually around 12% of the yearly rent.  Some brokers charge more but that's mostly in the high-end apartment buildings.

I would say that most landlords are going to want a guarantor if you make below a certain amount, which students are likely to do.  Yes, there are some landlords who will be willing to waive the guarantor requirement if you pay a larger security deposit or a larger amount of months in advance.  Others will still want the guarantor.  It just really depends on the landlord and how desperate they are to get people in their apartments, especially given the neighborhood.  The lower-income neighborhoods' landlords tend to have more students and in my experience tend to be a little more flexible.

It feels complicated, but you have to break it down in little steps and relax about it.  Most universities have an off-campus housing office that can offer some listings or assistance finding an apartment - that's how we found our first one, and the landlord was used to working with students, so my offer letter sufficed as proof of future income.  Some of the ones nearby the universities also accept financial aid award letters.  Really, it's so much easier when you are on the ground in the city - you really have to see the places because New York landlords use exaggerated and borderline dishonest language to advertise some of their places.  That's why I started recommending to students (especially those who will be here long-term) to see if they can find a short-term sublet for several weeks or even months before looking to find a longer-term place to stay and sign a lease.

I've been in both Union Square Park and Washington Square Park at night, and I am a woman.  While I wouldn't make a habit of it or go down there with the intention of being outside, the lighting and atmosphere in those parks is very different from, say, Central Park or Morningside Park.   I don't even like going in Morningside Park during the day.

As for broker's fees, they are usually around 12% of the yearly rent.  Some brokers charge more but that's mostly in the high-end apartment buildings.

I would say that most landlords are going to want a guarantor if you make below a certain amount, which students are likely to do.  Yes, there are some landlords who will be willing to waive the guarantor requirement if you pay a larger security deposit or a larger amount of months in advance.  Others will still want the guarantor.  It just really depends on the landlord and how desperate they are to get people in their apartments, especially given the neighborhood.  The lower-income neighborhoods' landlords tend to have more students and in my experience tend to be a little more flexible.

It feels complicated, but you have to break it down in little steps and relax about it.  Most universities have an off-campus housing office that can offer some listings or assistance finding an apartment - that's how we found our first one, and the landlord was used to working with students, so my offer letter sufficed as proof of future income.  Some of the ones nearby the universities also accept financial aid award letters.  Really, it's so much easier when you are on the ground in the city - you really have to see the places because New York landlords use exaggerated and borderline dishonest language to advertise some of their places.  That's why I started recommending to students (especially those who will be here long-term) to see if they can find a short-term sublet for several weeks or even months before looking to find a longer-term place to stay and sign a lease.

Thanks for this info! Regarding short-term stays, have you or anyone else heard of Educational Housing Services or Pink Dorms? They offer dorm set ups for temporary stays. I'm wondering if they're legit/worth the $$.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what the best grad schools are for Physics in NY? I'm looking for a place with great research provisions, and a place I can afford. My GPA isn't outstanding but it's fairly good, in the 7.5 to 8.5 area.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got accepted to NYU on a $26k stipend. I would like to be able to live by myself - seems I'm looking at about $1100+ per month for a 1 bedroom place in Brooklyn, is that about right? Will I be able to exist on the remaining $1000/month for everything else (food, commuting, leisure, utilities if they're not included, etc), including the odd flight home to London? I assume living costs are fairly comparable to what I'm dealing with in London right now. Finances in NY are pretty critical to whether I opt for NYU or UChicago, since Chi-town is so much cheaper and offering a slightly higher stipend...

I am in a similar position. I've been accepted to both NYU (full funding + external funding of $1700) and Imperial College London (only external funding of £1700).  I should be probably just fine in NYC, but I am worried about London, mainly because I would prefer go to Imperial under normal conditions but these financial matters are killing me.

I am a current graduate student at NYU and I have lived in Brooklyn for 2 years.  I currently occupy a small one bedroom in an outskirts-neighborhood, and my $1200 rent is considered a steal!  I would budget at least $1500/month especially when you factor in the brokers fee which is very hard to avoid paying.  One bedrooms in "nice" areas like Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights will run you over $2000/month :-(

My utilities (electric, hot water, internet) average $150/month and I am lucky to have my heat included - which is not always the case.

Luckily, I split the expenses with my significant other - otherwise it would be very tough. I only know one one graduate student who lives in NYC without a roommate, even with NYU's MacCracken.  But that doesn't mean it's impossible!  And I know that there are many European cities where the cost of living is higher.

Best wishes to everyone!

Edited by rp7242

Perhaps it's just being easily misled on the internet: but with the variety of apartment/roommate/share finding websites available, I've seen a variety of places from $900-$1,300ish for single rooms/one bedrooms/studios in Manhattan. Some of these places say they have all utilities incl. (i.e. $1,000 for a studio + utilities). A lot are in Harlem/Morningside heights but I adored East Harlem/uptown. 

My big concern is hunting for these places again in august/visiting them in person. On campus housing at the place I'm looking at is $16,220/yr or roughly $1,351 a month for a studio or $16,060 / $1,338 for a private room but shared living room. Not sure if that's worth it (for utilities and furnishings) for moving to the city, as opposed to trying to find cheaper digs on my own. 

Thoughts? Is it perhaps better to shell out the cash for at least the first year so I can hunt for apartments on the ground? I'm thinking that in the long run it looks cheaper to move into someplace already furnished. 

Don't know anything about student housing around here unfortunately, but anything under 1500$ for a one bed you should be skeptical of. There will be other detracting factors like distance, location, etc. etc. Also, apartment hunting in NYC without living here is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. Most of the things you're looking at will be snapped up very quickly. I've been lucky in that I knew the pre-existing roommate in each of the places I've lived in, but my current roommate says there's no point in even bothering more than two weeks out. Also, keep in mind that when they say 1500$ (or whatever), they are expecting you to hand them as much as 4500$ before you move in (that's first, last & deposit with no broker's fee).

I don't know if you can do student housing one term at a time, but I would recommend it unless you can come out here and scout for apartments for a few weeks before the term starts. Otherwise you will have all the stress of apartment hunting/settling/etc on top of all the stress of starting a new degree program at a new school in a new place. Also, student housing will have a lot more amenities than an equivalently priced apartment.

If you absolutely can't stand the thought of student housing, I recommend having at least one roommate. Every person you add to your apartment is a significant decrease in the rent and utilities you have to pay. I make about 1200$/mo and I live in a two bedroom with my boyfriend and another couple. We live in Washington Heights, our rent just went up and I'm really barely making ends meet. Keep in mind that food can be stupidly expensive here too, especially if you don't like cooking.

Also add this to your budget: MetroCards are 30$ for weekly unlimited or 120$ for monthly. Set that money aside right now because you will always need it.

I just got accepted to NYU on a $26k stipend. I would like to be able to live by myself - seems I'm looking at about $1100+ per month for a 1 bedroom place in Brooklyn, is that about right? Will I be able to exist on the remaining $1000/month for everything else (food, commuting, leisure, utilities if they're not included, etc), including the odd flight home to London? I assume living costs are fairly comparable to what I'm dealing with in London right now. Finances in NY are pretty critical to whether I opt for NYU or UChicago, since Chi-town is so much cheaper and offering a slightly higher stipend...

1000$ per month after rent? welllllll

~120$/mo on metro card (fixed amount)

~250$/mo on food (slightly more than I spend between my boyfriend and I, but we always go over)

~100$/mo on various utilities (depending on what your apartment is like)

~100$/mo on phone (my phone bill with an iPhone on Verizon)

??? -- health insurance (depends on you)

??? -- fun money (bars, eating out, etc.)

??? -- previous student loan bills?

So I'd say it may be manageable, it depends on how tightly you control your finances. If you eat out a lot, your food bill will be way higher than that. That is my very strict allowance and I only eat out about once a week and then it's usually under 10$. I usually buy the 30$ weekly metrocard but it ends up being the same cost. If you only go directly to class once every weekday and then directly back you can save 5$, but you literally can't go anywhere else. Your utilities may be less than that, or they may be a lot more. Basically, you will almost certainly not be flying home to London every month. I can tell you I barely afford to get to Michigan (about 10hrs away by car) once a year.

Also 1100$ for a one bedroom is really low. See previous post.

HOWEVER. If you were to take that same budget and live in a two-bedroom with a roommate, get your rent down to somewhere between 700 and 900/mo... You could be fairly comfortable here on that income.

Edited by roguesenna

That's useful info. Very different to my current budget (£11/month for an iPhone contract over here...and max £20/month on travel). Looks fairly dire, and since I don't know anyone in NY it would almost certainly be grad student housing as the best option. Which would be fine, except it looks as if NYU expect grad student to SHARE a studio, and I can't find prices for that anyway :/ I thought London was expensive...