New York, NY

Figured I'd pop in and offer an alternative to living within the city limits, especially if you are headed to Columbia: Westchester! I did my undergrad in Bronxville and commuted to lower Manhattan 2-3 days a week. It was an easy (35-40 minutes) trip and sometimes I made it multiple times a day...Metronorth is reliable and their monthly passes are fantastic. Places like Yonkers and Mount Vernon are CHEAP and some neighborhoods are very family oriented. I live in the West Village right now, but I long for the days of lower rent, even if it meant a little bit of a hike...

In Bronxville, living in the little village part was easy even without a car. A quick Craigslist search reveals a recently updated 2 bedroom for about $1850, which is pretty much an impossibility in NYC and most of Brooklyn...

Figured I'd pop in and offer an alternative to living within the city limits, especially if you are headed to Columbia: Westchester! I did my undergrad in Bronxville and commuted to lower Manhattan 2-3 days a week. It was an easy (35-40 minutes) trip and sometimes I made it multiple times a day...Metronorth is reliable and their monthly passes are fantastic. Places like Yonkers and Mount Vernon are CHEAP and some neighborhoods are very family oriented. I live in the West Village right now, but I long for the days of lower rent, even if it meant a little bit of a hike...

In Bronxville, living in the little village part was easy even without a car. A quick Craigslist search reveals a recently updated 2 bedroom for about $1850, which is pretty much an impossibility in NYC and most of Brooklyn...

Wow!!! Thank you so much for your post! That's exactly what I have been looking for. I did not know about Mount Vernon and Westchester, but I am loving what I am seeing so far.

Wow!!! Thank you so much for your post! That's exactly what I have been looking for. I did not know about Mount Vernon and Westchester, but I am loving what I am seeing so far.

FYI - If you have a car, it will make the search even easier...a good friend of mine lived in a massive 2 bedroom for about $1500 in Mount Vernon for a long time, but she needed a car to get around.

For those who've lived in NYC before, here's a more fun question for you:

What would you say are five (or how many ever) "must see/must do" events/festivals/restaurants/museums/anything that someone should partake in, during their time living in the city?

Awesome question!

Must do: Sleep No More (if it is still playing when you get here), Summerstage in Central Park, Celebrate Brooklyn in Prospect Park, open studio weekend in Dumbo/Dumbo Art Festival, the Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governors Island

Must eat: Blue Ribbon Brasserie, Blue Hill at Stone Barn (!!!!!!!), Vanessa's Dumpling House, Momofuku Noodle Bar for fried chicken, Northern Spy Food Co. (especially if you get a booth, or are in for brunch), Peels on the Bowery (also for brunch!), The Beagle, Manhattan Inn (in Brooklyn), Five Leaves

Must drink: The Clover Club, 128 Black Rabbit Club, The Sly Fox, Brooklyn Winery, Mayahuel (mezcal and tequila, specifically),

An awesome "New to NYC" day -- head to Peels for brunch on a Saturday, then walk up the Bowery a little to see the New Museum of Modern Art. Check out the roof deck, then grab a juice at Great Jones Spa and explore the shops and other galleries in the neighborhood. End the day with wine, cheese and salume at Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria, also on Great Jones.

Hey all, I've been admitted to a fully-funded PhD program at Columbia. This is great news; however, I have a little one ~12 mo old. Does anyone know anything about childcare in the city? I found some day cares near Columbia campus, but does anyone have experience raising kids in NYC? Any tips for finding a nanny, affordable child care, mother's day out, etc. would be much appreciated!

Hey all! I'm starting to consider NYU a lot more seriously after my visit, but living in NYC on a stipend is my biggest concern. My fellowship is ~$24k for nine months, but I may have to make that stretch over the first couple summers as well. I'm most worried about proving to a landlord that I make 40x the monthly rent annually. Even with the most generous calculations that factor in provided health insurance and a $2,000 first year start up grant, the most I could technically "afford" to pay for rent is about $700 a month, which I imagine will be damn near impossible to come by in NYC. The good news is, I will probably be moving out with a good friend and her significant other, meaning we can split a 2BR apartment three ways. But I don't know if either of them will be able to find jobs before they get there or have a way to prove sufficient income either. Any advice?? How strictly do landlords/brokers stick to the 40x rule?

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the 40x rule. I live in a three bedroom with two roommates. My landlord is really chill. We pay our rent on time; we're respectable. He doesn't care how much money we make as long as he gets his rent at the first of the month. I also live in Brooklyn, where finding an apartment is still a pain in the ass, but people are a little more flexible. A lot of the brownstones are owned by individuals who rent out the units themselves. In Manhattan, on the other hand, a lot of buildings are owned by large management companies who are way more strict about income limits, etc. Look around Craigslist for a share, which is how I found my current apartment, and which I've lived in for two years with the same people. I think I got really lucky though. When I first moved here, I lived on Thompson near NYU in a building run by a management company. I needed a guarantor; I fortunately could use my parents, but I hated the building and the location. Plus, it was ridiculously expensive.

I would recommend living in Park Slope, which is where I live now, near Atlantic/Pacific. You can find some good/affordable places, and it's about 15-20 minutes from NYU. For $700 though, you may have to live farther out. I knew some people who lived in South Slope/Windsor Terrace. I have the warn you, however, the F Train is a bitch. Good luck with your search. If you have any questions about locations, don't hesitate to ask.

"South Slope", Jesus, I remember when my great-grandmother lived down there in what we all called "South Brooklyn" in a tenement on 4th avenue by the Prospect. She was one of the few Italians left down there, it was a hellhole. Those same places probably rent for 3 grand a month now!

I concur that for around $1500 (assuming the married friends kick in an extra 100 or so) they should look elsewhere, but if OP is going to be at NYU she may as well go to Bayonne and take PATH in, they'll get more for their money and be just as close via PT. I hear of some of the ghettos newcomers are going to like Bushwick, because they can't afford the Slope or Willamsburg or just about anywhere in the city, and I shudder.

Thanks for the advice! I was looking at Park Slope already, but I'm not sure about other safe/cheap areas. Any specific places I should avoid?

I supposed I should have mentioned that rent would be split three ways, so ideally I'd be looking for a 2BR for around $2100, maybe cheaper depending on what kind of job my friend and her boyfriend find. I was already assuming that I'd have to live in Brooklyn, but as long as I can commute to NYU in a reasonable time, distance isn't much of a problem.

Edited by papillon_pourpre

I just moved out of the Slope recently--4th and 12th, so the "new" Slope--but now rents are back to what they were in 2007, if not more. LUCKILY, the Atlantic Yards project is driving people out of what used to be prime Park Slope, like 5th and Bergen or President, so there are a lot of affordable places up that way. It's even closer to the Target, which for some people is awesome. But beware, a lot of construction (and an eventual arena) is why vacancies are popping up in what used to be a very desirable neighborhood. South Slope is getting a lot more attention.

The F train can be unreliable. It can go months with no service on the weekends. But it does stop at W4th, which is a prime NYU spot.

I LOVE Padmapper for checking out apartments. It is nice to see things on an actual map to give you an idea of transport and actual location. A lot of Craigslist ads say "Williamsburg" or "Park Slope" but really mean Bushwick (ICK) or deep Gowanus.

Have you looked at the UWS? It can be a lot more inexpensive than the nice parts of Brooklyn.

Edited by pomo

Also, some parts of Fort Green and Greenpoint are adorable and still affordable. Just beware the G train. Fort Green is right by Pratt.

Does anyone have any advice on housing for a student at NYU's Institute of Fine Arts? It's on East 78th St right across from the park. I imagine that the Upper East Side is way, way out of my budget--are there any options there that wouldn't have me living too far away?

Does anyone have any advice on housing for a student at NYU's Institute of Fine Arts? It's on East 78th St right across from the park. I imagine that the Upper East Side is way, way out of my budget--are there any options there that wouldn't have me living too far away?

Actually, the UES can be super affordable compared to downtown and Brooklyn. If you go further into the 90's and 100's, you can see 1 bedrooms for around $1500...I'm sure having roommates can make it even better. Try Padmapper.

Helping people with this stuff is really good for keeping my mind off the rest of my notifications :)

Actually, the UES can be super affordable compared to downtown and Brooklyn. If you go further into the 90's and 100's, you can see 1 bedrooms for around $1500...I'm sure having roommates can make it even better. Try Padmapper.

Wow! I would never have expected that. (Thanks to TV and the movies, I guess... heh.) Is that still the UES, or a different neighbourhood altogether?

I will definitely check out padmapper!

Wow! I would never have expected that. (Thanks to TV and the movies, I guess... heh.) Is that still the UES, or a different neighbourhood altogether?

I will definitely check out padmapper!

It's technically still the UES, you're just not living in a crazy brownstone or new luxury building. A lot of my friends (I've been here since '04) have been priced out of downtown and Brooklyn and have ended up there! Same with the UWS...

After 96th it isn't technically the UES, but it's close enough. A while back the South Bronx was totally hip--"SoBro"--and people were moving there because it was cheap! This is a weird town!

I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that the UWS could be cheap. I was looking at Brooklyn for NYU, but the rent in the decent neighborhoods is almost the same as Manhattan! For that price and if I'm going to have to commute anyway, I'd much rather live in the UWS!

What people were talking about is that certain places in parts of the Upper EAST Side (UES) are cheap, especially when they're not near the subway (or are near the 2nd Ave Subway construction). I think most of the Upper WEST Side (UWS) is still pretty expensive.

Cheap is being used as a relative term here. The UES is hardly cheap, but compared to let's say the Village or hipster Brooklyn, it is. Also as pomo alluded to, many of the cheaper locations are really in Spanish Harlem but the ever truthful realtors advertise them as UES.

So true -- I can't even believe what some brokers will call "Williamsburg" or "Park Slope." Anything affordable in Williamsburg is probably Bushwick, and in Park Slope it could be anything. But I think that truly, even nearer to the subway, that UES/UWS is starting to be more affordable for a young person than Downtown, including Chinatown and fringe LES, Alphabet City, etc...

If you have a bike, it's even easier to hang in a neighborhood that is a little further from a subway.

The truth is rents have just skyrocketed. If you are new to the city and are in a position to own, it might be worth a look if you're beginning a PhD.

Hi, I have been accepted to NYU Wagner but I'm really worried about the living costs in the city. I don't mind getting a roommate and a short commute (15-20 min), do you thing I could find something decent for less than $1000? How much do you thing I would need for everything else (utilities, food, personal expenses)? Finally, do you know which neighborhoods could work for me?

Hi, I have been accepted to NYU Wagner but I'm really worried about the living costs in the city. I don't mind getting a roommate and a short commute (15-20 min), do you thing I could find something decent for less than $1000? How much do you thing I would need for everything else (utilities, food, personal expenses)? Finally, do you know which neighborhoods could work for me?

15-20 minutes is walking distance. You really ought to expand your horizons if you want to come here (or any city like Boston, Chicago, LA, etc.)

$1000 on a share means a 2br for $2000 or 3br for $3000. You can check out padmapper but I think that's quite unlikely in the Village. In fact in today's Post there's an article with a graphic that states the average price of a 1br in the city is over $2600.

On the other hand if you drop the 15-20 minute requirement there are plenty of places a train ride away where you can get a 2br for under $2000. Assuming you want to do public transit, anywhere in Jersey along the PATH (like Hoboken) or HBLR will work (just stay out of the parts of Jersey City away from the water and Newark), in Brooklyn along the L train (but don't go too far as it gets seedy), the N/R train (e.g. Sunset Park and Bay Ridge). You can go up to Inwood too, it's affordable and you would get to NYU in under an hour. Where you want to go will depend on your sensibilities. Personally I find anywhere along the L now to be Hipster Hell - Dante's unwritten tenth circle. If you're into that scene though you might like it.

Edited by long_time_lurker

Where you want to go will depend on your sensibilities. Personally I find anywhere along the L now to be Hipster Hell - Dante's unwritten tenth circle. If you're into that scene though you might like it.

Not even -- the L is mostly pretty pricey now. Greenpoint, off the F, maybe you can find something cheap, but Williamsburg into Bushwick has gotten SO expensive!

Why do we live here again?

If you're considering Brooklyn and on a budget, what about Queens? I've lived in Astoria for the past couple years and although it's getting more expensive (and attractive to yupsters who've been priced out of Brooklyn), I find it super convenient and affordable by NY standards. Granted I work in midtown, so to get to NYU would be an extra 10 mins on the N train, but still not bad. If I worked downtown, I would totally still live here. It's a really safe, diverse neighborhood with tons of cheap food and Euro cafes.