New York, NY

You're in a great place to commute, with Purchase + all NYC schools. Or even New Paltz, if you'd prefer to avoid the traffic.

When I was at Dutchess Comm College one of my instructors was doing his MFA at Pratt, commuting down once a week from Rhinebeck - twice what your commuting distance would be. It can be done.

You've got plenty of choices within reach. It's just a matter of choosing which one(s) work best for you.

Thanks Fjac! I haven't been on here for a while because I've been crazy busy, but I found a place through rentjungle.com. I figured it was worth bringing this up so that anyone having trouble finding a place could benefit from Fjac's advice!

• 1 month later...

So I've heard that it provides free housing to students. Students going to most other colleges, meanwhile, have to pay for their own apartments.

So does this mean that students effectively end up with more spare money if they go to Columbia?

I know that the cost of living in NYC is generally higher - but part of that can be offset by Amazon Prime :D

Edited by InquilineKea

Wow, free housing would be sweet. In NYC, that would mean like 15,000 extra bucks in your pocket a year at least!

I don't think anybody gives you free housing.

Not free, but Columbia does own a lot of apartment housing in the area that they rent out to grad students and visiting faculty. You can't live free, but you can at least be close-ish to campus for a reasonable (for NYC) price.

Hey everyone!

Further to that, can you tell me a bit more about the campus and generally life in NYC? Is the campus safe? Is there plenty to do? Is it enough of a "bubble" if you need rest from the hustle-and-bustle of NYC? What is the library provision like (I suspect it is great, but still)? If you are being offered a stipend of $23,500 (along with the tuition, healthcare, subsidised housing), is that enough to live reasonably (i.e. not starve and have at least a semblance of a social life) in Manhattan?

Sorry for the so many questions! It is just that I cannot make it to the History day in March as it is so soon and tickets are over a grand (British pounds), while the university can reimburse up to $500 only. Just want to get a feel of the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was wondering whether anyone could comment on whether a $23000 stipend would be unreasonable to live on in NYC? I would obviously have to live somewhere aside from Manhattan, but given the cost of the rent alone, this seems a stretch.

I could probably supplement that 23K with some kind of TA or RA ship too, but can't confirm this...

It's not easy, but it can definitely be done. Depending on what NYC school you'll be attending, you'll want to look for housing in the outer boroughs that are most convenient to your campus. I personally live in the Bronx and pay something like $900 a month for a small one-bedroom in a good neighborhood with exceptional subway access. As I'm sure you know, you can't find anything in Manhattan in that price range unless you're willing to take on a roommate or two. Brooklyn and Queens will also be more expensive but nothing like Manhattan (but might be more convenient to your campus and certainly much "hipper" than the Bronx!). In any case, if it's at all convenient to you, I would strongly consider at least taking a look at the Bronx. People are scared of the name, but the nice areas of the borough are quite safe and money goes a long way here.

As for the money you'll have left over after rent, there won't be much, but it'll be enough to eat and go out for the occasional grad student bender. You'll need to budget about $100 a month for a MetroCard, but that completely takes care of your transportation costs in the city. Just like anyplace else, the key is finding ways to stretch your dollar, i.e. cheapish grocery stores, lunch specials, drink specials, free entertainment. The one thing I would absolutely recommend against is pushing yourself to the top of your rent range. I know lots of people who insisted on living in Manhattan and now pay far too much for rent and are constantly broke. What good is a cool apartment in the city if you never leave it because you have no money?

Hello all,

I was wondering whether anyone could comment on whether a $23000 stipend would be unreasonable to live on in NYC? I would obviously have to live somewhere aside from Manhattan, but given the cost of the rent alone, this seems a stretch.

I could probably supplement that 23K with some kind of TA or RA ship too, but can't confirm this...

I have not read every post in this, but I get the sense most people are worried about money. On living cheaply in NYC, I'm an expert. I've been here four years, spending anywhere from 8k-12k a year. So yes, that 23k stipend, it's more than enough.

If you feel you must live in Manhattan, it's possible. Morningside/Indwood for Columbia, or Alphabet City for NYU ofer the chance to spend $600-$700 a month for a shared place. But we're talking tiny rooms, tiny kitchens, tiny bathrooms, most likely.

So live in Brooklyn or Queens! In Queens check out Sunnyside....it's close to the city, and I have a few friends who really like it there. In Brooklyn, you have three general options for cheap rent: Bushwick, Bed Stuy and Sunset Park. Of the three, I'm partial to Bed Stuy. Don't let anyone tell you it's dangerous, it's not. People still raise their eyebrows about it because it has a past, and there are *gasp* mostly black people here. Anyway, I live in a great old brownstone, have a huge room, wood floors, large windows, my own bathroom, huge closets, and I pay $440 month, including all utilities. I have several friends in the area, and the most anyone I know pays is $550, and they have two rooms. Bushwick can also be cheap, especially around the Halsey L stop, but it has less of neighborhood feel and less trees than Bed Stuy does. A lot of Bushwick is somewhat industrial, which I personally don't really like for a place to live. Sunset Park is a cool neighborhood, and can get to Union Square in 30 minutes. There is a huge park, lots of Latino restaurants and it's the location of Brooklyn's Chinatown. The only downside is with the trains it's hard to get around to other parts of Brooklyn.

Food & Drink: There is more cheap food available in New York than any other city I've lived. Yeah, you can spend a lot, but there is no need. I don't know where to start with all the options available. Chinatown is affordable pretty much across the board, Koreatown in Midtown is a bit more but no that much. Bushwick has countless great and cheap Latino places, around St. Marks there are several cheap Japanese places with $8 pitchers of beer to boot. You can still get a 99 cent slice of pizza in different parts of the city, albeit not top quality. Anyhow, for groceries C-Town, Key Foods, Food Bazaar, etc...lots of big box discount places. As far as cheap bars, there are countless, just look on Yelp. Lots of places in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Alphabet City, East Village.

Transportation: The subway is expensive, and it keeps going up...it's over $100a month. Not sure exactly, since I don't use it. If you are new to the city, it's a good way to start, but seriously consider a bike. The city has expanded the bike lanes considerably in the last 4 years, and biking is almost always faster than the trains. Really. Plus then you don't need to spend money on a gym membership.

Entertainment/Culture: Fat Cat in the West Village has live jazz every night for just a $3-$5 cover, NYU and Columbia students get discounts at the Metropolitan Opera, and pretty much every museum in the city has a day or night where it's free admission or pay as you wish....and the MET and Brooklyn Museum are always pay as you wish.

Honestly, this is a really easy to live cheaply. NYC has an expensive reputation because there are some extremely rich people here who spend tons of money, but remember there are also a lot of poor people who call this city home.

Edited by TransnationalHistory

Was offered full funding for 5 years, but I'm not sure what is a reasonable stipend to live in Manhattan/Brooklyn. $18000-$20000? Any thoughts?

Edit: The above reply clarified most of my question. Thanks Transnational.

Edited by VernalEq

What are some good and cheap, but still safe hotels close to Columbia? Also what is a good place to eat near campus?

Not really sure, but try Queens. Long Island City is really a fairly reasonable train ride away, and is an interesting neighborhood in it's own right. You might have better luck finding something cheap there.

I just got accepted into CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. I'm yet to hear from them about funding, but I'm an international student -- from India -- so I doubt I'll get all that much funding. The college campus is located at Times Square, fifth avenue, and I was wondering, where should I look for apartments that are both cheap and not too far from the campus? I'm looking for something that's a 45 minute commute (or less) away.

I have been admitted to a Graduate School where they offer a catastrophic care plan to me (for a charge) but say that this should be supplemented with other health insurance. I am from the UK and have no idea as to how much this might cost. I dont have any underlying health conditions, but I have absolutely no idea as to how much this would cost me in NYC. Can anyone help??? Thanks, much appreciated.

I have been admitted to a Graduate School where they offer a catastrophic care plan to me (for a charge) but say that this should be supplemented with other health insurance. I am from the UK and have no idea as to how much this might cost. I dont have any underlying health conditions, but I have absolutely no idea as to how much this would cost me in NYC. Can anyone help??? Thanks, much appreciated.

Depending on how much your stipend is (or if you're getting one, you don't say) you might be able to qualify as "self-pay" at Belleveu Hospital. I currently do, and I only pay $20 for every visit, no matter how much the total cost is.

Depending on how much your stipend is (or if you're getting one, you don't say) you might be able to qualify as "self-pay" at Belleveu Hospital. I currently do, and I only pay $20 for every visit, no matter how much the total cost is.

Wow, looks really good. My stipend will be $17,000 with campus employment of $2500. I am being given free accommodation and tuition (dont know if that will count as income or not). I am not a US citizen though, so I dont know about how that'd work. It looks really promising though, thank you so much.

Wow, looks really good. My stipend will be $17,000 with campus employment of $2500. I am being given free accommodation and tuition (dont know if that will count as income or not). I am not a US citizen though, so I dont know about how that'd work. It looks really promising though, thank you so much.

You might qualify...can't hurt to try. I qualified when I was making close to that amount. I'm not sure about the international bit, I did have to give them a social security number. But maybe your green card number would work too.

I've been accepted into NYU's Neuroscience programme. Having not been to NYC before, I figure it's going to be much easier (at least in the first year) to just start off in one of the Med school grad residences. I'm keen to share with 1-2 people and from last year's rents, the stipend should be plenty to cover my costs.

I was wondering if anyone has stayed in any of those or know of anyone who has? How horrible/good are they, and are there specific ones which are great or should be avoided?

Any insight would be appreciated! :)

I almost wish I wasn't half way across the world... that would make sorting everything out so much easier!

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted at Columbia for my PhD and am thinking of going to their graduate housing (at least in the first 1-2 years). Can anyone comment on how good/bad is Columbia graduate housing? It has the huge advantage of being rather cheap (in NYC terms) and very close to the campus.

I just got accepted to a program at the New School and am wondering if anyone has ever lived in their grad residence (the one on William St is indicated on their website). Being that I'm currently abroad, coming into town to apartment hunt is next to impossible and hunting via internet is just sketchy.

Thanks

I've been housesitting a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house for the past year 1/2 so the thought of paying high rent for an egg carton makes me twitch. I'm somewhat familiar with the city. But the cost of rent is still staggering.

I've been looking all over, including Brighton Beach (yes I know it's far from Manhattan but who cares, I'm from Miami and commute a total of 4 hours daily...), Flatbush, etc.

Thoughts?

What's the journalism school like?

I was accepted to NYU with a monthly stipend of about $2600. I'll be looking at getting a part-time job/TAship/assistantship on top of that, so hopefully there would be a little extra income, but let's just assume there won't be.

Would living in Manhattan be doable on this? I'll be looking at renting a room from someone, not getting a whole place to myself.

I was accepted to NYU with a monthly stipend of about $2600. I'll be looking at getting a part-time job/TAship/assistantship on top of that, so hopefully there would be a little extra income, but let's just assume there won't be.

Would living in Manhattan be doable on this? I'll be looking at renting a room from someone, not getting a whole place to myself.

We should talk offline. I have a friend up there scouting apartments all over the place. 4 to a place is better than 3 (I'm moving in with a partner). Msg me if you'd like.