New York, NY

I live on Long Island now and I am choosing between Hunter and Columbia. Right now, I have to make a 1 hour trip from my town to Penn Station, and then take a 20-40 minute subway ride to get to either school. I am looking for neighborhoods to move into where my commute would be less than 1 hour. Living in Manhattan would be great, but the average rent prices are more than I want to pay, so I think I'm primarily looking at Queens and Brooklyn. Does anyone have specific examples of neighborhoods that would have a commute less than 1 hour to either Hunter or Columbia? I'm looking for "good" neighborhoods... I know "bad" neighborhoods can be cheaper, but as a young female who will be living alone, safety is important. Any ideas?

As you probably know, Hunter and Columbia are on opposite sides of the city, so where you'll want to live will be totally dependent upon which you choose. The most important thing is going to be picking a neighborhood that allows you to get to the general neighborhood with a minimum of transfers. If you're going to be at Hunter, I'd suggest looking in Long Island City, Queens. It's cheap and a very quick commute to Midtown. The E/V will take you from Ely Ave/Court Square in LIC to 51st and Lex in 1 stop (you can transfer to the 6 up to the Hunter stop at 68th, or just walk) and the 7 train Court Square station is about 3 stops from Grand Central. If you're looking in Brooklyn, I'd try to find somewhere near the L train, which goes to Union Square. Williamsburg is the obvious choice, but it's going to be relatively expensive compared to other parts of Brooklyn (still cheaper than most of Manhattan, though.) I know you said you're most interested in Brooklyn and Queens, but if you wind up at Columbia, you might want to consider the Bronx -- the Riverdale section is very safe, mostly families and Orthodox Jews, and it'll be a much quicker commute.

As you probably know, Hunter and Columbia are on opposite sides of the city, so where you'll want to live will be totally dependent upon which you choose. The most important thing is going to be picking a neighborhood that allows you to get to the general neighborhood with a minimum of transfers. If you're going to be at Hunter, I'd suggest looking in Long Island City, Queens. It's cheap and a very quick commute to Midtown. The E/V will take you from Ely Ave/Court Square in LIC to 51st and Lex in 1 stop (you can transfer to the 6 up to the Hunter stop at 68th, or just walk) and the 7 train Court Square station is about 3 stops from Grand Central. If you're looking in Brooklyn, I'd try to find somewhere near the L train, which goes to Union Square. Williamsburg is the obvious choice, but it's going to be relatively expensive compared to other parts of Brooklyn (still cheaper than most of Manhattan, though.) I know you said you're most interested in Brooklyn and Queens, but if you wind up at Columbia, you might want to consider the Bronx -- the Riverdale section is very safe, mostly families and Orthodox Jews, and it'll be a much quicker commute.

Am I right in assuming that it's also a good idea to find housing in LIC, Queens, or Williamsburg, Brooklyn, if I'm going to CUNY School of Journalism in Midtown West (219 West 40th Street)?

Also, about the L train, how many stops does it take to get from Williamsburg to Union Square? How long does each stop take approximately?

Last question, what are the other recommended train lines going into the Midtown West area?

Thanks so much!

Am I right in assuming that it's also a good idea to find housing in LIC, Queens, or Williamsburg, Brooklyn, if I'm going to CUNY School of Journalism in Midtown West (219 West 40th Street)?

Also, about the L train, how many stops does it take to get from Williamsburg to Union Square? How long does each stop take approximately?

Last question, what are the other recommended train lines going into the Midtown West area?

Thanks so much!

Midtown is pretty accessible from most parts of the city because it's centrally located (hence the name) and it's also one of the only parts of the city where you can get crosstown by subway with relative ease (both the E and V go East-West at 51st street and the 7 goes between Grand Central and Times Square at 42nd.) If you're going to be in Midtown, you can basically live anywhere in the city. LIC is a good and cheap option for commuting to Midtown, to be sure -- as I said in my other post, the E, V, and 7 will all get you to Manhattan in 1-3 stops. It definitely won't have the same cool vibe as many neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but I've noticed a lot more young people around lately. It's particularly popular with artists because there's cheap industrial studio-type space available, and there are a bunch of galleries/non profit art galleries in the area (PS1 and Sculpture Center, most notably.) However, there are a lot of areas of Brooklyn that are cheap, accessible, and much more interesting. If commuting time is your primary concern, Queens is probably more convenient, but Brooklyn is likely better for social life and general atmosphere. Honestly, I live in Manhattan, so I'm not an expert on the outer boroughs, but New York magazine's website (nymag.com) and Curbed.com (a real estate blog) have tons of local information for each area if you search around.

Also, a great site to check out for subway routes and commuting info is hopstop.com -- type in any 2 addresses and it'll show you the available routes and approximate travel time.

If you're

I am attending the New School in the fall and am super excited, but I am nervous too. Anyone else going there?

Also, is it difficult to make friends in NYC?

I'm (probably) going! At least, I've already sent in my deposit, but am still agonizing over whether it's the best final decision or not. Chances are probably >90% that I'll be there, though.

As for making friends, I feel like NYC is probably not so different from anyplace else: you'll make friends in your school, and eventually find some kind of niche in your community when you start participating in activities you enjoy. I haven't lived there in several years (and even then I was only there for 3-4 months) but that seems to be the way things go in most places :)

Hi everyone-

I'm writing (well, blogging) about my experience preparing to move to NY here: http://newyorkophile.com/.

My husband will be going to The New School for Social Research & next year (depending on how career plans go) I'll be applying to a couple CUNY programs.

For me the most nerve racking thing is waiting to apartment search. We want (NEED) a sublet for July & Aug. There's nothing up on Craigslist, etc, yet & friends & brokers advise not even to search til June. I'm coming from a college town where all the good apartments are signed by Apr/May @ the latest for an Aug 1 move-in. Have to sublet site unseen (have cats so hostel/hotel not an option), so that & the $$$ is stress enough. Not having anything lined up yet? Ahhh, going crazy! ;):)

Hi everyone-

I'm writing (well, blogging) about my experience preparing to move to NY here: http://newyorkophile.com/.

My husband will be going to The New School for Social Research & next year (depending on how career plans go) I'll be applying to a couple CUNY programs.

For me the most nerve racking thing is waiting to apartment search. We want (NEED) a sublet for July & Aug. There's nothing up on Craigslist, etc, yet & friends & brokers advise not even to search til June. I'm coming from a college town where all the good apartments are signed by Apr/May @ the latest for an Aug 1 move-in. Have to sublet site unseen (have cats so hostel/hotel not an option), so that & the $$$ is stress enough. Not having anything lined up yet? Ahhh, going crazy! ;):)

my family is in the same position as you. it's definitely stressful. We'll be truckin our stuff across country, hoping we can line something up quickly. Otherwise it's a storage unit for the stuff and a short-term rental for us. Fortunately my parents are watching my kids during this time.

Hi everyone-

For me the most nerve racking thing is waiting to apartment search. We want (NEED) a sublet for July & Aug. There's nothing up on Craigslist, etc, yet & friends & brokers advise not even to search til June. I'm coming from a college town where all the good apartments are signed by Apr/May @ the latest for an Aug 1 move-in. Have to sublet site unseen (have cats so hostel/hotel not an option), so that & the $ is stress enough. Not having anything lined up yet? Ahhh, going crazy! ;):)

Just got accepted to the New School for International Affairs (MA). Definitely nerve racking. Let me know if you find out any good resources and I'll do the same. Now that I've gotten in, it feels like I've traded one horrible anxiety for another!!

P.S. I'll be moving with my boyfriend and 3 cats, it looks like we are in similar boats.

Edited by msgirl23

I am attending the New School in the fall and am super excited, but I am nervous too. Anyone else going there?

Also, is it difficult to make friends in NYC?

Me too! Have you found where you're going to live? Or heard any suggestions based on where the school is and good places to live?

• 2 weeks later...

Morningside Heights is a very safe neighborhood patrolled by Columbia cops, very nice, many Columbia students. I would say that outside of Columbia housing, it's not very affordable for students, and even Columbia housing is kind of expensive (apartment shares range from $787-$1339 per month). I'm a Columbia doctoral student now and I was on a training grant last year; the stipend I got was $2280 a month, but I'm funded through the medical center, and the downtown campus students just got a raise that put their monthly stipend slightly higher than that (originally mine was more). I currently pay $900/month in rent and I like it like that, but I also save $200/month. I could probably live comfortably on up to around $1100/month by saving and spending less (I like to shop and eat out!), but I think more than that would be stretching it a bit...although I had a friend who was on the same stipend who was paying $1200 (including utilities and everything).

So I'd say as a Columbia student on a stipend unless you have outside help or are going to supplement with loans, look for places where you can pay around $1100-1200 a month or less in rent + utilities. Anything more than that will probably be a stretch.

Given that, the "best" place to live has a lot to do with your individual preferences and your program, as well as if you have any children or spouses to worry about. I'm a joint student in the School of Public Health (which is uptown at 168th St) and the Department of Psychology so for me that place is currently Washington Heights, in which I'm walking distance from the SPH and a 30-minute trek door to door to most of my classes and my lab on the main campus. Most of the grad students I know that don't live in graduate housing live either

1) in Harlem - which is slowly gentrifying and a lot of students live in some of the better parts, and it's inexpensive

2) in Washington Heights/Inwood - pretty safe neighborhood, and also inexpensive here, with a short commute to main campus and to Midtown/downtown for exploration and fun

3) in Brooklyn - cheaper than Manhattan; popular neighborhoods are Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Clinton Hill, Flatbush, and sometimes Bushwick - Brooklyn Heights and the downtown Brooklyn area are also nice, but expensive

4) and, sometimes, in Queens - also cheaper than Manhattan, neighborhoods I know people live in are Kew Gardens, Astoria, and Long Island City.

If you don't mind a longer commute the Brooklyn neighborhoods have a distinctive flavor and are cheaper. Harlem and Washington Heights/Inwood are great for shorter commutes. If you live along the E, F, V, R, or 7 in Queens then you shouldn't have to take more than two trains into Columbia (all of those connect to the 1 at some point).

Congrats to the NYC people! I'm moving too :) (New School, MA International Affairs)

My fiancée and I are looking into Brooklyn and we should be headed to NY June 10-13th looking at/for places. One of my closest friends is from NYC and has a cousin that is an apartment broker there. If anyone is looking for someone, I'll pass his info via PM.

Additionally, if anyone wants to exchange info, meet up or form a "poor NYC kids" support group, PM me laugh.gif

I have an apartment! Whew! Now I just have to figure out how to move... does anyone have experience moving from the Boston area to Manhattan? Any advice? Will I regret trying to bring my (decent, but still) Ikea bedroom furniture with me? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, do Columbia students live in the Bronx at all? It strikes me that anywhere on the 1, 4 or D lines would be a much more sane commute to Columbia than getting there from many places in Brooklyn.

Speaking of Brooklyn: Ignore everything nice that is said about Williamsburg. The second worse place in NYC behind Time Square. It's like a ridiculous amusement park where you go to watch parodies of trust fund hipster acting aloof, riding fixies and grooming their mustaches. Did you know that it has the lowest participation rate in the 2010 census thus far? Do you know why? Because ironic hipster can't be bothered to fill out ten questions and mail it back. Such a terrible place.

Carroll Gardens and Clinton Hill are really nice though - and while they're both "cool" they still feel like a real neighbourhoods.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am considering applying to the Mailman School of Public Heath at Columbia University but am concerned about the location (168th street, near the West Side Highway). I have heard the neighborhood is not-so-great both in terms of safety and overall fun. As someone who will be potentially taking all night classes, is the neighborhood safe relative to other Manhattan schools (for example, I feel perfectly safe taking the subway from NYU late at night)? Also, what's the overall feel of the location?

Any help would be appreciated!

Where should I live if I want to keep my car? I'm going to Columbia this fall for my MA and I know everyone says sell your car, but I bought a brand new car just a year ago and it's been really hard trying to sell it.

I've already looked at Jersey City/Hoboken and it seems pretty pricey and the area doesn't seem as safe once you are further away from the PATH trains. Also parking there is quite pricey, most people told me I won't be able to street park in JC. Fort Lee looked promising but people keep telling me commuting across the GW bridge can get really bad, and don't recommend it. I already looked at Queens, not sure if street parking will work, seemed like a hassle to get to the other side of Manhattan, and desirable areas are also as expensive as Manhattan. I haven't looked into Brooklyn but it seemed like way too long of a commute since Columbia is on the upper side. How is the Bronx? Are there any neighborhoods you can recommend?

Are there any places in NY where you can street park (somewhat) easily? I've already talked with OCHA and a bunch of realtors and the only thing they say is sell my car, which I've been trying to do for 3 months now. I don't need something really cheap in rent but if I add up the cost of things like garage parking I might as well just sell my car to a dealer at crappy trade in value and live in a nice apartment in Manhattan. I know the commute is a trade-off for having a car, which I don't mind too much, but it's difficult trying to weigh all the options when you're across the country. Sorry for the frustration, but I feel like trying to sell your car is harder than selling your soul.

Edited by iamwhoiam

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity, do Columbia students live in the Bronx at all? It strikes me that anywhere on the 1, 4 or D lines would be a much more sane commute to Columbia than getting there from many places in Brooklyn.

Speaking of Brooklyn: Ignore everything nice that is said about Williamsburg. The second worse place in NYC behind Time Square. It's like a ridiculous amusement park where you go to watch parodies of trust fund hipster acting aloof, riding fixies and grooming their mustaches. Did you know that it has the lowest participation rate in the 2010 census thus far? Do you know why? Because ironic hipster can't be bothered to fill out ten questions and mail it back. Such a terrible place.

Carroll Gardens and Clinton Hill are really nice though - and while they're both "cool" they still feel like a real neighbourhoods.

What do you guys think of this? It was on the Hunter College website.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=new+york+student+housing&fb=1&gl=us&hq=student+housing&hnear=New+York,+NY&cid=15240609783366807907&ei=3q9JTMu3CML98AavwtSEDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQnQIwAA

good google reviews:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=new+york+student+housing&fb=1&gl=us&hq=student+housing&hnear=New+York,+NY&cid=15240609783366807907&ei=3q9JTMu3CML98AavwtSEDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQnQIwAA

If I went to Hunter, I'd be a Grad Student. I'd rather not live around Undergrads or generally, people who are loud, party etc. I'd rather be around quiet, studious students. The rates listed are for the semester per person. I wonder if some of the places are more like apts with kitchens etc. I'd rather not live in a bunch of rooms with a common bathroom.

I;m at work so there are unfortunately some limitations as to what I can view.

also a relatively quiet area would bew nice for studying though it weould seem to be hard to find in manhattan.

not considering anything in Brooklyn.

Other than Manhattan I'd consider (as of now) Hunter's Point, Astoria/Ditmar, and Long Island City in Queens. also open to nearby raeas. like to do less than a 40, 30 min pref trip to hunter.

Thanks for replies in advance.

:)

Columbia has some housing up in Riverdale in the Bronx. If you live on the 1, it's easy - ride it straight to Columbia. The 4 and the D are not as easy. With the D you'd have to get off at 125th and take the m60 - which wouldn't take much time at all - or switch to the C or B at 125th and walk across Morningside Park, which is kind of a b*tch because of all the stairs. With the 4, I guess you could also take the crosstown m60 to 116th and Broadway. But honestly, depending on how far into the Bronx you live, getting to Columbia's main campus from Brooklyn might not take that long (from Carroll Gardens if you take an express train I could see it taking around 45 minutes) and it's a straight shot or maybe changing one train instead of to a bus.

Plus the Bronx doesn't have a reputation of a "cool borough" like Brooklyn. As a matter of fact, while Brooklyn has been able to shake it's reputation as a dangerous borough, the Bronx still conjures up images of 1980s New York for people.

As for EHS, I also looked them up. First of all, as a graduate student it would've been horribly inconvenient for me to pay them by the semester. I get paid semimonthly and I wouldn't have had the upfront money to do the payment. Second of all, $1200/month was a lot more than I was willing to pay - and that's their lowest price. At their lowest price, I'd probably also being in their lowest accommodations, which was a triple. They don't list their prices for singles anymore on the website, but I'm sure they are plenty more than $1200 a month. You can find an apartment for less than that elsewhere in the city, but even if you are going to pay $1200 a month, you might as well get your own freaking room without all the rules that a dorm requires - for example, if you want to have overnight guests you have to complete forms, and you can only have one, and they can't stay longer than 3 nights in some places and guests who stay longer than 4 nights have to pay. If I'm going to pay $1500 a month for a room I want it to be my own room AND not have any silly rules about who I can have in my space. I also think all of them are like dorm rooms; none of them have their own kitchens. Honestly, if you wanted a room with a kitchen you could find a studio in Queens or Brooklyn for cheaper than that.

Lastly, I think as a student we can't be picky about what we consider - or at least not so picky as to exclude an entire borough for consideration. Why would you not want to look in Brooklyn at all? A commute from Williamsburg or Greenpoint would probably take you around 45 minutes, a little longer from the rapidly gentrifying Bedford-Stuyvesant and Flatbush areas.

But for other Manhattan and Queens areas that are a quick commute to Hunter - East Harlem is obvious and has cheap rent (I have some friends who live there, including two who live in a really nice 2-bedroom brownstone apartment on 130th and Lenox for $2,000 a month). Other than Astoria and Hunters Point, look at Sunnyside, Woodside, Ravenswood, Jackson Heights, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and even the western part of Flushing.

Columbia has some housing up in Riverdale in the Bronx. If you live on the 1, it's easy - ride it straight to Columbia. The 4 and the D are not as easy. With the D you'd have to get off at 125th and take the m60 - which wouldn't take much time at all - or switch to the C or B at 125th and walk across Morningside Park, which is kind of a b*tch because of all the stairs. With the 4, I guess you could also take the crosstown m60 to 116th and Broadway. But honestly, depending on how far into the Bronx you live, getting to Columbia's main campus from Brooklyn might not take that long (from Carroll Gardens if you take an express train I could see it taking around 45 minutes) and it's a straight shot or maybe changing one train instead of to a bus.

Plus the Bronx doesn't have a reputation of a "cool borough" like Brooklyn. As a matter of fact, while Brooklyn has been able to shake it's reputation as a dangerous borough, the Bronx still conjures up images of 1980s New York for people.

As for EHS, I also looked them up. First of all, as a graduate student it would've been horribly inconvenient for me to pay them by the semester. I get paid semimonthly and I wouldn't have had the upfront money to do the payment. Second of all, $1200/month was a lot more than I was willing to pay - and that's their lowest price. At their lowest price, I'd probably also being in their lowest accommodations, which was a triple. They don't list their prices for singles anymore on the website, but I'm sure they are plenty more than $1200 a month. You can find an apartment for less than that elsewhere in the city, but even if you are going to pay $1200 a month, you might as well get your own freaking room without all the rules that a dorm requires - for example, if you want to have overnight guests you have to complete forms, and you can only have one, and they can't stay longer than 3 nights in some places and guests who stay longer than 4 nights have to pay. If I'm going to pay $1500 a month for a room I want it to be my own room AND not have any silly rules about who I can have in my space. I also think all of them are like dorm rooms; none of them have their own kitchens. Honestly, if you wanted a room with a kitchen you could find a studio in Queens or Brooklyn for cheaper than that.

Lastly, I think as a student we can't be picky about what we consider - or at least not so picky as to exclude an entire borough for consideration. Why would you not want to look in Brooklyn at all? A commute from Williamsburg or Greenpoint would probably take you around 45 minutes, a little longer from the rapidly gentrifying Bedford-Stuyvesant and Flatbush areas.

But for other Manhattan and Queens areas that are a quick commute to Hunter - East Harlem is obvious and has cheap rent (I have some friends who live there, including two who live in a really nice 2-bedroom brownstone apartment on 130th and Lenox for $2,000 a month). Other than Astoria and Hunters Point, look at Sunnyside, Woodside, Ravenswood, Jackson Heights, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and even the western part of Flushing.

Never considered East Harlem. I didn't consider Brooklyn since the areas I'm considering in Queens seemed closer. It doesn't seem like there is a point as Queens is closer and isn't trendy like Brooklyn which factors into the price. I wouldn't totally rule out Brooklyn, it's just Queens is preferable.

wonder how this is:

http://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/apartment_finder/CommunityNeighborhood.aspx?property_id=205878

found these realtors for rentals:

http://www.century21triboro.com/

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience with Grad Schools in driving distance for career changing Mom in Northern Westchester County ,NY? I am considering a visual arts MFA through Purchase College, Lehman College, or Low Residency through Vermont College of Fine Arts. I can't do a long residency away from home, so it is commute or short away stays only for an MFA in painting and visual arts (not digital). Any input?

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I'm going to start grad school in NYC soon and I need to find an apartment soon. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of websites that would be useful for finding apartments? Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey all,

I'm going to start grad school in NYC soon and I need to find an apartment soon. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of websites that would be useful for finding apartments? Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey! What school are you going to? What term are you starting in? I am moving to NYC in January and am looking for an apartment/roommate as well!

I'm heading out to NYU and starting next Fall semester. However, I'm actually looking to settle into a place at the beginning of this summer. myoung84- I really appreciate the offer, but I'm actually planning on moving into a place with two of my hometown friends who are also going to NYU, so I don't think we'll be able to take on another person. I should have mentioned that earlier. I'm really sorry.

colleen_lee- Thanks for the thought. I've looked through craigslist but can't seem to find enough places that look good for us. Are there any other sites that might show a lot of listings?