New York, NY

Cheap compared to the city or Scarsdale, but not really for what you get - particularly from the "student apartments" you're referring to. You're on point with Pelham Parkway but you're talking $1500 for a 2br - not bad but not cheap. Also you're assuming here this person can rely on parents. We're not talking undergrads here. Anyone footing his own bill is going to have to show a credit score, stubs for 40x the rent, and have first/last/sec. up front for a building which is what PP is primarily. OP is probably going to have to rent from an owner (i.e. 2 or 3 family) because a Fordham stipend is only 22k. (25k if you get a "supplement")

Herc pointed out something important - I wouldn't even mention the word "student" to landlords. Tell them you're working at Fordham. To most people "student" = undergrad and you're going to get steered towards the overpriced ratholes he's referencing.

One can find a huge 1BR in Pelham Pkwy for 1100. A studio for less. Paying a deposit (1100) and first month's rent (1100).

This isn't quite true. By Arthur Ave is ok but west of Webster it's still really hot over there with drugs and gangs and also on Crotona below 187 there's lots of action. There was a multiple homicide there last semester. About once a week the university sends out the latest bulletin about some crime. Granted, many are perpetrated on people who don't use common sense - not watching their surroundings, walking around with their IPod's or cell phones out, stumbling around drunk alone at 2am - but there's been muggings during the day too. It's not 1970's "Bronx is Burning" or early 90's with over 100 murders in the area, but crime is an issue. The 4-8 is still one of the busier houses in the city.

The students at fordham use as much drugs as the surrounding locals. There actually isn't a lot of violent crime, which is what matters for an outsider (not private drug usage/selling). Gangs as such, with large hierarchies (westcoast or midwest style), don't really exist in NYC, so I'm not sure where that is coming from. Crime rates in NYC are at 40-50 year lows. Sure, crimes do occur if you count them 1 by 1, but relative to the population density, it's really not any higher than a lot of cities and suburbs.

Which kind of proves my point, I know you didn't recommend Belmont to him, but pissing in doorways and stealing packages isn't an indicator of a good neighborhood.

The ones pissing and stealing are the Fordham students, not the locals. Id est, they've made the neighborhood "bad."

You mean the Candy Lounge? Funny you mentioned it - the university just sent out a bulletin this morning about a shooting that happened there last night that blew out a window of a university vehicle. So it's not just paranoia.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not blind to what you're talking about. Lots of white people here don't even give anywhere in the Bronx a chance because of preconceptions they have. On the other hand it's irresponsible to lead out-of-towners astray - look at all these young out-of-towners, these hipsters, moving into places like Bushwick and around Bruckner Blvd. by the Willis Ave. Bridge (the Realtors have the nerve to call it SoBro). They have no idea what they're getting themselves into

I don't mean to be a total buzzkill, you brought up some good points and PP is a decent area convenient to the #12 Select bus. It just irks me when people ignore history and try to whitewash what really goes on. Then the newcomers are led to believe something that isn't true and they end up getting taken advantage of.

Ahhh, excellent. Selective attention and small sample size... the very foundation of prejudices. "Well, this one time I saw...!!!" I've engaged with the Bronx longer than you have and can say with confidence that my sense of what actually happens is probably a good bit better and less skewed by expectations and veils of "information" sent out by institutions to brainwash.

When I was a student at UChicago, the school would send crime bulletins all the time, too, because Hyde Park was supposedly so dangerous. I never saw a single violent crime in my four years there. Well, besides the ones committed by students, that is.

Anyways, I suggest shirking realtors and brokers. One should choose a neighborhood one likes and walk through, jotting down landlord tel. #s, and calling them oneself. No broker fees. That said, that's tougher to do the first time one hits an area (though not impossible), so you guys should at least keep that in mind for future years.

Edited by koolherc

Wow, this thread is more contentious than it ought to be. I think one of the main criteria the OP suggested is being overlooked though: nightlife. If nightlife is important to you, the Bronx is *not* the place to be. At all. There are a few bars in Belmont that are borderline tolerable, but they're nothing special and have a tendency to be overrun by undergrads. The only other parts of the Bronx that have anything resembling a nightlife are Woodlawn (Katonah Ave. is Irish pub central) and Riverdale (The Bronx Ale House is technically in Kingsbridge, but it's my favorite Bronx bar, and An Beal Bocht in Riverdale proper is another fun Irish pub). Neither of these areas is particularly convenient though unless you live in them. If you're Irish, Woodlawn might be worth looking into; back when I was searching for a place I found several 1brs in the $1000 range, so a 2br for $800 apiece is probably doable. Of course you don't have to be Irish to live there, but it remains one of the main ports of entry for Irish immigrants, so the neighborhood has a unique feel. Riverdale is more expensive and not remotely convenient to Fordham. I used to live there...45 minutes on the Bx9 bus. Yikes.

Also, some might argue that the nightlife in Manhattan is just a subway trip away no matter where in the Bronx you live, but you have to remember that you'll be walking *back* from the subway to your apartment in the Bronx after you've had your fun in the city. For some reason, most of the subway stops in the Bronx are located in not-so-savory areas, so you're almost always stuck with a walk through a scuzzy neighborhood after midnight. I don't recommend that kind of action if you can help it.

All that said, the way most Fordham grad students do it goes like this: live close to campus for a semester or two (usually Belmont), get used to the city, and then move off to someplace more your speed. Because public transit is so extensive, grad students here live in all five boroughs, Westchester County, Long Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey. You can only figure out which one will be best for you by getting your feet on the pavement and checking places out. Since you won't have time to explore the whole area before you start school, it's best to view your first apartment here as a starting point. Just make sure you see and explore the neighborhood where you're moving before you move in there. NEVER take someone's word about property in NYC. Agents in particular are notorious for tricking out-of-towners into renting property in crummy neighborhoods. They'll tell you it's a charming pre-war in Riverdale when it's really a sixth-floor walk-up in Kingsbridge Heights with crack dealers on the front stoop. Bottom line: check things out in person and trust your gut. And if push comes to shove, Belmont is always a trusty first option for Fordham folks.

Good luck and welcome to Fordham!

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn the thread into a pissing match; I just don't want OP stuck somewhere not knowing what he's getting into. It must have touched a nerve with Herc because the Bronx does get an unfair shake, but to suggest there are no problems is a bridge too far, that's all.

Good points made especially in regard to the brokers. As Herc said, try to avoid them all together. It's easy enough to find a place in a 2-4 family home with an owner landlord.

The great thing about Woodlawn is it's on Metro-North; same goes for White Plains and Stamford too. All are lively places. I've found most out-of-towners find Woodlawn, Sunnyside, Woodside, Bayside, Bay Ridge, etc. (unfortunately OP only wants a < 30 min. ride each way eliminating those other places) are plenty fun. If nightlife is being able to meet people and go out, those nabes all fit the bill.

Good luck abc!

Hi everyone

I just finished reading the entire thread. Most people request information about NYU or Columbia. I was wondering if anyone has any information about Mount Sinai School of Medicine in general. How is the housing situation there? Has anyone here lived or visited the Jane B. Aron Residence Hall? Could you share your thoughts? And how about off campus housing options? Best neighborhoods?

Thanks!

Anyone?

honestly, how difficult is it to live in ny on a grad stipend? i hear people say that it's doable, but i can't imagine it being at all comfortable. i put the stipend amount into a cost of living calculator and found out that i'd be able to live the exact same lifestyle that i live now as an undergrad. i don't really want to live like an undergrad for the next five years of my life... right now, i can't save any money and i eat crappy food, and i don't think i can take this much longer. i have great stipend offers at other programs, and i just don't know if it would be worth it to give them up for a chance to live in ny.

I was just wondering if there are any grads in NYC who have children? I am looking at Teachers College (Columbia) and need a SAFE yet affordable ($1500 for 2-3 bedroom) place for myself, the hubby, and the kids. Am I just going to have to resort to outlying areas? Thoughts??

I was just wondering if there are any grads in NYC who have children? I am looking at Teachers College (Columbia) and need a SAFE yet affordable ($1500 for 2-3 bedroom) place for myself, the hubby, and the kids. Am I just going to have to resort to outlying areas? Thoughts??

2-3 bedrooms for that amount in Manhattan is going to be really really tough to find, if even possible (but I defer to others here since I haven't looked at places in the city in a few years). Maybe somewhere farther out in Queens is a possibility, but even that for $1500 is going to be tough. If you look up the thread a bit, you'll see that someone has a 700 square foot place for $1200 in Bay Ridge, which is as far south in Brooklyn as you can go and I'm sure that's not a 2-3 bedroom.

2-3 bedrooms for that amount in Manhattan is going to be really really tough to find, if even possible (but I defer to others here since I haven't looked at places in the city in a few years). Maybe somewhere farther out in Queens is a possibility, but even that for $1500 is going to be tough. If you look up the thread a bit, you'll see that someone has a 700 square foot place for $1200 in Bay Ridge, which is as far south in Brooklyn as you can go and I'm sure that's not a 2-3 bedroom.

Yes, I have been trying to do some research and it seems like I am looking for a needle in a haystack :) I have been looking on Staten Island and Long Island, in Yonkers, and some areas of Queens. I have read good and bad about most of the neighborhoods, but ultimately I don't know what to think. The last thing I want is to end up in the ghetto with the kids. I know that Manhattan is not an option and I do not mind riding the ferry/train/bus into town. I don't think I want the kids right in the middle of the city anyway. Does this additional info spark any ideas?

Yes, I have been trying to do some research and it seems like I am looking for a needle in a haystack :) I have been looking on Staten Island and Long Island, in Yonkers, and some areas of Queens. I have read good and bad about most of the neighborhoods, but ultimately I don't know what to think. The last thing I want is to end up in the ghetto with the kids. I know that Manhattan is not an option and I do not mind riding the ferry/train/bus into town. I don't think I want the kids right in the middle of the city anyway. Does this additional info spark any ideas?

Well then it comes down to how far you want to commute really, since obviously the farther out you go the more the price will drop. I would avoid Staten Island unless you want a ridiculous commute every day, since you'll be going from the southern edge of the city all the way to upper Manhattan. Westchester might not be a bad bet in terms of commuting, but it's also going to cost a lot more and I'm not sure you can find the price range you are looking for. If 1,500 really is the max you can go, then look at somewhere in Jersey not too far from the NJ Transit line or maybe somewhere past the 7 train in Queens which ties you to the LIRR (e.g. Flushing). To get to that price though in those places, you might need to be a 15-20 walk from the station (unless you want to pay to park there).

You've done more searching than I have it sounds like, but NYC is the most expensive market in the country and a 3 bedroom for 1500 in a nice established neighborhood is still going to be hard to do unless you are fine with an hour plus commute every day in each direction.

Well then it comes down to how far you want to commute really, since obviously the farther out you go the more the price will drop. I would avoid Staten Island unless you want a ridiculous commute every day, since you'll be going from the southern edge of the city all the way to upper Manhattan. Westchester might not be a bad bet in terms of commuting, but it's also going to cost a lot more and I'm not sure you can find the price range you are looking for. If 1,500 really is the max you can go, then look at somewhere in Jersey not too far from the NJ Transit line or maybe somewhere past the 7 train in Queens which ties you to the LIRR (e.g. Flushing). To get to that price though in those places, you might need to be a 15-20 walk from the station (unless you want to pay to park there).

You've done more searching than I have it sounds like, but NYC is the most expensive market in the country and a 3 bedroom for 1500 in a nice established neighborhood is still going to be hard to do unless you are fine with an hour plus commute every day in each direction.

Even far out in those places, $1500 for a 2-3 is going to be a difficult find, unless it's pretty shady. I live in a three bedroom in North Park Slope (Brooklyn), but I share with two roommates. For our apartment it's $2800 a month altogether. I live in a pretty popular area near express trains, etc, so it's true, the farther out you go, the cheaper. I know for $2000 you could find something in a decent area, but I don't know if that would work for your budget.

I would avoid Staten Island at all costs. Also, if you commute in from a place like Westchester (which is also not cheap) or Poughkeepsie even, the amount you pay for train tickets, parking, etc. will almost equal NYC apartment costs.

My best advice is to try to increase your budget if you can. Or, if that's completely not an option, you could try moving farther out in NJ (suburbs). I work with a few people who commute in everyday, but it's a pain in the ass. Good luck, and if you have any questions about neighborhoods or anything, feel free to PM me.

I live on Staten Island, and can tell you that you can definitely find a place in a safe neighborhood with good schools within your budget. I can also tell you that if you're using public transportation that you're looking at 90 minutes (give or take 15 minutes) each way to Columbia. Driving is faster - especially off-peak hours - but parking is tight there and if you want a free space you're going to have to leave early. There are a slew of metered spaces on 120 st right in front of TC but you have to get there at the right time to get them.

As has been stated you may want to look into Bergen County in Jersey, Westchester (perhaps your best bet since TC is uptown) or on the Island. The good thing about the Island is that if you're taking PT you will go into Penn Station which is already on the West Side. The issue with the Island, Westchester, and Jersey is that the good towns are mostly single-family housing so the price of apartments is high.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I know that NYC is definitely a "get what you pay for" market, so hopefully I can up my budget with a fellowship :) It's great to talk with people who actually live and go to school there. I appreciate your feedback and will look into the areas recommended.

If the money is really an issue, and you want a nice & safe place where your kids can run around, you should take a serious look at PA. In particular I'm thinking Milford. A guy I worked with came from there, and it's beautiful and cheap. Especially if you're only on campus 3 or 4 days a week it's very doable - under 2 hours each way even in traffic (probably more like 90 minutes). I know people in East Stroudsburg who commute to the city and also I work with someone now who lives in Bethlehem. The cost of living (particularly rent) is far lower and you may even be able to get a house with a yard instead of being holed up with the kids in an apartment with no room. Even with the price of gas you come out way ahead.

If the money is really an issue, and you want a nice & safe place where your kids can run around, you should take a serious look at PA. In particular I'm thinking Milford. A guy I worked with came from there, and it's beautiful and cheap. Especially if you're only on campus 3 or 4 days a week it's very doable - under 2 hours each way even in traffic (probably more like 90 minutes). I know people in East Stroudsburg who commute to the city and also I work with someone now who lives in Bethlehem. The cost of living (particularly rent) is far lower and you may even be able to get a house with a yard instead of being holed up with the kids in an apartment with no room. Even with the price of gas you come out way ahead.

Wow, that sounds pretty great actually. The only thing I am concerned about is whether the train goes out that far. We are a one-car household (NOT fun), so I was planning on using public transportation to get to the city.

Definitely no train; and really, any place convenient to a train is going to be more expensive or downright overpriced. However, Milford and Stroudsburg are both very walkable (i.e. to get groceries, go to the bank, etc.) and if your husband is willing to go without a car for 3-4 days a week then you would be ok.

My friend from Bethlehem, his wife works in the City and gets a bus; it's not cheap though for the monthly ticket, and it's geared toward traditional working hours so you'll need to see if it will fit your class schedule.

New Jersey is an option. I live in Hoboken and the commute to the city is a breeze. When I went to NYU, my commute was about 15 minutes while my Queens/Brooklyn buddies took a 40+ minute train ride. Hoboken can be pricey as well, but you will have better luck. Jersey City or Union City has some decent neighborhoods as well. I've lived in Hoboken for almost 7 years and I absolutely love living here. If you have any questions about neighborhoods, I'd be more than happy to give you suggestions.

Edited by speak2me

Does anyone know anything about Columbia's graduate housing (for GSAS students)? Would this be my best option for living in Manhattan on a PhD student budget?

They really don't give any information about it on the website (nothing about specific buildings, and the only options on the housing application are your rent ranges and if you prefer a dorm-room or apartment share). I feel a bit uneasy about not getting to see/choose the specific space where I would live, but perhaps I'm being too paranoid.

Edited by ecritdansleau

New Jersey is an option. I live in Hoboken and the commute to the city is a breeze. When I went to NYU, my commute was about 15 minutes while my Queens/Brooklyn buddies took a 40+ minute train ride. Hoboken can be pricey as well, but you will have better luck. Jersey City or Union City has some decent neighborhoods as well. I've lived in Hoboken for almost 7 years and I absolutely love living here. If you have any questions about neighborhoods, I'd be more than happy to give you suggestions.

I was just glancing at craigslist and I saw several places in North Bergen and Chatham. Are these neighborhoods in Hoboken or close to there?

Chatham is nice but nowhere near Hoboken at all. Chatham is near Short Hills. Very nice, upscale area. Not too far from the city.

North Bergen is not right near Hoboken but it's in the vicinity, it's one of the towns near the Hudson between 1/9 and the river. I drive through on my way home from campus at night. Personally I wouldn't move my wife and soon-to-arrive child there without taking a much closer look at the place.

I don't live in GSAS housing but I've been inside a few apartments of friends that do. It's fairly nice. They're small, but any NYC apartment in that area is going to be small anyway. Well appointed, and they look like regular apartments. The furniture is relatively dorm-ish but that's because those wooden bed last forever. I've never been inside the corridor-style dormitory buildings.

The rent for an apartment share is actually pretty decent if you get one in the mid-range ($950 for the apartment shares). The problem is if you get offered one of those like $1200 and up shares. Probably less likely than getting a cheaper one, but I'd say paying a $1250 rent for a share is kind of shitty since you can get a studio in Harlem for that price.

I wouldn't go with the dormitory style options, just because you can get an apartment share (either through the university or off-campus) for around the same price.

I don't live in GSAS housing but I've been inside a few apartments of friends that do. It's fairly nice. They're small, but any NYC apartment in that area is going to be small anyway. Well appointed, and they look like regular apartments. The furniture is relatively dorm-ish but that's because those wooden bed last forever. I've never been inside the corridor-style dormitory buildings.

The rent for an apartment share is actually pretty decent if you get one in the mid-range ($950 for the apartment shares). The problem is if you get offered one of those like $1200 and up shares. Probably less likely than getting a cheaper one, but I'd say paying a $1250 rent for a share is kind of shitty since you can get a studio in Harlem for that price.

I wouldn't go with the dormitory style options, just because you can get an apartment share (either through the university or off-campus) for around the same price.

I visited recently and students told me that whlie they liked the apartment, they wished they'd gone for unfurnished apartments. I don't know if it'll be an option for me, though, because there are no pets allowed in subsidized housing and I've got 2 rabbits I'd be very sad to leave at home.

Does anyone have any experience with using OCHA to find a place (Columbia's off-campus housing assistance service)? Or are you just better off looking on your own?

For those who've lived in NYC before, here's a more fun question for you:

What would you say are five (or how many ever) "must see/must do" events/festivals/restaurants/museums/anything that someone should partake in, during their time living in the city?

Ahhhh!! There are so many. Here are my favorite things to do/places to go/eat/ whatever:

Places to go/Things to see: Shakespeare in the Park, The Promenade, Brooklyn Museum, The Cloisters, Met Opera, Upright Citizens Brigade, Prospect Park, Southpaw

Food: Economy Candy, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, Grimaldi's, ABC Kitchen

Bars: Rolf's (at Christmas), The Dead Poet, Cyprus, Pete's Candy Store, Union Pool