New York, NY

Look in to the Housing unit of ur school, many CUNY schools have housing referals. Also depends on where in NY your school is located and where you intend to live. Good Luck! :)

Hi all,

Moving to NYC in about three weeks to attend Columbia. The apartment search seems pretty daunting, so I'd appreciate any advice on what I'm facing. In brief:

- I'm moving with my girlfriend. We're looking for a 1br or a Studio, preferably in Manhattan (Upper West Side or Morningside, ideally, but maybe further up in West Harlem, depending on safety) but we'd consider Brooklyn as well if it's more convenient.

- We'd like something around $1500 or less... could maybe be convinced to drop a little bit more for the right place. Between my stipend and her part time job, we're looking at $3,000 / month. So <$1500, we can cover the first month's rent and sec deposit.

- Now here's where it gets a little more difficult. Her credit history is solid, but mine has a dent in it over a payment I accidentally missed a year or two ago and a credit card I was consequently denied. On top of that, we can't depend on our parents as guarantor's, so we don't really have anyone lined up... possibly a former Professor, but he's in another state and not necessarily rolling in cash or anything.

I guess what I'm saying is, how difficult will my credit and lack of guarantor make finding the kind of apartment I described above? Are they all so strict, or could I get a decent place with just the things I have at my disposal?

Hi all,

Moving to NYC in about three weeks to attend Columbia. The apartment search seems pretty daunting, so I'd appreciate any advice on what I'm facing. In brief:

- I'm moving with my girlfriend. We're looking for a 1br or a Studio, preferably in Manhattan (Upper West Side or Morningside, ideally, but maybe further up in West Harlem, depending on safety) but we'd consider Brooklyn as well if it's more convenient.

- We'd like something around $1500 or less... could maybe be convinced to drop a little bit more for the right place. Between my stipend and her part time job, we're looking at $3,000 / month. So <$1500, we can cover the first month's rent and sec deposit.

- Now here's where it gets a little more difficult. Her credit history is solid, but mine has a dent in it over a payment I accidentally missed a year or two ago and a credit card I was consequently denied. On top of that, we can't depend on our parents as guarantor's, so we don't really have anyone lined up... possibly a former Professor, but he's in another state and not necessarily rolling in cash or anything.

I guess what I'm saying is, how difficult will my credit and lack of guarantor make finding the kind of apartment I described above? Are they all so strict, or could I get a decent place with just the things I have at my disposal?

My friend lives in Inwood, and you can do a studio or small 1BR within/around 1500 for sure. It's an ok neighborhood and it's a short ride on the 1 train to Columbia. Do make sure you stay west of Broadway; east of it is not so hot.

The bigger issue than credit is whether you make 40x the monthly rent. Places in the city are strict about this. You may be able to show paystubs from where you live now, to show you're both employable, but they may expect you to have jobs lined up already. You have your stipend, but does she have a job lined up too? Also, realize that they may tell you that (officially) you're only approved for $900/mo (900 X 40 = 36000).

Where I live, plenty of landlords of 2-family houses will rent to you as long as you have 1st + last + security, but it's too far. However this may be the case also in areas of Jersey near the GWB or in Westchester, like around Dobbs Ferry or Tarrytown. Landlords there will be more lenient than the City, the rent will be cheaper, and it's actually not a bad ride in from there, straight down the Saw Mill to the West Side Highway.

Edited by long_time_lurker

thrilled to see a new york forum here :D .

i just realized that i have one class that runs upto 10 PM and I live in queens ( near the 7 line). so are the grand central terminals and times square stations safe at night(11pm or so)? I'd leave from my school at 10 pm and i figure that it will take me 40 mins (or longer) to reach 42 street. eventually, i may consider moving closer to my school but for now i have to travel!!

so are the grand central terminals and times square stations safe at night(11pm or so)?

I've been here a short while but I've been a few times in grand central late night (~ 11-midnight) and it always seemed very safe: decent number of people, some police presence, well lit, etc. Can't really speak for times square since I haven't ventured there late night.

Hi all,

I am not sure if it is too late, but try applying for Columbia University Housing. Couples get priority and you will most likely get a studio apartment in the $12-1300 range (according to when I applied at least).

i just realized that i have one class that runs upto 10 PM and I live in queens ( near the 7 line). so are the grand central terminals and times square stations safe at night(11pm or so)? I'd leave from my school at 10 pm and i figure that it will take me 40 mins (or longer) to reach 42 street. eventually, i may consider moving closer to my school but for now i have to travel!!

For my extremely limited experience, most places are "safe enough" as long as you are smart. Don't walk around with you iDevice and headphones. Also, I would put my stuff in normal looking backpacks, not laptop looking bags.

I commute through Penn Station to the Upper East Side and on class nights I get to Penn around 10:30pm -11ish. There are plenty of people around Grand Central and Times Square for it to be comfortable. I don't feel like it thins out enough to be a uncomfortable until around 12 -1am on weeknights and weekends are fine for as late as I've been out. I have a friend that commutes to Queens and she's never mentioned being uncomfortable.

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I signed a lease on the East Side for a 2 room studio in April, we pay $1675 with all utilities included. Rents go up in the spring/summer and the folks who just moved in next to us pay over $2000 for the same space. It was the cheapest place we saw anywhere in the city.

We used a broker which was expensive but I think ours was very very helpful in finding us a place for a really good price and that was much nicer than the places we were able to see on our own. We went and looked at places with 3 different ones and they all showed us different quality places that were around the same price which was really nice since we didn't know how nice of a place we could afford. Use common sense when meeting anyone or handing over money, we just had friends who should have know better lose money when they wired it to someone they found on craigslist.

We had to use both my boyfriends parents as guarantors (they are both self employed so we needed both even though 1 + my boyfriends salary was more than the minimum). The amount of information that we needed from them (in my opinion) would be a whole lot to ask from someone who isn't family.

Edited by Phyl

Yikes. OP, check out Oradell on Craigslist. Found this listing just by putting in nice towns I know near the GWB. 850/mo for a 1 bedroom and in an absolutely beautiful place to live (my mom and her husband live in a nearby town, so I'm familiar with it). You can actually take a bus into the city (so no driving if you don't want to) and the train to Columbia in under an hour door to door. The bus is only $134 a month so you're saving about a grand a month.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples if you look too. I found that one by spending less than 2 minutes.

My boyfriend and I signed a lease on the East Side for a 2 room studio in April, we pay $1675 with all utilities included. Rents go up in the spring/summer and the folks who just moved in next to us pay over $2000 for the same space. It was the cheapest place we saw anywhere in the city.

A $1675/month studio on the Upper East Side was the cheapest place you saw anywhere in the city? Uhh. New York is expensive, but that's definitely on the mid-range expensive side. One can find a decent studio for between $1200-1500, especially if one is willing to not live in the UES. I have a friend living in an UWS studio on 98th for $1200 a month; another lives in a one-bedroom in Brooklyn for $1500; and there are plenty of studios in Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood that do not cost around $1200 a month. That's almost as much as my 2-bedroom in Wash Heights.

I've been in Times Square after midnight and it is still thronging with people. I feel like those two stations are never really empty, so you won't have a problem. My credit was pretty bad but my dad was a guarantor. If you only missed one payment a year or two ago, your credit should still be good.

North Jersey is a definite possibility. However, check to make sure that to get around the town itself (grocery store/housewares/entertainment) you don't need a car. Sure, the rent may be hella cheap and the commute may not be too expensive, but if you factor in gas and maintenance on a car if it's required in order to run basic errands in your hometown...the cost may come out to the same or more.

I am doing an interesting things now a days - getting up at 4 and going for a bike ride in the city - it is simply the most amazing experience one can have - just wish I could get the time aggregate snapshots of the river!

A $1675/month studio on the Upper East Side was the cheapest place you saw anywhere in the city? Uhh. New York is expensive, but that's definitely on the mid-range expensive side. One can find a decent studio for between $1200-1500, especially if one is willing to not live in the UES. I have a friend living in an UWS studio on 98th for $1200 a month; another lives in a one-bedroom in Brooklyn for $1500; and there are plenty of studios in Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood that do not cost around $1200 a month. That's almost as much as my 2-bedroom in Wash Heights.

Our utilities including electric are in that, the places without utilities included were in the $1400- $1500 range. Yes you can find some cheaper stuff further north but I wasn't going to live anywhere that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking home alone very late. I'm small and get hassled often enough in nice areas.

I'll also amend city to mean Manhattan, my commute is pretty long as it is without having to come from another borough and prices close to subway lines weren't cheap enough to add the time.

Edited by Phyl

I totally understand safety, but I am also a small woman who gets hassled pretty regularly (catcalling and the like) and I don't feel unsafe in Washington Heights. I would also never live anywhere I perceived as unsafe. It's a diverse community but there's a big Columbia presence around here and they patrol. I've walked home at all hours of the night, and I've never felt unsafe.

But, one has to live where one feels safe in their own measurement. I am mostly saying this for the benefit of other posters. There is nothing unsafe about Washington Heights or Harlem in and of themselves, but you do have to go on feelings and comfort level.

My utilities (gas/electric) only add about $60 to my bill in the winter months. In the summer months, I run my a/c so it ends up being $120. (I am saying this for the benefit of others who will move here).

Thanks all for the advice. I've actually gotten the paid collection that was hounding me off my credit report, so I think I should be fine with that now. Unfortunately, finding a guarantor still isn't really an option for me, and University Housing has already placed me on the wait list. I guess the plan for now is to just look at as many places as possible as soon as I get to New York - Wash Hts and various parts of Brooklyn mostly. Hopefully I can find a good place for between 1200-1500 that's a little more lenient with students.

• 5 weeks later...

I would think if you are willing to go as high as $1500, you should have no problem finding a decent place (especially if you can put up 2 months' security). I have a friend who has a studio on 98th and Broadway and she pays $1300 a month for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I'm from central NJ so I know the NYC area pretty well, but I did have a few questions about NYU.

I'm not sure if I could get into NYU which is why I'm posting on here. Don't worry, I'm going to the campus to talk with an advisor there, but it can't hurt to get some general advice from you fine folks. Anyway, I'm graduating in May of 2012 from Rutgers with a B.S. in criminal justice. I have three minors (criminology, psychology, sociology) and I would be extremely surprised if my GPA wasn't higher than 3.5 when I graduate. I want to apply to NYU for graduate school, and my question is, what do they normally look for? What kind of programs can I get into to better my resumee? My whole life I've wanted to get my Masters from there so it would mean the world to me if I got accepted.

I read some of the posts on here and I don't even have the general questions that most people do. I already have a job in the city that I could work part-time in while I get my Masters, and I'd make enough to either keep an apartment or just commute from NJ.

Also, does anyone know how many credits NYU requires for an M.S.? I know it can differ depending on what university you're receiving it from.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this has been posted before but if looking for a place off campus what are the best areas in the outer boroughs to commute from for NYU and Columbia. I know the schools are in different areas of Manhattan so what would be a better place to look for each school. I am just not familiar with the subway/bus lines and which areas are connected the best. I am finding that living IN Manhattan may be out of my price range, depending on the aid I get. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

I would move beyond just considering the outer boroughs (though Staten Island to NYU isn't bad) and consider NJ. For instance, you can live in Bayonne (in Jersey) and be by NYU in no time via the light rail and PATH.

Also don't sweat being from out of town and feeling uninformed. mta.info has great schedule and fare info for the subways, buses, and commuter rail (i.e. LIRR and Metro-North). panynj.gov is good for PATH and njtransit.com also for commuting from Jersey.

It depends on what you mean by "best areas." Shortest commute? Most amenities? Cheapest price?

If you are looking for shorter commutes, NYU is located in lower Manhattan so commuting from Brooklyn would be shorter than anywhere else. I could list the closest neighborhoods to Manhattan but they are all expensive, so I would look for cheaper stuff in Williamsburg and Greenpoint, Prospect Heights, Flatbush, Fort Greene, Bushwick, Sunset Park, Clinton Hill, maybe some outskirts of Bed-Stuy.

For Columbia, Queens is closer. The best combination of price, amenities, and commute seems to be Astoria, which is actually the neighborhood in cleans closest to Manhattan. Other options might be Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside (LIRR takes about 10 minutes to get to 34th, and from there it's about 30 minutes to Columbia). There's also the Bronx neighborhood of Riverdale, which is about 40 minutes away. Columbia actually has housing in Riverdale.

It also just really depends on how far you want to live. I know undergrads that commute here from Long Island and Westchester because their families live there. I have grad student friends who commute from Brooklyn because they'd rather travel 1.5 hours to get here every day than pay Manhattan prices, and they love their neighborhoods. My advisor commutes in from Williamsburg because he and his partner were able to afford a beautiful two-story apartment in Williamsburg, something they probably couldn't get here. One of my professors commutes in from Long Island because she lives there with her husband. I know a professor who lives in upstate New York and another one who commutes in from north Jersey. There are several options, it just depends on how far you want to be. Of course the farther you get out from the city the cheaper it is (although that does not hold true for Westchester or Long Island).

I also agree with the advice of scoping out NJ, but when comparing prices do factor in the costs of owning and maintaining a car. You likely won't need one to commute into the city, but you may need one to get around the city in which you live (grocery shopping and the like). Also consider the fact that you may miss out on some graduate student gatherings depending on the type of students you have. In one of my programs, no one lives closer than 20 minutes to campus, so we usually get together at someone's apartment when we want to hang out. In the other one, everyone lived within a 5 minute walk to campus so gatherings were often held on the main campus; I lived 20 minutes away and often didn't feel like crawling back on the subway to go hang out. So I was closer to one of my cohorts than the other.

• 1 month later...

Brooklyn would be the best for you as it's very much near to New York University. Other than that fort greene would be convenient, where you could find some low rented rooms. Once you start living and commuting by buses, you would learn the routes and the buses available for various places. So don't worry, its just the fact of few days, once you are habituated there would be nothing to worry. Good Luck!!!!

Let us know when you make your decision. You've gotten some good advice here.

My only rebuttals would be that Fort Greene/Downtown BK is farther on the train (30 min from DeKalb) from NYU than Hoboken (20 min) for similar money.

Also, in regard to car ownership, I've found besides my "you'll have to take my car from my cold dead hands!" view, it turned out to be cost effective for my wife to keep hers too than move. Basically, the city (Manhattan) is probably too pricey, except Inwood; relatively close places where people tend not to keep cars, like the trendy parts of Brooklyn, Hoboken/JC, are close to transit but the rents are still pretty high. Then the places farther out, will be cheaper and you can keep your car, but then it takes longer and as Juillet mentioned you have to pay for your car. I've found it pays to be farther away - the price with the car is still less than being closer and paying higher rent and I have way more space - but your mileage may vary. If I were you since you have the luxury of time I'd try to find someplace where you get to have your cake and eat it too; low rent, keep your car for convenience, and be close to transit for going to the city for class. Just off the top of my head, Bayonne wins for NYU, it's inexpensive, there's parking (and no alternate side), and it's 45 minutes to NYU by HBLR and PATH.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm in a little bit of a predicament in terms of my living situation. I'm in the middle of trying to get into a grad school program in Manhattan. Should I get in, I'm told I would not have very much time to work (making it very difficult to pay rent every month.) I'm sure that's the case with many grad school programs. I'm going to try my best to get as much financial aid I can, but I don't want to take out any more loans. My family does live in the city, but it's a very cramped household and not conducive to studying. I thought maybe I could save enough money to live off for the first two semesters, but I just don't see myself making enough in time.

So my question is, is it even possible for me to move out? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

A quick question that might be a bit misplaced but I am not sure where else to pose it (feel free to point me in the right direction):

I just moved to NYC a month or so ago. I've applied for phds starting Autumn 2012 and still waiting on results. Anyway, meanwhile I am babysitting/ being an au pair and trying to save up but I find myself craving the company of likeminded grad school oriented people. I don't want to wait until August to make these type of friends! So are there any places in particular to mingle with - especially humanity majors - outside the classroom? I've moved all the way from Europe so it is all the more difficult to understand how you guys do academic connections...

Cheers!