New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question that might be a bit misplaced but I am not sure where else to pose it (feel free to point me in the right direction):

I just moved to NYC a month or so ago. I've applied for phds starting Autumn 2012 and still waiting on results. Anyway, meanwhile I am babysitting/ being an au pair and trying to save up but I find myself craving the company of likeminded grad school oriented people. I don't want to wait until August to make these type of friends! So are there any places in particular to mingle with - especially humanity majors - outside the classroom? I've moved all the way from Europe so it is all the more difficult to understand how you guys do academic connections...

Cheers!

I can't think of any places where humanities-minded grad students mingle. I would suggest checking out some of the lectures or events going on in the city in your field. You can find listings in various places, sometimes the New York Times or the New Yorker, sometimes in grad departments event listings, sometimes through bookstores, sometimes through word of mouth. There are always events going on. You might be able to find like-minded people that way.

I don't really know what you mean by "likeminded grad school oriented people".

You can try what was suggested, looking up when talks are being given. I'm not sure, for on-campus talks, how one goes about getting into a talk if you're not a student.

You can always also try going to a bar around, let's say, NYU, Columbia or Fordham. I suppose there's no guarantee there will be a grad student (or any kind of student) in the place, but it's worth a shot!

... My family does live in the city, but it's a very cramped household and not conducive to studying. I thought maybe I could save enough money to live off for the first two semesters, but I just don't see myself making enough in time.

So my question is, is it even possible for me to move out? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

If your family lives here you know the deal with the real estate market here. You're going to have to figure out if your priority is moving out or going to school. You can get a job for a few years and gain some financial independence. Then you can always go to school. Also, are the programs you're looking into funded? This will make a big difference. Then, especially if you don't mind having roommates, you can swing living in the city especially with a not-too-onerous job on the side.

just have a quick question about formal dressing in the cold winter. i know that it gets really cold during the winter, and I wondered what do people wear if they need to wear trousers/slacks for job/work. do they wear anything extra inside the trousers, or just get a thick trousers?

and thank you all for the inputs, especially on the housing issues

just have a quick question about formal dressing in the cold winter. i know that it gets really cold during the winter, and I wondered what do people wear if they need to wear trousers/slacks for job/work. do they wear anything extra inside the trousers, or just get a thick trousers?

People usually only layer under trousers on the coldest days of the year. If the weather is under 25 degrees F or so, I'd say. But it's a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind that the insides of buildings are generally kept pretty warm, and a lot of people find long underwear to be too warm to wear inside.

For me, I moved to NY from Florida, so it was very hard getting use to the cold winters. Honestly though, I'd say it is pretty rare for the weather to be so cold you need to have layers under your pants. I do own long johns and will wear them out, but like EB456 said it is kept warm inside so you wouldn't want to wear layers of clothes that don't come off or you wold be uncomfortable when you got to work.

This is...a really cute question, to someone who's lived in the Mid-Atlantic region her whole life. I don't mean to be patronizing, it really just made me smile!

Like the others said, it rarely gets THAT cold here. I do a LOT of walking and don't own any special underlayers. On the coldest days (below 25 F), I'll probably curse when I walk out the door and that's about it. Otherwise, I just wear a good coat, scarf, thick socks, and possibly a hat and gloves if it's particularly windy or chilly. I've rarely bothered with a hat or gloves this winter! They just weren't necessary. I tend to wear pants of a normal thickness (no need for heavy-duty weight!) or a skirt or dress with thick tights, with a blouse and cardigan or jacket over top. That's definitely more than sufficient to stay warm! And once you get inside, you may find that it's so well-heated that you need to remove layers.

Edited by threaduntangler

Hey guys. I just found out I was accepted at NYU and I'm starting to look at housing options, preferably in Manhattan. I should be fully funded with a stipend, but it will probably be somewhere around 23k-25k. I just wanted to get some opinions as to whether that's liveable if I want to live in the area around NYU (East/West Village, Union Square, SoHo, Chelsea, Gramercy). If not, what are the best alternative options?

It really does suck trying to live in NYC on a stipend, but you definitely will not be alone! It all depends on how many roommates you can live with and how much space you feel you need. You can definitely find a livable space with roommates in the East Village at the very least. My fiance and I live together, him on a stipend of $25k while he works towards his PhD at NYU and me on an internship stipend of the same. I hope/expect to be living with roughly the same amount next year, after applying to graduate schools!

For us, we couldn't stand the idea of living in a cramped space with others, especially because we have a few pets. We live in Brooklyn, where he grew up. We used to live in Williamsburg, which was very convenient, being right over the bridge to Union Square. It also, of course, has a young, fun crowd. But we moved further away from Manhattan, to Bay Ridge, because we got a lot more space and a more updated apartment for less money. For us, this is worth it. Our rent is $1200/month for around 700 square feet. We were paying $1600 for 600 in Williamsburg and that was a GOOD price for out area, but it was a lot less modern a space than our Bay Ridge apartment. Bay Ridge is a really safe, quiet area and our apartment is one block away from the subway stop. There are endless varieties of restaurants to eat at here, which is a huge perk. From the subway, it's around 30-40 minutes to Union Square on the R/N. It is not bad at all, and I sometimes make the trips several times a day...just sit down, pull out your reading, and before you know it, you're there.

You're probably going to end up getting an MTA monthly pass even if you live within walking distance to the relevant NYU buildings, so you won't really save money by living closer. I am 100% in support of living in the outer boroughs. The only things that is less-than-desirable is if you want to stay out in Manhattan till late at night on a weekend or whatever and stumble drunkenly into the subway only to find that service is wonky: your train's not running, not stopping at your stop, skipping your transfer stop, running only every 5 hours, is detouring to the moon, whatever. Just make sure to look at that info before heading out, would be my only suggestion. It's a lot easier to deal with that sort of situation when you live in Manhattan and the worst thing that would happen is you'd hail a cab and pay $15 to go across town or whatever. Still, all the benefits outweigh the drawbacks by far for me when I think of living in Manhattan vs and outer borough. When you're living on such a small amount of money in such an expensive city, every $100/month increment adds up!

Congrats on your acceptances, btw!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm doing an internship in New York for the Summer and I'll be looking to stay at NYU. However I'm not sure which hall to stay in, I'm looking for my own room (a single). Its a toss up between Coral and Alumni but not sure which is better. Does anyone have any advice? As Im from Europe I wont know anyone there so whichever has the best sort of social scene is a plus as well. Anyone from NYU want to share their wisdom?

I've lived here my whole life but even this mild winter I've rarely gone out without long johns (pants). It's been de rigeur for me since I was a kid going to Catholic high school and having to deal with waiting for MTA buses in the cold. It's just a part of life that in the winter you wear long johns, a hat, gloves, and a warm coat.

Having said that as you've seen from the other responses it's all subjective. For instance as intolerant as I am of the cold I absolutely love the heat and only rarely install my window A/C - only if the temperature in my house goes over 90 for an extended period. Others run their A/C's constantly from May to September. It's all up to what you feel like and your budget.

Hey guys. I just found out I was accepted at NYU and I'm starting to look at housing options, preferably in Manhattan. I should be fully funded with a stipend, but it will probably be somewhere around 23k-25k. I just wanted to get some opinions as to whether that's liveable if I want to live in the area around NYU (East/West Village, Union Square, SoHo, Chelsea, Gramercy). If not, what are the best alternative options?

People do it - that's a competitive stipend - but not (usually) in the neighborhoods you mentioned. Take the advice from the person in Bay Ridge - but beware that he/she got real lucky, I know that nabe well and $1200 for a 1br is a steal there.

There are plenty of people (and plenty who disagree) who would love to live in the City if they had unlimited budgets; the reality is most people live elsewhere. And really, you're not missing out on anything living, for instance, in Bay Ridge, or Sunnyside, or Bayside that you can't get in the City and you can take a train and be to the City (specifically Midtown or Downtown) if you really want/need to be there in the same amount of time as some people who live there (e.g. in Inwood, a popular place for people who want to live affordably but still demand to "live in Manhattan", have a 212 number, etc.).

Hi everyone

I just finished reading the entire thread. Most people request information about NYU or Columbia. I was wondering if anyone has any information about Mount Sinai School of Medicine in general. How is the housing situation there? Has anyone here lived or visited the Jane B. Aron Residence Hall? Could you share your thoughts? And how about off campus housing options? Best neighborhoods?

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice threaduntangler, long_time_lurker!

The more I think about it, the more I prefer the idea of being able to live by myself in one of the boroughs than crowding up with two or three roommates so I can afford to live in Manhattan. I'll probably still see what I can find in that area, but knowing the city is so accessible eases my mind a bit about other areas.

What are some of your favorite neighborhoods? As a language person, I like the idea of being somewhere with an international vibe. Any suggestions?

You have to be more specific as far as "international vibe" because so many nationalities are represented here. However in general you won't go wrong in Queens. Half the people who live there were born outside the US and hail from just about everywhere. The 7 line in particular is dubbed the "International Express". Sunnyside and Woodside are both good neighborhoods with nightlife and not an arm and a leg to live in especially considering their proximity to transit. Another good place in that vicinity is Maspeth. If you're into South Asia, Jackson Heights will be up your alley and if you're looking for Central/South American then Corona will work. Be aware the latter two areas are a tad on the sketchy side (Jackson Heights less so).

One thing to note though is former Mayor Dinkins' "gorgeous mosaic" analogy; the city looks diverse from far away but is made up of many monoglot or monocultural neighborhoods. There are exceptions (I mentioned a few) but you should be aware of people who, for instance, use "diverse" as a euphemism for "black" or "not white". Places like Flushing (Chinese), southeastern Queens like Hollis/St. Albans (black), arguably Jackson Heights (if you lump together Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani) I argue aren't really diverse because they still have a dominant culture. JH has going for it though proximity to other neighborhoods, lots of housing and it's on the 7 train.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

The Bronx is big and has lots of neighborhoods so it's hard to give a comprehensive list.

Avoid the places within walking distance to campus. It's fine during the day but you probably don't want to live there. The couple grad students I know in my program who do don't like it all that much. Most of us live elsewhere, in fact outside the Bronx.

If you're dead set on the Bronx, first it depends on whether you're bringing your car and whether you're driving in or taking the train (or bus). Either way is easy. The school is very centrally located by train stations and the Bronx River Parkway. Good neighborhoods in the Bronx include Woodlawn (specifcally on Google Maps "Woodlawn Heights", the part west of the parkway by Katonah Ave.) Morris Park (again realtors stretch the definition be careful), Throggs Neck, Country Club, and City Island. Riverdale is nice but likely too pricey.

It would probably be best to tell us what you're looking for in a place and a neighborhood and what you like. Peace and quiet or nightlife? Do you like to see trees? Do you mind a high density urban scene or do you want something a little less noisy, crowded, or dirty? Is space a big deal? How long and how much are you willing to spend to get to campus? Are you trying to meet singles and want a bar scene? Would you rather live in a family neighborhood? Do you have a spouse and/or kids? Are you looking to share an apartment or do you want to rent a house with a yard?

I know those are a lot of questions but then it would be easier to steer you in the right directions. People in my program live anywhere from literally steps from the gate to Connecticut, and in every borough of the city. It's really up to personal preference (and how much cash you have!)

I'm single, and I'm looking for a place with a lot of nightlife. I will sacrifice space for safety. As long as I can have my own bedroom, I will be happy. I am willing to commute up to half an hour everyday (one way, 1 hour total everyday). Is it possible to live anywhere for under $800/month without living in a closet?

Thanks so much for responding to me!

Rent in the Bronx is cheap, but plenty of landlords will be looking to squeeze every penny out of you guys (or, your parents, more correctly). It is not at all unsafe around Fordham. The Univ kids have totally taken over the area (Arthur Ave) such that they have parties in the streets at late hours to the detriment of the locals who live there. My mother lives in the area and some Fordham kids urinated on her door. Another time, they stole a mail package of hers. When you go to school at Fordham, please be respectful.

Any talk about the area being dangerous is largely hype and driven by paranoia and a huge culture gap.

For renting apts, I strongly suggest the Pelham Parkway area. 15 min bus ride away, nice tree-lined streets with large prewar apartments and a commercial area, and rents that are well priced. Also Mosholu Parkway for the same reason.

If anyone is looking for nightlife, besides the one that the Fordham kids have created in the area (through a handful of bars and their own house parties), you'll largely have to go into Manhattan. The Bronx is in a whole different part of the city; you don't just travel 20 minutes by subway in order to get into downtown Manhattan. There is a local nightclub across the street from Fordham Univ but I haven't seen Fordham kids frequent it.

Edited by koolherc

I'm single, and I'm looking for a place with a lot of nightlife. I will sacrifice space for safety. As long as I can have my own bedroom, I will be happy. I am willing to commute up to half an hour everyday (one way, 1 hour total everyday). Is it possible to live anywhere for under $800/month without living in a closet?

Thanks so much for responding to me!

To make a long story short, you can do it for 800 if you share.

You should know that you're really restricting yourself with the half hour or less ride. Most grad students in my program and for that matter many New Yorkers in general spend more than that. If you are willing to go 45 min or an hour (that's a general average among the people I talk to) you will have much more to choose from.

By nightlife do you mean just bars and restaurants and meeting people or do you need nightclubs/live music and theater or comedy shows? Do you want the nightlife right outisde your door or do you want a quiet place (i.e. where you can study) with the nightlife close by? Are you bringing a car, and if so will you use it to go to campus?

Rent in the Bronx is cheap, but plenty of landlords will be looking to squeeze every penny out of you guys (or, your parents, more correctly).

Cheap compared to the city or Scarsdale, but not really for what you get - particularly from the "student apartments" you're referring to. You're on point with Pelham Parkway but you're talking $1500 for a 2br - not bad but not cheap. Also you're assuming here this person can rely on parents. We're not talking undergrads here. Anyone footing his own bill is going to have to show a credit score, stubs for 40x the rent, and have first/last/sec. up front for a building which is what PP is primarily. OP is probably going to have to rent from an owner (i.e. 2 or 3 family) because a Fordham stipend is only 22k. (25k if you get a "supplement")

Herc pointed out something important - I wouldn't even mention the word "student" to landlords. Tell them you're working at Fordham. To most people "student" = undergrad and you're going to get steered towards the overpriced ratholes he's referencing.

It is not at all unsafe around Fordham.

This isn't quite true. By Arthur Ave is ok but west of Webster it's still really hot over there with drugs and gangs and also on Crotona below 187 there's lots of action. There was a multiple homicide there last semester. About once a week the university sends out the latest bulletin about some crime. Granted, many are perpetrated on people who don't use common sense - not watching their surroundings, walking around with their IPod's or cell phones out, stumbling around drunk alone at 2am - but there's been muggings during the day too. It's not 1970's "Bronx is Burning" or early 90's with over 100 murders in the area, but crime is an issue. The 4-8 is still one of the busier houses in the city.

The Univ kids have totally taken over the area (Arthur Ave) such that they have parties in the streets at late hours to the detriment of the locals who live there. My mother lives in the area and some Fordham kids urinated on her door. Another time, they stole a mail package of hers.

Which kind of proves my point, I know you didn't recommend Belmont to him, but pissing in doorways and stealing packages isn't an indicator of a good neighborhood.

Any talk about the area being dangerous is largely hype and driven by paranoia and a huge culture gap...There is a local nightclub across the street from Fordham Univ but I haven't seen Fordham kids frequent it.

You mean the Candy Lounge? Funny you mentioned it - the university just sent out a bulletin this morning about a shooting that happened there last night that blew out a window of a university vehicle. So it's not just paranoia.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not blind to what you're talking about. Lots of white people here don't even give anywhere in the Bronx a chance because of preconceptions they have. On the other hand it's irresponsible to lead out-of-towners astray - look at all these young out-of-towners, these hipsters, moving into places like Bushwick and around Bruckner Blvd. by the Willis Ave. Bridge (the Realtors have the nerve to call it SoBro). They have no idea what they're getting themselves into

I don't mean to be a total buzzkill, you brought up some good points and PP is a decent area convenient to the #12 Select bus. It just irks me when people ignore history and try to whitewash what really goes on. Then the newcomers are led to believe something that isn't true and they end up getting taken advantage of.