New York, NY

Yes. Most of the graduate schools participate in University Apartment Housing (UAH), which are a collection of mostly apartment-style buildings in the Morningside Heights area. Teachers College also has their own housing system that's also in the same neighborhood; most of it is dormitory-style (some with private bathrooms). The medical center campus has its own housing system that's a mix of studios, shared apartments, and dormitory-style rooms.

I will note, however, that housing is quite limited amongst graduate students and that you should definitely prepare a Plan B and be prepared to do the apartment search. I think it's slightly easier to get it on the main campus, though, as I only know a few grad students on the Morningside campus who don't live in UAH housing and that's mostly by choice. (By contrast, I know a LOT of CUMC students who live off-campus.)

so as far as cost/accommodation, would you say it is better on or off-campus?

If you're trying to move from abroad, International House is a good bet for the first year, especially if you'll be at Columbia. After that, though, you'll likely be ready to leave. North building apartments > South building rooms.

Are most of the residents at I-House studying at Columbia? NYU seems like quite a trek out from there.

I was thinking of applying for apartment-style accommodation. A guy I know had nothing but praise for I-House, but most of the reviews I've read of the place all mention a deplorable lack of hygiene, so I'm not sure what to think :/

Are most of the residents at I-House studying at Columbia? NYU seems like quite a trek out from there.

I was thinking of applying for apartment-style accommodation. A guy I know had nothing but praise for I-House, but most of the reviews I've read of the place all mention a deplorable lack of hygiene, so I'm not sure what to think :/

I would posit that most residents attend Columbia or one of the nearby/affiliated schools (of music, theological seminaries, teachers colleges), but not all. I would not want to live there as an NYU student - you would have a 30 minute commute.

I-House is good for the proximity to Columbia, the community of like-minded graduate students and the high security of the building. It's not great for cleanliness and you don't particularly get a good deal with the apartments. It's a good landing pad for your first place in NYC if you need to be in the Upper West Side, until you learn more about what you want and where you'd rather live next.

After having some HORRIBLE roommate situations in the past I'm well over living with roommates again in my life if I can avoid it.

I have lots of friends in Brooklyn who I met through my hobbies and they are helping me find a studio of my own for roughly $1000 a month. While it may be about $150 a month more than sharing and I'm not in a hip part of town, I really don't mind. I know how to live on a budget in other aspects and as a person who enjoys her "me" time, I'd rather spend the money on my own space than going to bars and whatnot.

I would posit that most residents attend Columbia or one of the nearby/affiliated schools (of music, theological seminaries, teachers colleges), but not all. I would not want to live there as an NYU student - you would have a 30 minute commute.

I-House is good for the proximity to Columbia, the community of like-minded graduate students and the high security of the building. It's not great for cleanliness and you don't particularly get a good deal with the apartments. It's a good landing pad for your first place in NYC if you need to be in the Upper West Side, until you learn more about what you want and where you'd rather live next.

Thanks for the input! I'm an international student, and ideally it'd be nice to have accommodation figured out before I get there, especially a grad student environment like I-House, instead of figuring out both accommodation and the city in a couple of weeks. But yeah, it seems like there isn't even a direct subway line from I-House to NYU. Apartment hunting insanity it is, then!

Does anyone currently live by Columbia? Could someone tell me if the surrounding apartments are filled with Columbia students etc. I want to live within walking distance, but I don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of campus when I go home (Greenwich sort of feels this way whenever I visit, I almost feel like an NYUer). I lived on the UES this past summer and loved feeling like a regular New Yorker..

Another Columbia question - does anyone have any experience with living in the Westchester area and commuting the Columbia? My wife and I are moving to New York this fall, and I'm considering living in Yonkers/White Plains instead of the city directly. I know the commute wouldn't be too terrible (approx. 1 hour depending on how far north I'd be), but I'm really thinking about it from a more atmospheric perspective. In other words, would living outside the city create a wall or barrier that would make me less likely have the full "living in NYC" experience? I'm just curious to hear opinions about it.

Re: Westchester

It'd be a DIFFERENT New York experience, but I think if the idea of a more suburban lifestyle appeals to you enough for you to consider it, it might be a preferable one...the commute would probably be a real pain, though, with traffic is taken into account. If it's still worth it to you (and I'm not trying to be discouraging...if I were in your shoes, it might be worth it to me!) then give it a shot. :)

Another Columbia question - does anyone have any experience with living in the Westchester area and commuting the Columbia? My wife and I are moving to New York this fall, and I'm considering living in Yonkers/White Plains instead of the city directly. I know the commute wouldn't be too terrible (approx. 1 hour depending on how far north I'd be), but I'm really thinking about it from a more atmospheric perspective. In other words, would living outside the city create a wall or barrier that would make me less likely have the full "living in NYC" experience? I'm just curious to hear opinions about it.

It's an easy drive but parking can be very tight over there.

If you plan on using public transit it's not bad but you may get the same experience living in Jersey or on the Island and find yourself with an easier commute as the trains from there go into Penn Station. Metro North goes to Grand Central which is on the East Side, and Columbia is on the West Side. Even buses from Jersey (or even PA) go to the Port Authority and it's a 1-train ride up to Columbia.

Very useful thread, I just read the 19 pages and I've learned a lot.

A thanks to pomo who recommended padmapper, very useful

I'm an international student coming to Columbia this upcoming fall. I want to rent a studio or a 1 bedroom. My budget is around 1700/month but 1500 would be ideal. I'm looking for advice on what area to look in based on the following question (they will determine how far I would like to live from campus):

1- What is the typical time grad engineering courses are held? Late afternoon ?

2- Would relying on university cafeteria for my main meals be a good idea?

3- If you were in my place would you live in manhattan or in the surrounding boroughs?

4- Are there any areas I should avoid? May be too noisy at night?

Does anyone currently live by Columbia? Could someone tell me if the surrounding apartments are filled with Columbia students etc. I want to live within walking distance, but I don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of campus when I go home (Greenwich sort of feels this way whenever I visit, I almost feel like an NYUer). I lived on the UES this past summer and loved feeling like a regular New Yorker..

Yes, even if it's not obvious almost all of the buildings in Morningside Heights are dorms, Columbia offices, faculty housing or a mix of all three. You will feel the neighborhood change at 110th Street or east of Morningside Park. If you liked the UES I recommend looking in the W90s or 80s for a healthy separation of work and home.

Edited by arieshine

Yes, even if it's not obvious almost all of the buildings in Morningside Heights are dorms, Columbia offices, faculty housing or a mix of all three. You will feel the neighborhood change at 110th Street or east of Morningside Park. If you liked the UES I recommend looking in the W90s or 80s for a healthy separation of work and home.

how far into Harlem would you have to go into before one can get decently priced housing yet still close enough to Columbia?

Quote: how far into Harlem would you have to go into before one can get decently priced housing yet still close enough to Columbia?

(sorry I can't actually quote, silly iPad widget.)

To answer this question...as a native New Yorker, I wouldn't recommend trying this; a lot of neighborhood in Harlem, especially east Harlem, are very spotty and can still be dangerous, and without doing a lot of scouting ahead of time on location you just won't know what you're getting in to.

Depending on your definition of "reasonably priced" and "close" the western part of Washington Heights (north of 168th street, west of St. Nicholas) is usually pretty okay, especially the part around 181st and Calibri; I lived on 171st for a year and never felt in danger. Inwood also works well (the area right around Fort Tryon park). Both these neighborhoods are on the 1 train line; when I lived in Washington Heights I could get to the Columbia area in less than 15 minutes by train, or it could be walked in about an hour (three miles).

In all of these neighborhoods, though (Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood) look out for deals that look a little too good, though. I found a fantastic deal on a one bedroom for $1250 a month...and ended up with bedbugs.

Hope this helps!

Edited by unforth

Quote: how far into Harlem would you have to go into before one can get decently priced housing yet still close enough to Columbia?

(sorry I can't actually quote, silly iPad widget.)

To answer this question...as a native New Yorker, I wouldn't recommend trying this; a lot of neighborhood in Harlem, especially east Harlem, are very spotty and can still be dangerous, and without doing a lot of scouting ahead of time on location you just won't know what you're getting in to.

Depending on your definition of "reasonably priced" and "close" the western part of Washington Heights (north of 168th street, west of St. Nicholas) is usually pretty okay, especially the part around 181st and Calibri; I lived on 171st for a year and never felt in danger. Inwood also works well (the area right around Fort Tryon park). Both these neighborhoods are on the 1 train line; when I lived in Washington Heights I could get to the Columbia area in less than 15 minutes by train, or it could be walked in about an hour (three miles).

In all of these neighborhoods, though (Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood) look out for deals that look a little too good, though. I found a fantastic deal on a one bedroom for $1250 a month...and ended up with bedbugs.

Hope this helps!

Hey thank you so much! I haven't had a chance to get on here to but this has helped a lot!

If you want to do this, there are a few things you should consider. While you will certainly need a car to live in Westchester, I would highly advise against using it to commute to school. Driving in New York isn't so bad, but parking is. And I mean REALLY bad. The best option is to then use commuter rail (Metro-North) which will take about 30 minutes-1 hour to get to Grand Central Station. From there you can take the 7 cross-town to Times Sq. and transfer to the 1, which will take you to Columbia.

It's totally do-able, and thousands of people do it everyday, but be aware that you will really not have the feeling of living in New York. I think it would be much better to live in Queens close to a subway connection if you are looking for a "quieter" New York experience. The commute would be a bit shorter and cheaper (Metro-North tickets are about $15 for a round-trip, although I'm not sure how much a monthly pass is, but I think it's around the $200 range) and you would still be living in New York. Living outside of the city will create a strong barrier between you and the city and you will never really feel like a New Yorker.

Hope this helps!

Having lived in Westchester and the city most of my life and commuted to just about every point in the city at one time or another I would agree with your first assessment that the commute is very livable either by train or car. The living experience is a good question. The answer is it really depends. I would personally avoid Yonkers, however White Plains has a real atmosphere about it. Lots of restaurants and things to do in general and good access to all parts of the Tri-State area. However, its not anything like living in NYC. Its just not the same experience. Personally I prefer the suburbs but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I grew up there.

Yeah, right now I'm hedging my bets on getting a housing assignment from the university. If that doesn't pan out, I'll have to start thinking from there. I think I'm of the same opinion as you guys about Westchester vs. Queens (or something similar) in that I'd really rather live "in" the city if at all possible, at least for the two years I'm guaranteed to be there. I was born in Westchester and lived there until I was about 5, but that doesn't help me right now. :-)

Hi,

I'll be moving to New York next Fall, it's very exciting but so hard to find affordable housing !

I might have found a place near the Prospect Avenue metro stop (also not too far from 4th Avenue and 9th Street). Do any of you know if it's a nice neighborhood to live in and if these subway lines are safe at night ?

Hi,

I'll be moving to New York next Fall, it's very exciting but so hard to find affordable housing !

I might have found a place near the Prospect Avenue metro stop (also not too far from 4th Avenue and 9th Street). Do any of you know if it's a nice neighborhood to live in and if these subway lines are safe at night ?

Go for it! I have some friends who live over there and it's definitely a nice/safe area.

Hi everyone!

I'll go to Columbia this fall and yet haven't secured any housing. I have an option to live in Queens (if I don't get the campus housing one). Anyone has the experience commuting from Queens to Columbia? How long does it take by train? I'd love to hear any advice.

Thanks.

Hi everyone!

I'll go to Columbia this fall and yet haven't secured any housing. I have an option to live in Queens (if I don't get the campus housing one). Anyone has the experience commuting from Queens to Columbia? How long does it take by train? I'd love to hear any advice.

Thanks.

I think the M60 bus takes you directly from Astoria, Queens to Morningside Heights. Supposedly a 45 minute commute. I was considering Astoria until I got housing.

I'll be attending Columbia this fall as well and am a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of finding housing. Many of my friends (all of them native New Yorkers) have suggested that I use a broker, especially since I will be won't be leaving my job until August 10 and will only be able to take off one or two days maximum to look at apartments. For neighborhoods, I'd like to be within an 1 hour's commute by train and be somewhere relatively safe. My max budget is probably $1300-1400. Anyone have any suggestions on places that fit that criteria? I'm currently in DC and most renters here live in units in row houses (i.e. brownstone units) and I would love to do something similar in NY, but all I've really seen is larger apartment buildings. Is renting a unit in a brownstone or even a smaller building, possible? And where would be the best place to be able to do that in the city?

Thanks!