Working throughout Grad School

Hi guys!

Im excited to be starting my grad program in the fall, but I’m starting to worry about what I will be doing for cost of living. I know that I will be depending on my loans for my apartment but am up in the air about taking extra loan money out for gas/groceries/miscellaneous thjngs? 

Is it common to take out loan money for everything?

Does anyone work  minimal hours a week and feel comfortable with that money as their spending money? 

My rent each month will be 384.00! 

This is the scary part right? I started my grad program this summer and had to quit my job. Yes I'm borrowing money for living expenses, but am happy with my decision. Grad school is a lot of work! You need your time to devote to your studies, believe me. If you were going to be a part time student you could make it work, but full time would be questionable. Good luck! 

I'm wondering about this too. I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country, and it's very nerve-wracking thinking about how to make due without some sort of work. And I don't really have any skillsets that would let me make a lot for minimal hours, sadly. I'm thinking about trying to work part-time--but if school is really a full-time commitment, I'm worried I'll burn out trying to do both...

I've pretty much flip-flopped from my original idea, which is that I would work about 20 hours a week, to only working the 5 or 6 hours a week allotted by work study. I know we have to keep our schedules flexible, with evening classes starting in the second semester, and time is at a premium. My partner and I will be sharing a car so I feel like the extra time and energy expended on an off-campus job isn't worth the most-likely low-wage position I could get. I'm going to bite the bullet, take out more in loans but live more sanely and happily, with real vacations. Fortunately my partner will be working, which will help with money. I actually feel like I'll be less stressed and burned out in grad school than I have been this last year, when I was doing my full-time post bacc and working 60 hours a week. I'm sure I'll regret it later when I have to pay the loans back, but for now it will be amazing to only have to focus on school.

I'm in my second semester, clinic is full swing, and I just got hired as a part-time SLPA at a private practice nearby.  I'll likely lose my sanity, but I'll keep you posted lol

On 6/21/2018 at 3:15 PM, láadan said:

I'm wondering about this too. I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country, and it's very nerve-wracking thinking about how to make due without some sort of work. And I don't really have any skillsets that would let me make a lot for minimal hours, sadly. I'm thinking about trying to work part-time--but if school is really a full-time commitment, I'm worried I'll burn out trying to do both...

I feel your pain. I’m in LA, are you in San Francisco?

I work part time on campus in one of the offices and work about 15 hours a week as part of my federal work study. Right now it is definitely manageable. My program you do all of your coursework first and then complete your practicum. So I won't be able to work once I start my practicum, but right now it is definitely manageable. Most girls in my program work part time if this helps. 

It totally depends on you and your program! Many of the people in my cohort who are working off-site are thinking of quitting next year or have quit because of the workload. However, I know others who plan to work through school (babysitting, in EI, and working remotely). I work 4 hours per week as a graduate assistant and I plan to keep doing that through next year,  but I wouldn't want to do any more. I am often on campus from 9 am to 9 pm, which makes fitting a work schedule in difficult. Graduate school is also really challenging (time-wise, sometimes emotionally, academically, etc.) and I need all of the little tiny pockets of self-care time I can find!

For everyone considering working, I would definitely wait until you get to school, if you can. I know that messes up plans for loans but I really think it is important to see what YOU feel you can do--it's different for everyone.

Also, I am SOOOOO jealous of your rent!!! I decided to move to Boston for grad school and I knew it would be expensive but OMG my rent!!

Edited by plume

On 6/22/2018 at 10:45 PM, SoCali said:

I feel your pain. I’m in LA, are you in San Francisco?

More or less, across the Bay over in Berkeley... It's a bit better here than it is in the city, but still very, very expensive. Living with roommates, you can still expect to pay well over 1k in rent. I hear LA is pretty bad too...

On 6/25/2018 at 1:05 AM, láadan said:

More or less, across the Bay over in Berkeley... It's a bit better here than it is in the city, but still very, very expensive. Living with roommates, you can still expect to pay well over 1k in rent. I hear LA is pretty bad too...

I was in the Bay last summer and the rent stunned me. It’s defintely more expensive than LA, I would love to move there-maybe one day.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys! I know this is an old post but I wanted to add some input. I just finished my first semester of grad school, and I work for a company called VIPKID where I teach English online to children one-on-one. It's SUPER flexible--I make all of my own hours and can decide whether I want to teach or not teach during a given week. It pays around $18-22 an hour, even more with incentives. It's super fun and all of the lessons are pre-made. I think it's a great job for SLP students who want a job that's somewhat similar to the field, and can even give you experience that I imagine is very similar to telepractice! If you use my link to apply (https://t.vipkid.com.cn/mkt/landing/personal?referralToken=8f48acf1178aa890c2e83f9c5d70c460&refereeId=5933101) I get a little extra money, but I'd love to help anyone who is interested through the application process!! 

2 hours ago, maggiemae9 said:

Hi guys! I know this is an old post but I wanted to add some input. I just finished my first semester of grad school, and I work for a company called VIPKID where I teach English online to children one-on-one. It's SUPER flexible--I make all of my own hours and can decide whether I want to teach or not teach during a given week. It pays around $18-22 an hour, even more with incentives. It's super fun and all of the lessons are pre-made. I think it's a great job for SLP students who want a job that's somewhat similar to the field, and can even give you experience that I imagine is very similar to telepractice! If you use my link to apply (https://t.vipkid.com.cn/mkt/landing/personal?referralToken=8f48acf1178aa890c2e83f9c5d70c460&refereeId=5933101) I get a little extra money, but I'd love to help anyone who is interested through the application process!! 

I've seen them on facebook! Good to know, thank you.