Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

4 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Congrats!

can i ask what kind of niche music you are a nerd for?

Hahaha I was honestly just thinking niche music nerd because applying for a phd in musicology is just a very specific niche thing to do. The actual music I study is probably the least niche... I do a lot of work with pop music and some 20th century ?

1 hour ago, nichemusicnerd said:

Hahaha I was honestly just thinking niche music nerd because applying for a phd in musicology is just a very specific niche thing to do. The actual music I study is probably the least niche... I do a lot of work with pop music and some 20th century ?

Lol i get ya

Guest barkin62

@people who interviewed at Yale, did they say anything about when decisions will be out? They're practically the only place I haven't at least heard about an interview from.

3 hours ago, barkin62 said:

@people who interviewed at Yale, did they say anything about when decisions will be out? They're practically the only place I haven't at least heard about an interview from.

They did not,  but at least from previous yrs, it looks like acceptance are generally released 2 weeks after interviews and rejections soon afterwards. Which would be the week of Feb. 18. I'm under the impression they did all their interviews this previous week unless theory/musicology is handled separetely.

20 hours ago, Musiking said:

Well that UChicago rejection came in with the app forwarded to the MAPH. Oh well! Has anyone heard from UNC yet?

Yeah got my rejection too in the form of a MAPH referral. 

I'm hoping in 14 days I'll have an acceptance under my belt...I'm feeling pretty good about it but we'll see. I'm mentally prepared for shutout if that happens.

Edited by klavierstucke

Guest barkin62

Thanks. I'm confused/angsty because Yale's basically the only place I haven't heard from, and I would've thought I'd either been interviewed or rejected by now. It'd just be nice to know what to expect.

It really bothers me how UChicago sends out MAPH referrals-they're just full-on preying on desperation to lure people into what's essentially a for-profit program. It's worth noting that UChicago's music department, from what I've heard, categorically does not accept their own MAPH students.

27 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Thanks. I'm confused/angsty because Yale's basically the only place I haven't heard from, and I would've thought I'd either been interviewed or rejected by now. It'd just be nice to know what to expect.

It really bothers me how UChicago sends out MAPH referrals-they're just full-on preying on desperation to lure people into what's essentially a for-profit program. It's worth noting that UChicago's music department, from what I've heard, categorically does not accept their own MAPH students.

Most programs in the US do not accept their musicology/theory masters students for the PhD — but MAPH can get good funding. I got very good packages from both MAPH and Northwestern masters programs my first go round. 

I think Yale might be done with interviews, although that was not explicitly said to me during mine. Only a mention that they are almost done. And again, Im a historical musicologist, so they may only have been referring to that. Rejections and WL are always slow to be released. 

Guest barkin62
26 minutes ago, Musica said:

Most programs in the US do not accept their musicology/theory masters students for the PhD — but MAPH can get good funding. I got very good packages from both MAPH and Northwestern masters programs my first go round. 

I think Yale might be done with interviews, although that was not explicitly said to me during mine. Only a mention that they are almost done. And again, Im a historical musicologist, so they may only have been referring to that. Rejections and WL are always slow to be released. 

I have two disagreements here. Half of Indiana's PhD theory students are their own masters alums, and that's perhaps the biggest terminal masters in theory in the US. MAPH also kinda advertises itself in terms of getting its own into UChicago, which it does for some non-music programs.

As for rejections/WL---going off hearsay I know that Indiana and Eastman have both released at least some rejections. I haven't heard from either, but I have friends who have been rejected from both (for the same programs I'm applying to). They also both flat-out rejected people they didn't invite to interview, in some cases before sending interview invites.

That said, yeah I'll bank on Yale being a no. Thanks for the info.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:14 AM, Musiking said:

Well that UChicago rejection came in with the app forwarded to the MAPH. Oh well! Has anyone heard from UNC yet?

A very expected rejection came my way from UChicago. I am an international applicant, with no TOEFL and I blew it at the interviews. It was the worst interview of my life...

From what it looks like to me the vast majority of MAPH students receive no/little aid (looks like half tuition at best for the applicants who demonstrate "exceptional academic promise"). Nothing near the full tuition remission+stipend+health insurance of PhD programs guaranteed for 4-6 years. I am not paying a single dime further on school so I won't bother with anything less. In any case, MAPH seems like an weird top-down way of forcing the music department to work with students they rejected. I imagine I would feel awkward hanging around, doing a masters thesis project, with a department that rejected me.

I was rejected from Eastman theory on Jan 12, (didn't get interview) musicology (1 week after an interview on Jan 23), and Indiana theory (1 week after oncampus interview). They've probably concluded their processes by now.

This coming week we are likely to hear acceptances from CUNY (at least for musicology), Harvard, and Princeton  if this applies to you.

Edited by klavierstucke

Guest barkin62
8 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

I was rejected from Eastman theory on Jan 12, (didn't get interview) musicology (1 week after an interview on Jan 23), and Indiana theory (1 week after oncampus interview). They've probably concluded their processes by now.

This coming week we are likely to hear acceptances from CUNY (at least for musicology), Harvard, and Princeton  if this applies to you.

I still haven't heard shit from Eastman or Indiana theory, which is odd.

CUNY's grad theory interviews are in a week, don't know if that says anything about musicology.

Btw which Indiana theory interview were you at? Did I meet you and not know it?! I think I at one point asked some people if they were on "the worst website on the internet," namely this one.

1 hour ago, barkin62 said:

I still haven't heard shit from Eastman or Indiana theory, which is odd.

CUNY's grad theory interviews are in a week, don't know if that says anything about musicology.

Btw which Indiana theory interview were you at? Did I meet you and not know it?! I think I at one point asked some people if they were on "the worst website on the internet," namely this one.

Yeah you asked me that, I remember you. I pretended I was unaware of the website to keep online/real life personas seperate???

Honestly I butchered that musicianship evaluation...

CUNY Musicology interview was last week and anticipating decisions this week.

Edited by klavierstucke

On 2/10/2019 at 1:53 AM, barkin62 said:

I have two disagreements here. Half of Indiana's PhD theory students are their own masters alums, and that's perhaps the biggest terminal masters in theory in the US. MAPH also kinda advertises itself in terms of getting its own into UChicago, which it does for some non-music programs.

As for rejections/WL---going off hearsay I know that Indiana and Eastman have both released at least some rejections. I haven't heard from either, but I have friends who have been rejected from both (for the same programs I'm applying to). They also both flat-out rejected people they didn't invite to interview, in some cases before sending interview invites.

That said, yeah I'll bank on Yale being a no. Thanks for the info.

Ahh interesting. I understood it to be like CUNY used to be, where you are accepted for the PhD but then they expect you to pay for the masters if you do not already have one. So not a true “terminal” masters. But that makes sense with the size of their program combined with public funding issues — safer. 

Fingers crossed on Yale and Columbia this week; Harvard is another possibility based on what I have heard, but between now and the end of next week seems almost for certain. 

Guest barkin62
1 hour ago, Musica said:

Fingers crossed on Yale and Columbia this week

In my Columbia interview last week I was told that their adcom meets this Wednesday and decisions are likely to be out very soon after, unless one of the disciplinary subcommittees is taking their time.

If this is relevant to anyone,   here's very general  dates acceptances are sent out for some musicology colleges:

Princeton  Feb 7-10

CUNY  Feb 9-15

Harvard   Feb 12-14

Penn   Feb 13-20

NYU   Feb 14-23

Yale   Feb 15-19

Columbia   Feb 19-29 (but seems like it will be this week?)

Brandeis   Mar 5-19

UCLA    Mar 5-20

Some more accurate ranges for this year could be inferred from how soon after interviews they typically inform acceptees . Sorry, I love making tables and charts and what not.

Also Columbia appears to do  musicology/theory separately correct?

Edited by klavierstucke

Guest barkin62
1 hour ago, klavierstucke said:

Also Columbia appears to do  musicology/theory separately correct?

They have separate subcommittees within the department, but it's a single department with a fixed amount of total slots across all disciplines.

21 minutes ago, musician94 said:

Hi all! 

Im back and just received an offer from Brown :) don’t recall seeing this on anyone’s list but just in case! 

Woahh congrats! I'm hoping to see a lot of good news from everyone on this forum the next couple weeks! ?

14 minutes ago, Musiking said:

I applied to UCSD and received a rejection (via email) yesterday morning I believe. 

May I ask for which discipline? I applied for musicology (or what they call Integrative Studies), and got neither a rejection nor an acceptance so far.... 

Edited by spianist