Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi¬†ūüėÉ

This is my first time posting on here. I have gotten a lot of useful information from here in the past so I figured I would give it a shot! I am currently finishing my Bachelor's degree in Sociology and will be graduating in December of this year. I had a lot of family issues when I was completing my Associate's degree at my community college, and this severely affected my GPA. It was far too low to apply to a Bachelor's program in Speech Pathology to start off. I decided to major in Sociology for my Bachelor's because it is a field that I am very passionate about and was easier to get into because I was part of the CAP program at my community college. I have gotten an A in every single course I have taken for my undergrad, besides 1 B, and have been able to raise my GPA tremendously. However, considering how competitive the very few programs are in California, I worry that I have slim chances in being accepted into grad school. My cummulative GPA is only a 3.1, and this will be the highest it can go, as I have calculated. My GPA at my cal-state University is a 3.9 and I am hoping that this will help me somewhat when being considered for grad schools. I'd like to stay in California and this is very important for me because I basically only have my sister for family and my 2 nephews who mean the world to me. 

That being said, I plan on applying to Master's programs for SLP at Cal state Fullerton, University of Redlands, Loma Linda, Cal state Long-Beach, and Cal baptist. Because my Bachelor's degree is in Sociology and not Speech Pathology, I understand that it will take me longer than others to complete my Master's degree. I want to weigh my options in getting into programs in California and also see which programs I will have a chance in getting accepted to, and also enjoy in the sense of being able to be satisfactorily prepared for the career. 

Do any of you have an undergrad degree in a different field and are currently in grad school for SLP or are soon applying? Any information/guidance would be greatly appreciated! 

As of now, Redlands University sounds appealing due to what I have heard about there faculty/program and also considering that the program would only take me about 2 1/2 years as opposed to at least 3. Loma Linda University is another school that I am very interested in because I have heard great things about the program and also their medical facility. The only issue is how expensive these 2 programs will cost. I am a waitress and live on my own so I will have to take out loans to pay for school, and I get worried thinking about being in so much debt. 

Sorry for the long post! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!¬†ūüėÖ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to University of Redlands for undergrad and have several friends attending for grad school! PM if you have any questions!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do a separate post-bacc program before applying for grad school you have a chance to further raise your cumulative GPA, giving you a better chance than applying to a 3-year program. Showing admissions committees that you can get As on CSD courses can help you a lot.

Post-bacc courses are also typically cheaper than taking pre-reqs through a grad program, and they're pretty easy to apply to. My undergrad degree is in Linguistics. I did a two-semester online post-bacc through Pacific University and really enjoyed it.

Edited by bibliophile222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my bachelor's in Kinesiology, and did an online post bacc program for a year! I wanted to stay in CA but it was so competitive that I only got accepted into an online out of state program. But I'm happy with where I'm at. 

My advice would probably do the post bacc, it's a lot cheaper than doing the additional classes needed when you're in a grad program. Also it's a great chance to show that you are serious about the field and aim for the best grades possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you apply to those programs without first completing a post bacc program?  Most schools require prerequisites to consider you a grad school applicant.  Half of the schools on your list do for sure.

You said you’re passionate about sociology is there a reason you’re choosing to not pursue that instead?

If you aren’t open to moving out of state, it could be a waste of money depending on how your gpa is calculated for each school.  

Not to discourage you but school is temporary and really not a long time at all!  I had a few friends not apply out of state and they unfortunately did not get in.  SoCal is especially competitive.  I’d at least apply out of state if you genuinely want to be an slp.  Nothing is forcing you to go but having that option is a great backup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello :) I have some insight into the process of applying to graduate school in California. I am attending CSUF this fall and was also accepted into CSULB. Did not get into Redlands but my best friend applied to Loma Linda and did not make it past the interview. Anyhow, I would suggest attending a CSU because of the opportunity for you to get the Cal Grant. It covers most of the tuition (about 3,000) a semester and you will get it if you got financial aid in your undergrad. Redlands is very expensive in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I went to Loma Linda for undergraduate and can say it's a great program. I believe you are done with the program in three years if you are interested in their Transitional Master's program. That being said, it is much pricier than other schools. I'm going to CSULB for my master's now and my total cost of attendance is a third of what it cost me to go to Loma Linda. Since prestige and all that doesn't really matter in our field, I would highly advise just seeking out the cheapest option that you have available. Apply everywhere, but I think cost is the highest priority when making choices between schools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I am an out of fielder myself. Due to life circumstances I have to stay in the Southern California area (I own a home, silly me!) so my options were reduced to: Transitional Masters Programs- of which there are two in SoCal: LLU and U of R, or go the post-bacc route. I know that for post-bacc there is Utah State University as an online program, and a lot of out of fielders I know went that route to get the degree or to raise there GPA's.

I was accepted at Redlands, and I do also share with you a great deal of anxiety when it comes to the finance aspect. As a grad PLUS at U of R I calculated I would need about $86k in loans JUST FOR TUITION. Since I am currently a working adult with bills, I would also need to have a cost of living loan, our circumstances may be different here on how much loans you would need. (Side note: I just calculated the online USU post-bacc would cost about $12k if you can complete it in 3 semesters and the five extra pre req courses through U of R as grad PLUS should add about $15k to the regular grad program tuition)

To me, I felt that if I could get in as a Transitional student, the extra cost for the one quarter, finishing in 2.5 years AND attending my top pick school would be worth it over adding another year of college courses. Loans and being cost effective after graduation are big issues that you should very carefully think over and talk about with loved ones. My husband and I discussed the loans and finances CONSTANTLY and he is on board with me pursuing my dream. Consider what you can afford, what your comfortable with committing to, and keep your focus on your goals! Hope this is helpful in some way... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 5:38 AM, bibliophile222 said:

If you do a separate post-bacc program before applying for grad school you have a chance to further raise your cumulative GPA, giving you a better chance than applying to a 3-year program. Showing admissions committees that you can get As on CSD courses can help you a lot.

Post-bacc courses are also typically cheaper than taking pre-reqs through a grad program, and they're pretty easy to apply to. My undergrad degree is in Linguistics. I did a two-semester online post-bacc through Pacific University and really enjoyed it.

I have looked into some post bacc programs however I worry that I will not be offered certain courses needed to apply to a Master's program. I know that a lot of Master's programs accept different prereqs, so I would like to find a post bacc program which ensures I will complete the necessary courses for a decent amount of graduate programs. Were you able to apply to a lot of graduate programs after completing the post bacc at Pacific University? 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:30 PM, katherinexo said:

I got my bachelor's in Kinesiology, and did an online post bacc program for a year! I wanted to stay in CA but it was so competitive that I only got accepted into an online out of state program. But I'm happy with where I'm at. 

My advice would probably do the post bacc, it's a lot cheaper than doing the additional classes needed when you're in a grad program. Also it's a great chance to show that you are serious about the field and aim for the best grades possible.

Thanks for the reply! Which online post bacc program are you attending? And do you know which graduate programs you will be able to apply to considering the prereqs that you will have completed at your school? 

On 8/8/2018 at 6:07 PM, Slowcheetah said:

Hello :) I have some insight into the process of applying to graduate school in California. I am attending CSUF this fall and was also accepted into CSULB. Did not get into Redlands but my best friend applied to Loma Linda and did not make it past the interview. Anyhow, I would suggest attending a CSU because of the opportunity for you to get the Cal Grant. It covers most of the tuition (about 3,000) a semester and you will get it if you got financial aid in your undergrad. Redlands is very expensive in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi! :) I'd love to get into cal state fullerton especially considering that the price would be relatively manageable. I will be applying to their "pathway to M.A" certificate program in october this year. If I am accepted I will be taking a year of prereqs for the master's program and then will apply to the M.A program after I finish all the courses. Did you complete your bachelor's in another field or was it also in comm disorders?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 5:43 PM, AngelSpeechie said:

Hello! I am an out of fielder myself. Due to life circumstances I have to stay in the Southern California area (I own a home, silly me!) so my options were reduced to: Transitional Masters Programs- of which there are two in SoCal: LLU and U of R, or go the post-bacc route. I know that for post-bacc there is Utah State University as an online program, and a lot of out of fielders I know went that route to get the degree or to raise there GPA's.

I was accepted at Redlands, and I do also share with you a great deal of anxiety when it comes to the finance aspect. As a grad PLUS at U of R I calculated I would need about $86k in loans JUST FOR TUITION. Since I am currently a working adult with bills, I would also need to have a cost of living loan, our circumstances may be different here on how much loans you would need. (Side note: I just calculated the online USU post-bacc would cost about $12k if you can complete it in 3 semesters and the five extra pre req courses through U of R as grad PLUS should add about $15k to the regular grad program tuition)

To me, I felt that if I could get in as a Transitional student, the extra cost for the one quarter, finishing in 2.5 years AND attending my top pick school would be worth it over adding another year of college courses. Loans and being cost effective after graduation are big issues that you should very carefully think over and talk about with loved ones. My husband and I discussed the loans and finances CONSTANTLY and he is on board with me pursuing my dream. Consider what you can afford, what your comfortable with committing to, and keep your focus on your goals! Hope this is helpful in some way... :)

 

Hi there!ūüėä I actually just recently attended an information session at University of Redlands for the transitional masters program! The school is very expensive, however, as you pointed out, it is something I feel I could deal with considering that I would be done with the program within 2.5- 3 years (If I take out loans of course). Considering that SLP's are in such high demand and the starting salaries are relatively high, I believe that entering the field earlier on will allow me to start building experience, and be able to start paying off my loans quicker. The longer it takes me to finish school, I inevitably am spending more money each year on books, tuition, parking, applications, rent, bills, etc. This is why U of R and Loma Linda were originally my top choices. That being said, after attending the information session at U of R, I was told¬†that the GRE scores are¬†needed to be accepted to the transitional program. Unfortunately I have not taken the GRE and it is now too late of notice for me to schedule the exam and have time to prepare for it before applying. I could have sworn that I read online that the GRE was only needed for the master's program and not the transitional but I guess I was mistaken¬†ūüėí¬†Did you submit GRE scores when you were admitted to the transitional program? What was your GPA if you don't mind me asking?¬†

I still plan on applying to Loma Linda University in October. GRE is not needed and I will have great LOR's and plan on proving my strengths in the personal essay which will hopefully make me stand out. It took me 8 years to finally go back to school and complete my associate's degree after having a lot of family issue's and only took me a year to finish my Bachelor's degree once I was accepted. I really want to get into a transitional program so I am able to just focus on completing my degree and really mastering the material without constantly being distracted with having to apply to new schools and stressing over if I am taking the right prereqs for other master's programs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.