Paying for a consultant / coach?

Has anyone ever used one of those paid consultants to help with their grad school applications? The ones that help you write your essays, get ready for interviews, etc? They're a little expensive, but I wonder if they are worth it? 

Has anyone used one? Any experiences to share? Thoughts? 

Personally, I didn't. I did have a few friends who paid people to read their personal statement, which I think is worth spending your money in. And investing in some GRE classes like Magoosh or Kaplan.

Other than that, I wouldn't hire a consultant. Try asking around for free advice about interviews :)

Generally, I don't like to pay for things I can do myself. That said, when I first started prepping for the GRE, I tried to do a free, DIY kind of thing. When I finally bit the proverbial bullet and paid for a class, it was SO UNDOUBTEDLY worth it. I'm not saying a consultant is the same thing, but I'm sure there are some advantages- especially if the pricing is not outrageous. 

Instead of a tutor, I bought one of Kaplan's GRE prep books, and once I became serious about it and studied long and hard, I improved my Quant score. I also had friends who were proficient at math who I could send my questions to. Additionally, I relied on Khan Academy videos, Magoosh, and a variety of YouTube videos to help me out.

In terms of the other aspects of application season-writing your personal statement, preparing for interviews, the whole nine yards-I think your professors are a huge asset. I went to professors who knew me well and who were honest with me about what schools I had a good shot at, read over my PS, etc. I also had a friend who went to a professor who only vaguely knew her, but who gave her completely un-biased opinions and advice-I wish I did that too! 

When it comes time to prep for interviews, I think that places like GradCafe and SLP-related blogs and websites have great field-specific tips, but some of the best advice I got came from those I knew who weren't affiliated with the field at all. I would do mock interviews on FaceTime with friends who gave me feedback on my body language/tone of voice, or speak to other parents and adults I knew who had great insights as well. 

I'm not saying that paid tutors, consultants, etc. DON'T help, but there are also plenty of free resources that can help as well!

Personally I would say it's not worth it. The only thing I spent money on preparation-wise was a GRE book but I didn't even use it, so it was kind of a waste of money. I think there are plenty of things you can do for free to help with the process, like having friends and family members whose opinions you respect read over your materials. The application process in itself is so expensive, I just wouldn't pay for anything more than you need to!

From past experience narrated by friend, consultancies do not really help much. They basically key in information that you give them. As for the essays, they mostly follow templates that they have - most universities would be able to recognize the exact consultancy each candidate comes from. 

Instead, it really helps to begin early and write out multiple iterations of your essays. Get your friends and professors to read through and give you comments! 

My husband hired someone to review his essays for medical school...out of the $500 it cost, there were only two pieces of editing advice that we really thought "wow, I didn't know that/looked at it that way before." All in all was it worth it? We don't think so. Stick with your professors and a person who isn't afraid to give you some tough love :) 

However, we both used Kaplan for my GRE prep and his MCAT prep... and it was the best decision ever. I got the score needed to get into my 1st choice grad program, and my husband scored in the 91st percentile with their course. So in regards to the tests, I highly suggest some form of coaching/tutoring/course/study plan (if that is a pain-point for you).