PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

5 hours ago, gloriaepi2019 said:

Congratulations!!!! Do you mind sharing your credentials? 

Hi Gloriaepi2019

Thanks so much!

MPH from Emory global health dept

3.8GPA, 168 Quant, 168 verbal, 4 writing 

5yrs post-MPH research experience in LMIC

Francophone and 3+ yrs living and working in Francophone Africa

Accepted JHU IH dept... Still waiting to hear from BU-health services, and CUNY Epi. Only applied to 3 schools - I admire everyone that applied to so many! So much work!

Best of luck to you and everyone else!

On 2/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, LSP said:

Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances and good luck to those who are waiting to hear back. Question to those who have heard back from the US schools: How much time are you given to respond to admission offers? (I'm curious about the differences in application / admission procedures between US and Canadian schools. I'm a Canadian student applying to Canadian schools.)

I got accepted to the University of Toronto, and have been asked to respond in 2 weeks. I also applied to McGill, but McGill informed me that results won't be available until mid-March, which seems pretty late compared to other Canadian and US schools.

I received an offer on Feb 1st and I have until April 15th to reply.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:59 PM, E.COLI said:

Is it true that they only admit 4 students out of 250 applicants? That's less than 5%... Berkeley has 13% so I think BU shouldn't be too different. Also thanks for letting us know about Berkeley and Columbia! I haven't heard anything from them either.

I got invited to BU visit day but cant go since I'll be out of the country.. I had a 20 min phone interview last week instead. Faculty said they have only 3 funded spots for health services..

8 hours ago, MMT2011 said:

I got invited to BU visit day but cant go since I'll be out of the country.. I had a 20 min phone interview last week instead. Faculty said they have only 3 funded spots for health services..

That's odd. I'm going to the BU Health Services Research PhD visit day on Friday and as much as I know from chatting with the program director, they guarantee to fund all students for 4 years (through grants or RAships). And he said that they expect 5-8 people to join the new cohort. 

Hey again everyone! 

Has anyone heard back from SBC at NYU? I've read someone here got invited to a prospective student day but it was for Health Policy and Management. It might be a silent rejection?

Congrats and sending good vibes for those of us still waiting :)

On 1/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, Epidemiology19 said:

Anyone receive funding info from UNC (epi)? I received my acceptance letter from the graduate school, and it said that funding info would be coming directly from the school

On 1/31/2019 at 12:33 AM, epidjyaku said:

I received my acceptance letter today too! Same as you, funding remains to be determined.

Hi, congrats! Would you guys mind sharing which track you were accepted to?

30 minutes ago, PHDHSR said:

Hello! Did someone hear back from Brown HSR? I went to their prospective day but hasn't heard anything back from them since then. I saw one admission on the results but I am not sure if Brown has sent out all their letters...

Hi, I'm the one who posted about getting into the Brown HSR program (I hadn't posted on the forum until now). I got an email from Amal Trivedi saying I was in and that the official letter would follow. I just got the official notification today, a decision letter via the website. I don't know if they email everyone they accept before sending official decisions, but I'm assuming I wasn't special. So I'm guessing if you haven't heard then it's not a great sign...sorry about that. I hope you have some good options!

On 2/11/2019 at 4:46 PM, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Hi, I'm the one who posted about getting into the Brown HSR program (I hadn't posted on the forum until now). I got an email from Amal Trivedi saying I was in and that the official letter would follow. I just got the official notification today, a decision letter via the website. I don't know if they email everyone they accept before sending official decisions, but I'm assuming I wasn't special. So I'm guessing if you haven't heard then it's not a great sign...sorry about that. I hope you have some good options!

Do you mind sharing your credentials? 

16 hours ago, Epidem2019 said:

No word yet, but their admitted students day is March 8, so hopefully soon! Looks like decisions from last year came out around the 3rd week of Feb, so hopefully within the next week. Best of luck!

I received a rejection from UCLA epi so far. So, no news from them is potentially good news for you guys!

On 2/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Nairel said:

Hey again everyone! 

Has anyone heard back from SBC at NYU? I've read someone here got invited to a prospective student day but it was for Health Policy and Management. It might be a silent rejection?

Congrats and sending good vibes for those of us still waiting :)

I'm interviewing with them on Friday but for HPM - it's an 8:30 am to 5 PM affair, so I think all depts are probably involved? 

So far for PhD epi

Rejections: UCLA, UW, University of Minnesota, Tufts (nutrition data science)

Admitted: UTHealth, GWU

Waiting on decision: UC Irvine (they are moving to a new school of public health), USC, NYU.

First time non-traditional applier... Didn't learn about how there was an accreditation system in public health until I submitted my apps.

13 hours ago, Behavioralscience said:

Do you mind sharing your credentials? 

Sure. 3.8 undergraduate GPA at Ivy league school, Sociology major (no masters), GRE 168 V, 166 Q, 5 AW.

Two years research in undergraduate, two co-author papers from undergraduate research, one first author poster at AcademyHealth, one co-author poster,  two years post-grad research experience in applied health services research. I've also done some political advocacy work in my free time around health care access and other related issues (don't know if it matters, but I mentioned it in my application and it came up in my interview). I think it also helped that they're familiar with the place where I work and the type of work that I've been involved in, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, ssy018 said:

Has anyone heard back from UCSD/SDSU joint doctoral program? I applied before the priority deadline and I still haven't heard back... :/

I received some updates. It seems like they have identified those that they want to accept, but haven't sent out notifications yet. 

57 minutes ago, theonewiththePhDapp said:

I received some updates. It seems like they have identified those that they want to accept, but haven't sent out notifications yet. 

:o how did you hear about this? Do you know when they will notify those that are accepted?

1 hour ago, ssy018 said:

:o how did you hear about this? Do you know when they will notify those that are accepted?

I asked about status of the review, but really didn't hear about timelines. :( So i'm anxiously waiting in the same boat as you!

Edited by theonewiththePhDapp