PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

23 hours ago, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Is anyone else having a difficult time making a final decision? I'm basically down to two schools, one of which has guaranteed funding for all five years (and a good stipend) and a couple professors I'd be interested in working with, while the other one I think is a better overall research fit but with two years guaranteed funding (although they say you'll get funding years 3 + 4, you just might have to TA/RA for it if you don't get a fellowship) and farther away from where my home base is (which could be good or bad...). It's a good problem to have, I know, I'm just terrible at making decisions, especially huge ones like these.

Have you been able to visit both schools or have a follow up conversation with POI or current students at each? Both sound like perfectly good options, even if the second school seems a bit riskier as far as funding goes. Personally, I would go with my gut here - you've clearly given it a lot of thought and weighed different pros and cons, so no matter what you're making an informed, reasonable decision. I'm sure you'd be successful at either program, but if you have the sense that one might be a better fit (even for more amorphous reasons like the vibe of the school), I'd go with that one. Good luck! 

14 hours ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

Have you been able to visit both schools or have a follow up conversation with POI or current students at each? Both sound like perfectly good options, even if the second school seems a bit riskier as far as funding goes. Personally, I would go with my gut here - you've clearly given it a lot of thought and weighed different pros and cons, so no matter what you're making an informed, reasonable decision. I'm sure you'd be successful at either program, but if you have the sense that one might be a better fit (even for more amorphous reasons like the vibe of the school), I'd go with that one. Good luck! 

Yes, I have visited both schools, probably had like 10-15 conversations with POIs, current faculty, students and alums in total between the two of them, so I think I've probably done as much research as I can without going over the top. I think it probably will come down to a gut instinct, like you said--just need to figure out how to interpret my instincts! It's a good thing I'm not going into decisions sciences haha

Starting to worry because I have not received funding information from my top school yet, and decision deadline is fast approaching. I have followed up a couple times the past weeks, but keep hearing that the information is still pending. Ahhhhh!

I think I'm going to wait until Friday to see if I hear back then ask some other programs I'm considering for an extension for reply. Or should I just ask now? If only this was an issue at a school that I wasn't as invested in. 

7 hours ago, theonewiththePhDapp said:

Starting to worry because I have not received funding information from my top school yet, and decision deadline is fast approaching. I have followed up a couple times the past weeks, but keep hearing that the information is still pending. Ahhhhh!

I think I'm going to wait until Friday to see if I hear back then ask some other programs I'm considering for an extension for reply. Or should I just ask now? If only this was an issue at a school that I wasn't as invested in. 

I'd ask for an extension! It can't hurt, and it's so close to the deadline that I think if you feel invested in the school for which you don't yet know about funding, it's totally worth it. Hopefully they can provide you with more information about funding before the 15th!

Anyone could give me some suggestion?  Thank you so much.

UMD (EPID)  vs. GWU (EPID), both with full funding, and faculty match is ok. 

Since they are both in the D.C. area, it is so hard to make a decision. 

Edited by PHApplicant

On 4/16/2019 at 11:54 AM, AtmChemEnvHealth said:

Programs are supposed to get back to you today if you're waitlisted, right? I still haven't heard anything from UMich EHS yet this week, and this was after they told me that they hoped to have a decision by last Monday. 

I think programs often get back to waitlisted applicants after the April 15th deadline - not sure how long it would take them to make final decisions about waitlisted candidates. I'm sorry Michigan didn't get back to you yet! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just found a note on my computer with this information all in one place and thought future applicants might find it useful: 

Brown BSHS

• Contacted POIs prior to application: yes
  • Interview invite: January 11
  • Interview: January 25, all day in person, met with 2 POIs and another prof individually 
  • Decision: accepted February 11, portal changed before email came
  • Funding: full

Pitt BCHS

• Contacted POIs prior to application: no
  • Interview invite: February 4
  • Interview: February 8, hour long phone interview with 2 POIs
  • Decision: accepted February 20 via email
  • Funding: none, said they would find full funding if I accepted offer

Yale SBS

• Interview invite: January 22
  • Interview: February 11, all day in person, met with every professor in the department individually 
  • Decision: waitlisted February 28, portal changed before email came 

Harvard PHS SBS:

• Decision: rejected February 7, email to login and receive rejection, no other contact with school

Michigan HBHE:

• Interview invite: January 22
  • Interview: February 4, 30 min video chat interview with 3 professors on adcom (not POIs)
  • Decision: accepted February 8 via email
  • Funding: full

Minnesota Epi:

• No interview 
  • Decision: first round acceptance January 15; formal acceptance March 27
  • Funding: partial

• 3 months later...

New to this site, heard about it from a fellow coworker who is in her DrPH program. 

I am looking to start applying for my Ph.D. program this fall. Looking to apply to three schools only, mostly because they have the program I like, as well as other perks. Additionally, they are in locations that benefit both me and my partner's careers.

If anyone has any advice on the application process, test scores (I need to submit GRE for all three), interview advice, it would all be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, sak91 said:

I am applying as well though I am not confident of my chances. I have a horrible undergraduate GPA (about a 2.6) but I did get my MPH and my GPA for that is a solid 3.8. I am going to apply to UMD, GW, and Hopkins (though this is a huge reach). I'm taking my GREs next month. I have solid experience and have published a handful of papers (no first author though). I've also presented at Academy Health conferences and APHA conference so that will hopefully help. Honestly I'll be shocked if I get in. I am just hoping that they see I am more than my undergrad grades. Do you think I should address the low GPA in my personal statement or just let it be? I did address it in my MPH application, which might have helped. Just not sure I should address it now since it is over 5 years ago at this point.

Hello - I might be on the same boat. Where did you end up applying?