PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

On 3/29/2019 at 8:05 PM, worldpeace said:

Any news on the funding from Columbia?? And for those who attended the admitted student day, could you please share your thoughts on their program and how it went?? 

I would like to second this. I was not able to go to the admitted student day. I have spoken to both students and faculty and it seems that funding is one of the biggest weaknesses of the school. Also, I have reached out to admin regarding funding but they seem to be generally unresponsive.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, hopiebopie said:

Mine changed to that as well! Still not sure what it means- do you have any updates? 

Checked with the admission office and told that I got rejected. Received an official mail after a week.

40 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

People have been posting their decisions here :) 

Thanks! Do people who are waiting to hear back from their first choice usually accept a different offer then back out once they get in? I'm on the waitlist and I'm trying to see if there is any hope for me haha

1 hour ago, ssy018 said:

Thanks! Do people who are waiting to hear back from their first choice usually accept a different offer then back out once they get in? I'm on the waitlist and I'm trying to see if there is any hope for me haha

I’m actually in a similar boat! Waitlisted for my number one, accepted elsewhere. I’ve reached out to the program I’ve been accepted to in order to ask for an extension on my decision deadline, which they gave me (May 15). I do know some people accept and then retract, but personally, if you can get the extension, I think that would be the better route.

Where are you waitlisted? If you don’t mind me asking! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

47 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

I’m actually in a similar boat! Waitlisted for my number one, accepted elsewhere. I’ve reached out to the program I’ve been accepted to in order to ask for an extension on my decision deadline, which they gave me (May 15). I do know some people accept and then retract, but personally, if you can get the extension, I think that would be the better route.

Where are you waitlisted? If you don’t mind me asking! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

I'm also in a similar situation! I didn't realize you could ask for a deadline extension...thanks for putting that info out there :) My understanding is that if you want to switch your official decision prior to April 15th (aka you accept at one school, then get off the waitlist before the 15th and want to accept that school instead), that's fine. Switching after the 15th is trickier and may potentially burn your bridges with that school. However, ultimately you have to do what's right for you! Fingers crossed that we can all get off the waitlists at our #1s

2 hours ago, epi_hopeful19 said:

I'm also in a similar situation! I didn't realize you could ask for a deadline extension...thanks for putting that info out there :) My understanding is that if you want to switch your official decision prior to April 15th (aka you accept at one school, then get off the waitlist before the 15th and want to accept that school instead), that's fine. Switching after the 15th is trickier and may potentially burn your bridges with that school. However, ultimately you have to do what's right for you! Fingers crossed that we can all get off the waitlists at our #1s

You’re very welcome! It’s not a guarantee that the school will give you the extension of course, but then in that case, you can always accept and then retract.

To be honest, I’m not sure what the nuances of retracting AFTER April 15 are... personally I feel like a retraction is a retraction regardless of when someone does it, and as long as it’s done politely and transparently, there shouldn’t be a reason for bridges to burn.

Good luck to you and your waitlist!

Edited by hopingforahailmary

Does anyone have suggestions on what to say to programs who are asking for updates on whether we will accept their offer?

I am waiting to hear back from one university regarding their funding offer, so I don't want to decide until after I have all the information. They are just taking a while to provide it. But I don't know what to tell other schools that are asking for a follow up.

49 minutes ago, theonewiththePhDapp said:

Does anyone have suggestions on what to say to programs who are asking for updates on whether we will accept their offer?

I am waiting to hear back from one university regarding their funding offer, so I don't want to decide until after I have all the information. They are just taking a while to provide it. But I don't know what to tell other schools that are asking for a follow up.

I think you say just that - you’re still considering their school, but you have another offer pending and don’t want to make a final decision until they come back. If they’ve given you until April 15, they can’t make you decide anything before then. All these schools have to know what a mess and a half it is between offers, funding, waitlists, and all of the other intricacies applicants have to figure out when all of these schools have different timelines but the same final decision date. As long as you’re polite and transparent, no reason not to be honest! :)

After 3 applications cycles, 14 applications, and 12 rejections, I am FINALLY going to my dream program! I got a call from JHU GDEC Friday afternoon and I received my acceptance letter/saw portal changes a few hours later. DREAMS COME TRUE LADIES AND GENTS YOU CAN MAKE IT OFF THE WAITLIST!

Seriously though, thank you to this forum for all of the support and well wishes. Congrats to all!!!

4 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

After 3 applications cycles, 14 applications, and 12 rejections, I am FINALLY going to my dream program! I got a call from JHU GDEC Friday afternoon and I received my acceptance letter/saw portal changes a few hours later. DREAMS COME TRUE LADIES AND GENTS YOU CAN MAKE IT OFF THE WAITLIST!

Seriously though, thank you to this forum for all of the support and well wishes. Congrats to all!!!

Big congrats!!!!!! 

13 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

Big congrats!!!!!! 

48 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Congrats! 

51 minutes ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Woo! Congratulations!!

6 hours ago, hopingforahailmary said:

Congrats! That's incredible!!

Is anyone else having a difficult time making a final decision? I'm basically down to two schools, one of which has guaranteed funding for all five years (and a good stipend) and a couple professors I'd be interested in working with, while the other one I think is a better overall research fit but with two years guaranteed funding (although they say you'll get funding years 3 + 4, you just might have to TA/RA for it if you don't get a fellowship) and farther away from where my home base is (which could be good or bad...). It's a good problem to have, I know, I'm just terrible at making decisions, especially huge ones like these.

9 hours ago, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Is anyone else having a difficult time making a final decision? I'm basically down to two schools, one of which has guaranteed funding for all five years (and a good stipend) and a couple professors I'd be interested in working with, while the other one I think is a better overall research fit but with two years guaranteed funding (although they say you'll get funding years 3 + 4, you just might have to TA/RA for it if you don't get a fellowship) and farther away from where my home base is (which could be good or bad...). It's a good problem to have, I know, I'm just terrible at making decisions, especially huge ones like these.

Personally, school #2 sounds like the better option. I think the research fit is the most important factor when deciding on a school. Plus, if the first two years' funding is guaranteed, that gives you time to figure out years 3 and 4. I've also never heard of anyone not having to TA/RA while in school, so that sounds pretty great if you can get a fellowship and then have the option to not do either of those if you didn't want to. Regardless of how far away, can you see yourself living in city #2 for 4/5 years?

Just my two cents, but I hope it was helpful! Good luck and congratulations!

11 hours ago, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Sorry to go counter the previous poster, but I would go with the first school. Personally, my number one concern is funding followed up closely by research alignment. I believe I read somewhere that only 50% of those who start a PhD finish it, and a lot of that has to do with the financial constraints, especially later in life. Also, I have heard that many people prolong their PhD due to other activities (TA, RA, etc.) that they need to complete that take time away from focusing on their thesis work. I think if your goal is to work outside of academia and you have professors at the first school who align with your research interests and seem to take an interest in you, go with them. Having a stipend, you are not forced to do an RA/TA ship and you can go all in on your thesis. If you want to go into academia, then the second decision might be better.

Additionally, being far from your homebase is something to consider. A PhD is a long journey and perhaps being closer to friends and family for emotional support may be helpful. For the second option, make sure that your quality of life will be good in this city because that can certainly affect your overall experience.

Just FYI, I am biased in my opinion because I was in a similar dilemma and chose the first option.

Edited by epidem35

2 minutes ago, epidem35 said:

Sorry to go counter the previous poster, but I would go with the first school. Personally, my number one concern is funding followed up closely by research alignment. I believe I read somewhere that only 50% of those who start a PhD finish it, and a lot of that has to do with the financial constraints, especially later in life. Also, I have heard that many people prolong their PhD due to other activities that they need to complete that takes time away from focusing on their thesis work (TA, RA, etc.). I think if your goal is to work outside of academia and you have professors at the first school who align with your research interests and seem to take an interest in you, go with them. Having a stipend, you are not forced to do an RA/TA ship and you can go all in on your thesis. If you want to go into academia, then the second decision might be better.

Additionally, being far from your homebase is something to consider. A PhD is a long journey and perhaps being closer to friends and family for emotional support may be helpful. For the second option, make sure that your quality of life will be good in this city because that can certainly affect your overall experience.

Just FYI, I am biased in my opinion because I was in a similar dilemma and chose the first option.

hey.. i know you got into Columbia, but which school did you commit to, if you don't mind me asking? 

Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

hey.. i know you got into Columbia, but which school did you commit to, if you don't mind me asking? 

Thanks! 

Sure! I chose the University of Toronto. They cover tuition and provide a stipend to all accepted students for up to five years. I believe all Canadian universities do this, if I'm not mistaken.

It would have been great to go to Columbia, however, with the funding situation there and living in NYC (I lived there before), I just didn't want to take the financial risk to go there. It was a similar situation with other U.S. universities I got accepted to.

1 minute ago, epidem35 said:

Sure! I chose the University of Toronto. They cover tuition and provide a stipend to all accepted students for up to five years. I believe all Canadian universities do this, if I'm not mistaken.

It would have been great to go to Columbia, however, with the funding situation there and living in NYC (I lived there before), I just didn't want to take the financial risk to go there. It was a similar situation with other U.S. universities I got accepted to.

UofT is a great school, and Toronto is just simply beautiful!

Best of luck!!!