PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

43 minutes ago, pubhealth2019 said:

HELP! I've gotten accepted to the MSPH-to-PhD program in Health Behavior at UNC and I'm thrilled! However, this was the only PhD program I applied to - all the others are Masters programs (I don't have any graduate degrees, just undergrad). I've been matched with an adviser and am feeling very overwhelmed because she wants to meet me in person tomorrow and I have no idea what to ask. I feel like I know everything there is to know about Masters programs but have no idea how to judge if this PhD program is right for me. 

So, what kinds of questions will you all ask of your potential advisers? How will you tackle that first meeting? A PhD is such a huge commitment - what questions will you ask to decide if that program is right for you? 

Thank you!

I would definitely make sure you have a good sense of the type of research she does. Beyond looking at your profile on the schools website, you want to read past manuscripts, or at least the abstracts given the time crunch. 

You are going to want to ask where your advisor sees their research going in the future, and how the PhD student would fit in that projected plan. Some advisors have specific hypotheses that they want their students to answer, while others want you to come up with their own. Are they advising any other PhD students, and would you guys work together or separately. They might also want to see what your end goals are. Are you looking to go into academia, or do governmental work, etc. This would help to mold directions your advisor wants you to take.

4 hours ago, CaribbeanFoodie said:

Does anyone have any idea about the taxes on stipends? I am an international student so don't know much about US tax. I've been accepted to U of M and am planning on accepting but would love to know how much of the $32,000 yearly stipend will be eaten up with tax??

https://smartasset.com/taxes/michigan-paycheck-calculator#xDd7Hl3ts4

Try the attached website!

4 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

Just got response from Yale and I have been waitlisted- was expecting a rejection since I wasn’t invited to interview, and not holding my breath. But still nicer than a straight out no I guess!

Also just got my waitlist notification. No email for me; just a portal update. 

I gotta admit, it's bringing me down a bit. 

14 minutes ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Has anyone heard from UCSF? I applied to the Global Health Sciences program. That is the last school I need to hear back from so I can make a decision. 

Also waiting to hear back. Interviewed with them in late January and they said they will try to let us know by the end of February (which is now!). I think they are scrambling for funding. If you hear anything let me know!

Just now, kertu said:

Also waiting to hear back. Interviewed with them in late January and they said they will try to let us know by the end of February (which is now!). I think they are scrambling for funding. If you hear anything let me know!

Okay great! That is what I thought. I am going to send them an email and see what the deal is. 

hi all! long time lurker here :) 

I was admitted to UCSF Epi PhD in early February with full tuition remission and stipend. I'm currently considering this offer but waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley before I finalize my decision.

I spoke to the grad coordinator for the Epi PhD dpt on Monday and she was very equivocal lol. In short she said that the "1st round" offers have been sent out and that she should be submitting the results to the graduate division today, so we might hear back tomorrow or Monday? Not sure if that means all of those first round offers were accepted...or if there is some kind of waitlist...?

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have more insight on whats going on at Berkeley!

3 minutes ago, hamba said:

hi all! long time lurker here :)

I was admitted to UCSF Epi PhD in early February with full tuition remission and stipend. I'm currently considering this offer but waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley before I finalize my decision.

I spoke to the grad coordinator for the Epi PhD dpt on Monday and she was very equivocal lol. In short she said that the "1st round" offers have been sent out and that she should be submitting the results to the graduate division today, so we might hear back tomorrow or Monday? Not sure if that means all of those first round offers were accepted...or if there is some kind of waitlist...?

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have more insight on whats going on at Berkeley!

I spoke with a POI yesterday. They said that they are going to admit me, and I should receive an offer letter in the next few days, which I am assuming means no later than early next week. So hopefully everyone will know soon!

7 minutes ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

I spoke with a POI yesterday. They said that they are going to admit me, and I should receive an offer letter in the next few days, which I am assuming means no later than early next week. So hopefully everyone will know soon!

Yay that's encouraging news! Just to make sure I understand, did you reach out to your POI for an update and that is when they told you about your admit status, or rather did they contact you? Just wondering if I should be contacting my POI as well..

Just now, hamba said:

Yay that's encouraging news! Just to make sure I understand, did you reach out to your POI for an update and that is when they told you about your admit status, or rather did they contact you? Just wondering if I should be contacting my POI as well..

They reached out to me, but I don't think it means anything if you haven't heard from anyone!

1 hour ago, epi3333 said:

@ASA15 @apex45

Have you heard anything from Un of Minnesota since you were told you'd moved to the 2nd stage of the admission?

Nope! I know my research doesn't align very well with what they do, so their silence isn't surprising to me. I don't expect to be fully admitted.

Does anyone have any sense of the likelihood of being accepted off of Yale's waitlist? I was pretty disappointed to be waitlisted (they were one of my top choices) and I know there's nothing I can do about it now...but I am trying to figure out if I still may have a shot. 

On 2/21/2019 at 12:09 AM, tryinnaaskquestions said:

I've seen it offered as part of the admissions letter, or post admission in a separate letter. Usually I'm guessing it's due to your research interest and admission standing being quite high. Here's an example of what a funding offer with admissions looks like:

offer.jpg

Sometimes you might have to ask your potential PIs to see if they would have a spot to support you as an RA, or if the department has a spot for TA. Assuming you're also able to get tuition waived.

I'm in the same boat, quite undecided on UTHealth due to the funding situation. Admitted to GW without funding either and now I will have to see if the PIs I want to work with can get me some type of funding and tuition assistance (unlikely). Hoping Irvine for me goes through with a funding package at least. 

Thanks for the reply! I also applied to UFL and UTH, and the UFL offered me a fully-funded position while UTH would require me to look for RAs/TAs myself. I also contacted a recent graduate from the UTH Ph.D. program and get to know that the Ph.D. mentor at UTH is not responsible for funding student and we need to find funding resources ourselves. I plan to start from the career service office to see whether any RAs/TAs are available. Thank you for the suggestion and have you decided which school to go to?

Hey everyone,

I applied to GWU for health policy phd. Their website states candidates will hear about interview invitations by late-February. I haven't heard anything yet and since it's March I'm a little nervous. Has anyone received any information regarding interviews from the GW health policy program? Thanks!

25 minutes ago, hopefulpolicyphd22 said:

Hey everyone,

I applied to GWU for health policy phd. Their website states candidates will hear about interview invitations by late-February. I haven't heard anything yet and since it's March I'm a little nervous. Has anyone received any information regarding interviews from the GW health policy program? Thanks!

Same! I haven't heard anything from their policy program either. 

On 2/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, epi3333 said:

@ASA15 @apex45

Have you heard anything from Un of Minnesota since you were told you'd moved to the 2nd stage of the admission?

I reached out twice- the first time (end of Jan) was told they were looking for advisor fit and it could take some time. Then last week I reached out again and was told they had identified an advisor who wanted to work with me and were finalizing funding, and I should hopefully hear back with an offer in the next few weeks.

45 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

Has anyone heard back from Columbia Epi after the interview?? 

Nope...