PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

23 hours ago, Epidem2019 said:

No word yet, but their admitted students day is March 8, so hopefully soon! Looks like decisions from last year came out around the 3rd week of Feb, so hopefully within the next week. Best of luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too. Is this admitted students day for graduate students? I didn't know about it until you mentioned it, and I googled it and it seems to be geared towards undergraduate students and their families. Am I simply getting the wrong impression?

6 hours ago, tryinnaaskquestions said:

So far for PhD epi

Rejections: UCLA, UW, University of Minnesota, Tufts (nutrition data science)

Admitted: UTHealth, GWU

Waiting on decision: UC Irvine (they are moving to a new school of public health), USC, NYU.

First time non-traditional applier... Didn't learn about how there was an accreditation system in public health until I submitted my apps.

Congrats! I was accepted to GWU epi as well. Hopefully they send out admit day/funding information soon.

Still waiting for the other decisions to roll in... I hate the waiting game.

6 hours ago, HSR_HPM2019 said:

Sure. 3.8 undergraduate GPA at Ivy league school, Sociology major (no masters), GRE 168 V, 166 Q, 5 AW.

Two years research in undergraduate, two co-author papers from undergraduate research, one first author poster at AcademyHealth, one co-author poster,  two years post-grad research experience in applied health services research. I've also done some political advocacy work in my free time around health care access and other related issues (don't know if it matters, but I mentioned it in my application and it came up in my interview). I think it also helped that they're familiar with the place where I work and the type of work that I've been involved in, but who knows. 

Your experience and stats are impressive. Thank you for sharing! A huge congratulations to you on the acceptance!

9 hours ago, CanadaPhDProspective said:

Me too!! Hi new friend! Will you be going to their student admit day on March 8th? 

Congrats! Do you know if you are going to matriculate yet?

I'm traveling for work in March so I plan on going to the April 5th day.

2 hours ago, epihope said:

Thanks, good luck to you too. Is this admitted students day for graduate students? I didn't know about it until you mentioned it, and I googled it and it seems to be geared towards undergraduate students and their families. Am I simply getting the wrong impression?

I believe it's for grad! I'm actually doing my masters there now and am scheduled to volunteer in another department! Hopefully I'll be able to be there as an attendee tho :)

2 hours ago, MMT2011 said:

Congrats! Do you know if you are going to matriculate yet?

I'm traveling for work in March so I plan on going to the April 5th day.

I just need to figure out funding but otherwise, I love everything about JHU so high chances that I'll matriculate. What about you? 

Currently looking into external funding just in case - anyone else has good resources for this? 

On 2/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, Epidem2019 said:

No word yet, but their admitted students day is March 8, so hopefully soon! Looks like decisions from last year came out around the 3rd week of Feb, so hopefully within the next week. Best of luck!

good luck!

@CanadaPhDProspective @MMT2011

During my interview with JHU (I'm in Epi though) I was told there's a admit students day in both March and April (5th, I think), and that those who were accepted would be able to pick their preferred date but that typically the one in March is mostly for Master's students, who get their decisions sooner, and the one in Apreil for PhD students.

54 minutes ago, epi3333 said:

During my interview with JHU (I'm in Epi though) I was told there's a admit students day in both March and April (5th, I think), and that those who were accepted would be able to pick their preferred date but that typically the one in March is mostly for Master's students, who get their decisions sooner, and the one in Apreil for PhD students.

Hi,

I am applying for the same program. Have you heard back from them yet?

20 minutes ago, epi3333 said:

No, not yet. Just checked the results section and it seems 2 ppl got their acceptances yesterday...

exactly, that drove me so anxious, but the Epi office said either late this afternoon or tomorrow. We will all know.

27 minutes ago, epi3333 said:

No, not yet. Just checked the results section and it seems 2 ppl got their acceptances yesterday...

If you're talking about JHU, after seeing in the results section that someone saw their decision through the application portal and I just checked on the portal myself and saw my decision (waitlisted for the SBS PhD ?‍♀️) even though I haven't received an email yet (website says the email should come in 24-48 hours). I'm not especially optimistic because I don't imagine that many people who got in won't accept, but we'll see. It's not a solid no, at least.

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Applied to 4 schools- 2 for PhD and 2 DrPH. Heard back from both PhD applications now (Brown- No, Hopkins- Waitlist) and now waiting to hear back from the 2 DrPHs. This year is 10 years since I finished my MPH and getting back into application mode has been QUITE the learning experience. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Jay1

On 2/11/2019 at 1:38 AM, MMT2011 said:

Hi Gloriaepi2019

Thanks so much!

MPH from Emory global health dept

3.8GPA, 168 Quant, 168 verbal, 4 writing 

5yrs post-MPH research experience in LMIC

Francophone and 3+ yrs living and working in Francophone Africa

Accepted JHU IH dept... Still waiting to hear from BU-health services, and CUNY Epi. Only applied to 3 schools - I admire everyone that applied to so many! So much work!

Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Thank you for sharing! I think your background is truly impressive. I applied 10, primarily because I don't think my background is strong enough. For a person whose background is as strong as you, I think three is more than enough. 

23 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

If you're talking about JHU, after seeing in the results section that someone saw their decision through the application portal and I just checked on the portal myself and saw my decision (waitlisted for the SBS PhD ?‍♀️) even though I haven't received an email yet (website says the email should come in 24-48 hours). I'm not especially optimistic because I don't imagine that many people who got in won't accept, but we'll see. It's not a solid no, at least.

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Applied to 4 schools- 2 for PhD and 2 DrPH. Heard back from both PhD applications now (Brown- No, Hopkins- Waitlist) and now waiting to hear back from the 2 DrPHs. This year is 10 years since I finished my MPH and getting back into application mode has been QUITE the learning experience. Good luck everyone!

Same here. I checked mine too, saying application sent for review. Let's hang in here. At least, we have tried our best. 

16 hours ago, eppydee said:

Congrats! I was accepted to GWU epi as well. Hopefully they send out admit day/funding information soon.

Still waiting for the other decisions to roll in... I hate the waiting game.

Hi there, I also get accepted to UT. I am wondering whether they mentioned anything regarding funding in the acceptance letter? 

4 minutes ago, littletwelve said:

Do you mind sharing what track are you applying for? 

Aging.

But one current PhD student in Epi told me the admission does not depend on the track for last year, they just admitted the top ones across the entire epi program. Not sure about this year.

4 minutes ago, YoYToT said:

Aging.

But one current PhD student in Epi told me the admission does not depend on the track for last year, they just admitted the top ones across the entire epi program. Not sure about this year.

I also heard the same thing from a PhD student who enrolled two years ago. I feel so nervous and anxious during this waiting period. 

Do you have any information about how many student they will accept this year? 

Good luck!

5 hours ago, littletwelve said:

I also heard the same thing from a PhD student who enrolled two years ago. I feel so nervous and anxious during this waiting period. 

Do you have any information about how many student they will accept this year? 

Good luck!

No, I don't . No news today. So tomorrow is the day!

Good luck to you too! 

13 hours ago, epi3333 said:

oh I wasn't told this at all! interesting.... I've already booked my tickets to Baltimore for March so March it is for me! Hopefully that will give me a better sense of the program and life in Balitmore sooner - so that I can make a decision sooner!

Has anyone heard back from UCLA epi? If you do have some information and do not mind to share, please tell me.  I didn't have any information after submitting the application. Given that UCLA isn't friendly to international students, especially who pursue PhD degree, I am really anxious as UCLA is my dream school.