Hi everyone! I'm curious to know if any Americans on here have decided to pursue doctoral studies in clinical psychology in the UK. If so, I'd love to hear more about your story (Were you able to practice in the UK afterward? Did you decide to go back to the US to practice instead? Did you have issues with either of those two routes work eligibility-wise? Etc.). Since this tends to be more of a unique case, "Americans hoping to study/practice clinical psychology in the UK" turns up some pretty murky Internet search results, so I'd love some insight. ?

• 1 year later...

You might get more responses if you elaborated a little more on why you are interested in doing it in the U.K.--is it purely logistical (e.g., British spouse who's getting transferred back home)? Or are you interested in settling down there long-term for your own reasons?

(I'm interested in doing a one-year M.A. in the London area [Brunel Psychiatric Anthropology or LSE Social & Cultural Psychology] because they're unique [and in English obviously] but not clinical.)

14 hours ago, StartingtheProcess83298353 said:

You might get more responses if you elaborated a little more on why you are interested in doing it in the U.K.--is it purely logistical (e.g., British spouse who's getting transferred back home)? Or are you interested in settling down there long-term for your own reasons?

(I'm interested in doing a one-year M.A. in the London area [Brunel Psychiatric Anthropology or LSE Social & Cultural Psychology] because they're unique [and in English obviously] but not clinical.)

I'm applying to a bunch of PhD programs in the US, but I also plan on applying to MA/MS programs in europe/Australia and I feel so lost in the process! Do you just apply normally as an international applicant, wait to hear back, AND THEN that's when you worry about Visa stuff? 

On 11/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Schy said:

I'm applying to a bunch of PhD programs in the US, but I also plan on applying to MA/MS programs in europe/Australia and I feel so lost in the process! Do you just apply normally as an international applicant, wait to hear back, AND THEN that's when you worry about Visa stuff? 

I haven't gotten that far in the process but I would look at each program online and see what they have to say (I can't imagine you would apply for a visa beforehand, but I could be wrong).