2019 Applications Thread

39 minutes ago, transrelativity said:

For my own sake I'm going to hope that's true :)

haha I think Penn does not interview ppl? based on my search and some hearsay from alumni. They do sent out decisions around mid Feb... let's see.. can I ask what's your research interest?

24 minutes ago, coffeeaddict2230 said:

haha I think Penn does not interview ppl? based on my search and some hearsay from alumni. They do sent out decisions around mid Feb... let's see.. can I ask what's your research interest?

I'm more on the media studies side. I plan to study gender codes and their transmission across political and cultural boundaries, especially masculinities, and especially between Japan and the USA. I'm interested in Penn because of their strong faculty in East Asian studies; I've done a few seminars and grant projects with their East Asia center. I don't know if I'm an especially strong applicant for their program, but we'll see.

How about you? I'd love to hear about your research interests.

Anyone apply for the PhD programs at the University of Utah, the University of New Mexico, or the University of South Florida? It looks like none of them notify until February, according to the postings from last year. Also, I've heard of some ~drama~ at UNM that is impacting their PhD students, so I'm curious what anyone else has heard. UNM has a weird program, to say the least, but it intrigues me assuming it's functional. 

Seems like this forum is pretty focused on the big name comm schools on the east coast and midwest, so curious to hear from people who didn't apply to those!

Edited by am707

4 hours ago, transrelativity said:

Oh wow, I must have missed that. You don't happen to have a link, do you?

When I searched before, it looked like there had been no interviews and then a bunch of decisions sent out on Feb 14, 2018. I could easily have missed something, though.

354328514_ScreenShot2019-01-27at3_52_39PM.thumb.png.7edfe9e131e33fff27f75856a888aa3b.png

just a screenshot. I also hope they don't have interviews this year

1 hour ago, am707 said:

Anyone apply for the PhD programs at the University of Utah, the University of New Mexico, or the University of South Florida? It looks like none of them notify until February, according to the postings from last year. Also, I've heard of some ~drama~ at UNM that is impacting their PhD students, so I'm curious what anyone else has heard. UNM has a weird program, to say the least, but it intrigues me assuming it's functional. 

Seems like this forum is pretty focused on the big name comm schools on the east coast and midwest, so curious to hear from people who didn't apply to those!

I applied to CU Boulder (Media Studies), University of Arizona, UCSB, and a couple of other interdisciplinary programs.

8 hours ago, transrelativity said:

I'm more on the media studies side. I plan to study gender codes and their transmission across political and cultural boundaries, especially masculinities, and especially between Japan and the USA. I'm interested in Penn because of their strong faculty in East Asian studies; I've done a few seminars and grant projects with their East Asia center. I don't know if I'm an especially strong applicant for their program, but we'll see.

How about you? I'd love to hear about your research interests.

i hv a more old-school interest :) probably political comm, public opinion in the influence of technology. I am also very interested in gender studies!! and masculinities!!! hope one day we can hv FtF discussion

16 hours ago, andyischaos said:

354328514_ScreenShot2019-01-27at3_52_39PM.thumb.png.7edfe9e131e33fff27f75856a888aa3b.png

just a screenshot. I also hope they don't have interviews this year

Ooh yeah, I must have missed that one. 

I suppose it's possible that they interview some, but not all, folks they're considering. At Temple, for example, I know I wasn't interviewed because when I visited my POI over the summer to talk about the program and get advice on my application, she basically considered it an interview; there was nothing more she needed to ask. That's quite different to the UPenn situation I'm sure, but it's possible that they only reach out if they need more information. In any case, that's what I choose to believe!

10 hours ago, coffeeaddict2230 said:

i hv a more old-school interest :) probably political comm, public opinion in the influence of technology. I am also very interested in gender studies!! and masculinities!!! hope one day we can hv FtF discussion

Yes, I hope so too! I admit I come to comm from the humanities side; my MA is in English literature. I'm excited to shift my disciplinary focus more towards the social sciences, but I'll always have lit crit roots. :)

On 1/25/2019 at 1:34 PM, transrelativity said:

Temple is really my top choice because there's a scholar there whose work aligns so well with my own, and they also have infrastructure abroad that could potentially support my research. I'm planning to study gender codes in media, especially transnational transmission, with a focus on Japanese constructions of masculinity. Temple Tokyo could be a great asset when I'm planning my field study!

I feel worn out as well. I was working on the UD essays (they asked for two) last weekend, and it was a real struggle -- and that's not counting their required video essay, which I haven't started. I feel a small sense of responsibility to finish the application because (a) my recommenders already sent their letters and (b) the head of the UD grad department emailed and encouraged me to finish by the deadline. However, there aren't any faculty members at UD who work on both gender and Japan, and my contact at Temple is kinda my dream adviser. I'm starting to feel like struggling through the video essay (while also preparing for the Drexel interview) is not a good use of my time.

What are your research interests? I'd love to hear about your potential project.

Did you end up struggling through the UD essay this weekend?

I feel I know who your person of interest at Temple is because I'd like them on my committee as well (although not as my main) ?. I am interested in transgender representation in video games/popular culture. If I do get in at Temple then I want to focus on representation in video games.

Your research interest sounds very cool! Gender is one of my "things" that really gets me when it comes to research. I love studying it and constructions of masculinity/femininity as well. 

2 minutes ago, jmc117 said:

Did you end up struggling through the UD essay this weekend?

I feel I know who your person of interest at Temple is because I'd like them on my committee as well (although not as my main) ?. I am interested in transgender representation in video games/popular culture. If I do get in at Temple then I want to focus on representation in video games.

Your research interest sounds very cool! Gender is one of my "things" that really gets me when it comes to research. I love studying it and constructions of masculinity/femininity as well. 

I hope we can meet and talk about your work! I am transgender myself, and though my research focus is on masculinity more broadly, I'm always interested in seeing how trans folks are represented in the media. I've often thought about studying the ways trans folks present themselves in online gaming -- avatar choice, engagement or disengagement in voice chat, ways of typing, emoji use or non-use, stuff like that. I'm hoping to do a paper on that at some point, though it won't be the focus of my diss.

I didn't end up finishing the UD essays, although they are mostly done from my last big push two weeks ago. I haven't done the video essay at all. I may yet, because the application isn't due until Friday, but I also have a lot of other deadlines on Friday that I'm juggling -- my tenure statement for work, a bio for a talk I'm giving in Feb, and preparing for the Drexel interview. If I magically get all of that done and have time yet, maybe I'll manage UD.

19 hours ago, p287 said:

I applied to CU Boulder (Media Studies), University of Arizona, UCSB, and a couple of other interdisciplinary programs.

I applied to UCSB too! Are you going to the open house? I really wanted to apply to CU but the require a master’s. Good luck!

Thanks! Then the admissions will be more unpredictable :unsure: I applied to UMich also, still waiting for the results.

I was also wondering if anyone here has applied to UW-Madison. There are several interviews reported on this forum last week, but I did not receive anything... Considering the number of enrollment each year I still hope there's a chance...

3 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I applied to UCSB too! Are you going to the open house? I really wanted to apply to CU but the require a master’s. Good luck!

I have not heard from UCSB yet, so I am assuming rejection... but still hoping for wait list. It was not as good of a fit as some of my other schools, but I think it still would be a great place for me.

12 hours ago, uless said:

Thanks! Then the admissions will be more unpredictable :unsure: I applied to UMich also, still waiting for the results.

I was also wondering if anyone here has applied to UW-Madison. There are several interviews reported on this forum last week, but I did not receive anything... Considering the number of enrollment each year I still hope there's a chance...

I applied to UW-Madison (mass communication) and did not receive anything too.. Do they normally do more than one round for admission? 

57 minutes ago, Please100 said:

I applied to UW-Madison (mass communication) and did not receive anything too.. Do they normally do more than one round for admission? 

Perhaps (and I wish) they do ... Good luck! 

On 1/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, transrelativity said:

I hope we can meet and talk about your work! I am transgender myself, and though my research focus is on masculinity more broadly, I'm always interested in seeing how trans folks are represented in the media. I've often thought about studying the ways trans folks present themselves in online gaming -- avatar choice, engagement or disengagement in voice chat, ways of typing, emoji use or non-use, stuff like that. I'm hoping to do a paper on that at some point, though it won't be the focus of my diss.

I didn't end up finishing the UD essays, although they are mostly done from my last big push two weeks ago. I haven't done the video essay at all. I may yet, because the application isn't due until Friday, but I also have a lot of other deadlines on Friday that I'm juggling -- my tenure statement for work, a bio for a talk I'm giving in Feb, and preparing for the Drexel interview. If I magically get all of that done and have time yet, maybe I'll manage UD.

That would be great! Trans too here. Ou that would be an interesting research topic! I'd be very interested to see the results of that-and to speak with trans gamers and hear what they have to say. It would be a very cool project. It will be so nice when the results are in and we all know where we stand...this waiting is killer and it's not even Feb!

21 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

If anyone is wondering about the University of Michigan, they do not interview before making their decisions.

Ugh. So we wait. For some reason I was expect them to be one of the interview schools. Guess not ?

10 hours ago, Please100 said:

21 hours ago, p287 said:

I have not heard from UCSB yet, so I am assuming rejection... but still hoping for wait list. It was not as good of a fit as some of my other schools, but I think it still would be a great place for me.

Hi there! I received an email contact last week from them and scheduled a short meeting with me. I thought it's an interview but actually they told me their admission decision via skype.

22 minutes ago, coffeeeveryday said:

Hi there! I received an email contact last week from them and scheduled a short meeting with me. I thought it's an interview but actually they told me their admission decision via skype.

Hi, which school is this? Wisconsin or UCSB? My open house invite from UCSB said that decisions would be made shortly after the open house, so I didn’t think they would admit anyone before then.

5 hours ago, jmc117 said:

That would be great! Trans too here. Ou that would be an interesting research topic! I'd be very interested to see the results of that-and to speak with trans gamers and hear what they have to say. It would be a very cool project. It will be so nice when the results are in and we all know where we stand...this waiting is killer and it's not even Feb!

I'm so happy to meet more trans academics! Really glad we connected here!

I was honestly expecting decisions to come much later, like in February or March. I definitely was not expecting to hear anything in January. Is it common for comm programs to decide this early? I assumed it would take longer to read all of our personal statements and writing samples and such.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:44 AM, Mirotu said:

Can anyone claim the UT Austin Media Studies interview invite?  It doesn't seem like they have done interviews in the past...

That was me! Was told that they're doing some interviews with a few people, and expect to make decisions by mid-Feb.