2019 Applications Thread

Hi all,

This is probably a tad early to start this thread as the 2018 one seems to have just recently wrapped up, but I can't be the only one here who's already started this process, right?! Plus, I figure reading everyone's replies will motivate me to send that e-mail or make that edit to my CV that I've been putting off :) 

Anywho, here is my list-in-progress: Temple University, UCSD, University of Minnesota (considering for both Comm and Asian Languages, Cultures, and Media), IU-Bloomington, Penn State, UMass-Amherst, USC, UC-Boulder

I have my MA in Mass Comm and I'm primarily looking at programs with a strong media/cultural studies emphasis. Anyone else out there interested in popular culture and/or international communication?

Hey everyone!

Hopefully this thread will keep me on track as well!  I am currently in a Media Studies MA program at UT Austin and looking to go to a similar PhD program.  My research interests are representations of race and gender in contemporary television, audience and reception studies, and the performance of identity on online platforms (mostly Twitter).  My kind of secondary interests are celebrity and star studies and fan studies.

Right now I am definitely applying to UT Austin, Wisconsin Madison, USC, UC Santa Barbara, Northwestern, and the University of Iowa.  For right now Minnesota and UC Irvine are maybes.  

Currently trying to gather as much info on programs and seek advice from the faculty in my dept.  Also looking to apply to another conference and shape a paper up to be sent to a journal (fingers crossed)!

Hi everyone!

I am in a dual MA Media Studies / GradCert Media Management program at The New School in NYC. My primary research interest is in the role of media in the construction of ethics and identity. I'm an interdisciplinary student with hopes of developing a practical application for my research as part of my dissertation.

CU Boulder is definitely my top choice, both due to faculty research and the program's interdisciplinary nature. University of Oregon and UT Austin are also on my list. California schools are not great options for me due to my husband's job, although we'd make it work if it was absolutely the right program. I'm open to suggestions.

Regarding my current progress: I have been in touch with faculty at a couple of schools. I just started studying for the GRE, which was not required for my MA program. And I have been in touch with a prof at my current school for some guidance on my application. Now making a list of potential LOR writers, and debating whether a professional reference would be acceptable or not.

Hi! I'm applying for communications/media studies for fall 2019 -- although I come from a non-traditional background. I did my undergrad in dramatic literature/English at the University of Florida, but I've been working for 10 years. 

I'm applying to USC Annenberg, UPenn Annenberg, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Washington, NYU Steinhardt, and Drexel. I'm specifically hoping to study culture and communication with a focus on marketing via new media. I'm a little terrified of the process since I'm not "an academic" (although I should have been in academia my whole life -- teaching at the university level is basically all I've wanted to do since I was a kid). Currently in the process of drafting my writing sample and statement of purpose AND working GRE prep...

Hey!

I am applying for museum studies with a concentration in collections management for spring 2019. I did my undergrad in art history at Virginia Tech and took some time off to work and save money in order to further my education. 

So far I have only applied to George Washington University, but thinking of maybe trying to find a "back up." I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket but I already love the DC area and its a prime environment for the program's required internship. I am meeting with the department head in August to discuss the program and my career goals -- according to her email. 

My application is pretty much complete except for one letter of recommendation, which has been a nightmare to deal with, and taking the GRE over again... need to really get my verbal score up so here's to hoping for that...

@kaithewriter Hey, I did my MA at University of Florida! :) Go Gators! Did you take classes or work with Marsha Bryant while you were there, by any chance?? She was on my thesis committee!

I'm in a similar boat because I am also working right now. It's difficult to balance application prep with a full time job.. which is why I gave myself two years out of school instead of one. I'm also trying to debate whether or not I should include a professional reference, since I work in an academic department at a university. Based on what I've read so far it seems best practice is to make sure all of your references can speak to your abilities as a researcher, so professional references could work depending on the context. I also think if you've been out of school for a while it's better to have someone who knows you and your work ethic well as opposed to someone you haven't worked with in a long time.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also applying for Fall 2019. My undergraduate studies was in Mass Communication but now I want to study Advertising.

I am considering UT Austin, Boston University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and University of Alabama. If there are other schools I can apply to, please tell me.

I am yet to start any application. I am still preparing to write the GRE in October. UT Austin's application deadline is December 1, and I am all shades of worried.

• 3 months later...

Hello all. I'm assuming most people have submitted the majority of their applications by this point. As far as I know the only schools with deadlines still out are Rutgers, NCSU and Wisconsin-Madison. I did my undergrad in Rhetoric, and my Master's in English, but I concentrated on critical media studies in both degrees and I've recognized pretty clearly that my research will fit best in a communication department with a cultural studies emphasis. My top choices are USC, UPenn, Duke (I applied to their Literature department, which has a New Media bent) and Brown's Modern Culture and Media program. I'm here like the rest of you, clenching my entire body with nervousness and so trying to release some of the anticipation with communal sharing.

Best of luck to everyone who has applied. Maybe we'll meet each other face-to-face in the coming months. 

Hi all,

I also applied to U of Penn in Communication PhD. My other applications went off to U of Mich, Laurier, Western, York (Comm and Gender/Women/Feminist program), and working on Concordia. Anyone else applying to any of these?

Best of luck to everyone in their application process!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone shed light on the preponderance of interviews in this field? I was under the impression that Humanities-tending disciplines didn’t do them, but after browsing some it seems like a lot of Communications PhD programs do indeed hold interviews with prospectives. Anyone care to confirm this with specific schools or share experiences?

2 hours ago, Dares said:

Can anyone shed light on the preponderance of interviews in this field? I was under the impression that Humanities-tending disciplines didn’t do them, but after browsing some it seems like a lot of Communications PhD programs do indeed hold interviews with prospectives. Anyone care to confirm this with specific schools or share experiences?

UC Santa Barbara (PhD Communication) has an open house type weekend for shortlisted applicants (I hear they typically invite 15 applicants and extend offers to 10-12).

CU Boulder (PhD Media Studies) told me that they do not do interviews.

Hi all, I am also applying for 2019 Fall. My interests are sort of broad...and I worry a lot if that will be a disadvantage for my application.. anyway, I m looking for programs focusing on the intersection of technology & political comm, public opinion, and gender-related issues. I applied northwestern / usc  /cornell / michigan / osu / ut austin, all pretty nice schools. If I am not admitted by any one of them, I think I will just work, haha.

Will appreciate a lot if somebody can share any interview notices. best luck to all.

@Dares I don't believe so, at least previous year threads mention that the POIs in each area (rhetoric, media, comm science) will send out their own interview invites so that they can really be scattered throughout this month.  It looks like some people had invites as late as the 24th or 25th of January.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:33 PM, RoMiTu said:

Congrats to whoever posted the Wisconsin-Madison (media) interview invite!

Hey, please can you show me where the post is? I haven't seen any at least in this forum. I have also applied to Wisconsin-Madison and several other schools, and UWM is really one of my dream schools. Wish us all good luck!!!

So far I've got an online interview scheduled with UNC-Chapel Hill soon, and they actually mentioned in admission instructions that there would be on-site interviews for US applicants and online ones for international applicants (my category).  

I think I will have my finger crossed and keep stress eating through January. Anyone joining the team? :P

On 1/12/2019 at 4:36 PM, coffeeaddict2230 said:

Hi all, I am also applying for 2019 Fall. My interests are sort of broad...and I worry a lot if that will be a disadvantage for my application.. anyway, I m looking for programs focusing on the intersection of technology & political comm, public opinion, and gender-related issues. I applied northwestern / usc  /cornell / michigan / osu / ut austin, all pretty nice schools. If I am not admitted by any one of them, I think I will just work, haha.

Will appreciate a lot if somebody can share any interview notices. best luck to all.

just got my first offer from OSU, good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, coffeeaddict2230 said:

just got my first offer from OSU, good luck everyone!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your profile? Also, was there an interview? I applied for OSU too and haven't heard back!

@coffeeaddict2230 Congratulation!First offer report here this year! Looking forward to seeing more from others... and myself of course!

Just curious, I seriously considered OSU but didn't apply eventually because their language requirements for international students are very high, (28 in TOEFL Speaking). I assume from your location that you may also need a TOEFL score to get in? Is it true that you need such a high score to get in? - Ignore me if it is not relevant.

@emmafriday I got 27 in speaking and that's why they only guarantee first year's funding. After passing some sort of oral efficiency course and test, they will give me additional three years of funding. I guess that's because public universities generally have tighter requirements on that

Edited by coffeeaddict2230