2019 Applications Thread

Along the lines of "I saw decisions but didn't see mine...": does anyone know what's going on with USC Annenberg? I saw acceptances last friday and wait lists today. Wondering if I should start making assumptions about rejection since I haven't gotten any notifications at all...

Every time my email dings I panic a little, because, you know. This time it was an email from the gardening website I frequent with the header "with POTATOES, the possibilities are endless!!" Needless to say, I feel a little silly... no news today.

44 minutes ago, kaithewriter said:

Along the lines of "I saw decisions but didn't see mine...": does anyone know what's going on with USC Annenberg? I saw acceptances last friday and wait lists today. Wondering if I should start making assumptions about rejection since I haven't gotten any notifications at all...

I can claim one of the waitlists for USC Annenberg! 

I also called them last week and they told me that all decisions should be sent out by the end of this week, so I imagine there's more to come!

On 1/30/2019 at 8:43 AM, chavezye said:

Hey y'all, sorry to join so late. I interviewed with Cornell a week ago and just got an email yesterday saying I'm on the waitlist for now. They said they had to be more conservative this year on offers due to limited resources in the department. So fingers crossed, that would be a really great opportunity. 

I'm kinda an odd one out just FYI, I have a Master in Public Health but looking to cross over into Comm, specifically Health Comm, so it could have helped me or hurt my chances.  I also applied to Public Health PhDs too, so I could be anywhere next year.

I also applied to Utah as my partner is out there finishing her PhD in Political Science, it looks like next week we should hear back from them.

19 Fall Communication/Public Health PhD application

Applied: Utah (Comm) / Cornell (Comm) / Maryland (Comm) / Michigan State (Comm) / Johns Hopkins (PH) / South Carolina (PH) / North Carolina (PH) / Harvard (PH) / Vanderbilt (Other)

Interviewed: Maryland / Cornell

Waitlist: Cornell

Accepted: South Carolina

Rejected: Johns Hopkins (Presumed, friend applied to same program and got an interview invitation)

Hey I see you applied for Maryland! I am waiting for their decision. I didn't get an interview though, so I am kind of concerned. Do they interview everyone? I have a 4.0 on my undergrad and a 4.0 on my Master's. Good Verbal GRE and not so good Quantitative. Good recommendation letters, lots of teaching experience, but no publications/conferences. How competitive is the Communications PhD program at Maryland? Do you know when they'll send out offers? Feel free to email me.. fjf9208@louisiana.edu

7 minutes ago, fjf2019 said:

Hey I see you applied for Maryland! I am waiting for their decision. I didn't get an interview though, so I am kind of concerned. Do they interview everyone? I have a 4.0 on my undergrad and a 4.0 on my Master's. Good Verbal GRE and not so good Quantitative. Good recommendation letters, lots of teaching experience, but no publications/conferences. How competitive is the Communications PhD program at Maryland? Do you know when they'll send out offers? Feel free to email me.. fjf9208@louisiana.edu

Hey @fjf2019 I did apply and interview with Maryland about two weeks ago. I'm not 100% sure if they interview everyone, I thought it was kinda crazy that I got an interview so quickly after I applied (since their deadline was Jan 7th). I've heard the Maryland Comm PhD is pretty competitive.

All the Comm programs I've applied to (from what I've heard from them and the grapevine [other students, faculty, etc]) have said they have more limited resources this year to make offers. Not sure if they are planning for an economic recession, and maybe are just trying to be preemptive for that. I think Maryland should be making decisions soon as UPenn and some of the other top programs should be making final decisions soon. 

7 minutes ago, chavezye said:

Hey @fjf2019 I did apply and interview with Maryland about two weeks ago. I'm not 100% sure if they interview everyone, I thought it was kinda crazy that I got an interview so quickly after I applied (since their deadline was Jan 7th). I've heard the Maryland Comm PhD is pretty competitive.

All the Comm programs I've applied to (from what I've heard from them and the grapevine [other students, faculty, etc]) have said they have more limited resources this year to make offers. Not sure if they are planning for an economic recession, and maybe are just trying to be preemptive for that. I think Maryland should be making decisions soon as UPenn and some of the other top programs should be making final decisions soon. 

hey! Congrats on your acceptance! Just want to check it out, you already heard from Cornell right?

4 minutes ago, coffeeaddict2230 said:

hey! Congrats on your acceptance! Just want to check it out, you already heard from Cornell right?

I am on the waitlist for Cornell (and Utah) as of now. Only acceptance is at University of South Carolina School of Public Health, but with great faculty who have Health Comm expertise, so I am happy for that!

One of my potential advisors wrote me a pretty long detailed email about the process and told me to seriously hold on, that he's "hopeful" a spot will open up for me. What just sucks is that he told me any other year, I probably would have gotten an outright offer, but this year they had to seriously be more conservative with offers. So again, I'm really hoping haha (Help me baby Jesus)

dear-lord-baby-jesus.jpg

16 hours ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Is it a bad thing to call schools to ask about decision timelines? I don't want to seem like I'm being nosy and impatient, buttttt I'm nosy and impatient. 

I don't think it's bad at all, also they don't ask who's calling in my experience so even if they think it's nosy they won't know it's you! ?

13 minutes ago, sluggerotoole said:

I don't think it's bad at all, also they don't ask who's calling in my experience so even if they think it's nosy they won't know it's you! ?

Honestly, that was my biggest concern, so thanks! 

What's the usual Canadian timeline, @jmc117? Do you expect to hear in February, or more like March?

Today I got my first funding offer! Rutgers offered me $25k/yr plus tuition, fees, and medical for four years, with no teaching requirement in the first year. I am over the moon! This also takes a bit of the sting out of the presumed rejection at Drexel, heh.

To those still waiting to hear back: stay strong! Good things are coming your way!

Apparently Mid to late March is the "norm"  @transrelativity. Bleh bleh bleh

I am hoping my 2 American schools give me an answer soon so I can stop being so impatient haha.

That's great!!! Sounds like a great offer. Was Rutgers your first choice?

35 minutes ago, jmc117 said:

Apparently Mid to late March is the "norm"  @transrelativity. Bleh bleh bleh

I am hoping my 2 American schools give me an answer soon so I can stop being so impatient haha.

That's great!!! Sounds like a great offer. Was Rutgers your first choice?

Hm, I'm not sure I would say Rutgers is my first choice. All other things being equal, Temple has more targeted resources and may be a better fit for my research. That being said, funding is a very important factor for me, and the Rutgers offer is excellent! I was not expecting to be offered a non-teaching fellowship, and that's extremely valuable in my situation.

Ouch, March is a long time to wait. I hope you hear back soon from the American options! I'm definitely rooting for you!

12 hours ago, chavezye said:

I am on the waitlist for Cornell (and Utah) as of now. Only acceptance is at University of South Carolina School of Public Health, but with great faculty who have Health Comm expertise, so I am happy for that!

One of my potential advisors wrote me a pretty long detailed email about the process and told me to seriously hold on, that he's "hopeful" a spot will open up for me. What just sucks is that he told me any other year, I probably would have gotten an outright offer, but this year they had to seriously be more conservative with offers. So again, I'm really hoping haha (Help me baby Jesus)

dear-lord-baby-jesus.jpg

yeah, the funding & spots do vary year by year, I believe you'll get it!!! Fingers crossed

17 hours ago, transrelativity said:

Hm, I'm not sure I would say Rutgers is my first choice. All other things being equal, Temple has more targeted resources and may be a better fit for my research. That being said, funding is a very important factor for me, and the Rutgers offer is excellent! I was not expecting to be offered a non-teaching fellowship, and that's extremely valuable in my situation.

Ouch, March is a long time to wait. I hope you hear back soon from the American options! I'm definitely rooting for you!

Ou sounds like you have some choices to make! Tough decisions, tough decisions. Rooting for you as well, and super happy you are getting offers. Are you still waiting to hear from Temple about funding? 

Yes it is ? I am trying to limit the amount of times I check the different portals daily and keep myself busy...lol

23 hours ago, chavezye said:

Hey would you mind letting me know when Maryland gives you an answer? It's driving me insane... 

5 hours ago, jmc117 said:

Ou sounds like you have some choices to make! Tough decisions, tough decisions. Rooting for you as well, and super happy you are getting offers. Are you still waiting to hear from Temple about funding? 

Yes it is ? I am trying to limit the amount of times I check the different portals daily and keep myself busy...lol

Yes, still waiting on a funding offer from Temple. I'm getting more anxious about it now that I've heard from Rutgers. I also haven't seen any other Temple acceptances on the results page, so maybe they'll do the funding along with the main batch of notifications. I hope it'll be soon!

Today I saw someone get waitlisted at Drexel, but I've still heard nothing. The portal still says no decision has been made. Sounds like a hard pass, but I wish they'd just tell me and put me out of my misery.

I know what you mean about trying to limit the checks. I've had GradCafe open in two separate browser tabs for the last week or two, and it's making it hard to get work done!

Waitlisted at UT Austin yesterday and just now rejected from UW Madison (with an exceptionally kind personal email, but still)--what a rough week. Is anyone else here going to Northwestern's Comm interview visit the weekend after next? I was feeling good about it, but being rejected after an interview I thought went well has be a bit on edge. 

2 minutes ago, transrelativity said:

Sorry to hear about the UW Madison result, @halcyonday. I'm sure your interview did go really well -- if they took the time to send you such a kind email, it means they really liked you. Don't let it knock you off your game for the next one.

Thanks for your kind words!

Not an hour later I got an acceptance from UCSD--today is really whiplash! I honestly can't believe it--I've never been further west than South Dakota and they're flying me out for an open house!

2 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Thanks for your kind words!

Not an hour later I got an acceptance from UCSD--today is really whiplash! I honestly can't believe it--I've never been further west than South Dakota and they're flying me out for an open house!

That's fabulous news! CONGRATS on the acceptance!!!

On 1/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, ceruleanpeach said:

Anyone waiting for Kentucky, Unv. of Tennesee, Unv. of Florida, Florida State, or Alabama? 

Bummed how slow the boards are this time around, ha! ?

I told myself I would not fall into the anxious waiting and checking emails/boards 20 times a day this early in the cycle, but here we are! 

I'm waiting for Florida State!  After I sent in my application on January 8th, I got an email that they would review my application shortly and I could expect to hear back in the coming weeks.  It's been a month now, and I'm super anxious/ checking my email every 30 mins.