MFA Directing 2019- Let's Connect

Odysseus24601

On 2/9/2019 at 6:50 PM, Tintintheegg said:

Break a leg! I bet the finances will work out. If you can, will you let me know what you thought of the program after you interview? 

Absolutely! My interview/audition is on March 9. They're doing one-on-one interviews with everyone and then there will be a group workshop. I'm nervous as heck.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:50 PM, ManderLemon said:

Absolutely! My interview/audition is on March 9. They're doing one-on-one interviews with everyone and then there will be a group workshop. I'm nervous as heck.

Have fun at SLC, @ManderLemon. Refreshingly, the workshop is far more focused on process than on product and at the interview everyone was super laid back and kind. Be prepared for some disorganization, have clothes you can move in and bring your own lunch on Saturday. Nothing to stress about, hope you have a good time!

Hi, all!  I'm applying for MFA Directing programs, and am wondering if any of you know people in the programs at Brooklyn, U. of Alabama, or Texas State.  I'd love to hear about experiences in these programs.  I know U. of A. no longer has any formal affiliation with the Alabama Shakes Fest, but is there any ill will between that theatre and the MFA program?  Thinking if I go, I want to try to set up some observerships, etc. with ASF.  

Also, I'm in my 40s, and I interviewed with one program that seemed like a fantastic fit, but I wasn't even one of the finalists.  I'm wondering if it was because of my age.  Anyone else have experiences like that?  

Good luck, everyone!  

On 2/13/2019 at 2:49 PM, NJChicago said:

Hey all! Longtime lurker. First time poster. I have a callback at Yale on February 24th. Still haven't heard anything from UCSD... seems like everyone is still waiting.

@NJChicago how did Yale go? What did they ask you or have you do? 

My interview at Sarah Lawrence this past weekend went so well. Everything that I observed about the program was really awesome, especially if you're interested in creating your own work! Should hear from them next week!

On 2/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, kalysias said:

Hi, all!  I'm applying for MFA Directing programs, and am wondering if any of you know people in the programs at Brooklyn, U. of Alabama, or Texas State.  I'd love to hear about experiences in these programs.  I know U. of A. no longer has any formal affiliation with the Alabama Shakes Fest, but is there any ill will between that theatre and the MFA program?  Thinking if I go, I want to try to set up some observerships, etc. with ASF.  

Also, I'm in my 40s, and I interviewed with one program that seemed like a fantastic fit, but I wasn't even one of the finalists.  I'm wondering if it was because of my age.  Anyone else have experiences like that?  

Good luck, everyone!  

@kalysias I’m in my mid 30’s and al though I always felt like the oldest of every other candidate, I can tell you that MOST of the currently enrolled MFAs I have met have been at LEAST my age. I don’t think age should be something of concern here.

I got into Sarah Lawrence! Received an email from the head of the department today saying that I should get some more official information from the school in the next few days. Curious to see how the financial aid will work!

On 3/5/2019 at 8:18 AM, ctbck said:

@NJChicago how did Yale go? What did they ask you or have you do? 

I got in and will be attending in the fall! Happy to talk through the whole process with those who are interested, but the short version is this:

I applied December 1 deadline.

Invited to interview in late December (they asked you to prep a "dream project" and come prepared to pitch it --- but that was new this year)

Interviewed in Chicago mid-January -- I got to drive this interview, which was great. I first showed Yura examples of my work and talked about my process through them. He asked thoughtful questions, some which were general ("Why Yale when you're already making work?") some which were provocative ("How did actors of color respond to playing white men in your production?" and further explorations of that question). I pitched my 'dream project' and it got torn apart. I asked a lot of questions that I thought would help me improve for next year. Yura said I wouldn't hear anything either way until early February. I stumbled out after 2 hours, when the interview was supposed to last 45 minutes (this is unusual -- not a positive or negative sign either way).

Received callback invite in early February via phone. A week later, they provided me with travel information and the 4 scenes to I choose from.

Arrived in New Haven in late February. Was there for about 24 hours total. They were very generous -- the hotel we were put up in was great and they got me and one other callback a car from the Hartford airport. Met a bunch of other directors that night.

The next morning, I woke up, went to the callback, introduced myself to the two actors downstairs and went upstairs to direct. The directing itself was fine (don't remember most of it) and then they grilled me on my choices for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Not sure I have any advice to offer except the obvious: they want to see who you are, and the most successful moments of my experience were when I was behaving authentically and eager to engage in a conversation about my work.

Happy applying to all of you, this year and next -- and I am happy to help in any way! Lurking here made me feel less alone -- so I'm happy to give back!

• 3 weeks later...

Y'all, I'm excited to be the lone incoming MFA Directing student at the University of Alabama.  Annie Levy, the head of directing there, is an intellectual powerhouse, and I'll get to direct four fully supported productions of my own choosing.  It's also a program that covers full tuition and has a generous stipend, and the strawberries are already ripe in Alabama!  I'm excited to see Susan Strohman's remount of her Broadway show "The Scottsboro Boys" in Alabama next year and get to know the cool work at the Alabama Shakespeare Fest.  

11 hours ago, kalysias said:

Y'all, I'm excited to be the lone incoming MFA Directing student at the University of Alabama.  Annie Levy, the head of directing there, is an intellectual powerhouse, and I'll get to direct four fully supported productions of my own choosing.  It's also a program that covers full tuition and has a generous stipend, and the strawberries are already ripe in Alabama!  I'm excited to see Susan Strohman's remount of her Broadway show "The Scottsboro Boys" in Alabama next year and get to know the cool work at the Alabama Shakespeare Fest.  

Congratulations!