University of Pittsburgh MSW Fall 2019

doctormelody

@bloome, did you receive a letter in the mail in addition to the notification online? And if so, did it say anything about a deadline to enroll/put down a deposit or anything about when scholarships would be awarded? I'm thinking of calling today to ask a couple questions but I don't want to annoy them if that info is already in the mail on its way to me...

I applied around the same time as you both and didn’t receive any email notification so decided to check the application portal—found out I was accepted as well! Unfortunately, the portal didn’t have any info on fin aid or when we need to secure our enrollment.

21 minutes ago, ML878 said:

I applied around the same time as you both and didn’t receive any email notification so decided to check the application portal—found out I was accepted as well! Unfortunately, the portal didn’t have any info on fin aid or when we need to secure our enrollment.

That’s so awesome, congratulations! Yeah, I’m hoping there’ll be more info in the mail. If I do end up calling them I’ll report back here. Probably gonna give it a few days, though - I was accepted less than a week ago, after all.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:32 AM, doctormelody said:

@bloome, did you receive a letter in the mail in addition to the notification online? And if so, did it say anything about a deadline to enroll/put down a deposit or anything about when scholarships would be awarded? I'm thinking of calling today to ask a couple questions but I don't want to annoy them if that info is already in the mail on its way to me...

yes! i actually got two in the mail. One saying im admitted but need to complete my stats requirement, and then once that got sorted out, another saying im completely admitted and meet all requirements. Nothing with any details about financial stuff though. The letter was very generic just saying like congrats youre in, you have until March 31st to confirm and thats about it. 

11 hours ago, bloome said:

yes! i actually got two in the mail. One saying im admitted but need to complete my stats requirement, and then once that got sorted out, another saying im completely admitted and meet all requirements. Nothing with any details about financial stuff though. The letter was very generic just saying like congrats youre in, you have until March 31st to confirm and thats about it. 

Thanks so much, that’s very helpful! I think scholarship info won’t get sent out until February based on past threads, but I may call and ask just to make sure.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, doctormelody said:

That’s so awesome, congratulations! Yeah, I’m hoping there’ll be more info in the mail. If I do end up calling them I’ll report back here. Probably gonna give it a few days, though - I was accepted less than a week ago, after all.

Thank you!! If you do end up reaching out and getting info on fin aid decisions, please let us know! I am anxiously waiting for these packages. UMich sent a preliminary one (no merit scholarships included yet) and I was shocked at the $$. I knew how much it would cost, but man to see it in front of me....

57 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Thank you!! If you do end up reaching out and getting info on fin aid decisions, please let us know! I am anxiously waiting for these packages. UMich sent a preliminary one (no merit scholarships included yet) and I was shocked at the $$. I knew how much it would cost, but man to see it in front of me....

Will do! And yeah, I know, it is staggering. I hope we all get the scholarships we need to make it happen!

24 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Will do! And yeah, I know, it is staggering. I hope we all get the scholarships we need to make it happen!

I actually just received my acceptance in the mail and it had info on merit scholarships. I was awarded $12,000 in total for the year. I haven’t checked last year’s thread to see if this is the average amount or not. While I’m thankful I received something, as an out of state applicant, that still leaves more than half I’d have to pay out of pocket. The numbers seem really daunting. Has anyone else received numbers yet?

26 minutes ago, ML878 said:

I actually just received my acceptance in the mail and it had info on merit scholarships. I was awarded $12,000 in total for the year. I haven’t checked last year’s thread to see if this is the average amount or not. While I’m thankful I received something, as an out of state applicant, that still leaves more than half I’d have to pay out of pocket. The numbers seem really daunting. Has anyone else received numbers yet?

Wow, that’s surprising! Last year they didn’t send that info out until much later. Congrats! I think 12,000 is average-high for them. I haven’t but hopefully I will get that letter in the mail soon... and yeah, it’s still a lot, especially as an out-of-state student.

52 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Also @ML878, when did you submit your FAFSA? I’m worried mine may be delayed because I just submitted the FAFSA a couple days ago. ?

Thanks! I guess I was hoping for at least half to be covered, but maybe that was to much to hope for. I submitted mine really early, around November or so (just to get it out of the way!) Maybe that’s why I got the info so early!

10 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Thanks! I guess I was hoping for at least half to be covered, but maybe that was to much to hope for. I submitted mine really early, around November or so (just to get it out of the way!) Maybe that’s why I got the info so early!

Gotcha, and when did you submit the application, if you don’t mind me asking? It’s possible, but also, maybe they are just doing things differently this year. I wouldn’t complain if that was the case - I don’t want to wait until February for the info!

43 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha, and when did you submit the application, if you don’t mind me asking? It’s possible, but also, maybe they are just doing things differently this year. I wouldn’t complain if that was the case - I don’t want to wait until February for the info!

I submitted my application around Dec 22!

10 minutes ago, ML878 said:

I submitted my application around Dec 22!

Gotcha, thanks! Man, now that I know I might not have to wait until February for scholarship info, I want to call them so much! Oh, one more question - do you know what date you were actually accepted? It should say on the ApplyYourself portal, I think... just wondering how much of a wait I should expect between the online decision and the physical letter. It's already been a week (and I actually live in Pittsburgh!), which according to last year's thread is typical for them but still makes me anxious because everything makes me anxious, haha. Totally understand if you don't feel like checking, though. I should probably attempt to rein in my obsessive tendencies just a bit.

Edited by doctormelody

I emailed someone at the university today to ask a couple questions, but I was too scared to ask about when the scholarship info will be sent out. They also haven’t responded yet so my anxiety is through the roof. Ugh. I can’t believe I was considering putting myself through this process again. Twice is bad enough.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:43 PM, doctormelody said:

Gotcha, thanks! Man, now that I know I might not have to wait until February for scholarship info, I want to call them so much! Oh, one more question - do you know what date you were actually accepted? It should say on the ApplyYourself portal, I think... just wondering how much of a wait I should expect between the online decision and the physical letter. It's already been a week (and I actually live in Pittsburgh!), which according to last year's thread is typical for them but still makes me anxious because everything makes me anxious, haha. Totally understand if you don't feel like checking, though. I should probably attempt to rein in my obsessive tendencies just a bit.

I was accepted 1/9 but only got the physical letter on 1/17 (I’m also based in NY, if that helps to put it in context!) And in terms of my GPA/stats, I graduated with a 3.8 in psychology and sociology. Since graduating, I’ve been working for the past 3 years at a policy research firm so in my statement, I talked about the macro perspective I would bring. Though actually I’m interested in direcr practice so it’s somewhat of a career switch for me. I’ve been interested in social work for awhile though (and have a decently long history of volunteering and interning with non profits on a range of social issues, but mainly working with low income families) so it’s more like I’m returning to my roots :) . Hope this helps!

14 minutes ago, ML878 said:

I was accepted 1/9 but only got the physical letter on 1/17 (I’m also based in NY, if that helps to put it in context!) And in terms of my GPA/stats, I graduated with a 3.8 in psychology and sociology. Since graduating, I’ve been working for the past 3 years at a policy research firm so in my statement, I talked about the macro perspective I would bring. Though actually I’m interested in direcr practice so it’s somewhat of a career switch for me. I’ve been interested in social work for awhile though (and have a decently long history of volunteering and interning with non profits on a range of social issues, but mainly working with low income families) so it’s more like I’m returning to my roots :) . Hope this helps!

Gotcha, thanks so much! You sound like a great candidate, I’m not surprised you got a good scholarship (for Pitt) and I’m sure you’ll have many more offers to choose from in the coming weeks/months! ☺️

9 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha, thanks so much! You sound like a great candidate, I’m not surprised you got a good scholarship (for Pitt) and I’m sure you’ll have many more offers to choose from in the coming weeks/months! ☺️

Thank you! I really hope Pitt works out for you and you get your scholarship information soon!!! I know it’s so hard to wait, but it’s out of our hands and even if we worry, it won’t change the results! Or at least, that’s what I keep telling myself haha 

1 hour ago, ML878 said:

Thank you! I really hope Pitt works out for you and you get your scholarship information soon!!! I know it’s so hard to wait, but it’s out of our hands and even if we worry, it won’t change the results! Or at least, that’s what I keep telling myself haha 

Thank you so much!! That is very true. I think I’m gonna try and stay away from Grad Cafe the rest of the weekend... we’ll see how I do, haha.

Just received my letter in the mail with details of my merit award, such as it is... I only received $4,000 a year. I’ve never seen an offer that low on here and I’m honestly almost embarrassed to post this. I knew I should have worked harder on my essay. Although it could also be due to my lack of experience... my GPA is fine (3.5), so I doubt it’s that. I don’t know if Pitt is doable for me with this scholarship. I’m so sad.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, doctormelody said:

Just received my letter in the mail with details of my merit award, such as it is... I only received $4,000 a year. I’ve never seen an offer that low on here and I’m honestly almost embarrassed to post this. I knew I should have worked harder on my essay. Although it could also be due to my lack of experience... my GPA is fine (3.5), so I doubt it’s that. I don’t know if Pitt is doable for me with this scholarship. I’m so sad.

I’m sorry you didn’t get the offer you were hoping for. I know it must feel really disappointing. From the other thread, it seems like you’re still planning on accepting the offer? Are you going to try asking them for more?  

4 hours ago, ML878 said:

I’m sorry you didn’t get the offer you were hoping for. I know it must feel really disappointing. From the other thread, it seems like you’re still planning on accepting the offer? Are you going to try asking them for more?  

Thank you. And honestly I don't know what my plan is. I'm definitely going to ask them if there might be any need-based aid available later in the season, but I am not sure how to go about negotiating without any offers from other schools. If anyone has any advice on this point, I'd be grateful.

Lol so I just got off the phone with someone at Pitt and they said point-blank that there will be no need-based aid awarded for the fall semester, to anyone. I also asked them if there was any room for negotiation on the amount of my merit award and they said no, absolutely not. It’s apparently determined by a formula and is based on GPA, years of experience in the field, and I think Americorps? Idk, that last part didn’t make sense to me and it’s possible I heard it wrong but by that point I was too upset to ask for clarification. The person I spoke to seemed kind of borderline affronted throughout the entire conversation, as if it was beneath her to be answering my questions. Idk, I’m probably overreacting but I’m just upset at the bad news and confused as to what I did to deserve being treated like that. Ugh.

Edited by doctormelody

1 minute ago, doctormelody said:

Lol so I just got off the phone with someone at Pitt and they said point-blank that there will be no need-based aid awarded for the fall semester, to anyone. I also asked them if there was any room for negotiation on the amount of my merit award and they said no, absolutely not. It’s apparently determined by a formula and is based on GPA, years of experience in the field, and I think Americorps? Idk, that last part didn’t make sense to me and it’s possible I heard it wrong but by that point I was too upset to ask for clarification. The person I spoke to seemed kind of borderline affronted throughout the entire conversation, as if it was beneath her to be answering my questions. Idk, I’m probably overreacting but I’m just upset at the bad news and confused as to what I did to deserve being treated like that. Ugh.

It makes no sense to me how a university would not give need-based aid. They can't expect people to attend a university they can not afford and that kind of aid exists for a reason. Perhaps too many people applied for the guaranteed admit deadline and they ran out of funds?