University of Pittsburgh MSW Fall 2019

doctormelody

7 minutes ago, A.E.S said:

It makes no sense to me how a university would not give need-based aid. They can't expect people to attend a university they can not afford and that kind of aid exists for a reason. Perhaps too many people applied for the guaranteed admit deadline and they ran out of funds? 

Yeah, to be blunt, I think they just have no money? From what the person I just spoke with said it seems like they generally only give merit-based aid, and only if you apply by the deadline. Then if they have some money left over they will award it as need-based aid but the person I spoke with said that that was an “an exceptionally rare circumstance,” and it definitely won’t be happening for the fall term.

Edited by doctormelody

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

@A.E.S But yes, I agree with you and I am definitely upset about it, lol.

I only applied to MSW/PhD programs and was only going to keep theirs as a consideration if I don't get in any doctoral programs but I'm not sure if that's financially reasonable anymore. I still haven't received my acceptance but I applied for guaranteed admit so I hope my funding is.... decent. This is mildly stressful to say the least. I think next year they need to move the guaranteed admit date earlier to provide more funding. 

26 minutes ago, A.E.S said:

I only applied to MSW/PhD programs and was only going to keep theirs as a consideration if I don't get in any doctoral programs but I'm not sure if that's financially reasonable anymore. I still haven't received my acceptance but I applied for guaranteed admit so I hope my funding is.... decent. This is mildly stressful to say the least. I think next year they need to move the guaranteed admit date earlier to provide more funding. 

Oh yeah, maybe you'll hear back later because of the PhD component? I hope you get better news than me! If you're a PhD applicant you probably have a strong GPA and experience, right? My GPA is only 3.5 and I have zero experience in the field so I think that's what tanked it for me.

Edited by doctormelody

11 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Oh yeah, maybe you'll hear back later because of the PhD component? I hope you get better news than me! If you're a PhD applicant you probably have a strong GPA and experience, right? My GPA is only 3.5 and I have zero experience in the field so I think that's what tanked it for me.

I'm hoping I hear back separately but I have no idea. I would call but with so few applicants I do not want to seem pushy I suppose. I can't say my stats are strong but 3.72 overall GPA, 4.0 social work GPA, and I've worked on a few research projects, two of which are published. However, I'm in my last semester of undergrad so my only experience is research and the (required) internship. Your GPA is still good and I imagine not everyone has experienced before applying. I do know that a lot of people getting their MSW are in the 30s or 40s returning for a degree but there are still a ton of people who are coming straight from undergrad or worked for a few years between degrees.

I know I've seen you feeling pretty down about your funding offer but as you said, they probably don't have a lot of money. I think a TON of people applied this year and that makes it difficult to give impressive financial packages to 300+ (? I think that's their class size) people. It's just the decision we have to make about how much we are willing to take out in loans. I'm trying really hard to get fully funded though lol

19 minutes ago, a.s. said:

I'm hoping I hear back separately but I have no idea. I would call but with so few applicants I do not want to seem pushy I suppose. I can't say my stats are strong but 3.72 overall GPA, 4.0 social work GPA, and I've worked on a few research projects, two of which are published. However, I'm in my last semester of undergrad so my only experience is research and the (required) internship. Your GPA is still good and I imagine not everyone has experienced before applying. I do know that a lot of people getting their MSW are in the 30s or 40s returning for a degree but there are still a ton of people who are coming straight from undergrad or worked for a few years between degrees.

I know I've seen you feeling pretty down about your funding offer but as you said, they probably don't have a lot of money. I think a TON of people applied this year and that makes it difficult to give impressive financial packages to 300+ (? I think that's their class size) people. It's just the decision we have to make about how much we are willing to take out in loans. I'm trying really hard to get fully funded though lol

So few applicants for the PhD, you mean? I think those are great stats! I'm sure having those publications to your name will help a lot. 

Yeah, I'm just disappointed but I probably shouldn't take it personally. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of people applied. There were like 50 or 60 people at the info session I went to on a freezing cold Saturday morning in December, so if that's a useful barometer then I'd say interest was high, at least.

I hope you get in for the PhD and get fully funded! And who knows, maybe I'll see you there. I was gonna say maybe we will be classmates but I take it you are Advanced Standing, so probably not. Ah well. Where else did you apply?

Just now, doctormelody said:

So few applicants for the PhD, you mean? I think those are great stats! I'm sure having those publications to your name will help a lot. 

Yeah, I'm just disappointed but I probably shouldn't take it personally. I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of people applied. There were like 50 or 60 people at the info session I went to on a freezing cold Saturday morning in December, so if that's a useful barometer then I'd say interest was high, at least.

I hope you get in for the PhD and get fully funded! And who knows, maybe I'll see you there. I was gonna say maybe we will be classmates but I take it you are Advanced Standing, so probably not. Ah well. Where else did you apply?

Yeah they take like 6-8 PhD students and I imagine only 1 or 2 of those can be MSW/PhD so I don't think too many people apply. But I imagine 500-600 applied for the MSW at the very least.

I actually planned on going to the info session but I had to be at the University of Michigan two days later and the plane costs made me nervous. That is a lot of people to be at an info session especially with it being during December but maybe a lot of them did like you and moved for the in-state tuition. 

Two year and advanced standing potentially could be the same, I'm not too sure. I'm trying to not look too into any one program so I don't get into a place I don't go to. But I did select the COSA Concentration, did you select that or direct practice?

I also applied to the University of Michigan, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, University at Buffalo (SUNY), and University at Albany (SUNY). I am almost guaranteed to not get U of M due to some drama their department is having with the other department the second degree is in. And apparently, the SUNY's have a reputation of not being impressive so a lot of people say it's embarrassing to go there. I don't care about reputation as long as I get a quality education and good experience. 

9 minutes ago, a.s. said:

Yeah they take like 6-8 PhD students and I imagine only 1 or 2 of those can be MSW/PhD so I don't think too many people apply. But I imagine 500-600 applied for the MSW at the very least.

I actually planned on going to the info session but I had to be at the University of Michigan two days later and the plane costs made me nervous. That is a lot of people to be at an info session especially with it being during December but maybe a lot of them did like you and moved for the in-state tuition. 

Two year and advanced standing potentially could be the same, I'm not too sure. I'm trying to not look too into any one program so I don't get into a place I don't go to. But I did select the COSA Concentration, did you select that or direct practice?

I also applied to the University of Michigan, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, University at Buffalo (SUNY), and University at Albany (SUNY). I am almost guaranteed to not get U of M due to some drama their department is having with the other department the second degree is in. And apparently, the SUNY's have a reputation of not being impressive so a lot of people say it's embarrassing to go there. I don't care about reputation as long as I get a quality education and good experience. 

That makes sense. And Advanced Standing is if you have a BSW, I think - it's a one year program, or a year and a summer semester, or something. I selected Direct Practice.

Lol, academic departments and drama go together like peanut butter and jelly. What is your second degree in? And yeah I completely agree with you, who cares about reputation when you're getting the exact same degree in the end? Also, it's never embarrassing to get a PhD, I don't care what people say.

Edited by doctormelody

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That makes sense. And Advanced Standing is if you have a BSW, I think - it's a one year program, or a year and a summer semester, or something. I selected Direct Practice, yes.

Lol, academic departments and drama go together like peanut butter and jelly. What is your second degree in? And yeah I completely agree with you, who cares about reputation when you're getting the exact same degree in the end? Also, it's never embarrassing to get a PhD, I don't care what people say.

Oooo my bad I meant could be kind of the same schedule for some courses. But with different concentrations, I think the course load doesn't overlap much at all apart from the few generic intro courses. 

U of M has their dual degree where you get your MSW and PhD in Social Welfare and you select a second social science to get a doctorate in as well. I selected Sociocultural Anthropology because I work with immigrants and refugees and you have to take language courses for the Anthro degree. There's no other program where I can include language studies for credit. 

2 hours ago, a.s. said:

Oooo my bad I meant could be kind of the same schedule for some courses. But with different concentrations, I think the course load doesn't overlap much at all apart from the few generic intro courses. 

U of M has their dual degree where you get your MSW and PhD in Social Welfare and you select a second social science to get a doctorate in as well. I selected Sociocultural Anthropology because I work with immigrants and refugees and you have to take language courses for the Anthro degree. There's no other program where I can include language studies for credit. 

Oh, gotcha! So you are Advanced Standing, then? Do you even have to take the generic intro courses? 

That sounds super cool. I sort of abandoned my language pursuits because I was bad at them, but I’m always envious of people who can speak more than one language fluently.

12 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Oh, gotcha! So you are Advanced Standing, then? Do you even have to take the generic intro courses? 

That sounds super cool. I sort of abandoned my language pursuits because I was bad at them, but I’m always envious of people who can speak more than one language fluently.

Yeah I'm advanced standing but most programs only excuse around 12-15 credit hours.

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Makes sense. Good luck with all your apps! I know waiting to hear back is deeply stressful.

Thank you! I think my nerves would calm if I could actually hear back before mid-March :~(

1 hour ago, a.s. said:

Thank you! I think my nerves would calm if I could actually hear back before mid-March :~(

Oh, is that when you're supposed to hear back? I kinda thought PhD applicants were notified earlier than that. That's a long wait, I'm sorry!

21 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Oh, is that when you're supposed to hear back? I kinda thought PhD applicants were notified earlier than that. That's a long wait, I'm sorry!

I just heard back from the MSW program and I'm in!! Wooo!

Has anyone had any luck corresponding with Pitt about the Statistics requirement? I emailed them to ask if this online class someone on here recommended would count like a week and a half ago and thus far, no response. Slightly worried that I emailed the wrong person, but I'm still kind of annoyed that they didn't get back to me to just point me in the right direction.

Edited by doctormelody

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Has anyone had any luck corresponding with Pitt about the Statistics requirement? I emailed them to ask if this online class someone on here recommended would count like a week and a half ago and thus far, no response. Slightly worried that I emailed the wrong person, but I'm still kind of annoyed that they didn't get back to me to just point me in the right direction.

Have you contacted Jessalynn Oliver? She's very helpful. Either way though I don't think they care how you take stats as long as it's passed before fall semester 

11 minutes ago, a.s. said:

Have you contacted Jessalynn Oliver? She's very helpful. Either way though I don't think they care how you take stats as long as it's passed before fall semester 

Yeah, I was just worried because it's pass/fail and self-paced, etc. A lot of other schools accept it, though.

Just got word that Pitt won’t accept the course I was hoping to take because it isn’t a 3-credit class. I was kind of expecting this but I had hope because I couldn’t really tell how many credits it was and other schools seemed to think it was fine. I wouldn’t care except that if I take a class at a community college now I’ll be charged the out-of-state rate because I’ve only lived in PA since August, and I don’t exactly have an extra $1200 lying around. This sucks, lol. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, lsg0629 said:

Does anyone know the deadline we have to send a deposit by for those who applied and were accepted by the priority deadline? For some reason I'm having trouble finding that information. 

In my acceptance letter, I have the deadline of 3/31.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to revive this thread—anyone else accepted into Pitts and considering going? Or anyone who’s put down their deposit? I had a chance to visit Pittsburgh recently and now it’s back on the table (decision making is incredibly stresssful and hard!!) and it’d be great to hear from others who are considering accepting Pitts and why.

@ML878 I have been accepted into Pitt and am definitely considering going. I am going to visit the school in a few weeks just to make sure that I like it there. I am a little nervous about moving to another state that I've never lived in, but I've heard positive things about the program and I've heard its an awesome city. I am interested in working in gerontology and I know they have a strong program and fellowship for that. On paper it seems like a great match, just need to go and visit to make sure! How did your visit go? I recently noticed it dropped from #11 to #17 or #19 (can't remember exactly which) on the rankings of the best MSW programs, and I am a little curious about why... Anyways, good luck with deciding-- I know it is stressful.