University of Pittsburgh MSW Fall 2019

doctormelody

49 minutes ago, lt97 said:

@ML878 I have been accepted into Pitt and am definitely considering going. I am going to visit the school in a few weeks just to make sure that I like it there. I am a little nervous about moving to another state that I've never lived in, but I've heard positive things about the program and I've heard its an awesome city. I am interested in working in gerontology and I know they have a strong program and fellowship for that. On paper it seems like a great match, just need to go and visit to make sure! How did your visit go? I recently noticed it dropped from #11 to #17 or #19 (can't remember exactly which) on the rankings of the best MSW programs, and I am a little curious about why... Anyways, good luck with deciding-- I know it is stressful. 

I am also definitely nervous about moving to another state, especially by myself (and my cat). Where are you coming from and what other schools are you considering? I’m from NYC and it’s between Hunter and Pitt. Michigan would’ve been amazing but it’s too damn expensive!

I didn’t really visit the school honestly. I was more in town to check out the city, and I did enjoy my time there, in terms of things to do and places to eat. I’m Asian so I was also seeing things from a minority perspective. The city isn’t as diverse as I’d like, but nowhere will really be like NYC! I had a brief meeting with Philip Mack and the meeting was ok. I didn’t really learn much. I would’ve wanted to sit in on a class or speak with a student, but I didn’t have time. I was planning to attend the Welcome weekend in 2 weeks but I couldn’t take time off from work ?.

I didn’t realize their rankings dropped! I’d also like to know why... I’m interested in integrated healthcare and I think Pittsburgg in general is a good place for healthcare.

Hope your visit goes well—I’d love to hear what you think afterwards!

2 hours ago, lt97 said:

@ML878 I have been accepted into Pitt and am definitely considering going. I am going to visit the school in a few weeks just to make sure that I like it there. I am a little nervous about moving to another state that I've never lived in, but I've heard positive things about the program and I've heard its an awesome city. I am interested in working in gerontology and I know they have a strong program and fellowship for that. On paper it seems like a great match, just need to go and visit to make sure! How did your visit go? I recently noticed it dropped from #11 to #17 or #19 (can't remember exactly which) on the rankings of the best MSW programs, and I am a little curious about why... Anyways, good luck with deciding-- I know it is stressful. 

I was curious about this as well! But yeah, I definitely recommend attending one of their info sessions - I've been to two and I got a lot out of both of them. I think I am going to accept my offer but I may defer for a year, I still haven't decided.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

I was curious about this as well! But yeah, I definitely recommend attending one of their info sessions - I've been to two and I got a lot out of both of them. I think I am going to accept my offer but I may defer for a year, I still haven't decided.

I was wondering where you ended up with this. Are you deferring due to the out of state costs? If so, that probably does make sense especially if you’re not in a rush to start the program.

40 minutes ago, ML878 said:

I was wondering where you ended up with this. Are you deferring due to the out of state costs? If so, that probably does make sense especially if you’re not in a rush to start the program.

No, I moved here last August so I should qualify for in-state tuition. It would be more for personal reasons.

3 hours ago, ML878 said:

I am also definitely nervous about moving to another state, especially by myself (and my cat). Where are you coming from and what other schools are you considering? I’m from NYC and it’s between Hunter and Pitt. Michigan would’ve been amazing but it’s too damn expensive!

I didn’t really visit the school honestly. I was more in town to check out the city, and I did enjoy my time there, in terms of things to do and places to eat. I’m Asian so I was also seeing things from a minority perspective. The city isn’t as diverse as I’d like, but nowhere will really be like NYC! I had a brief meeting with Philip Mack and the meeting was ok. I didn’t really learn much. I would’ve wanted to sit in on a class or speak with a student, but I didn’t have time. I was planning to attend the Welcome weekend in 2 weeks but I couldn’t take time off from work ?.

I didn’t realize their rankings dropped! I’d also like to know why... I’m interested in integrated healthcare and I think Pittsburgg in general is a good place for healthcare.

Hope your visit goes well—I’d love to hear what you think afterwards!

Gotcha! I will let you know how the visit goes. I am trying to decide between staying in California and paying in state tuition or going away to Pitt to experience a different part of the country. Pitt would undoubtably be more expensive, but I'm trying to decide if the program would be worth it. Such an anxiety inducing decision!! I know both programs will probably be fine, it might just be a matter of where in the country I want to be for the next few years. 

7 hours ago, lt97 said:

Gotcha! I will let you know how the visit goes. I am trying to decide between staying in California and paying in state tuition or going away to Pitt to experience a different part of the country. Pitt would undoubtably be more expensive, but I'm trying to decide if the program would be worth it. Such an anxiety inducing decision!! I know both programs will probably be fine, it might just be a matter of where in the country I want to be for the next few years. 

This is just my opinion so please take it with a grain of salt, but Pittsburgh is absolutely not worth paying extra money for. Especially if you have to take out loans to be able to afford it. I moved here from VA in August and things are a little better now but at first, I really struggled. It probably would have been better if I had had grad school to add some structure to my life, but even so, I think it still would have been hard. It's cold, it's ugly, and it feels very foreign to me even though I am only about 5 1/2 hours from the place where I grew up. If you were talking about NYC or some other place on the East Coast I'd say go for it, but Pittsburgh? I wouldn't. I'm sorry to say this and obviously you should wait until your visit to make up your mind about it - maybe you'll love it, or the program will be worth it! But If I could do it all over again, I absolutely would not move here.

1 hour ago, lsg0629 said:

Just committed to Pitt! Very excited.

Hey, random question, when you submitted your enrollment deposit, what were the options for payment? Just wondering if I will be able to pay it with a credit card...

On 3/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, doctormelody said:

Hey, random question, when you submitted your enrollment deposit, what were the options for payment? Just wondering if I will be able to pay it with a credit card...

I paid with a CC

1 minute ago, lsg0629 said:

Rad! Do you know what next steps are following this or no?

No idea, but I assume you'll find out before me because I don't plan on paying the deposit until next week, so if you wouldn't mind reporting back here when you find out, that'd be awesome!

Edited by doctormelody

On 3/13/2019 at 5:34 PM, lt97 said:

My sister did the gerontology MSW fellowship at Pitt and loved it. Let me know if you have any questions.

19 hours ago, lsg0629 said:

My sister did the gerontology MSW fellowship at Pitt and loved it. Let me know if you have any questions.

That's so cool! Would you mind asking her how many people were in the fellowship program/ what the benefits are? Also, what do they look for in an applicant? Did she have experience with this population before starting the program and fellowship? Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone registered for classes yet? I almost did it last week but then I remembered reading something about how you need to live in PA for 12 months before registering as a student in order to get in state tuition and I got worried. I found the web page again, but it seems like they take other factors into account as well?

http://payments.pitt.edu/pa-tuition-rate-eligibility/

Can anyone help me figure this out? I have no idea how to figure out what they're going to charge me and I'm scared to call them in case it makes them realize they've made a mistake and I should be charged out of state tuition. I really don't think I should be considering I've lived in PA since last August and I'm registered to vote here and everything, but I'm still anxious about it and any help would be greatly appreciated!