Hey y'all. Worried about my chances of acceptance into philosophy MA programs. As of right now, I know I am for sure applying to San Francisco State, California State Los Angeles, London School of Economics (MSc in Philosophy & Public Policy/Philosophy of the Social Sciences), Wayne State University (I'm already accepted into the AGRADE program there, so this is my backup), and the University of Missouri St. Louis. Possibly also applying to Georgia State University and Northern Illinois University (depending on if I can take the GRE in time). Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.75

Philosophy GPA: 3.73

Treasurer of a political activist group on campus. Also involved in a volunteer group dedicated to teaching elementary students philosophy. No papers in conferences.

Two letters of recommendation very familiar with my work and enthusiastic about writing the letters. One of the professors has friends in the faculty of a couple programs I'm applying to. Hoping that will help.

No GRE scores. This may theoretically be a problem for University of Missouri St. Louis (recommended but not required), but for SFSU, Cal State LA, LSE, and WSU, they do not ask for GRE scores at all.

Doing my writing sample on how to legally classify trans folk to ensure that insurance companies cannot deny them access to resources such as hormones, gender therapy, and surgical procedures, without resorting to the medicalization of trans bodies. My interests are primarily in political philosophy, legal philosophy, ethics, and metaphysics.

What do you think are my chances of acceptance? The dream would be to eventually work on a PhD at LSE or CUNY Graduate Center. I'm also very interested in the PhD programs at Michigan State, Penn State, University of Oregon, and DePaul. For schools like MSU, Penn State, and Oregon, is it really necessary for me to stress where I'm getting my masters at?

Edited by jackb97