Jump to content
civitas

HGSE 2019

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, LizKay said:

Hey, at least you received something, and that’s quite a lot already.

I got nominated as a finalist for a full tuition and stipend, got interviewed for no reason, and then given absolutely nothing but a loan as an “award.”

I wish they hadn’t gotten my hopes up. It just  leaves a sour taste in my mouth about the whole experience. I guess I’ll be going to Columbia instead.

Did you apply for a Master? And they teased about full tuition?

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't receive any of the fellowships aimed at my country or this Impact Award... I make less than 10k, how am I supposed to pay this. I'm super sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LizKay said:

Hey, at least you received something, and that’s quite a lot already.

I got nominated as a finalist for a full tuition and stipend, got interviewed for no reason, and then given absolutely nothing but a loan as an “award.”

I wish they hadn’t gotten my hopes up. It just  leaves a sour taste in my mouth about the whole experience. I guess I’ll be going to Columbia instead.

It's true, I'm feeling grateful for any amount at the moment. I was too naive going into the process, thinking that the best schools would naturally provide the best financial aid. I wish I had applied to more scholarships.

I am so sorry to hear that they only gave you the loan...I honestly can't believe that you were nominated for full tuition and then they didn't end up providing anything. That's ridiculous! Have you considered reaching out to them as asking how that decision was made? Or are you set on Columbia now? 

I was also accepted to TC Columbia but my grants only totaled about 20k, so Harvard seems to be the better choice for me now. I am still waiting to hear back about funding to the University of Cambridge but, unfortunately, I don't think I will know in time... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jb2003 said:

It's true, I'm feeling grateful for any amount at the moment. I was too naive going into the process, thinking that the best schools would naturally provide the best financial aid. I wish I had applied to more scholarships.

I am so sorry to hear that they only gave you the loan...I honestly can't believe that you were nominated for full tuition and then they didn't end up providing anything. That's ridiculous! Have you considered reaching out to them as asking how that decision was made? Or are you set on Columbia now? 

I was also accepted to TC Columbia but my grants only totaled about 20k, so Harvard seems to be the better choice for me now. I am still waiting to hear back about funding to the University of Cambridge but, unfortunately, I don't think I will know in time... 

You don't think Cambridge will get back to you before April 15th? Or is there a different deadline date you have in mind? Send them an email and explain the timelines to them. Tell them you have a generous aid offer from HGSE (without specifying the amount) and have to reply before the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ed_Cog said:

You don't think Cambridge will get back to you before April 15th? Or is there a different deadline date you have in mind? Send them an email and explain the timelines to them. Tell them you have a generous aid offer from HGSE (without specifying the amount) and have to reply before the deadline. 

Cambridge has an odd funding system. Scholarship are released slowly, and by countless different groups, from March until July.

I've heard from past students that there is no way to speed up the process...they release the decisions as they make them. The only thing I can really do is ask my department if I have even been nominated for funding (each department nominates it's top applicants and those are the names that enter the funding pool), but I've received mixed advice about contacting them. Some students say that departments don't like to be asked this question and might be resistant to releasing that information. 

But I may send that email in a week or so, if no news has come by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jb2003 said:

I am so sorry to hear that they only gave you the loan...I honestly can't believe that you were nominated for full tuition and then they didn't end up providing anything. That's ridiculous! Have you considered reaching out to them as asking how that decision was made? Or are you set on Columbia now?

Yeah, I was shocked as well. I mean, I know that there are many other qualified applicants, and I understand that the full tuition fellowship was competitive. It certainly went to people who were deserving.

But to just leave me with nothing but a loan? That was pretty harsh.

I reached out to them politely about my options. I certainly know I’m not entitled to any aid, but it almost feels like I was being led on, and it just felt so abrupt.

But I just got emails congratulating me on being chosen as a finalist and that it’s a high honor and also how I can look into supplemental loans...

I mean, I give up. I don’t even know what to say anymore.........

 

If Harvard offers me any aid left over from people who don’t enroll, then I would go. Otherwise, I don’t have an option but to go to Columbia since I have family there and can save on living expenses.

Edited by LizKay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was offered 10K in work study and 20K in unsubsidized loans. HGSE was a dream, and I truly (apparently, naively) hoped they were a little more generous when it came to financial aid, but when it comes down to it, I just can’t stomach taking on 80K in debt (which would be conservative given relocation costs, housing, and childcare). I feel much better about doing my program in state at UT Austin and leaving with very little, if any, debt, even though it’s obviously not Harvard.

Congratulations and good luck to everyone who can make it to HGSE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was also quite disappointed by Harvard's offer. Even Stanford seems to have a much more generous financial aid program - I got offered full tuition there for a dual degree program (2 years) and only $20,000 in loans at Harvard. I currently make less than 10K a year, but like someone else said, I don't have any loans from undergrad. I was more interested in Harvard than Stanford when I started the application process, but after funding decisions and campus visits, I'm completely on the Stanford train. 

Edited by mems2019
more information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone, has anyone started the housing process? I'm a little confused as to why the lease start dates mentioned on the available units are in March when we only start in August. Are we really expected to pay to rentals for March to August? Am i missing something? 

Edited by Admz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The financial aid is really low here. $10,000 grant/ work study and $20,000 loans. Unfortunately, I just don't need this master's degree enough to justify the costs of going here. I really hoped they would be more generous. If they gave me another $10,000 in aid that would make enough of a difference for me to consider it. Too bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 5:45 AM, AntoniaLiu said:

Accepted to HDP!

Congrat! I got admitted too also in early March. But now I am really struggling at choosing schools as I got another offer from NYU. Wondering what field of study or industry you expect yourself to do research/work in, with the EdM degree in Human Development and Psychology. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, Admz said:

Hi Everyone, has anyone started the housing process? I'm a little confused as to why the lease start dates mentioned on the available units are in March when we only start in August. Are we really expected to pay to rentals for March to August? Am i missing something? 

I was wondering if you followed up on this or if anyone knows more. I'm a little lost as well, given all of the info on the website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are any of you considering taking five classes per semester at HGSE? Given that the program is relatively short, I really want to make the most of my experience. I don't really know if that's manageable though, and only talking to a student/alum will provide proper insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ed_Cog said:

So are any of you considering taking five classes per semester at HGSE? Given that the program is relatively short, I really want to make the most of my experience. I don't really know if that's manageable though, and only talking to a student/alum will provide proper insight.

I'm considering it as well...on the TIE webinar it sounds like the students who are taking 5 classes (or four and a module or internship or assistantship) are pretty busy, but I feel like it could definitely be worth it. I am trying to keep in mind, as someone said, that "Harvard is your fifth class" though, so I'm still on the fence. There's always J-term!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ed_Cog said:

So are any of you considering taking five classes per semester at HGSE? Given that the program is relatively short, I really want to make the most of my experience. I don't really know if that's manageable though, and only talking to a student/alum will provide proper insight.

I'm sorry if these questions are dumb, but coming from another country there's a lot of US university system that I still don't get:

1) Can you take more classes than what your program includes? For example, TIE's an 8 course program. Could I take 10 courses instead? Should I have to pay for those additional courses?

2) If the answer is no, what would be the benefit of taking 5 classes? So your next semester is lighter?

3) How much is a credit in class time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, LCasamajor said:

I'm sorry if these questions are dumb, but coming from another country there's a lot of US university system that I still don't get:

1) Can you take more classes than what your program includes? For example, TIE's an 8 course program. Could I take 10 courses instead? Should I have to pay for those additional courses?

2) If the answer is no, what would be the benefit of taking 5 classes? So your next semester is lighter?

3) How much is a credit in class time?

No question is a dumb question.

Yes, you can take more classes/courses without an additional fee. The benefit is just making full use of your time there given it is just 9 months.

Credits vary between 2 and 4 usually but depends on course to course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody considering taking the How People Learn course? I'm on the fence since I will be traveling and am not totally sure what to expect workload-wise, since it'd be my first Harvard course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.