HGSE 2019

civitas

11 hours ago, Lfss said:

I currently live in Somerville (just north of Cambridge) - plenty of housing although "affordable" is a bit of a joke anywhere in the Boston area. My old place was $700 for a three bedroom which was a VERY rare deal. I'd expect rents between $800 and $1000 per person depending on # of roommates and location.

Also very curious about working during the program...

Good to know! What is the commute like? How about parking on campus?

On 3/6/2019 at 10:09 PM, 59fscty said:

Looks like they updated the site: "You should receive instructions from the IT department on claiming your Harvard email account by the end of May. It is important that you obtain your Harvard email address immediately as HGSE offices will be contacting you through this account over the summer and up to fall orientation." 

Has anyone had any luck creating an application for Harvard University Housing? I keep getting error messages.

Hi, have you reveany update 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:09 PM, 59fscty said:

Looks like they updated the site: "You should receive instructions from the IT department on claiming your Harvard email account by the end of May. It is important that you obtain your Harvard email address immediately as HGSE offices will be contacting you through this account over the summer and up to fall orientation." 

Has anyone had any luck creating an application for Harvard University Housing? I keep getting error messages.

Hi, do you receive any feedback from Harvard Univerisity Housing after application? I applied for the housing this Tuesday, but have not received any update yet.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Joylife said:

Hi, do you receive any feedback from Harvard Univerisity Housing after application? I applied for the housing this Tuesday, but have not received any update yet.

Thank you.

I applied last weekend, heard nothing for a couple of days, so I emailed them about it, and they said that my acceptance letter didn’t show that I was entering a full time program for the upcoming year. It would have been helping if they had messaged me on their own about this. Well anyway, I sent them another acceptance letter I got that did say “full-time” and then it was approved.

4 hours ago, LizKay said:

I applied last weekend, heard nothing for a couple of days, so I emailed them about it, and they said that my acceptance letter didn’t show that I was entering a full time program for the upcoming year. It would have been helping if they had messaged me on their own about this. Well anyway, I sent them another acceptance letter I got that did say “full-time” and then it was approved.

Thank you so much for your response. It really helps!

14 hours ago, Lavaniya said:

Good to know! What is the commute like? How about parking on campus?

Parking in Harvard Square is pretty tough. There’s a T (subway) station right there. I’m planning on either biking or taking the T next year from my place (in Davis square, for reference).

On 3/15/2019 at 3:42 AM, aleeviolin said:

What are some documents included in the packet? My packet was sent to Canada but I am currently working in Japan and won't be able to receive my packet until late June when I return... I am not sure if there is anything that's urgent in the packet.

A guide to the terms and conditions of acceptance (including where to send your official transcripts); tuition and fees for 2019-20; a packet on financing your Ed.M. education; and information on IT and health services.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:46 AM, Amelia75 said:

A guide to the terms and conditions of acceptance (including where to send your official transcripts); tuition and fees for 2019-20; a packet on financing your Ed.M. education; and information on IT and health services.

thank you @Amelia75

4 hours ago, aleeviolin said:

@LizKay where do you see the information?

I asked whether any scholarships were still available and got an email. It mentioned, “merit scholarships, including the Urban Scholars and Saul Zaentz Early Childhood Awards” have all been decided for 2019-2020 and that the selection process is now complete. It’s unfortunate because I had really wanted to go to Harvard.

The email did mention though that we’ll get notified about need-based aid and any restricted scholarships from late March into early April, so I guess there’s some hope for that.

Also, I don’t know if they have finished notifying everyone who got a merit scholarship or if this only means that they finished making decisions and that’s all.

Edited by LizKay

On 3/16/2019 at 12:20 AM, Joylife said:

Thank you.

Hi, yes I did. I received it about 3 days after I applied--hopefully you will too.

Financial Aid Info is up and available. $5k in grants and $20k unsub loan...not too happy about the aid because I was expecting the full need-based grant because I have $15k income and no additional contribution. I think that having $0 in undergraduate loan debt was the reason for my lack of grants. Anybody have any advice on searching for outside aid via scholarships?

1 hour ago, mkkenny13 said:

Financial Aid Info is up and available. $5k in grants and $20k unsub loan...not too happy about the aid because I was expecting the full need-based grant because I have $15k income and no additional contribution. I think that having $0 in undergraduate loan debt was the reason for my lack of grants. Anybody have any advice on searching for outside aid via scholarships?

Mine's up too and, while not too bad, it's not enough... I'm super bummed out.

Do you know if funding awarded by the Committee on General Scholarships should also be listed? Because my application in their portal still says "Under review". I was really counting on their geographical need-based scholarships...

Judging by previous years, it seems like HGSE doesn't really offer grant amounts of more than $14-18K outside the restricted merit scholarships. 

Edited by Ed_Cog

Hi all! So, I received about $19,000 with the HGSE Grant and an HGSE Impact Award of $10,000 for the year. I was disappointed with the amount of grants but, reading comments, it seems that HGSE's financial aid is pretty weak... ? 

40 minutes ago, Jb2003 said:

Hi all! So, I received about $19,000 with the HGSE Grant and an HGSE Impact Award of $10,000 for the year. I was disappointed with the amount of grants but, reading comments, it seems that HGSE's financial aid is pretty weak... ? 

That’s slightly less than 60% of the total tuition, which is really good for HGSE! Outside restricted scholarships like the Urban Scholars program, you cant hope for much more.

Pretty much all ed masters programs in the US are stingy with aid, not just HGSE

Got my aid too. I was really hoping for Urban Scholars or a Leadership in Ed Award. I'm doing PSP/CAS so I'm really worried about finances. With the $16K grant and $10K Impact Award I'm around half tuition. I have two fully funded offers from other highly ranked Masters in school counseling programs, so I will probably do one of those. It will really hurt to say goodbye to the Harvard dream though.

7 minutes ago, zajfa said:

Got my aid too. I was really hoping for Urban Scholars or a Leadership in Ed Award. I'm doing PSP/CAS so I'm really worried about finances. With the $16K grant and $10K Impact Award I'm around half tuition. I have two fully funded offers from other highly ranked Masters in school counseling programs, so I will probably do one of those. It will really hurt to say goodbye to the Harvard dream though.

May I ask you where the Impact Award comes from? I can't find a merit scholarship named like that in the Financial Aid webpage.

27 minutes ago, LCasamajor said:

May I ask you where the Impact Award comes from? I can't find a merit scholarship named like that in the Financial Aid webpage.

36 minutes ago, zajfa said:

I have the exact same question. Where does the Impact Award come from? Was there a separate application?

6 minutes ago, JB91 said:

I have the exact same question. Where does the Impact Award come from? Was there a separate application?

I didn't apply for any additional grants. As far as I can tell, it is a grant given out based on a financial need determination by HGSE? But I'm actually not certain myself...

37 minutes ago, LCasamajor said:

8 minutes ago, JB91 said:

In my portal it just says it's an extra merit and need based grant that doesn't need to be repaid. 

2 hours ago, zajfa said:

It's great that you have two fully funded offers! Which programs (only if you feel comfortable sharing the info of course!)? I'm curious because as an international student, some of my younger peers ask me frequently about good ed programs in the US that are affordable, and I didn't know there were many that gave full funding to masters students. 

6 hours ago, Jb2003 said:

Hey, at least you received something, and that’s quite a lot already.

I got nominated as a finalist for a full tuition and stipend, got interviewed for no reason, and then given absolutely nothing but a loan as an “award.”

I wish they hadn’t gotten my hopes up. It just  leaves a sour taste in my mouth about the whole experience. I guess I’ll be going to Columbia instead.