HGSE 2019

civitas

Hi all, 

Waiting for a decision from the Mind, Brain, and Education Ed.M. program. I just scanned through the threads of previous years, and it seems Ed.M. applicants receive decisions in early March. 

While we wait for next month, I was wondering if any other applicants are slightly put off by the fact that none of the Ed.M. programs have an independent research project, like a thesis or a capstone project. All the other programs I've looked at with a focus on cognition (Teachers College, Northwestern, Berkeley, Peabody) have a thesis, even if they're year-long programs like HGSE's. I've been accepted into Northwestern's MA in Learning Sciences, and the last two months of the program are dedicated to independent research. Because of this focus on research, I'm actually leaning slightly towards Northwestern right now (assuming I'm accepted to HGSE; ultimately I may not have a choice as I'll be attending on a Fulbright scholarship, but that's a different discussion). At the same time, the info I have is limited so I'm definitely open to being persuaded about HGSE. Are any of you also concerned about HGSE in this regard, particularly if doctoral studies are among your plans for the future? 

It'll be great if ppl familiar with HGSE's curriculum can shed light on the rationale behind the decision not to have a thesis, and the implications that result. Thanks! 

And good luck to PhD applications with interview calls in the next couple of days!        

Edited by MA_cognition_1991

1 hour ago, Belle2019 said:

The invites are probably all sent out on the same day and people report them at different times because of their time zone. It doesn’t make sense to send them out separately. Good luck to everyone who made it 

Pretty sure they are sent out over the course of several days, as reported by everyone else over the years. Harvard does not do a mass email, neither does UPenn or Vandy.

4 hours ago, Ran1126 said:

I applied for the EDLD program but didn't get interview email,maybe I have already been rejected:wacko:

Most of us will be rejected but it is too early to say. Call the school if you think they are done. 

Well, presuming it's accurate that these were the two days, seems like it's over for 2019 for those not receiving interviews. Congrats and best of luck to those who moved on.

Edited by hobobonobo

8 hours ago, GreenVea said:

Most of us will be rejected but it is too early to say. Call the school if you think they are done. 

hahaha I also accepted my fate, just hope can get some good news from other programs

3 hours ago, EEEEEmailchecking said:

Does Ed.M have interview?

It might depend on your program, so check to make sure. I know mine didn’t say anything about an interview.

Btw, when do you guys expect to get your results if you’re applying for Masters? According to the results page, the Teacher Education Program seems to have given out acceptances on the first Friday of March in the last couple of years, except once when March 1st fell on the first Friday (just like this year). Hope we don’t have to wait an extra week for results!

3 hours ago, LizKay said:

It might depend on your program, so check to make sure. I know mine didn’t say anything about an interview.

Btw, when do you guys expect to get your results if you’re applying for Masters? According to the results page, the Teacher Education Program seems to have given out acceptances on the first Friday of March in the last couple of years, except once when March 1st fell on the first Friday (just like this year). Hope we don’t have to wait an extra week for results!

I also applied for the master's program. Now I am anxious to wait for the March

Admissions stated that all decisions will be posted in March. In the past it has been early March but the current site says late March.

The Ed.M. online submission and materials received deadline for the 2019-2020 academic year was Saturday, January 5, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. E.S.T. Master's decisions will be made available online in late March 2019.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:46 AM, Anon79158 said:

The master handbook on HGSE’s website. If you want to take the optimistic approach, then we are pretty unique. Otherwise, one can argue that the program is not friendly towards entrepreneurs. No clear conclusion. The beauty of statistics. 

I think HGSE only send out interviews to master applicants when you have a TOEFL speaking score lower than 26. I received one today for TIE.

10 hours ago, Belle2019 said:

Admissions stated that all decisions will be posted in March. In the past it has been early March but the current site says late March.

The Ed.M. online submission and materials received deadline for the 2019-2020 academic year was Saturday, January 5, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. E.S.T. Master's decisions will be made available online in late March 2019.

Is this “late March” part new or had it been there previous years? I’m guessing the first option off the top of my head. Hope someone can confirm. 

2 hours ago, civitas said:

I think HGSE only send out interviews to master applicants when you have a TOEFL speaking score lower than 26. I received one today for TIE.

Wish you good luck! 

15 minutes ago, Anon79158 said:

Is this “late March” part new or had it been there previous years? I’m guessing the first option off the top of my head. Hope someone can confirm. 

Shall I ask the admission officer tomorrow? 

13 hours ago, Belle2019 said:

Did their website also use to say early March in previous years? I’ve read through all the HGSE threads here from the last 5 years or so, and it seems like people were getting decisions earlier than the site said.

2 hours ago, civitas said:

UPDATE:

The admission officer told me that the admission outcome will be available in early March, not late March. Good luck to everyone!

Good. Any additional insights on how they perceive education related entrepreneurs? You mentioned that is your profile. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Anon79158 said:

Good. Any additional insights on how they perceive education related entrepreneurs? You mentioned that is your profile. Thanks. 

I think they welcome entrepreneurs. I have a very unconventional profile and a speaking score lower than 26, but they choose to give the interview.