HGSE 2019

civitas

21 hours ago, shibalnom said:

I'm expecting to have my first child in two months. Depending on if I get into my second choice or not, I plan to attend Harvard in the fall.

Wow! Are you being other family with you? What are your plans for childcare?

Admitted students, can someone help me understand this?:

>>We hope that you will choose to accept your offer of admission. Please notify us of your decision through the online form by April 15, 2019. If you accept, you will need to >>provide by credit card a $250 non-refundable enrollment deposit.

>>Within two weeks, we will send you a packet of admitted student information. It will include a statement of terms and conditions that must be satisfied before you will be permitted to >>matriculate.

Does this mean I need to pay the deposit first, and then they release the packet of admitted student info?

Edited by Caroler

8 hours ago, Caroler said:

>>We hope that you will choose to accept your offer of admission. Please notify us of your decision through the online form by April 15, 2019. If you accept, you will need to >>provide by credit card a $250 non-refundable enrollment deposit.

>>Within two weeks, we will send you a packet of admitted student information. It will include a statement of terms and conditions that must be satisfied before you will be permitted to >>matriculate.

Does this mean I need to pay the deposit first, and then they release the packet of admitted student info?

Not sure honestly, its unclear. 

On the student checklist it says "You should have received instructions from the IT department on claiming your Harvard email account. It is important that you obtain your Harvard email address immediately as HGSE offices will be contacting you through this account over the summer and up to fall orientation."

Did anyone else not receive their Harvard email account yet? I already accepted and put down the deposit, but I dont seem to have the email from IT yet. 

9 hours ago, Caroler said:

I just called admissions and all admitted students receive the admissions/welcome packet within two weeks even if you did not make a deposit. This packet is different from the financial aid award packet. I also called financial aid and they said we will receive our award letter which includes merit-based and need-based scholarships by the end of the month before the April 15th deadline.

I got accepted to EPM. My stats were average:

Undergrad: 3.2 at top liberal arts 

GRE: 150 Q/ 155 V/ 4.5 W

Experience: 3 years teaching, 3 years policy

I already have a master's as well. At this point, just trying to figure out if another master's, even from Harvard, would be worth it. Also with my stats is there even a chance I would get any funding?

Thanks for your insights!

1 hour ago, ed19 said:

I already have a master's as well. At this point, just trying to figure out if another master's, even from Harvard, would be worth it. Also with my stats is there even a chance I would get any funding?

Same I have a masters and well and my final decision will be based on aid. 

20 hours ago, Belle2019 said:

I just called admissions and all admitted students receive the admissions/welcome packet within two weeks even if you did not make a deposit. This packet is different from the financial aid award packet. I also called financial aid and they said we will receive our award letter which includes merit-based and need-based scholarships by the end of the month before the April 15th deadline.

Thanks, this helps! Eagerly awaiting the financial aid award packet now :)

22 hours ago, 59fscty said:

On the student checklist it says "You should have received instructions from the IT department on claiming your Harvard email account. It is important that you obtain your Harvard email address immediately as HGSE offices will be contacting you through this account over the summer and up to fall orientation."

Did anyone else not receive their Harvard email account yet? I already accepted and put down the deposit, but I dont seem to have the email from IT yet. 

I have also paid the deposit, but haven't received any mail of this nature yet. Perhaps it's too soon, as they're just working on releasing the admissions/welcome packet first (Ed. M.). It may take a few days for things to be processed post payment, I guess.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:50 AM, Caroler said:

I have also paid the deposit, but haven't received any mail of this nature yet. Perhaps it's too soon, as they're just working on releasing the admissions/welcome packet first (Ed. M.). It may take a few days for things to be processed post payment, I guess.

Looks like they updated the site: "You should receive instructions from the IT department on claiming your Harvard email account by the end of May. It is important that you obtain your Harvard email address immediately as HGSE offices will be contacting you through this account over the summer and up to fall orientation." 

Has anyone had any luck creating an application for Harvard University Housing? I keep getting error messages.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:30 PM, ed19 said:

hey! I have similar stats, I actually got a lower GRE Q score than you lol - I don't have a masters, but I've received merit funding from TC, Brown and Penn. I have a friend who is in the TIE program and said that typically those who have worked for a few years get pretty good funding packages as opposed to those out of undergrad or with less than 3 years or so of working experience, and that she 100% would not have accepted without a good financial aid package. I think you should be fine! I think once you have a complete view of the finances you'll have a better idea of whether or not the degree is worth it - at least that's what I'm planning on doing! I'm really happy with my offers, but at the end of the day money is a huge factor for me, and I would sooner not go anywhere than take on huge amounts of debt (in addition to my undergrad debt ha!).  Hope this is helpful?? 

This is a long shot but will anyone be attending Stanford’s Admit Day on April 1st? I ended up booking a hotel on Hotel Tonight (non-refundable), but decided on Harvard and will no longer be attending Stanford’s Admit Day. Hoping to transfer my hotel reservation to someone at half price since it’s a sink cost at this point. Please reply to this if you’re interested, it’s a nice hotel in Menlo Park. Thanks!

On 3/5/2019 at 2:26 AM, LizKay said:

Has anyone here applied for the Zuckerman Fellowship? Have you heard anything back?

I applied and also haven’t heard. I expect they will send some sort of communication before the end of the month. Would be interested to know whether anyone has interviewed.

4 hours ago, Aleshia said:

I applied and also haven’t heard. I expect they will send some sort of communication before the end of the month. Would be interested to know whether anyone has interviewed.

I have an interview this upcoming week. But I don’t know how many people are being interviewed versus how many awards are available.

Is anyone making a tough choice between IEDP at UPenn and IEP at HGSE? The UPenn being a longer-term program with the embedded international internship seems enticing to me, but then giving up Harvard is not easy. It comes with its own resources and network to tap on. Anyone any thoughts?

I am making a shift from business consulting to education after 7 years of experience, so am more inclined to internships and longer program. Does that help with jobs? Note, at the same time I also have 8 years of educational pro bono and voluntary experience across non-profits and corporates.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:57 AM, GhaleonQ said:

Hey, folks! Congratulations to those fortunate enough to go. I hope you get everything you hoped for from it and more.

I wanted to chime in for posterity, as I got an extremely surprising rejection, though for an obvious reason.

It just sucks to have undergraduate grades haunt me still. *shrug* And I do feel dumb and embarrassed, as I assumed I was going to get the Urban Scholars full ride with a really impressive essay.

Program/Concentration: EPM (Master)
GRE Score: 170/161/5.0
GPA: 2.51 undergraduate (depression spurred by a painful parent divorce)
Work Experience: 5 years at the best voucher school in the country/best school for African American kids in Wisconsin
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Ivy, which I take kiddos to every year http://bit.ly/DartmouthTrips
Research Experience: none
LoR/SoP: Superintendent (low-level known in national circles, national award winner), Supervisor, college admissions person from my undergraduate explaining to disregard my grades, all quality, statement of purpose is one of the best things I've ever written and genuinely got a tear or two from neutral parties

Other: good connections from alumni, midwesterner, unique school
What Other Schools Are You Applying to: Tuck, Kellogg, Wilson

You definitely deserve a spot in the class. I can identify with you, as I also had superior stats compared to others both academically and professionally. But they refused to overlook that one mistake from undergrad (top 3 in country in rankings too). Nothing else is a possibility. They are only “holistic” to a degree.

Edited by Anon79158

19 hours ago, Anon79158 said:

You definitely deserve a spot in the class. I can identify with you, as I also had superior stats compared to others both academically and professionally. But they refused to overlook that one mistake from undergrad (top 3 in country in rankings too). Nothing else is a possibility. They are only “holistic” to a degree.

Oh no! I also got low GPA from a renowned university in China, but I was in another major, EE. Would that affect the whole process? I was haunted by the low GPA, and I don't want to waste my time to get a master's in China. Now I'm really at this position of my life, I feel the need to get a master's to finish my following plans, and I did my research then it turns out Harvard is my best fit. Hopefully this only pit wouldn't affect the matriculation.

10 hours ago, AsTallAsLions88 said:

I got a call from the HGSE Financial Aid office. I won a Leadership in Education Award (I'm a Teach For America alum). It amounts to almost half of tuition, so I'm going to accept my offer and pay the deposit fee tonight. I'm going to Harvard! 

Congratulations! 

Has anyone else received financial aid info, or have an idea when HGSE will share the generic aid awards with accepted candidates? 

2 hours ago, Ed_Cog said:

Congratulations! 

Has anyone else received financial aid info, or have an idea when HGSE will share the generic aid awards with accepted candidates? 

They wrote somewhere that we would be notified by the last week of March or the first week of April.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, Amelia75 said:

I received my welcome packet in the mail, which said that scholarships would be announced by the end of March.

What are some documents included in the packet? My packet was sent to Canada but I am currently working in Japan and won't be able to receive my packet until late June when I return... I am not sure if there is anything that's urgent in the packet.

7 hours ago, Lavaniya said:

Does anyone know how difficult it is to find nearby (affordable!) housing or if many students work during the program? If one does work, how many hours do you think is reasonable? (EPM)

I currently live in Somerville (just north of Cambridge) - plenty of housing although "affordable" is a bit of a joke anywhere in the Boston area. My old place was $700 for a three bedroom which was a VERY rare deal. I'd expect rents between $800 and $1000 per person depending on # of roommates and location.

Also very curious about working during the program...