Fall 2019 Statistics MS Profile Eval

wannabeGS

Hello all, 

A bit more of a non-traditional background here. I was an econ 'math-light' major in undergrad. Started to get interested in statistics after a  year long course in econometrics my senior year (lower level - no prerequisites in multivariable calc or linear algebra if you can believe it...). I didn't feel overly satisfied with continuing on a finance track as a profession, and decided to jump into the maths after I graduated. Over the past year plus I have been working from the ground up taking courses in mathematics, statistics, and computer science, and have loved everything I've taken. I also (hope) I've done relatively well in these courses, but unfortunately no matter what I do I cannot seem to get my GRE score up... It seems silly to me that I can take these courses and do well, but somehow struggle with high school maths ?(...and I have done loads of studying, tutoring, and the like in an attempt to pick these scores up). I will certainly be applying abroad to programs that do not require GRE scores.

(Please excuse the slightly bitter rant to follow). It does seem a little bit odd that programs across the globe all require around the same basic coursework, but largely only US schools require the GRE. This makes sense to me for the obvious reason of sifting through piles of applications, and for the purposes of having a standard means to equate applicants who come from less familiar universities, but does a high GRE score really translate into an ability to succeed in the masters level? I guess I'm holding onto a prayer that my (super) low GRE scores could be overlooked given what seems like a pretty odd mismatch between my scores and my academic performance? I should also note also that my SAT scores were awful as well, but I don't think that really impeded my performance in undergraduate level mathematics... Am I praying too hard here, or am I just out of reach for US schools (or for that matter am I out of reach for all the schools I listed)? Are there schools that would better fit my profile? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the essay..

Undergrad Institution: Liberal Arts
*Since Undergrad*: Ivy
Major(s): Economics
Minor(s): Philosphy
GPA (undergrad): 3.74
GPA (*since undergrad*): 3.84
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE General Test:
Q:
V: 153
W: 4.0

Programs Applying: MS/MA Statistics

Research Experience: N/A
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (not sure they are all too pertinent..) 3 summer internships in finance (equity research, insurance brokerage, investment banking) while in undergrad
Letters of Recommendation: Linear Algebra (strong), Real Analysis (I think strong pending he says yes! - just asked), Statistical Inference (I think strong pending he says yes! - just asked)
Relevant Coursework: 
Econ: (not sure this will bear any weight): Corporate Finance (3.67), Micro(4.0), Macro(3.3), Int'l Finance(3.67), Intro to Statistical Data Analysis(4.0), Int'l Trade(3.67), Econometrics (4.0)
In the past 1.5 years:
- Calc I (4.0)
- Calc II (4.3)
- Accelerated Multivariable Calc (two full Calculus courses (III & IV) taught at this institution and rolled up into a one semester course - 3.3)
- Linear Algebra (4.0)
- Intro to Proofs (Pass)
- Real Analysis (first ~ 6.5 chapters) - Rudin (4.0)
- Intro to Java/CS (4.0)
- Probability Theory (taught to both undergraduates and graduates with no distinction between the two - 3.3)
Currently taking:
- Statistical Inference (also taught to both the undergrad's/grad's with no distinction b/w the two - on course for 4.0 to 4.3)
- Linear Regression Models (a bit more on the applied side, also taught to both grads and undergads)
- Data Structures in Java
Next Semester:
- Advanced Linear Algebra
- Statistical Computing (taught to both grads/undergrads)
- maybe Advanced Programming
- possibly audit another math course (for personal fun, Analysis and Optimization for example)..
Over the Summer:
possibly Time Series Analysis
- possibly Statistical Machine Learning
- possibly some Python online courses..

Applying to Where (Subject to adding and subtracting *advice welcome*): 

US:
Stanford
Berkely
Chicago
Columbia
Duke
University of Washington
Wisconsin-Madison
Cornell

Abroad:
LSE (Senior year spent here)
Oxford
U of T
UBC
McGill
Imperial
UCL

Thanks!!!

Edited by wannabeGS

I think your industry experience will be a big plus here, believe it or not. Lots of people get admitted into top Stats programs w/ substantial industry experience in data science/business analytics. Equity research seems like a lot of the latter, on paper at least.

Where did you do your recent math classes if you don't mind me asking? If I am understanding correctly, this is not the Ivy league school you attended for undergrad?

Edited by theduckster