UBC PhD in clinical psychology international applicant - Late for funding

Monisha

Hello everyone!

I am applying for a Doctorate in Psychology at UBC. I have pretty much completed my application but for the funding section, though I am late to apply for a lot of the available scholarships, the site says I can apply for it after joining if I am accepted. Also, UBC has a minimum funding policy for all accepted graduates. There is a section in the funding part of the application that asks if I would join if I didn't get funding and I can choose 'likely' or 'unlikely'. Since I have funds available to fund at least the first year, after which I can apply for funding, I have chosen 'likely'. I am hoping I will be able to apply for funding late if I get accepted. My question is, would this factor into the selection process? I have listed all the scholarships I would be applying for in the future in my application. Is anyone else applying for PhDs in psychology at UBC? Help!

Referring to the external funding that is listed on their website. There is internal minimum funding that sort of bridges the gap between the available funds from external sources and the minimum funding per student amount. I don't have to apply for most internal funding opportunities but the external funding deadlines have passed (like the Vanier Scholarship and the Affiliated Doctoral Fellowship Programme) I should have looked into it more because I thought the minimum funding policy at UBC covers my tuition automatically if I am selected. I am unsure if this will play into how my application is reviewed. 

I interpreted that question on the form as kind of covering their bases, in the case that you're unlikely to attend without funding and you haven't applied for any external funding, they might be less likely to admit you--purely from a logistics standpoint. When i reached out to my poi at UBC, she strongly underlined applying for external funding and that seems to be a thing for sure at UBC (and most other Canadian schools, who are reluctant to admit international students simply because of how programs are funded and all).