Nervous about GRE scores for Fall 2019 SLP grad admission

Whynottry

Question

Hey there!

I got a 4.5 on the analytical section of the GRE but both the quantitative and verbal were under the average scores for the two. Should I be worried and retake the GRE? It would be my third time.

Feedback would be helpful!!! Thanks. 

4 answers to this question

On 11/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, Whynottry said:

Hey there!

I got a 4.5 on the analytical section of the GRE but both the quantitative and verbal were under the average scores for the two. Should I be worried and retake the GRE? It would be my third time.

Feedback would be helpful!!! Thanks. 

I think it would depend on how far below average, combined of course with all the other pieces of your application. If everything else is strong then forget it, they don't really care about your quant score and the 4.5 shows that you know how to write.

However, if your GPA is weak then it might be worth it to retake it.  It also depends hugely on the programs you are applying to. Obviously, less competitive programs will be more forgiving than the higher-ranked programs.

P. S.--If you haven't stumbled across it yet, the SLP forum (look on the home screen for the Professional Programs section) is where most of the SLP action is on Grad Cafe, with plenty of people to answer all your questions. The SLP grad school application process and program definitely have their own idiosyncrasies that people who are doing a Ph.D. program might not know about.

Edited by bibliophile222

It would depend on a few things as @bibliophile222 said. If it's below the fiftieth percentile, I would consider it, but if you have a 3.75+ GPA I wouldn't worry too much. However, I would do some research about your programs and how much they weigh GRE in terms overall profiles. A good statement of purpose always helps, too!