DrPH Applicants Fall 2019

pakiprincess

On 11/26/2018 at 2:42 PM, deacon said:

I posted earlier trying to get some feedback from people who may have attended or know someone who has attended these programs, but no luck. I missed the USF deadline, but emailed hoping for late consideration. Also applying to UNC and UIC. Don't know much about the latter.

Re:GRE - did Hopkins waive this requirement for you? If so, would you mind sharing how?

Hello! I am a UIC PhD student. If you have any questions, let me know. In terms of GRE, my scores are very low on quant and very high on analytical writing. What program at UIC are you applying to?

I'll chime in here with stats as well. I only applied to the Hopkins DrPH.

Undergrad School: Small liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.39
Major/Minor: Biology/Molecular Biology/General Science
Grad School: Two grad degrees: MPH (Epi), PhD (Bio)
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8ish for MPH, overall PhD +MPH ~3.75
Grad Studies (if applicable): see above; additional grad studies in progress include a relevant graduate certificate
GRE: waived; old scores were >75th percentile for both verbal and quant; >90th for writing
Experience/Research:
- 3 years of postdoctoral experience in basic science research
- 3 years of work in clinical trials protocol development
- 2 years of work in education/outreach related to pain management, opioids, medical cannabis
- several peer-reviewed publications, dozens of presentations including at local medical school
- currently assisting industry in designing a research/program evaluation initiative
- heading up formation of a consortium to conduct additional research in area of interest

Special factors: Already have a well-defined dissertation project and am working on getting data collection off the ground as we speak. Self-taught but deep expertise in the areas in which I am focusing my dissertation research. Have many contacts in industry and healthcare already lined up to assist as resources for this project.
LORS: Postdoc mentor, 2 supervisors for clinical trials work, supervisor for specialty consulsting work in industry

On 12/12/2018 at 9:03 AM, herewegoagain1 said:

Hello! I am a UIC PhD student. If you have any questions, let me know. In terms of GRE, my scores are very low on quant and very high on analytical writing. What program at UIC are you applying to?

Thanks. I'm applying to the DrPH program. Same for scores.

2 hours ago, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

I'll chime in here with stats as well. I only applied to the Hopkins DrPH.

Undergrad School: Small liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.39
Major/Minor: Biology/Molecular Biology/General Science
Grad School: Two grad degrees: MPH (Epi), PhD (Bio)
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8ish for MPH, overall PhD +MPH ~3.75
Grad Studies (if applicable): see above; additional grad studies in progress include a relevant graduate certificate
GRE: waived; old scores were >75th percentile for both verbal and quant; >90th for writing
Experience/Research:
- 3 years of postdoctoral experience in basic science research
- 3 years of work in clinical trials protocol development
- 2 years of work in education/outreach related to pain management, opioids, medical cannabis
- several peer-reviewed publications, dozens of presentations including at local medical school
- currently assisting industry in designing a research/program evaluation initiative
- heading up formation of a consortium to conduct additional research in area of interest

Special factors: Already have a well-defined dissertation project and am working on getting data collection off the ground as we speak. Self-taught but deep expertise in the areas in which I am focusing my dissertation research. Have many contacts in industry and healthcare already lined up to assist as resources for this project.
LORS: Postdoc mentor, 2 supervisors for clinical trials work, supervisor for specialty consulsting work in industry

Which track did you apply to?

I'll go too! I applied to Hopkins DrPH (Health Security Track) and USF DrPH

Undergrad School: Large Land-grant University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.69
Major/Minor: Anthropology
Grad School: MPH from top 25
GradGPA 3.87
Grad Studies Master of Public Health, Health Promotion
GRE: 168 V/160 Q/5.0 W
Experience/Research:
- 3 years in population health management/process improvement/healthcare administration in a healthcare organization
- 2 years in program evaluation for international training programs in zoonotic disease, bio/agroterrorism, biosafety & biosecurity
- Currently in director-level position in my organization

- listed as a co-author on two articles; listed as a contributor on 5 publications
Special factors: Mission to contribute to OneHealth initiatives from a veterinary perspective
LORS: Mentor (high level executive from previous position), Director and supervisor at current organization, colleague and leader from an international animal health organization, colleague and well-respected international expert from current job

Edited by hopskipjump13

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 7:56 PM, pakiprincess said:

Hi folks! Happy New Years! Has anyone received any interviews thus far?

I have! I interviewed and received acceptance into the University of Texas right before the break, I'm still waiting to hear back from Washington (PhD) and Colorado School of Public Health. 

Edited by sarcasmandcoffee7

20 hours ago, sarcasmandcoffee7 said:

I have! I interviewed and received acceptance into the University of Texas right before the break, I'm still waiting to hear back from Washington (PhD) and Colorado School of Public Health. 

That's great! Congrats! Was UT your top pick or is it one of the others?

On 1/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, hopskipjump13 said:

Well, I spoke too soon! Just got an email from USF this morning that I've been "recommended for acceptance"! Now to wait 2 more months for Hopkins...

Yes...the 2-month wait for Hopkins. I'm tempted to email them, but I'm sure I'd get a form response telling me to wait and linking me to their projected dates on their website.... le sigh.

4 hours ago, hopskipjump13 said:

That's great! Congrats! Was UT your top pick or is it one of the others?

Thank you so much! There are pros/cons of all the programs I applied too, but I approached the programs by finding a mentor I wanted to work with, not necessarily the school, because I hear your mentor makes or breaks your doctoral program. So, where ever I do end up going, I know I will learn from some terrific people! 

UT is my top choice, followed my Colorado, and Washington!

38 minutes ago, sarcasmandcoffee7 said:

Thank you so much! There are pros/cons of all the programs I applied too, but I approached the programs by finding a mentor I wanted to work with, not necessarily the school, because I hear your mentor makes or breaks your doctoral program. So, where ever I do end up going, I know I will learn from some terrific people! 

UT is my top choice, followed my Colorado, and Washington!

1st year DrPH at Colorado. Glad to answer any questions about the Colorado School of Public Health. 

I wanted to share this link: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ 

Type in "Public Health" and you can see the most recent admissions/rejections/waitlists as people submit them. Harvard and Johns Hopkins have started sending out interview information!

17 hours ago, sarcasmandcoffee7 said:

I wanted to share this link: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ 

Type in "Public Health" and you can see the most recent admissions/rejections/waitlists as people submit them. Harvard and Johns Hopkins have started sending out interview information!

Thanks for this, I just discovered it a couple days ago!

However, looks like it's mainly PhD interviews, haven't seen much at all for DrPH so far. Seems like DrPH programs release decisions later than PhDs, in general, from my borderline-obsessive research and forum-checking :) 

Hopkins just sent me an email requesting a phone interview THIS WEEKEND.

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Health Policy and Management Concentration of the School-wide DrPH Program at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.  As part of the admissions review process, we would like to schedule a conference call interview with you to speak with Dr. Lilly Engineer, Co-Director for the HPM DrPH Concentration.  Please mark ALL of your availability on the following dates and times."

19 hours ago, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

Hopkins just sent me an email requesting a phone interview THIS WEEKEND.

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Health Policy and Management Concentration of the School-wide DrPH Program at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.  As part of the admissions review process, we would like to schedule a conference call interview with you to speak with Dr. Lilly Engineer, Co-Director for the HPM DrPH Concentration.  Please mark ALL of your availability on the following dates and times."

That's great! And very little time to prepare! From what I understand Hopkins doesn't always do interviews, but if you're getting one you're at least being considered!

Let us know how it goes.