The Graduate Institute Geneva (IHEID) 2019

Manifesto95

Hey !

I've decided to create a new topic for those applying for interdisciplinary and disciplinary programs at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies of Geneva (IHEID), fall 2019. Normally, Early Bird applicants (disciplinary programs only) should receive decisions in January. It would be great to share info and experience here :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking for a thread like this last year when I was hunting for information about people applying.  I almost applied this year for the international history PhD but haven't had time to get everything together for it, and I'll definitely be applying next year if I don't get in anywhere this application cycle; absolutely love Geneva as a city and the opportunities GIG offers.  If any of you get in, I'd love to hear from you about your experiences at the school even if it's in different programs.  Good luck to all of you who are applying!

Received the letter stating that my application was postponed for the 2nd round consideration. I wonder what is the difference between postponing to the 2nd round decision and being on the waiting list. Does anybody know? 

Edited by Phetlorlian

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, Aleks1993 said:

So, you guys think it makes sense to go into debt for the MA in Development Studies? Still waiting for Sciences Po and Oxford, but realistically only Sciences Po could be cheaper...

For me as an American, I already have a crazy amount of student loan debt. I've lived in Geneva and Paris before and for sure Geneva is the better option if you're looking to make connections. Personally, I got into Sciences Po but chose Geneva based on networking and internships. Paris and Geneva cost about the same to live in as well. You can find a room in Geneva for around 450 euro if you're diligent and are willing to write in French. 

7 minutes ago, Allipie said:

For me as an American, I already have a crazy amount of student loan debt. I've lived in Geneva and Paris before and for sure Geneva is the better option if you're looking to make connections. Personally, I got into Sciences Po but chose Geneva based on networking and internships. Paris and Geneva cost about the same to live in as well. You can find a room in Geneva for around 450 euro if you're diligent and are willing to write in French. 

Thanks for your advise! Its good to hear that 450 is possible- How do they then arrive at estimates for at least 1800 CHF per month? As I am EU citizen and fairly poor :D I would not have to pay anything for Sciences Po, so that would be the better move. On the other hand, I do think that Geneva has the better program and faculty for what I want to do, but I might not hear back from Paris until the 15th of April, so I would have to gamble. Its complicated :D Are you completely set on Geneva? Did you already pay the 1000 CHF and everything? 

Edited by Aleks1993

1 minute ago, Aleks1993 said:

Thanks for your advise! Its good to hear that 450 is possible- How do they then arrive at estimates for at least 1800 CHF per month? As I am EU citizen and fairly poor :D I would not have to pay anything for Sciences Po, so that would be the better move. On the other hand, I do think that Geneva has the better program and faculty for what I want to do, but I might not hear back from Paris until the 15th of April, so I would have to gamble. Its complicated :D Are you completely set on Geneva? Did you already pay the 1000 CHF and everything? 

It is and isn't realistic.It all depends on where you shop, what you buy, and where you live. If you don't care about standard of living you can find things for an okay price, but you compromise things as well. For example, people will sublet for a month or two for pretty cheap, but you will have to move around a lot. For food, shop discount or take the time to go to France (which is what I did, there is a tram that goes there) and it's half the price. 

But for sure if you get the scholarship for Sciences Po I'd do that. The deadline for Geneva is the 15th. It means you can make the payment and whatnot on the same day. You just wouldn't get a lot of time to decide. 

I officially committed to Geneva, mostly because they gave me funding and it is the best program, plus I know the city and have connections there already :) I am however nervous for the housing.  

On 3/18/2019 at 1:44 PM, Allipie said:

It is and isn't realistic.It all depends on where you shop, what you buy, and where you live. If you don't care about standard of living you can find things for an okay price, but you compromise things as well. For example, people will sublet for a month or two for pretty cheap, but you will have to move around a lot. For food, shop discount or take the time to go to France (which is what I did, there is a tram that goes there) and it's half the price. 

But for sure if you get the scholarship for Sciences Po I'd do that. The deadline for Geneva is the 15th. It means you can make the payment and whatnot on the same day. You just wouldn't get a lot of time to decide. 

I officially committed to Geneva, mostly because they gave me funding and it is the best program, plus I know the city and have connections there already :) I am however nervous for the housing.  

Thank you for your insights and congrats again on the funding, I'd be there in a heartbeat ... So, are you applying for the student housing? 

I guess I wasn't really clear... I hope they come back to me by the 15th, but I fear they will not... So worst case I will pay the 1000CHF and then have to bail :D sounds horrible ... I guess I'll see what the admissions says, I wrote them an email.