Identifying potential supervisors

SunnySet

I'm applying to clinical psychology programs. In one of my submitted applications, I identified 3 potential supervisors whom I am interested in working with. I wonder whether this would be an issue? Maybe I should just focus on two or one supervisor? I now feel difficult to write my statement of intent if I want to say I'm interested in working with all of them. I think I need to focus on one or two supervisor only. However, I've already filled in the online form and I can't change it. The first one I entered is the one I wanted to work with the most.

Appreciate your help!

I think 3 is too many, personally. I only identified 2 in every program, and identified my experiences in relation to their work.

I only chose 3 mentors for one of the programs I'm applying to, but this was because I already have an established working relationship with the 3rd (whose work is way outside my interests/scope), and we met at multiple conferences this past year/is a strong colleague of my current supervisor (And happens to be the DCT for the entire program ☺️) lol

Edited by checkingmyemail

From personal experience, three is fine. If you can find three potential supervisors it means that your experiences and interests match well with the program's general research areas (assuming you're not just forcing some of the fits). Thinking long term, if you do get into the program and you end up needing to switch supervisors (for many different reasons), you have more than one faculty member who is aware of your interest (or know you) and you can choose what to do then. Having two to three is optimal!

Most of the programs I applied to required students to name at least 3 potential supervisors so that's what I did.  Usually there were 2 out of the 3 that I really wanted to work with and the third was more of a last resort.

I think 3 is fine if you’re actually interested in all of them and they are in the same area. For example, if you apply to someone who studies eating disorders, someone who studies dementia, and someone who studies OCD, it will look like you don’t have concrete interests and don’t know what you want to do. But if it makes sense to apply to 3, then go for it. More options is always good.