Letters of Recommendation

Hey there!

So I may have made an error when requesting letters of rec for grad school... most of the schools im applying to only have a slot for 3 recommenders to upload, but I ended up asking 4 people to write me one and all 4 have agreed to. I don't want to make a bad impression and have to eliminate one of them after I already asked. 

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to submit the 4th one anyways even though there is not a slot for it on the application itself? Do you think they would read it if I mailed it to their admissions office? Just curious!

44 minutes ago, LivMASpeechie said:

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to submit the 4th one anyways even though there is not a slot for it on the application itself? Do you think they would read it if I mailed it to their admissions office? Just curious!

Unless a school asks for 4 letters of recommendation, I wouldn't give them 4 letters of recommendation. Admissions committes often have more than enough to handle.

What I recommend doing though is dividing the work between the 4 professors. This will allow you to use all 4 professors.

@AlwaysaFalcon

I am planning on doing this,  however all my schools ask for 2 professor evaluations and a third one of either another professor or a supervisor. I have 2 professors evaluate me and 3 professional references (school pyschologist and two speech pathologist). 

Will the schools read all of the letters? or will they pick random 3 evaluations? Im worried they will pick randomly and it wont be from my professors.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

On 11/30/2018 at 1:10 PM, smarieSLP2b said:

Does CSDCAS allow you to select within the application portal? If there was a way you can eliminate one that would be good. If not, I wouldn't try to mail in an extra one. Regardless I don't think it's a huge deal whether they get 4 or 3.

CSDCAS gave me 6 slots, so I am uploading all 4 to there! All my other schools only have 3 slots so that is why I was considering sending them in separately.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:55 PM, Vortega said:

@AlwaysaFalcon

I am planning on doing this,  however all my schools ask for 2 professor evaluations and a third one of either another professor or a supervisor. I have 2 professors evaluate me and 3 professional references (school pyschologist and two speech pathologist). 

Will the schools read all of the letters? or will they pick random 3 evaluations? Im worried they will pick randomly and it wont be from my professors.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

I would say to call the grad schools to see what their process is! That way you know for sure :)

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, Vortega said:

@AlwaysaFalcon

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

I honestly don't know the answer for sure. LIke @LivMASpeechie said I"m sure it wouldn't hurt to call the department and ask.